Club Orange on Nieuw Statendam - Upgrade from VA?

singleflyer

9 hours ago, mcl082182 said:

We booked ocean view guaranteed on 6/18 Niew Amsterdam1-2 weeks ago. I called today and asked about upgrades and they offered V5140 for $299/p and I did it. 

What is club orange? Should I call and ask about it? What #?

Looks like you moved up from an ocean view to a Vista cabin (a change in the Mega category).  The Club Orange free upgrade would only have moved you to a better ocean view.  Since you are now in a V category, your could get Club Orange and upgrade to a VQ, but IMO that would not be worth it.  Also, on the N.A. there is no separate CO dining room, so that is not a benefit.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 5/29/2023 at 3:55 PM, kazu said:

Having your own table is no problem in Club Orange.  Is it worth it?  For me, yes.  I had one dinner and lunch in the MDR and it was one and done.  Service in Club Orange was far superior and the extra entree they offered was very good most nights.  I asked the best time to come and only encountered a 5 minute wait once.

Lineups can happen - it varies depending on your timing.  I found most lineups were people who wanted to eat there that did not have Club Orange on my sailings - LOL.

I have it booked for my Rotterdam cruise in October and looking forward to it and already had my room of choice (aft deep balcony) so no upgrade involved.  I’m doing it for the dining and the CO guest services line.  

We found that when we told them that we  didnt want a room upgrade with Club Orange that they actually charged us less for Club Orange ( 450.00 for 2 weeks , they charged us 380.00) Do not know why but we liked their math!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, robnu said:

We found that when we told them that we  didnt want a room upgrade with Club Orange that they actually charged us less for Club Orange ( 450.00 for 2 weeks , they charged us 380.00) Do not know why but we liked their math!

Can’t blame you for liking their math 👍 

• Like 1

On 5/29/2023 at 3:55 PM, kazu said:

Having your own table is no problem in Club Orange.  Is it worth it?  For me, yes.  I had one dinner and lunch in the MDR and it was one and done.  Service in Club Orange was far superior and the extra entree they offered was very good most nights.  I asked the best time to come and only encountered a 5 minute wait once.

Lineups can happen - it varies depending on your timing.  I found most lineups were people who wanted to eat there that did not have Club Orange on my sailings - LOL.

I have it booked for my Rotterdam cruise in October and looking forward to it and already had my room of choice (aft deep balcony) so no upgrade involved.  I’m doing it for the dining and the CO guest services line.  

Absolutely concur!! The smaller, private dining area we had on the NS and Rotterdam was well worth the extra cost. The other nice thing, as mentioned,  is the CO guest services line. On the first day when there is a huge line for help with using the WiFi, the CO service line staff will gladly help you with WiFi issues and any other cell phone help you might need. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sandycruzr said:

How do you book Club Orange?  I don’t see it on the app. Thanks

Search Club Orange on the HAL website. Download the PDF with the info so you know what you are getting. There is a number to call.

Make sure you have a deck plan handy when you call. You'll be choosing the upgrade room during the call.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, sandycruzr said:

How do you book Club Orange?  I don’t see it on the app. Thanks

Before you make any choices, your credit card is processed.  After that you can choose your favorite stateroom in the same category.  Have a deck plan open in case your first choice is not available.

Used this just four days ago: "Once a guest has booked their cruise, they or their travel advisor can add Club Orange by contacting Holland America Line Ship Inventory at 1-888-628-8107 or 206-626-7381."

• Like 1

On 6/6/2023 at 8:29 PM, singleflyer said:

Thanks everyone for the help.  I ended up upgrading to Club Orange.  For my 7 day cruise I was told I'd get $50 OBC if no room upgrade was available. 

Originally booked in VA, was upgraded to my choice of V rooms.  I ended up booking V5048 as it has a huge verandah plus it is a "sideways" room and looks like it has a large picture window in addition to the door to the balcony.  Seems like that plus the Club Orange dining room makes it worth $175.  

I don't see anywhere on my reservation that I have Club Orange (but the stateroom has changed).  Does it ever show up before boarding?

We are reserved for this room June 2024.  We were upgraded from an obstructed verandah to this with Club Orange. I, too am interested in the configuration of the room…the verandah is certainly ample for an additional seating ( would love a full lounger ). 

50 minutes ago, northernphoenix said:

We are reserved for this room June 2024.  We were upgraded from an obstructed verandah to this with Club Orange. I, too am interested in the configuration of the room…the verandah is certainly ample for an additional seating ( would love a full lounger ). 

There are pics of this cabin on the Koningsdam on HALFacts.com - https://halfacts.com/pinnacle-class/5048-koningsdam/

layout should be the same on the N Statendam or other Pinnacle Class ship.

Verandah categories do not have full loungers but there should be the footstool to put your feet up on.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, northernphoenix said:

congrats @northernphoenix and @singleflyer - that's a really nice balcony! Not only is it double width, which we love, but it's also deeper for a good portion of it. You should notice the extra space inside since the cabin goes "wide" instead of long. Just note it does have a different shower.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

congrats @northernphoenix and @singleflyer - that's a really nice balcony! Not only is it double width, which we love, but it's also deeper for a good portion of it. You should notice the extra space inside since the cabin goes "wide" instead of long. Just note it does have a different shower.

The shower looks like some space is taken up by the fold down seat; but I think it is a worthwhile trade off for the larger balcony and additional window.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, oakridger said:

If you are assigned this cabin but don't require and ADA Accessible room, will they kick you out if some wants to book it that does require the accessible room?  Just curious.

~Nancy

If you are assigned an accessible cabin after final payment, then there is nothing to be worried about. 
If you book an accessible cabin and don't need the features it offers, you will not be kicked out, unfortunately. Someone who needs it won't be able to book it. 

I canceled a cruise for this summer because I had booked a non-accessible cabin (didn't need an accessible cabin when I booked the cruise), but came to the point I needed an accessible cabin. I checked the website for availability every day for several months. Nothing came open in a category I could afford, so a day or two before final payment, I canceled the cruise. 

• Thanks 1

On a recent (June), last-minute, cruise we were booked into an accessible cabin.  We had to choose an alternate room should someone need it.  My PCC said he had it marked and notated to let inventory know.  I do not know if TA’s or other PCC’s follow the same protocol.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, Waxer said:

I have a guaranteed N and am thinking of buying CO. Is there any benefit to waiting for my exact cabin assignment before I buy CO? Thanks!

Not at all!  CO is capacity limited so I would get it during booking.  Since you have already booked go ahead and call HAL or your TA right away and get your cabin assignment to one you want (have the deck plan and chosen cabin options ready when you call).   

~Nancy

• Like 1

Longtime Celebrity cruiser with 3 HAL cruises on Zuiderdam and Nieuw Amsterdam.  I booked a cruise in July for end of October on Nieuw Statendam, obstructed balcony.  I didn't realize until I did some reading on cruise critic that obstructed balconies on Pinnacle class are fully obstructed.  I had read about the club orange upgrade.  I emailed my personal Cruise Consultant asking for the charge to upgrade.  Someone else responded to the email, quoted $950 and told me they could only offer one specific cabin on the Port side (a mock booking shows cabins availble).  We wanted starboard so we could see land sailing around Southern Italy.   I called today and asked 

1.  Are PCC's real people, told yes.  I wasn't sure because I've emailed her twice, no response the first time and someone else responded the second time.

2.  Asked about Club orange.  He quoted me $600.  Asked if I do that can I upgrade to an unobstructed balcony starboard side.  He said absolutely, we are now in 6049, paid 2/3 of the cost to upgrade and I get a tote bag!  Sounds like breakfast and lunch will be easier too.  Always good info shared on cruise critic!

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, skatelady said:

Longtime Celebrity cruiser with 3 HAL cruises on Zuiderdam and Nieuw Amsterdam.  I booked a cruise in July for end of October on Nieuw Statendam, obstructed balcony.  I didn't realize until I did some reading on cruise critic that obstructed balconies on Pinnacle class are fully obstructed.  I had read about the club orange upgrade.  I emailed my personal Cruise Consultant asking for the charge to upgrade.  Someone else responded to the email, quoted $950 and told me they could only offer one specific cabin on the Port side (a mock booking shows cabins availble).  We wanted starboard so we could see land sailing around Southern Italy.   I called today and asked 

1.  Are PCC's real people, told yes.  I wasn't sure because I've emailed her twice, no response the first time and someone else responded the second time.

2.  Asked about Club orange.  He quoted me $600.  Asked if I do that can I upgrade to an unobstructed balcony starboard side.  He said absolutely, we are now in 6049, paid 2/3 of the cost to upgrade and I get a tote bag!  Sounds like breakfast and lunch will be easier too.  Always good info shared on cruise critic!

Good for you.

Bolding is mine.  Breakfast and dinner will be much easier and I enjoyed CO for both.  But, CO is NOT open for lunch.  You will need to eat elsewhere for that meal (lots of choices on board).

4 minutes ago, kazu said:

Good for you.

Bolding is mine.  Breakfast and dinner will be much easier and I enjoyed CO for both.  But, CO is NOT open for lunch.  You will need to eat elsewhere for that meal (lots of choices on board).

This raises a question for non-pinnacle ships. Is there a priority line in the MDR for breakfast and lunch?

1 minute ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

This raises a question for non-pinnacle ships. Is there a priority line in the MDR for breakfast and lunch?

there is a special line for dinner.  I don’t recall seeing one at lunch.  Can’t comment on breakfast as I had CO and don’t recall signage clearly but I think there was?  Hopefully someone else can help with certainty.

1 hour ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I’ve never seen the MDR crowded at breakfast.  No need for a priority breakfast line, I would think.

On 6/7/2023 at 8:45 AM, DaveOKC said:

Looks like you moved up from an ocean view to a Vista cabin (a change in the Mega category).  The Club Orange free upgrade would only have moved you to a better ocean view.  Since you are now in a V category, your could get Club Orange and upgrade to a VQ, but IMO that would not be worth it.  Also, on the N.A. there is no separate CO dining room, so that is not a benefit.

Just now, robnu said:

If you do not request an upgrade w Club Orange and tell them you do not want an upgrade , they will charge you less for club orange, in our case for 2 weeks w no upgrade they only charged 380.00 for 2 weeks instead of 450.00 ... to us it was worth it, small and quiet dining room , better service, sometimes an additional entree compared to the MDR .. priorities on embarq and debarq and for tenders .. additional entrees on room service menus and comp mimosas , fresh squeezed oj and specialty coffees in the club orange dining room ( we had drink pkg so no big deal) We did have to wait a couple of times at dinner, no big deal we grabbed a drink and they came to get us when the table was ready

2 hours ago, robnu said:

If you do not request an upgrade w Club Orange and tell them you do not want an upgrade , they will charge you less for club orange, in our case for 2 weeks w no upgrade they only charged 380.00 for 2 weeks instead of 450.00 ...

Waiting for a price drop is a risk though.  Club Orange is capacity limited and does often sell out on busy cruises.

The true benefit to Club Orange is its free cabin upgrade.  Since you are already in a VA cabin, there isn't much left value-wise in upgrading to a V or VQ.  However, many (myself included) called the Club Orange number and they temp downgraded our cabin, from the V cabin we booked, to a VH Obstructed balcony.  On the same call, we then bought Club Orange and they upgraded us back to the original cabin we booked. Total net cost was -$60 after Club Orange cost was included. The end result was we got the cabin we wanted plus Club Orange for $60 less than our original booking itself...that's a win in my opinion.

• Like 4