Reservations Needed for Buffet

Hi all, 

Couldn't find another thread pertaining to this, apologies in advance if this has already been addressed. 

DH and I have a trip booked for October on Serenade. I just downloaded the app and was looking at the dining options. From what I found, (not taking into account the specialty restaurants) it looks as though the buffet is only serving breakfast and lunch and is now requiring reservations. Otherwise, you are seated according to availability. At least that's what it says on the app. 

The My Time Dining Room is from 6:45pm until 9:00pm. (we aren't interested in fixed dining at 5:30 so I'll not include it as an option for us)

Park Cafe will have 'snacks' from 12:30 until 6:00pm. Then from 8:30pm until 11:30pm.

The only other option would be room service which charges $7.95 if you get something other than a continental breakfast. 

To me is seems they are almost 'forcing" you to use the main dining room or pay extra for room service unless you only want a 'snack' for dinner. 

Is this something that's been happening fleetwide? We haven't been on Royal since last Oct and it wasn't like this at that time.

If it is, this will definitely change who we sail with after October. 

The Windjammer is open for dinner so that is an option too.  I know when we were on the ship a couple of months ago the app said the Windjammer was closed for dinner, but it was open every single night.  No reservations need for any meals in the Windjammer.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, twopackages said:

the app said the Windjammer was closed for dinner,

The app is incorrect until you board the ship.  If you want to see actual hours prior to your cruise you need to exit out of your sailing and select the current sailing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, runner2013 said:

Hopefully the app is wrong. It is up to date. Guess we'll see when we're on board. 

Actually, it's not right.  App is only correct once you board and connect to ships wifi with it.  

Hi!  I am a new Cruiser. I would like to know if you pick a Dinner Time, does it mean you have a table reserved at any of the complementary sit down restaurants? And can you just decide you go eat at the buffet one and if so, are we always stuck to eat at that time? Asking because I have kids cruising with me also :)

Thanks!

I saw there is 2 Main Dining Room, one on Deck 4 and one on Deck 5. Any difference? I know we also have access to Coastal Kitchen as we have a Junior Suite. So if I picked 5:30 dining time, it means I can go to any of them and that we have a reservation done for 5:30 for every night?

Thanks! :)

1 minute ago, FamilyCruise101 said:

I saw there is 2 Main Dining Room, one on Deck 4 and one on Deck 5. Any difference? I know we also have access to Coastal Kitchen as we have a Junior Suite. So if I picked 5:30 dining time, it means I can go to any of them and that we have a reservation done for 5:30 for every night?

Thanks! 🙂

If you choose 5:30 dining you will be assigned to a specific dining room and table in that dining room.   As far as I know Coastal Kitchen reservations for Junior Suites is not guaranteed only if space is available and those reservations are separate from Main Dining, deck 4 and 5.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, akcruz said:

If you choose 5:30 dining you will be assigned to a specific dining room and table in that dining room.   As far as I know Coastal Kitchen reservations for Junior Suites is not guaranteed only if space is available and those reservations are separate from Main Dining, deck 4 and 5.

Ohhh ok thanks! that's good to know! So I guess for Coastal Kitchen it would be once on the boat that I can reserve do you know or I will be able to reserve in advance it I wanna plan with my kids?

1 minute ago, FamilyCruise101 said:

Ohhh ok thanks! that's good to know! So I guess for Coastal Kitchen it would be once on the boat that I can reserve do you know or I will be able to reserve in advance it I wanna plan with my kids?

I believe you have to wait until you are onboard but not positive.  I am sure someone will know and respond.  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, FamilyCruise101 said:

Hi!  I am a new Cruiser. I would like to know if you pick a Dinner Time, does it mean you have a table reserved at any of the complementary sit down restaurants? And can you just decide you go eat at the buffet one and if so, are we always stuck to eat at that time? Asking because I have kids cruising with me also 🙂

Thanks!

35 minutes ago, FamilyCruise101 said:

Thanks! 🙂

27 minutes ago, FamilyCruise101 said:

What ship will you be on?

13 hours ago, FamilyCruise101 said:

Thanks! 🙂

Both decks of the MDR have the same menus each night. If you select early dining (5:30 PM), you will have an assigned table in the MDR for every night of the cruise (i.e. the same table each night). You can also go to the Windjammer instead of the MDR any night of the cruise. It’s not required, but we always tell our wait staff if we are not going to be at dinner in the MDR on certain night(s) of the cruise (if/when we have reservations at speciality restaurants). You only have access to Coastal Kitchen if space is available. The last time I stayed in a JS on Odyssey, the only available times in Coastal Kitchen were late times (8:30 PM or 8:45 PM). That is too late for us so we never ate dinner at Coastal Kitchen that cruise. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Ashland said:

Recently on Serenade sorry you have old info. Enjoy the ship...the WJ is great and we ate all our meals there during our Alaska and Panama Canal cruise.

Other than a few nights in the specialty restaurants, we did as well on our Panama canal cruise..

13 hours ago, FamilyCruise101 said:

And can you just decide you go eat at the buffet one and if so, are we always stuck to eat at that time?

You van go to the Windjammer buffet any time it is open, and eat whenever, whatever, and how much you want. We often go to the WJ as soon as it opens in the evening to see what they are serving before deciding whether to eat there or in the MDR - the WJ usually wins😇🍗

Edited by orville99
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, orville99 said:

You van go to the Windjammer buffet any time it is open, and eat whenever, whatever, and how much you want. We often go to the WJ as soon as it opens in the evening to see what they are serving before deciding whether to eat there or in the MDR - the WJ usually wins😇🍗

Can you decide to go have a lil snack in the WJ to hold you off until you get a late night dinning or it's one or the other?

19 minutes ago, FamilyCruise101 said:

Can you decide to go have a lil snack in the WJ to hold you off until you get a late night dinning or it's one or the other?

You can come and go to the WJ during their open hours as often as you like...no one is watching or cares. It's an open buffet area.

40 minutes ago, FamilyCruise101 said:

Sure. You can eat pretty much 24/7 on a cruise ship

1 hour ago, FamilyCruise101 said:

Anthem of the Seas

On Anthem, the host's podium for Coastal Kitchen is in the hallway outside Coastal Kitchen and near the exit for the Windjammer buffet area. When you board the ship, go right to the host's desk and ask about making reservations for dinner in Coastal Kitchen.  You may be able to get a reservation for dinner that night or the next night (depends on availability. 

1 hour ago, FamilyCruise101 said:

That depends.  Did you purchase the Unlimited Buffet Package (UBP)? :classic_unsure:

Edited by 3CatsInMA
  • Haha 1