Would you spend $14,000 on a cruise?

Sigyn

Have you priced adventure cruises - not the luxury adventure cruises but the more normal ones.  It would be hard to get one of those for less than 14K and I have seen ones that I would love to do that are as high 20K to 45K.  I would do them if I could afford them in a heartbeat.  On the other hand there are cruises where you would have to pay me 14K to do them.

DON

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We are spending about that for a 2 week Europe river cruise plus pre cruise in Paris, standard balcony room.

That is in Australian dollars, not sure how that translates to US dollars which I presume the article is using.

But that is everything, airfares, transfers, all food/ drinks, tips, excursions included 

Most all inclusive river cruises from Australia are about that..

20 hours ago, Sigyn said:

Interesting article about $14,000 cruises

18 hours ago, ColeThornton said:

I can do multiple cruises in very comfortable surrounding for that much.  I'm not really the luxury type.

17 hours ago, cruiseaholic777 said:

I would rather go on more cruises than pay a high price for just 1.

I generally agree with the philosophy mentioned in these quotes.

14 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

At some point, however, wouldn’t you draw the line between saving money and enjoying the experience?   I would rather go one one enjoyable cruise than four bare-bones poor service, bad food boring itinerary trips.  We all have bottom lines below which we will not go - no matter how cheap the cost.

I absolutely agree with you too.  I've never had a bare-bones cruise with poor experience or bad food.  Some of the itineraries have been meh, but that's a recent development because I've been to some of these places several times before.

17 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Not only would I not pay $100 for a seven day March cruise to the Bahamas on NCL, I would probably pay several times that amount to avoid it.  I have recently booked a several thousand $ seven day cruise to Bermuda for the two of us.  

10 hours ago, George C said:

We spend about 11k each year total on a 7 day music charter that has great music stars from 70’s , inside cabins are about 3k each , but our 5,500 gets us a royal suite with drink setup of our choice and unlimited specialty restaurants, drink package etc , even had a hot tub on balcony, which we never use. Next year has Don McLean, Dave Mason, Foreigner , Mellisa Manchester, War etc etc. 

Funny thing about the Bahamas on NCL.  I have an upcoming 3-day cruise that I paid far more than $100 for on the NCL Pearl.  It's a music charter similar to what @George C explained above - only there's just two headliners and some other performers.

Next year looks to be the most expensive year I've ever had for cruising.  The four cruises are on four different mainstream lines (Carnival, NCL, Celebrity, Royal) and are a mix of interiors and oceanviews - no great luxury for me.  Three are music charters and the other one is a longer cruise that will give me $850 in OBC if I can somehow make it onboard.  I added them up and they're costing me about $11k for the lot of them.  This includes the base fare, port fees, and "mandatory" grats, but nothing else.  I'm not bragging, but I think I made about the best deals I could on the type of cruises I want to go on.  I don't have any interest in the more upscale lines for now, but who knows where I'll be in 10 years or more?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kristelle said:

We are spending about that for a 2 week Europe river cruise plus pre cruise in Paris, standard balcony room.

That is in Australian dollars, not sure how that translates to US dollars which I presume the article is using.

But that is everything, airfares, transfers, all food/ drinks, tips, excursions included 

Most all inclusive river cruises from Australia are about that..

AUS$14,000 is about equal to US$9,000 at current exchange rates

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Joebucks said:

Maybe I'm using the term "world cruise" lightly, but you can get 30 day cruises on Princess for under $3000 a person. 

Not in my world.  While you might be able to book a lowest cost inside cabin for that price, you need to add things like gratuities (about $1000 per couple), onboard expenses, the cost of getting to/from the ports, etc.   And on Princess, you would not even have two chairs in that cabin :).

And yes, you are using the term "world cruise" lightly :).  The lowest cost Princess World Cruise is far in excess of $30,000 a couple.  And even the lowest cost inside cabin, on a short 34 day segment, will cost you over $13,000 (not including tips/air or expenses).

Hank

10 hours ago, donaldsc said:

Have you priced adventure cruises - not the luxury adventure cruises but the more normal ones.  It would be hard to get one of those for less than 14K and I have seen ones that I would love to do that are as high 20K to 45K.  I would do them if I could afford them in a heartbeat.  On the other hand there are cruises where you would have to pay me 14K to do them.

DON

Recently broke open the piggy-bank to book a 2.5 week land/sea trip to Peru in Sept. 2024 (including the Galapogos and Machu Picchu). It’s a combo of  a 40 passenger expedition ship and mostly Belmond hotels. Definitely, a bucket list item at $15k per person (not including the air). Given the reputation of the tour company we’re using, it should be money well spent.

FWIW: when it comes to an example of a $14,000 per person cruise that would be OK with me, 6 weeks in a veranda cabin (with O Life and O Club Platinum perks) on Oceania (before TA rebate) sounds about right for something with assured quality and value.

Moreover, I am convinced that many infrequent travelers are unaware of the contemporary cost of international trips (land and/or water) which can easily top $300 per person per day at the bottom line of all planned expenses.

• Like 4

On 6/11/2023 at 8:10 AM, Sigyn said:

Really poorly written article (that is not unusual in the industry). Click bait. Not even clear about if the $14000 is per person or per couple/cabin. 

We are booked for 5 weeks on HAL in the So.Pacific for slightly over $20000 (for both of us) and have already paid out $800 for additional shore excursions in Hawaii. This is not "nickel and diming". This is paying for what you use or want to experience.

OTOH, we just today "paid" CCL $1000 not to make us sail on their ships.

• Like 4

On 6/11/2023 at 11:04 PM, donaldsc said:

DON

Exactly, it you want to do an expedition cruise to Antarctica you're going to spend at least that much.

It depends his long the cruise is and where it is going.  As a single I have come close to that figure on a 54 night cruise from London (Dover) to Australia.  The itinerary included many places I had not been to before and as a single traveller was not likely to get there unless on a cruise.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/11/2023 at 2:50 PM, Aquahound said:

Great point.  For a special occasion, I might consider that price tag for a high-end suite on a line I love like Royal Caribbean or Celebrity.  However, I do not see myself dropping that kind of cash on so-called "luxury" lines that do not have the amenities I really enjoy on a cruise. 

So true!  We did a Radisson Seven Seas Athens-Istanbul years ago on a 6-star ship.  She was glorious, spectacular crew ... but I spent far too much time wondering what was luxury and what was just nice.  'Luxury' is rather lost on this girl who grew up in Northern Minnesota.  I'd rather cut off my foot than have a Butler, or a personal Concierge, or canapes delivered to my cabin before dinner.  

• Like 4

Of course I would spend $14,000 on a cruise - but then there are cruises I would spend money on just to avoid.  As with virtually every question, an intelligent answer should start with “It depends”.

Would you spend $14,000 on a car?  Gladly if it were a new Land Rover or a good new Mercedes — but hardly likely if it were a mid 70’s rusted heap.

I spent well over 14k on what would become my all time favorite cruise, and it was on a mainstream line (insert sound of a particular person on this thread fainting). It was on Celebrity Flora. 

I’ve also dropped that kind of dough on a few other cruises. Most, I thought were worth it. I’ll gladly do it again for a top suite on Celebrity Edge Class or on Viking Ocean. RCI Crown Lofts - yea, maybe. I would never spend that kind of money on NCL, Carnival, Oceania, Princess, or HAL though. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

I spent well over 14k on what would become my all time favorite cruise, and it was on a mainstream line (insert sound of a particular person on this thread fainting). It was on Celebrity Flora. 

I’ve also dropped that kind of dough on a few other cruises. Most, I thought were worth it. I’ll gladly do it again for a top suite on Celebrity Edge Class or on Viking Ocean. RCI Crown Lofts - yea, maybe. I would never spend that kind of money on NCL, Carnival, Oceania, Princess, or HAL though. 

Have you actually sailed Oceania - or are aware of some of their many itineraries in the $14,000 range ?  Seems strange to classify them with the likes of NCL and Carnival.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Have you actually sailed Oceania - or are aware of some of their many itineraries in the $14,000 range ?  Seems strange to classify them with the likes of NCL and Carnival.

I have - several times. They used to be one of my favorite lines. But since falling under NCL, I experienced significant decline and I am not happy with their product anymore. Thank goodness Viking created an ocean line because they feel more like what Oceania used to be. 

I also can’t stand R class ships, which significantly reduces my O choices. 

49 minutes ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

I have - several times. They used to be one of my favorite lines. But since falling under NCL, I experienced significant decline and I am not happy with their product anymore. Thank goodness Viking created an ocean line because they feel more like what Oceania used to be. 

How did you stand Oceania - when most of their ships were R class (which I happen to prefer greatly over the absurd, multi thousand passenger tubs which cannot even enter many most attractive ports)?

Of course, the declines in product are, sadly, across the board - and much more pronounced on the mass market lines.  

32 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

How did you stand Oceania - when most of their ships were R class (which I happen to prefer greatly over the absurd, multi thousand passenger tubs which cannot even enter many most attractive ports)?

It’s not a competition, NBT. Different people like and dislike different things - although I know that concept is getting harder and harder to accept nowadays. 🙄

• Like 2

Been there, done that. Depending on your itinerary, your cabin location, how many days onboard and money for extras. You could very well spend 14K. The last cruise I was on, was 33 days. So, if you do the math. 

• Like 1

On 7/4/2023 at 11:57 AM, Cruzaholic41 said:

This is our experience exactly.   Prior to NCL, Oceania was far and away our favorite line.  We sailed twice after that acquisition and began our search for something else.  Sad, because back in the day, they were truly special, IMO.  (Although we didn't mind the R-class ships.)

11 hours ago, aungrl said:

This is our experience exactly.   Prior to NCL, Oceania was far and away our favorite line.  We sailed twice after that acquisition and began our search for something else.  Sad, because back in the day, they were truly special, IMO.  (Although we didn't mind the R-class ships.)

Agree with the fact that Oceania has slid in recent years (not as badly as NCL) - but then, what cruise line, other than the really top shelf, has not degraded?  Certainly Princess, Carnival, Celebrity, HAL, Royal Caribbean, etc. have all entered the race to the bottom.  One thing Oceania still offers (aside from generally superior itineraries) is the ability to enter smaller ports.  A cruise to Bermuda stopping at St. George and Hamilton is far better than those offered by the big ship operators which can only fit into that out-of-the-way tourist trap of Dockyard.

• Like 1

Yup I would because we have.   Business class air fare takes a big chunk.  And you can't book business class fares at the same price the cruise lines get them at either.  

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Agree with the fact that Oceania has slid in recent years (not as badly as NCL) - but then, what cruise line, other than the really top shelf, has not degraded?  Certainly Princess, Carnival, Celebrity, HAL, Royal Caribbean, etc. have all entered the race to the bottom.  One thing Oceania still offers (aside from generally superior itineraries) is the ability to enter smaller ports.  A cruise to Bermuda stopping at St. George and Hamilton is far better than those offered by the big ship operators which can only fit into that out-of-the-way tourist trap of Dockyard.

In terms of O “sliding,” being more specific might help the discussion.

We’ve done about 100 nights on O ships over the past 12 months and the only significant issues noticed/experienced are fourfold:

1) Because of the pandemic shut down, many of the seasoned long-serving hotel crew moved on to other pursuits. Industry wide competition for replacements has been fierce, particularly with several new cruise lines coming online. This has resulted in a challenge to acquire and  train/acculturate new hires and there will naturally be instances where tyro status and “new hire” performance will be noticeable.

2) Somewhat similarly, Destination Services has been impacted, not only by onboard staff replacement but also, by the upheaval of “restart” changes among the contracted tour providers and experiences themselves (including existing ones needing to return to service and new ones coming online). Note as well that many of the pre-pandemic private tour providers are permanently shut down.

3) Breadth and depth of food and beverage service provisioning (the “supply chain”) was especially hard hit by the pandemic and full recovery is still a long way off. Occasional hiccups in food prep and service are nothing new. Yet, IMO (as someone whose standards have been fashioned in cosmopolitan cities like NY and SF), O still does an exemplary job in keeping us (and you) well fed -particularly across the span of multi-segment cruises.

4) Itinerary modifications have certainly been noticeable (more so in 2022 than in 2023), again, primarily due to weather and, to a lesser (but significant) degree, the restart of cruise port operations (also impacted by staffing and equipment challenges) among everchanging Covid et al. restrictions.
But, let’s be realistic. No cruise line wants to modify itineraries. On our multiple recent O segments, there have been several missed/replacement ports and what some  average cruisers seem to not understand is the significant cost in time, work and navigational/operational $$$ to replace a port with added expenses (while still paying for, at least, some of the contracted services in the missed port and not passing the net added cost on to the passengers). And, yes, even added sea days come at a cost of additional food expenditures and manpower scheduling.

To those who may disagree with these observations and who still insist that their prognosis of perceived O shortcomings is permanently irreversible, I suggest that you jump ship and choose another line (which, of course, will have exactly the same issues for the easily foreseeable future). Don’t worry about O. There are already plenty of other new and veteran cruisers ready to replace you.