Missed departure do to medical emergency- trying to catch up any ideas.

jtslattery

En route staffing said I could rejoin at first port (would arrive after ship departed) but not the second because it was a tender port. Said only ship could approved. After several lies ship said only corporate could approve and, so sorry, corporate would not be in until sometime today. Need a resolution by around noon or can’t catch a flight to second port. Anybody have any ideas or magic phone numbers to share

Check in with your insurance while you are at it.

Are you covered for cancellation with the medical emergency or do you have to make an effort to catch the ship in order to qualify for trip delay/interruption?

Ask them how to proceed so that you know the consequences of your decision.

37 minutes ago, jtslattery said:

En route staffing said I could rejoin at first port (would arrive after ship departed) but not the second because it was a tender port. Said only ship could approved. After several lies ship said only corporate could approve and, so sorry, corporate would not be in until sometime today. Need a resolution by around noon or can’t catch a flight to second port. Anybody have any ideas or magic phone numbers to share

Do you have a TA or CVP that could help you?

In responce to your questions

No insurance

TA is working on it but we are running out of time

itinerary SFO, sea day, sea day, Ketchikan, Juneau, several more Alaskan ports,Prince Rupert, 2 sea days, SFO

No EzAir but their en route staffing said yes to Ketchikan but only ship could approve Juneau

36 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Did you purchase EZAir?  If so, the enroute team should be able to help.  
How about Princess Vacation Protection?  
Also, what is the itinerary?  

Just some comments on enroute on a different situation.......

I have to tell you that I had a friend flying Wednesday night to Heathrow for a Saturday cruise. Their flight to Newark was cancelled due to weather. They tried working with the enroute number and also United directly and could not get satisfactory flights. They wanted Economy Plus (what they booked) but even the standard economy flights would take 30+ hours or would arrive Saturday around noon for a 4 pm departure. They thought Princess enroute was useless. My guess is there were no seats to be found. Plus - Southampton had 5 ships that day and a music festival so there was going to be huge traffic and congestion (TA had received a warning from Princess about this). They did have Princess insurance and booked air through Princess. This will be interesting how this plays out as they want a refund (expensive Norway trip, not one they run often).

Edited by Coral

3 minutes ago, Coral said:

I have to tell you that I had a friend flying Wednesday night to Heathrow for a Saturday cruise. Their flight to Newark was cancelled due to weather. They tried working with the enroute number and also United directly and could not get satisfactory flights. They wanted Economy Plus (what they booked) but even the standard economy flights would take 30+ hours or would arrive Saturday around noon for a 4 pm departure. They thought Princess enroute was useless. My guess is there were no seats to be found. Plus - Southampton had 5 ships that day and a music festival so there was going to be huge traffic and congestion (TA had received a warning from Princess about this). They did have Princess insurance and booked air through Princess. This will be interesting how this plays out as they want a refund (expensive Norway trip, not one they run often).

How does this gloom and doom help the OP?

The enroute number I have 800-545-0008  or 661-284-4410

Good Luck

Edited by cruzsnooze
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Your best bet is to catch up with the ship in Ketchikan. This will be very expensive since you have no insurance.

Last minute flight to a very secluded city

Violation of PVSA ($790) since you will board in Alaska and disembark in San Francisco.

Good Luck

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The OP is still stopping at a foreign port.  Is the problem that is not a closed loop cruise?

What about Panama Canal

or other repositioning cruises that leave one US city and return to a different one?

14 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Violation of PVSA ($790) since you will board in Alaska and disembark in San Francisco

42 minutes ago, jtslattery said:

No insurance

itinerary SFO, sea day, sea day, Ketchikan, Juneau, several more Alaskan ports,Prince Rupert, 2 sea days, SFO

No EzAir but their en route staffing said yes to Ketchikan but only ship could approve Juneau

If you had insurance, it looks like not worth chasing the ship.  But I suppose you are trying to salvage something out of expensed funds.  Seems odd cannot get to Ketchikan in time, but must be very limited flights.  Juneau - I don't understand why it matters that it is a tender (water shuttle) port.  Is someone from Guest Services not interested in coming ashore to check you in?  

On Princess.com, there is a list of marine phone numbers for each ship.  Since your funds are sunk already, why not call the ship and bypass all the run-around you are getting?  I would have called the ship on the weekend to inquire about Juneau.  Wish I had seen this post earlier.

The OP might want to check their credit card benefits (for the card they used to purchase the cruise) to see if there are any trip cancelation/interruption benefits.  Some cards (especially the higher end cards like the Chase Sapphire cards) have some insurance built into the benefits.

Hank

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Your best bet is to catch up with the ship in Ketchikan. This will be very expensive since you have no insurance.

Last minute flight to a very secluded city

Violation of PVSA ($790) since you will board in Alaska and disembark in San Francisco.

Good Luck

13 minutes ago, theloo said:

The OP is still stopping at a foreign port.  Is the problem that is not a closed loop cruise?

What about Panama Canal

or other repositioning cruises that leave one US city and return to a different one?

Since the altered cruise is from one US port to a different US port, no longer a closed loop, it requires a stop at a "distant" foreign port to comply with the PVSA.  A "distant" foreign port is defined by CBP as one that is outside North and Central America, the Caribbean, the Bahamas, and Bermuda.

Panama canal cruises will always have a port call in South America (typically Cartagena, Colombia) to meet the PVSA requirements.  Also, the "ABC" islands, Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao, are considered part of South America, so those are also "distant" foreign ports.

For the OP, typically, a medical emergency will not qualify as a reason to allow down line boarding in violation of the PVSA, and the cruise lines will not knowingly violate the act.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 7

Now wondering if he took the flight - what a situation to be in.  Sounds like it is a long cruise so probably worth the extra money to get there and the fine if applicable.  At least he saved some $$ not buying the insurance (have to find a little silver lining)

2 hours ago, puppycanducruise said:

What is your itinerary?

You could have problems if boarding in a second port if it violates the PVSA.

Should not be a problem. We were just on the Discovery b2b RT Seattle and on both cruises several people boarded at Ketchikan and the only Canadian port was Victoria 

3 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

How does this gloom and doom help the OP?

The enroute number I have 800-545-0008  or 661-284-4410

Good Luck

Just saying enroute number isn't always helpful. They were not recently for my friends.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, memoak said:

Should not be a problem. We were just on the Discovery b2b RT Seattle and on both cruises several people boarded at Ketchikan and the only Canadian port was Victoria 

It depends on the reason that the embarkation was missed.  If it was outside the passenger's control (weather or airline cancellation), then it is usually allowed.  The OP doesn't say whether or not the medical emergency was the OP's or someone else's.  If it was a family member, then it really isn't an "act of god", and wouldn't be allowed.  Also, if the reason was an airline problem, and the air reservations were through the cruise line, then typically the cruise line will swallow the fine.  The fine is after all levied against the cruise line, and it is in the ticket contract that allows the cruise line to pass the fine to you the passenger.

• Like 1

Just want to extend my condolences to the OP on their situation. I think it can be easy to say they should have bought trip insurance, but it gets $$ to do that with each trip and if your health is good, it can seem like an unnecessary expense. And of course, hindsight is 20/20.

We lost $3K on a Hawaiian vacation we had to cancel after my husband was hospitalized a week before the trip with a cardiac issue. Credit card trip insurance would not cover it because it was a vacation rental (it was in the fine print) so we had to eat the loss. We have taken two cruises since then because the cruise line insurance/cancel any reason is the only insurance he can get without paying an exorbitant fee.

OP, I hope everyone is OK and that you were able to board and enjoy at least part of your vacation.

4 hours ago, jtslattery said:

No insurance

Problem is that boarding in any Alaska port and then returning to San Francisco would violate PVSA.

You need a corporate to approve.  The ship needs to agree to letting you board at a tender port, but corporate needs to approve since it would violate PVSA.  Two different problems.  First need corporate to approve boarding anywhere in Alaska.  Once you get that then you can deal with the ship approving boarding at a tender port. The second problem is easier than the first.

At this point I would personally not be chasing lost money with good money. Last minute flights. PVSA violations. And all must be arranged and decided upon in mere hours? No way. Your natural impulses over FOMO (fear of missing out) are going to cause you to make poor financial choices.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Coral said:

Just some comments on enroute on a different situation.......

I read about that on another thread.