June 2023 Please post pics of new menus w/ changes

cluso

20 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

You actually believe it is nosediving???

I can only speak to Royal.  While there always have been and always will be changes and honestly a lot of times change is good and keeps things fresh, since covid, the food quality in the MDR has declined significantly.  The quality of the food is on par with lower end banquet food.  While I do understand that the MDR is serving a few thousand people on a ship and basically is a large banquet hall.  However, if you go back 5, 10, 15 years, the quality was very good and on par with nicer land based restaurants.  We are lucky enough to live near a large east cost city and dine at a fairly wide range of restaurants both in the city and in the suburbs and by comparison, Royal's current MDR offerings do not compare.  Jason Liberty, since the restart, has touted what a bargain cruising is and that their competition is not other cruise lines but rather land based experiences and that they will and have been increasing their prices to comparable levels.  I can tell you with 100% certainty, just about every restaurant I've dined at on land surpasses the food I've received in the MDR (and even 150 Central Park) on my last few cruises.

We booked our first X cruise (Alaska on Edge in 2024), I'm just concerned, based on some of the comments I'm reading (and which remind me of what I've actually experienced first hand on Royal), that the X experience we'll have will not be the one that we've heard so many great things about over the years.

We'll keep an open mind and look forward to experiencing X for ourselves.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

yet better in the Specialties...

Agreed. I had read so many mixed reviews about Tuscan Grille I was almost loathe to try it on Millie in March. It was excellent! Multiple appetizer courses, pastas, steak, wine, grappa... all very very good. Food was great in LPC and Sushi on 5 as well. I for sure don't see a problem in the specialties.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Jjohnb said:

I can only speak to Royal.  While there always have been and always will be changes and honestly a lot of times change is good and keeps things fresh, since covid, the food quality in the MDR has declined significantly.  The quality of the food is on par with lower end banquet food.  While I do understand that the MDR is serving a few thousand people on a ship and basically is a large banquet hall.  However, if you go back 5, 10, 15 years, the quality was very good and on par with nicer land based restaurants.  We are lucky enough to live near a large east cost city and dine at a fairly wide range of restaurants both in the city and in the suburbs and by comparison, Royal's current MDR offerings do not compare.  Jason Liberty, since the restart, has touted what a bargain cruising is and that their competition is not other cruise lines but rather land based experiences and that they will and have been increasing their prices to comparable levels.  I can tell you with 100% certainty, just about every restaurant I've dined at on land surpasses the food I've received in the MDR (and even 150 Central Park) on my last few cruises.

We booked our first X cruise (Alaska on Edge in 2024), I'm just concerned, based on some of the comments I'm reading (and which remind me of what I've actually experienced first hand on Royal), that the X experience we'll have will not be the one that we've heard so many great things about over the years.

We'll keep an open mind and look forward to experiencing X for ourselves.

Spot on. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Agreed. I had read so many mixed reviews about Tuscan Grille I was almost loathe to try it on Millie in March. It was excellent! Multiple appetizer courses, pastas, steak, wine, grappa... all very very good. 

Tuscan Grill is off our list, three consecutive strikes and you are out.  Long wait time to order, wrong orders, overcooked meat and pastas, some entrees swimming in sauce, cold veggies, wait staff that liked to chat with other wait staff, etc.  And, those darn contoured knives that just roll off your plate no matter how you place them.

Yes, all were reported the following day.  One time they apologized.

I consider myself a fairly decent cook, I cook at home quite a bit. I don’t think the decline of the food quality on Celebrity has anything to do with the chefs and their kitchen staff.

I know when I use better ingredients I put better tasting meals on the table. It’s that simple.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, cluso said:

Yes, all were reported the following day.  One time they apologized.

I think we hit pretty much all your issues on our last Tuscan visit on Eclipse in January, but I spoke to the Maître d' on the way out as he asked if we had enjoyed ourselves, gave him the full run down and he asked if we would hold back on any feedback comments and give him another chance to prove they could do better, and he made a complementary reservation for us two days later.

To their credit they did a far better job the second time around but it was clear that everyone had been coached to hit perfection this time around, from the initial table seating, dead centre of the window for the best view (complete with a pod of dolphins performing as we sat down 🙂 ) to the extreme care being taken with each course.

It was a win, but the problem remains that this should be the normal standard, not a recovery exercise.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Mark_T said:

I think we hit pretty much all your issues on our last Tuscan visit on Eclipse in January, but I spoke to the Maître d' on the way out as he asked if we had enjoyed ourselves, gave him the full run down and he asked if we would hold back on any feedback comments and give him another chance to prove they could do better, and he made a complementary reservation for us two days later.

To their credit they did a far better job the second time around but it was clear that everyone had been coached to hit perfection this time around, from the initial table seating, dead centre of the window for the best view (complete with a pod of dolphins performing as we sat down 🙂 ) to the extreme care being taken with each course.

It was a win, but the problem remains that this should be the normal standard, not a recovery exercise.

Okay now everyone’s gonna want performing dolphins at Tuscan 🤣🤣 🐬 😅 

• Haha 8

7 hours ago, kruzerci said:

I know most cruisers are, but I am not overweight just FYI

Wait, are you suggesting that most people who cruise are overweight?  Seems like a broad generalization but I honestly hadn’t noticed. I’m not overweight but that isn’t to say I don’t put on a pound or two when I cruise. When I get back home and into my routine, I take the cruise weight off again until the next one. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Wait, are you suggesting that most people who cruise are overweight?  Seems like a broad generalization but I honestly hadn’t noticed. I’m not overweight but that isn’t to say I don’t put on a pound or two when I cruise. When I get back home and into my routine, I take the cruise weight off again until the next one. 

I would think you would react to the post I was commenting to instead of mine! 

22 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I wasn’t trying to make a generalization but yes as a matter of observation, I would firmly say at least half of the passengers on my sailings the past five years have been overweight. Not being judgmental, just a matter of the current society and an observation. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, kruzerci said:

I wasn’t trying to make a generalization but yes as a matter of observation, I would firmly say at least half of the passengers on my sailings the past five years have been overweight. Not being judgmental, just a matter of the current society and an observation. 

As a general rule DH and I stay out of the buffet for the very tendency to over eat…I guess I just hadn’t noticed. And I agree that current society as a whole could stand to lose a few. 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

As a general rule DH and I stay out of the buffet for the very tendency to over eat…I guess I just hadn’t noticed. And I agree that current society as a whole could stand to lose a few. 

gp - the poster to whom you responded to initially, believed that my post about bariatric surgery was directed to them personally, I did explain that it was a general and not personal comment.

My apology and explanation has yet to be acknowledged, which is fine...

I trust that most posters here know and appreciate that I do not engage in personal attacks, regardless of my thoughts...

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953
Grammar correction...
  • Like 5

On 6/21/2023 at 8:13 AM, horseymike said:

no franks and beans ?

They did have Pork and Beans as an Entree in Blu.    Don’t know why they called it that as it wasn’t anything like the canned stuff.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

gp - the poster to whom you responded to initially, believed that my post about bariatric surgery was directed to them personally, I did explain that it was a general and not personal comment.

My apology and explanation has yet to be acknowledged, which is fine...

I trust that most posters here know and appreciate that I do not engage in personal attacks, regardless of my thoughts...

bon voyage

Ah, now I understand...and yes, I saw your comment but didn't think anything of it as anyone who is familiar with @Bo1953 knows that he is nothing but kind...always. ☺️

• Thanks 1

Not a single post of June new menus and pictures on this thread.  It would be nice to see some pictures of current real menus.  I will come back with mine in a couple months.  

How about anyone else on an actual cruise?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

We embark Equinox next Sunday for a 6 night cruise.  We are not eligible to dine in Blu or Luminae so MDR it is!  I will post pics and menus.  

Thank you!  The dining apps don't appear to be correct very often.  Enjoy the cruise.  Dup=Duplicate--I asked the moderators to delete that thread.

• Thanks 1

These types of threads remind me that this forum is no different than every other restaurant or hotel review site everywhere.  This place is great!  Best Italian food I have had this side of Italy!  Five stars!  Next review: If I could give less than one star, I would. This place is the worst.  

Clearly we all need to form our own opinions, and whatever our own opinion is, it's the most important one.  For us.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

We embark Equinox next Sunday for a 6 night cruise.  We are not eligible to dine in Blu or Luminae so MDR it is!  I will post pics and menus.  

Apparently we need a picture of the cheezburger!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, miched said:

They did have Pork and Beans as an Entree in Blu.    Don’t know why they called it that as it wasn’t anything like the canned stuff.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

A healthier presentation, possibly??? 

LOL...

bon appetit and bon voyage

On 6/21/2023 at 9:28 AM, mahasamatman said:

Only if you don't care about accuracy.

Your experience may be different but on my last Apex cruise of about 40 days they were in the range of 95%+ accurate.    Only on one occasion did they have the wrong menu for the day.

On out 3rd cruise they had to pull the Daniel B's Chicken dish as they had not received it.   It was removed on both the App and Printed Menus'

3 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

A healthier presentation, possibly??? 

LOL...

bon appetit and bon voyage

If I recall it was Pork Belly served on a bed of White Beans.     I'm not a big fan of Pork Belly so passed.   

• Haha 1