The real reason it cost more for everything on Celebrity

Ha ha...story of my life lately...paying more for less.  Just the other day I spent over a hundred bucks for 2 bags of groceries that contained no wine and no meat...and this was at Wal-Mart!  No industry is immune to the more for less economy we're in right now.  😌

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Ha ha...story of my life lately...paying more for less.  Just the other day I spent over a hundred bucks for 2 bags of groceries that contained no wine and no meat...and this was at Wal-Mart!  No industry is immune to the more for less economy we're in right now.  😌

I know the feeling, I came back from our Walmart equivalent ( Asda) in the UK having spent over  £140 and I didn’t have anything for dinner…I did have some wine though…it would be rude not to take advantage of an offer… 

• Like 2
  • Haha 12

5 hours ago, chemmo said:

I know the feeling, I came back from our Walmart equivalent ( Asda) in the UK having spent over  £140 and I didn’t have anything for dinner…I did have some wine though…it would be rude not to take advantage of an offer… 

Skip the Meal and go for the Wine................

• Haha 3

Yesterday we had lunch at a local restaurant that isn’t a greasy spoon.   

We both had the lobster roll.   It is 1/2 lb of lobster and choice of sides.   It was $24 and it wasn’t  a lunch or any other special.  Normal price that is always on the menu

Compared to the lobster rolls they have been serving in Luminae lately I think Celebrity would have made at least 20 lobster rolls out of it.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

IMG_1096.jpeg

• Like 6

10 hours ago, miched said:

Yesterday we had lunch at a local restaurant that isn’t a greasy spoon.   

We both had the lobster roll.   It is 1/2 lb of lobster and choice of sides.   It was $24 and it wasn’t  a lunch or any other special.  Normal price that is always on the menu

Compared to the lobster rolls they have been serving in Luminae lately I think Celebrity would have made at least 20 lobster rolls out of it.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

IMG_1096.jpeg

Food is cheaper on land, no doubt.,

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, CaribbeanBound said:

That's a very good value 

Yes it is.  We live in Michigan.  Always hear that seafood is cheaper in Fl,  BS.  

The good seafood restaurants here have it flown in fresh.   We get great quality and value compared to a lot of areas that are on the coast.  

There is a place near us called Lilys Seafood Grill and Brewery.  It is also a brew pub.   They originally were in FL.  They were the founders of A1A in St Augustine and also Ragtime.   They moved back to Royal Oak Mi and have the best seafood, beer and reasonable prices.  

https://www.lilysseafood.com

The chef told me that they also have their seafood flown in fresh when needed.  Basically a lot of it is flash frozen like a lot of seafood that is sold as fresh in the markets.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched

On 6/26/2023 at 12:17 PM, Mike981 said:

SHRINKFLATION: It is a very real thing.

Also, I swear they are making 2 ply toilet paper as thin as the old 1 ply.

It's absolutely real, however, some disingenuously cut too much...In this article it states food prices increased by 11% (I'm rounding), while of course there are exceptions yet if anything shrinks by at least 11%, they're taking advantage

It's same thing as "green-washing"...Frontier airlines lowered their standard checked luggage weight from 50lbs to 40lbs, anything over 40lbs you pay the heavy fee...This below is seriously from Frontier and it's total BS because if they cared, they just wouldn't let any bags over 40lbs on:

image.thumb.png.11169319f05a164a76db02e7205a9a17.png

• Like 2

On 6/26/2023 at 3:17 PM, Mike981 said:

SHRINKFLATION: It is a very real thing.

Also, I swear they are making 2 ply toilet paper as thin as the old 1 ply.

Shrinkflation is nothing new.  Gillette did it in 1924.   They reduced the amount of blades from 12 to 10 to maintain the same price.   

https://hbr.org/2010/09/gillettes-strange-history-with

Look at a “1/2” gallon of ice cream.  It is no longer a 1/2 gallon.   A pound of chips is no longer a pound.

I am sure that eggs will eventually drop to 10 for a “dozen”

Some bars don’t serve a real pint,  they use a 14 oz “pint” glass selling it as pint. When you get it after the foam and short fill you are lucky to get 12 oz

Can’t cheat with the fill lines on the German mugs. 

What ever happened to a bakers dozen?

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, miched said:

Shrinkflation is nothing new.  Gillette did it in 1924.   They reduced the amount of blades from 12 to 10 to maintain the same price.   

https://hbr.org/2010/09/gillettes-strange-history-with

Look at a “1/2” gallon of ice cream.  It is no longer a 1/2 gallon.   A pound of chips is no longer a pound.

I am sure that eggs will eventually drop to 10 for a “dozen”

Some bars don’t serve a real pint,  they use a 14 oz “pint” glass selling it as pint. When you get it after the foam and short fill you are lucky to get 12 oz

Can’t cheat with the fill lines on the German mugs. 

What ever happened to a bakers dozen?

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Where we live a 1/2 gallon of ice cream is still  a 1/2 gallon. 1# is still a #. The items where the quantity has been lowered is labeled accordingly. To do otherwise is illegal and unethical.

7 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

Where we live a 1/2 gallon of ice cream is still  a 1/2 gallon. 1# is still a #. The items where the quantity has been lowered is labeled accordingly. To do otherwise is illegal and unethical.

However, leaving the packaging visually unaltered so you still think you are buying the same quantity and then labelling it correctly in small print is entirely legal but still unethical...

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Mark_T said:

However, leaving the packaging visually unaltered so you still think you are buying the same quantity and then labelling it correctly in small print is entirely legal but still unethical...

They might do that in the U.K., but here in the U.S., the only info on the package is the exact weight and the MSRP in big, bold print. Never seen otherwise.

5 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

They might do that in the U.K., but here in the U.S., the only info on the package is the exact weight and the MSRP in big, bold print. Never seen otherwise.

When did you last see MSRP on pre-packaged food products in the US?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Almost every 16 Oz can these days is either 14 or 15 Oz.

That is why I wish all recipes were in grams. A can of diced tomatoes is less than it was years ago when the recipe was written.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mark_T said:

When did you last see MSRP on pre-packaged food products in the US?

Funny you should ask, Wednesday is our shopping day. We went to Frys Food, Sprouts Markets, and Albertson’s and everything we bought had MSRP on it and a sticker showed the new price if it was on sale.

16 hours ago, Mark_T said:

... one thing I do like these days, both in the US and UK , is the shelf-edge labelling giving price per oz or per 100g etc. 

Unit pricing has been on display here in the US for quite some time on the shelf-edge labeling. When I took my boys shopping I always discussed that with them as the way to know which product had the best price.

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Mike981 said:

That is why I wish all recipes were in grams. A can of diced tomatoes is less than it was years ago when the recipe was written.

Well the US is still the only country that uses centuries-old measurements.  Apparently we are too unintelligent to adopt the worldwide standard metric measurements.😉