Faulty fire resistant panels found in new build ship

The new MSC Explora inaugural sailing has been cancelled with barely a weeks notice; due to the discovery of faulty fire resistant panels. 
The manufacturer of these panels says there are 45 other ships with these same panels….including those built at Meyer Werft.

https://archive.ph/h9Xmg

link to FT article ^

18 minutes ago, Longstockingpippi1 said:

Food thing this is a RC board then. 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

Did you not read the part about the last 45 new build ships are effected including those built by Meyer and at Chantiers de L’Atlantique.

Now where do RCI build their ships? 
Where are RCI building Icon? 

Where are RCI building Utopia? 

Another article suggests that ships in recent dry dock may also be effected 

Edited by little britain
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, little britain said:

Did you not read the part about the last 45 new build ships are effected including those built by Meyer and at Chantiers de L’Atlantique.

At least there is a bit of time to put right anything that needs putting right on Icon and Utopia.

Of more concern is whether these panels were also installed on, say, Odyssey or Wonder.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, little britain said:

Hello,

Be fair, it was a bit long for the poor dear.

Regards,

Cublet

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, little britain said:

What the article actually said did not use the words "new builds" or indicate that all of the impacted ships were cruise ships, but rather simply said 45 boats including other types of ships.

"Paroc has identified 45 boats in operation with the faulty panels, including other types of ships run by other companies, the people said."

What it doesn't say is why they were faulty. It could be something as trivial as screw holes too big and generally unrelated to the fireproof effects. But for a new build, it complicates things due to the strict certification aspect.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Sounds like much ado about nothing.

Not a "nothing" if a cruise ship is advised it has the faulty panels and is currently sailing. Once they know, they will need to replace the panels quickly. Imagine the lawsuits if a fire breaks out and they know they have faulty panels. There is going to be a scramble to get in line for replacements and we could see a bunch of cancelled cruises coming up. The unknown is where the panels are located. Is it just a few specialty panels (say around an electrical station) or is it all the panels around staterooms?

• Like 2

Uh oh. I hope my sailing doesn't get cancelled. Spectrum was built by Meyer Werft. It sounds like the only reason MSC cancelled was because they refused delivery of the ship, so maybe it's not something so serious that all the other ships in operation have to be removed from service, but just something that gave them the right to refuse taking ownership until it was fixed. 

2 minutes ago, CJANDH said:

Not a "nothing" if a cruise ship is advised it has the faulty panels and is currently sailing. Once they know, they will need to replace the panels quickly. Imagine the lawsuits if a fire breaks out and they know they have faulty panels. There is going to be a scramble to get in line for replacements and we could see a bunch of cancelled cruises coming up. The unknown is where the panels are located. Is it just a few specialty panels (say around an electrical station) or is it all the panels around staterooms?

That's not true. Faulty doesn't mean ineffective nor does it mean it's an emergency replacement.  There are a lot of "faulty" parts on a typical airliner but safety isn't compromised.

• Like 1

To the OP, thanks for sharing the information.

I'll withhold any further comment just based on the fact that I barely passed chemistry in high school and couldn't build a house with Lincoln Logs in kindergarten. So, unlike others, my expertise is limited.

However, there might be one expert able to share their opinion. Calling @chengkp75 to the white courtesy phone please!

Edited by klfrodo
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, little britain said:

The new MSC Explora inaugural sailing has been cancelled with barely a weeks notice; due to the discovery of faulty fire resistant panels. 
The manufacturer of these panels says there are 45 other ships with these same panels….including those built at Meyer Werft.

https://archive.ph/h9Xmg

link to FT article ^

Yikes! 😳 Thanks for sharing.

Edited by barbeyg

There is a very complete article in the Financial Times explaining the questions raised by this issue.

You need to google "Financial Times Explora" to get a link to it. Scary read.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, CJANDH said:

There is a very complete article in the Financial Times explaining the questions raised by this issue.

Same article as the one in the original post.

8 minutes ago, CJANDH said:

It is behind a paywall. I read another article in a publication not behind a paywall. The new builds are immediately affected because the panels have to be certified.  The certifications are for five years so if they were installed on a ship in 2020 the certification expires in 2025. 

19 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I'm still waiting for a report on this other than Financial Times to provide some real detail on the issue, not some reporter throwing out words like "shockwaves" and getting the likes of Jim Walker all excited.

I also would like another source. So far the only other articles I have found refer to Financial Times. 

18 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I'm still waiting for a report on this other than Financial Times to provide some real detail on the issue, not some reporter throwing out words like "shockwaves" and getting the likes of Jim Walker all excited.

18 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Because the FT is such an unreliable untrustworthy paper … 

8 minutes ago, little britain said:

No, it is because single source reporting usually only tells part of the entire story.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, little britain said:

When an article starts out with strong words like "shockwaves" then has absolutely zero detail or specificity to the problem and uses "unnamed sources" well, I'd like something a bit more specific.

• Like 2