The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday July 9th, 2023

richwmn

4 hours ago, superoma said:

Good morning all. Cool start to the day, only 64 but will make it to 80 later in the day. We had some light rain early, then a downpour around 8. Our DD and friends were at an outdoor concert but there was a roof shelter available so they didn’t get too wet.

laundry today since yesterday was too rainy. Tomorrow I will be helping my sister clear our her in laws condo to get it ready to sell. Her DMIL is in a nursing home and the step FIL passed away about two weeks after our own father. She has her hands full! I will catch up on the daily when I get home in the evening.

Yesterday was a bittersweet day. It would have been my DM 93rd birthday. She passed away 33 years ago just a week after her 60th birthday. And on the 29th of July would have been my dad’s 93rd birthday. Like their headstone says “together forever”.

prayers for all that need them. Will raise a glass later for all those celebrating. 

For your dear mam on her 33rd memory.

Graham.

happyheavenlybirthday-birthday.gif

• Like 8

3 hours ago, RMLincoln said:

That’s not good!  Was there an indication of how to mitigate this until the panels can be replaced?  I’d think they could be coated but those surfaces might not stand up to the rigorous cleaning regimes. 

there is only one CCL ship affected in the group of 45.

No idea if it is a HAL ship or not, though.  

2 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Pat did really well, and seems to have adjusted to his "new reality".  We slowed down a lot, and I made sure he drank a lot of water and rested between bouts of activity.  Now all that remains to see is what happens when he finishes his course of antibiotics in a couple of weeks.  This infection keeps coming back, this is the fourth bout, at least...  and he has had four different antibiotics this time.  Hopefully it is sensitive to at least one of them!  Vanessa, @JazzyV, I think you can take him off the Cares list, perhaps on the rotation it would be nice to see his name occasionally.  

That is really good news, Ann.  I hope these antibiotics do the trick 🙏🏻 

@0106 Tina - thank you for the elaboration on the quote 🙂 

@ger_77 great pics of your Summerfest.  Sure sounds like a lot of fun was had by all.  How nice that the Ukrainians did the smokies 👍  I am betting the music was wonderful 🙂OK, I HAVE to ask.  Do you own all those lawn chairs or do people bring their own 😂 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Good rainy afternoon. It’s been pouring since noontime off and on. Lots of idiots driving around barricades and having to be rescued. Also, reports of trees and wires down. I’ve been following a fire alerts page that shows responses in real time. Prayers for all involved.

@Denise T, I hope Pottstown is doing okay. Stay safe. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

Good afternoon, 

I've been reading daily - several times - just not posting for a few days. I'm so grateful for all the comments about DH's obituary. I really tried to capture "him" and I love the picture! I got a call yesterday that the death certificates and small urn are in so will stop by the funeral chapel tomorrow after water aerobics. 

DS is being a great son. This week he's building a new pumphouse for me. The current one is 40 years old and DH and I had been talking about replacing it. DS has time in his schedule, and I have the means to pay him, so it's a go. He's also going to put a new railing on our back veranda.

@Vict0riann Glad to hear you had a good trip to Bellingham. I haven't been in the mall since last Christmas! I'm glad Pat was good with traveling. Keep a close eye on that guy! 

Thanks again to everyone for all the good thoughts. 8 weeks today I board the Westerdam for Alaska on my first solo trip and I'm good with that. I'll save the spreading ashes at sea for next year - not quite ready this year. DS and I are planning DH's Celebration of Life for mid-September or so.

Karen 

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, kazu said:

there is only one CCL ship affected in the group of 45.

No idea if it is a HAL ship or not, though.  

That is really good news, Ann.  I hope these antibiotics do the trick 🙏🏻 

@0106 Tina - thank you for the elaboration on the quote 🙂 

@ger_77 great pics of your Summerfest.  Sure sounds like a lot of fun was had by all.  How nice that the Ukrainians did the smokies 👍  I am betting the music was wonderful 🙂OK, I HAVE to ask.  Do you own all those lawn chairs or do people bring their own 😂 

HAL Rotterdam and Discovery Princess were 2 named Carnival ships.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, luvteaching said:

DS is being a great son. This week he's building a new pumphouse for me. The current one is 40 years old and DH and I had been talking about replacing it. DS has time in his schedule, and I have the means to pay him, so it's a go. He's also going to put a new railing on our back veranda.

I am so glad you have support.  It doesn’t make anything better but it helps.

38 minutes ago, luvteaching said:

Thanks again to everyone for all the good thoughts. 8 weeks today I board the Westerdam for Alaska on my first solo trip and I'm good with that. I'll save the spreading ashes at sea for next year - not quite ready this year. DS and I are planning DH's Celebration of Life for mid-September or so.

I hope you enjoy your cruise, Karen.  Waiting until after the Celebration of Life for the ashes is a wise decision.  They are both highly emotional times and you are wise to space them out 💔 

• Like 10

15 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

HAL Rotterdam was the only Carnival ship mentioned.

There were no ships mentioned other than one in the report and it wasn’t the Rotterdam.  The rest was supposition in another one that included the words MAY.

The ships themselves are not listed nor have they been made public.  I think Colin @VMax1700 worded it best so I am copying his post here.  Much ado about nothing, I supect..

4 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

two types of fire-resistant panels have lost their safety certifications and are now being recalled,

two types of its panels have lost their safety certifications due to recent failures in safety certification testing.

caused local distributors to recall the impacted panels

I am really not going to lose any sleep over this.  If you get rid of the printed hyperbole and click bait and look at the facts, then it is the same as any other product recall.

The Safety Certification and Standards requires ongoing testing. 

A recent batch of product suffered failures during testing.

The manufacturer notified distributors to withdraw the product from sale.

It now comes down to how often the product is manufactured.  If each production run is tested and previous productions passed the testing then there is no ongoing problem.

This happens all the time in the motor industry.  Next time your car is going in for a service, take a few photographs of the engine bay before giving it to the service center and when you get the car back have a look at the dabs of various coloured paint that have appeared on bulk heads, engine covers, timing belt covers etc.  Those paint marks relate to recalls, most of which were precautionary.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Just a quick post to say hello to everyone and let you know that we had a great day in Kirkwall, Orkney Islands, Scotland.

We had a rare treat on the Marina today.  There is a priest on board and celebrated Mass this evening.  I remembered each of you during the Mass.  

I will read the posts later.

Good night and 

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 17
  • Thanks 6

Evening all, looks like the rain is finally over. Parts of the area received over 7 inches. There are reports of building collapse and many water rescues., including rooftop by National Guard helicopters. 🙏🤞

More rain is forecast for tomorrow.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 10

32 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Evening all, looks like the rain is finally over. Parts of the area received over 7 inches. There are reports of building collapse and many water rescues., including rooftop by National Guard helicopters. 🙏🤞

That’s a ton of rain. Prayers for your region.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Yikes.  Stay safe.  We had 2’ in 3 days and I was amazed at the lack of flooding (I was actually worried I wouldn’t be able to get Ivan to the Emergency vet last Sunday)

OMG on the on the building collapses.  Double stay safe, please

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Just a quick post to say hello to everyone and let you know that we had a great day in Kirkwall, Orkney Islands, Scotland.

We had a rare treat on the Marina today.  There is a priest on board and celebrated Mass this evening.  I remembered each of you during the Mass.  

Good night and 

God Bless,

Terri

What a great day for you! 

I have been to Kirkwall and thoroughly enjoyed all the history and the ruins.

I would have also been grateful for the Mass.

Continued safe travels. ☺

Caron

• Like 8

Good afternoon after a busy day.  DD and DSIL arrived about lunch time with two hot pizzas from our local pizza place.  We had not tried their pizzas before, and I thought they were both good, but DH thought he'd had better.  However, for a small regional chain, they were not bad, and I plan or getting pizza there again, especially when it's too hot to make pizza. . One pizza was pepperoni, which is a favorite and was good.  The other was a veggie pizza, and being a carnivore, I was really surprised at how good it was.  It may have been the extra creamy cheese that held everything together.

Besides the great pizza, we had a wonderful visit with the "kids", and appreciated them making the 2+ hour one way drive here and then fighting the Sunday afternoon traffic on I-35.  We all take the back roads most of the way, but we can't avoid I-35 completely.  While we talk on the phone fairly often, there's nothing like getting together to catch up and talk about other things.

When they left, we had time to get to Waco to pick up DH's phone with the new screen. He had the sim card in a spare phone, but it just wasn't the same.  Somehow, we made the round trip, including time in the store, in less than two hours.

8 hours ago, durangoscots said:

Good morning. As per usual we are sunny, dry and windy with a fire weather warning. Hopefully the monsoons will be forthcoming. The rains we had in the Spring caused weeds to grow and now those are drying out which does make for a real fire hazard. The temperatures are good for sleeping at night - it was 45F when dogs and I walked at 7. Highs today into the low 90's. Since we only have a couple of months of this in a year I just plod on. No AC in most of Durango.

Ran some errands yesterday and took some boxes to the thrift store....mainly books. Will pack the car today for another run tomorrow. Have a  meeting at 3 this afternoon to replace a Board member for the kennel club.... I have already turned down the position. We are also setting up another rattlesnake avoidance training session - out last one being such a great success. Just peeked ahead at next week and it looks like I am going to be doing things at my own pace .... no scheduled events!!! Yay!!!

Off to give the dogs a second walk since it is still cool. Glad to hear that both Ivan and baby Murphy are getting better. Take care all. Remember to keep your feet firmly on the ground ... one of my neighbors fell yesterday. Fortunately no damage, but she felt pretty shaken.

Susan

Susan, I hope the monsoon rains arrive soon and lessen the fire danger.  I'm glad your neighbor was not injured in her fall.

7 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Good morning, Dailyites, and many thanks to Rich, and all who post all the interesting news of the day!  We are back from our few days in Bellingham, and it was a success, although not everything turned out as we thought.  We had to make reservations for the ferry both ways, there have been terrible delays the last few weeks as so many are travelling, and BC Ferries has had a lot of staffing shortages, so sailings are cancelled at a moment's notice.  But we made it!  The mall took us by surprise, as it now opens at 11 and of course we were there much earlier!  A lot of the stores are closed, but we did find a few things to buy.  There are still empty shelves, though!  We were disappointed with our favourite restaurant, Anthony's, they seem to have doubled prices and reduced choices, I think we will be looking for a new favourite next time.  

Pat did really well, and seems to have adjusted to his "new reality".  We slowed down a lot, and I made sure he drank a lot of water and rested between bouts of activity.  Now all that remains to see is what happens when he finishes his course of antibiotics in a couple of weeks.  This infection keeps coming back, this is the fourth bout, at least...  and he has had four different antibiotics this time.  Hopefully it is sensitive to at least one of them!  Vanessa, @JazzyV, I think you can take him off the Cares list, perhaps on the rotation it would be nice to see his name occasionally.  

Pat has gone off to church, but I decided not to go, I'm still finding it difficult to sit still with this headache.  I will go and do some watering for my poor plants which suffered without me for 3 days, and say my prayers then, for all the Dailyites and their loved ones who are ailing.   I count Father David as my church for the day!  Please say Happy Birthday to him for me, too, Graham.

Ann, I'm happy you had a good trip, and that Pat did so well on the trip and is adjusting to the new normal.  I hope the antibiotics knock out the infection this time.  I also hope your headache disappears soon.

5 hours ago, bennybear said:

Happy horizon day, one of my favourite views.  Although usually from here the mountains are what we see. 

image.thumb.jpeg.55cdd14d8adff4fdabb88dfc097be7ce.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.62b2bc00ae0ff968ad84f4a6a4d67e1e.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.1f7ffc32d25b752a33c05a122c71ea1d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ecafeca2ed5f419b8288471194482301.jpeg

Beautiful pictures, Brenda.

3 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good rainy afternoon. It’s been pouring since noontime off and on. Lots of idiots driving around barricades and having to be rescued. Also, reports of trees and wires down. I’ve been following a fire alerts page that shows responses in real time. Prayers for all involved.

@Denise T, I hope Pottstown is doing okay. Stay safe. 

Arizona has a stupid motorist law which makes drivers who go around barriers and need rescuing pay for the rescue.  Sadly, it still doesn't stop some idiots from trying to get past barriers.  

3 hours ago, luvteaching said:

Good afternoon, 

I've been reading daily - several times - just not posting for a few days. I'm so grateful for all the comments about DH's obituary. I really tried to capture "him" and I love the picture! I got a call yesterday that the death certificates and small urn are in so will stop by the funeral chapel tomorrow after water aerobics. 

@Vict0riann Glad to hear you had a good trip to Bellingham. I haven't been in the mall since last Christmas! I'm glad Pat was good with traveling. Keep a close eye on that guy! 

Karen 

Karen, you are very lucky to have the support of your DS, and that he has the time to help with the projects.  It's a win-win for both of you since you are able to pay him for his work.  I'm sure his help planning the Celebration of Life is a comfort for both of you.

1 hour ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Good night and 

God Bless,

Terri

Terri, I'm glad you had a great day in Kirkwall.   We enjoyed the town in spite of heavy rain that was going horizontal at times.  I want to get back there on a good day and explore more of the island.

1 hour ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Wow, on 7+ inches of rain.  I hope no one was injured in the building collapse, and hope all are all right after the water rescues.  I hope the rain misses you tomorrow, or at least, is not as much.

Lenda

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

Happy Sunday evening, it's been a busy day.  Sugar cookies are a treat here, we usually ,make them with the grands at Christmas time.  The girls like to decorate them.  I like looking at horizons, especially from a BHB!  I'll skip the stuffed squash!  @kazuhoping that Ivan feels better.  @cruising sisterAlso continuing to pray for baby Murphy, good to hear that she was doing ok today.  Have a good rest of the day,  and prayers for all that need them, and cheers for those celebrating good times!  K

P2143878.JPG

P1060197.JPG

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Saw my mom and some other family members for lunch today. Some of us live far away (FL and NorCal) so we don’t get together that often. So I’m glad we were able to make today work. After that there there was some stoopid drama with another family member. But it’s all good now. 

Well, my Vegas trip is cancelled. Now I need to decide if I want to reschedule to Sept… or go on the Westerdam to Alaska. A GF and her hubby are booked on the Westie Sept 3, but solo rates aren’t that great plus there’s the flight and possibly hotel. But my other GF really likes Vegas. Decisions, decisions. 

Thank you all for caring and sharing. Prayers for everyone who needs them.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

• Like 15

@dobiemom The Westie on Sept. 3rd is the one I'm on. DH wanted me to keep traveling and cruising and I'm keeping this one. I paid for it while he was still alive as he was determined to go. I remember you being so helpful to him on the bus tour in Sitka. You stayed on the bus and helped get him on and off at the Raptor Center and Fortress of the bears. Thank you for that kindness. 

Karen

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, luvteaching said:

@dobiemom The Westie on Sept. 3rd is the one I'm on. DH wanted me to keep traveling and cruising and I'm keeping this one. I paid for it while he was still alive as he was determined to go. I remember you being so helpful to him on the bus tour in Sitka. You stayed on the bus and helped get him on and off at the Raptor Center and Fortress of the bears. Thank you for that kindness. 

Karen

😘 We all need to help each other.

On our cruise in Feb on NCL Encore, mom and I took an excursion that included a boat ride and open bus. I’ll always be grateful to the other passengers (and the boat tour guides) who were very patient and helpful getting DM (in a wheelchair) on and off the transports. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, kazu said:

There were no ships mentioned other than one in the report and it wasn’t the Rotterdam.  The rest was supposition in another one that included the words MAY.

The ships themselves are not listed nor have they been made public.  I think Colin @VMax1700 worded it best so I am copying his post here.  Much ado about nothing, I supect..

Several shipyards have used the panels in question for new build and refurbishment.

They were given fire certificates at the time so hopefully it's just New Builds that might be affected as new panels are sourced.

Screenshot_20230710_065256.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Several shipyards have used the panels in question for new build and refurbishment.

They were given fire certificates at the time so hopefully it's just New Builds that might be affected as new panels are sourced.

Screenshot_20230710_065256.jpg

HAL Rotterdam and Discovery Princess come into the above category of ships where the panels are being recalled.

Germany,Italy, Finland and France  shipyards are the main shipbuilders and the EU has very strict safety rules.

Meyer werft shipyard in Papenburg Germany built P&O Iona and Arvia and a number of Royal Caribbean ships reportedly used the same panels.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, luvteaching said:

Karen

8 hours ago, dobiemom said:

😘 We all need to help each other.

On our cruise in Feb on NCL Encore, mom and I took an excursion that included a boat ride and open bus. I’ll always be grateful to the other passengers (and the boat tour guides) who were very patient and helpful getting DM (in a wheelchair) on and off the transports. 

This is what the world needs more of.

• Like 7