Early Morning Coffee on Beyond

3CatCruiser

Important question for my fellow coffee drinkers who have experience on Celebrity Beyond: My spouse and I are early risers, usually 5:30 or so and we enjoy (must have) coffee right away when we wake up 😎.

That is to say, we do not usually take our time getting ready and then head out to breakfast and enjoy coffee at that time. The coffee comes first, then everything else. 

We have an upcoming sailing on Beyond and it will be our first time cruising Celebrity and our first cruise in 10 years and I have a few questions about early morning coffee.

I see the Oceanview Cafe opens for Breakfast at 6:30am - is there coffee out before then in the Oceanview Cafe?

Looks like room service breakfast is available at 6:00am - is the room service coffee decent? Can you preorder breakfast like in the old days with the door hanger? 😁

• Like 2

Yes you can pre - order breakfast.  There is a door hanger menu in you cabin you can fill out and hand on the door the night before.  Continental breakfast is no charge, however if you want hot items then there is a service fee of approx $12.

There normally is coffee available in the Oceanview cafe 24 hrs, how fresh it is ??

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Yes you can pre - order breakfast.  There is a door hanger menu in you cabin you can fill out and hand on the door the night before.  Continental breakfast is no charge, however if you want hot items then there is a service fee of approx $12.

There normally is coffee available in the Oceanview cafe 24 hrs, how fresh it is ??

Thank you! That is super helpful 🙂

If you are on an itinerary that favors British Isle cruisers, an electric kettle may be available, or maybe on any sailing your steward might be able to bring you one. Starbucks Via is pretty good in a pinch-especially if you are up at 5:30!.

The quality of OV cafe coffee varies. Room service coffee might be better, but Cafe al Bacio is the best and would be included in the classic beverage package, but I don't recall how early it opens.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 3CatCruiser said:

Important question for my fellow coffee drinkers who have experience on Celebrity Beyond: My spouse and I are early risers, usually 5:30 or so and we enjoy (must have) coffee right away when we wake up 😎.

I know what you mean having to have that first cup of Joe before anything else.  Just not at 5:30 a.m.!  

I have had a carafe of coffee brought to our cabin in the morning.  It wasn't at 5:30 a.m. though. Perhaps closer to 6:00 a.m.  Sometimes, though, just because it is requested at a certain time it doesn't always come at that time.  So a kettle with some instant coffee might suit you better if it is a necessity that you drink coffee that early in the morning.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 39august said:

There are heavy paper cups with lids for to go coffee  in the Oceanview Cafe.

The lids would be a big help!

The last spill was as we got ready to disembark..I stank of coffee all the way home!

If I recall correctly Room Service does not begin until 6:00 AM  and delivered in a 30 minute window.

As other have indicated coffee is available 24 hours a day in OVC.   

Another option is I bring along a  travel french press and your favorite coffee.   I always bring mine along with  favorite coffee.    I just put my coffee in it and go to the OVC and fill with hot water.   By the time I'm back to my room it is ready to plunge.  

• Like 5

I'll join others in saying making coffee in your room isn't difficult.  Take a look at the AeroPress.  It's a marvelous, compact coffee maker that is very easy to use and clean up is a snap. It's my go to coffee maker and a joy to use and have. It's been on a bunch of cruises with me!  And no, I don't work for them!

Edited by BuckeyeMark
  • Like 1

@BuckeyeMark

We are doing carryon only for our upcoming land/river cruise in Europe. How small is the Aeropress? I couldn't find dimensions/weight on their website. Staying in vacation rentals for 9 days in France and Switzerland, that most likely only have kettles. We are bringing Tasters Choice Dark Roast packets along, but to get a palatable cuppa takes two each!

Luckily the river cruise has a 24/7 self-serve coffee/espresso machine, and our Lucerne hotel has a Nespresso in the room. And at last we've reached E+ so we are set for Cafe Al Bacio for next year's Celebrity cruises.

We are early risers also with a morning routine and always get the room service coffee.  We mark the earliest time available — I.e, we circle the 6am and make a note that we prefer as close to 6am as possible. The staff will call the room an say that “coffee is on the way,” and normally it is there in minutes.  It is so relaxing to have a pot of coffee in the balcony to help us get around.

NOTE:  we always tip room service a couple dollars for just coffee.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TMLAalum said:

@BuckeyeMark

We are doing carryon only for our upcoming land/river cruise in Europe. How small is the Aeropress? I couldn't find dimensions/weight on their website. Staying in vacation rentals for 9 days in France and Switzerland, that most likely only have kettles. We are bringing Tasters Choice Dark Roast packets along, but to get a palatable cuppa takes two each!

Luckily the river cruise has a 24/7 self-serve coffee/espresso machine, and our Lucerne hotel has a Nespresso in the room. And at last we've reached E+ so we are set for Cafe Al Bacio for next year's Celebrity cruises.

I measured mine.  It is quite small and compact. The AP is a little over 5" long (with the piston-plunger all the way in the tube, which is how you travel with it - fully compressed) and it is about 4" wide at its widest point. It weighs 180 grams. I carry a Dopp kit which holds my AP and assorted other coffee gear easily.

I will warn you now: it makes ridiculously good coffee. It isn't complicated, it isn't hard to use, it's super simple and it just turns out great, smooth coffee.  It also allows you total control over your brew - you decide how long to let it steep, how much coffee to dump in it, etc. Here's the point: you get an AP and you may not care for instant coffee very much after trying an AP!  

This isn't an AP forum so i'll stop with my AP love, but I would be glad to help anybody further who needs more info or recipes on how to brew with it etc.  Message me at m d r 4 4 and then that AT sign and juno and then a dot and the com.

Edited by BuckeyeMark
  • Like 2

Unless you are really picky about your coffee, the one at OVC is just fine.   Although it is quite a walk in the morning if your cabin is near the bow of the ship.  Every morning, I woke up, go to the buffet and eat breakfast, fill coffee with the to-go cup with lid and a croissant back to the room for the wife.   It's about 1000 steps according to Google Fit LOL.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, BuckeyeMark said:

I'll join others in saying making coffee in your room isn't difficult.  Take a look at the AeroPress.  It's a marvelous, compact coffee maker that is very easy to use and clean up is a snap. It's my go to coffee maker and a joy to use and have. It's been on a bunch of cruises with me!  And no, I don't work for them!

Love an AeroPress! How do you get hot water for yours? Just thinking it wouldn't be great to walk up to OceanView with the AeroPress and then back to room. I like the idea of bringing my AeroPress though!

This thread has been an interesting read for me as I plan my coffee strategy for my August Beyond sailing. Wondering for those who are picky and prefer an American-style single pour drip rather than espresso-based coffee whether Cafe al Bacio might offer anything along these lines.

Also, for in-room coffee crafting, I’ve used DripKit on previous vacations, and that worked out great with just a kettle needed.

I also love the Aeropress and may decide to bring my own beans and hand grinder. Only smallish downside is the little bit of mess to be cleaned up.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, 3boyz2keep said:

Love an AeroPress! How do you get hot water for yours? Just thinking it wouldn't be great to walk up to OceanView with the AeroPress and then back to room. I like the idea of bringing my AeroPress though!

You can have a carafe of hot water delivered by room service.  Some rooms have a kettle or a Keurig-style coffee maker and you can get hot water out of that. That's been my go to. 

Or you can take the AeroPress to the OceanView and make a fresh cup of coffee on the spot.  I've done that too.

I do bring a small hand grinder and coffee beans.  Quick grind and ka-bang! Amazing coffee. And the AP turns is very easy to clean - no mess (especially when compared to a French press).

Edited by BuckeyeMark
  • Like 3

Re; Cafe al Bacio- I get cafe americano there.

Heard back from the vrbo in Sarlat la Caneda- no coffee maker. I mentioned Aeropress to DH and he told me he is already in possession of a small press that might work for us. We would then have to bring a small bag of our favorite- Seattle's Best #5.

• 8 months later...
On 7/23/2023 at 9:20 PM, BuckeyeMark said:

I second that - just got one and its great - Question: on the Celebrity Beyond (Concierge class if that makes a difference) can i request a kettle to boil water or should I bring my own? I make my wife a 'good' coffee every morning and would rather not have to leave the room to get hot water etc. 

4 hours ago, Ellian said:

I second that - just got one and its great - Question: on the Celebrity Beyond (Concierge class if that makes a difference) can i request a kettle to boil water or should I bring my own? I make my wife a 'good' coffee every morning and would rather not have to leave the room to get hot water etc. 

You CANNOT bring any kind of kettle or water boiling device. Celebrity categorically prohibits any thing that generates heat like that. Ask a room steward for a kettle .... or go fetch hot water in the OVC.