Underwhelming drink menu? Suggestions for favorite drinks.

numnums

On my last ship on the apex in Dec, 2022. I noticed an extremely small selection of drinks available. I have to say it was quite disappointing, as I was expecting some more frozen drinks or the like, preferably without any alcohol. Another unrelated reason was that the bar was overcapacity and I had to flag down waiters or stare at them intensely. I mostly got coffee at Al’s and evians on my premium, with some alcohol at night or during shows.

Now I’m not going to ramble about how some service was questionable, but I just want to know if anyone else knows if this is normal? When I went to the spa cafe, I was looking forward to some smoothies but I really didn’t want to have some ingredients included, or I really just wanted one or 3 mixed flavored such as mangoes, strawberries or bananas. The juice selection was quite underwhelming too. Am I missing some shop or part of the ship that offers more variety, or select buffet timings?

Are there any othe cruise lines that can offer frozen fruit drinks? Mango lassies, milkshakes? Or do you guys have any suggestions or anything I should ask or look out for. And I love fruity cocktails, but I really didn’t see anything appealing to me on the menu except trying this extremely sweet syrupy mock tail.

My next sailing on the ascent is arriving soon, so I think I might just get the zero proof for some variety. Any suggestions, favorite drinks? I might have a go again if I have a better idea what to look for.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kr00t0n said:

Virgin/non-virgin frozen peach/mango daiquiris are my go to drinks.

That sounds delicious! I haven’t seen any of these on the menu, I will try to ask for it. Am I able to get the mock tails on the zero package?

I faintly remember my server only telling me one type of mock tail was available, so maybe I need to go to the bar myself.

Pina colada, mudslide, frozen strawberry daiquiri, lychee martini.  

Did you ask for any of your favorite frozen drinks that weren’t the menu?  They a make far more drinks than are on the individual bar menus.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, numnums said:

On my last ship on the apex in Dec, 2022. I noticed an extremely small selection of drinks available. I have to say it was quite disappointing, as I was expecting some more frozen drinks or the like, preferably without any alcohol. Another unrelated reason was that the bar was overcapacity and I had to flag down waiters or stare at them intensely. I mostly got coffee at Al’s and evians on my premium, with some alcohol at night or during shows.

Now I’m not going to ramble about how some service was questionable, but I just want to know if anyone else knows if this is normal? When I went to the spa cafe, I was looking forward to some smoothies but I really didn’t want to have some ingredients included, or I really just wanted one or 3 mixed flavored such as mangoes, strawberries or bananas. The juice selection was quite underwhelming too. Am I missing some shop or part of the ship that offers more variety, or select buffet timings?

Are there any othe cruise lines that can offer frozen fruit drinks? Mango lassies, milkshakes? Or do you guys have any suggestions or anything I should ask or look out for. And I love fruity cocktails, but I really didn’t see anything appealing to me on the menu except trying this extremely sweet syrupy mock tail.

My next sailing on the ascent is arriving soon, so I think I might just get the zero proof for some variety. Any suggestions, favorite drinks? I might have a go again if I have a better idea what to look for.

Why do you even need a drink menu?  Just ask for what you want.  If it is a bit unusual then be prepared to tell them what goes in it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, jelayne said:

Pina colada, mudslide, frozen strawberry daiquiri, lychee martini.  

Did you ask for any of your favorite frozen drinks that weren’t the menu?  They a make far more drinks than are on the individual bar menus.  

Actually, I believe me and my friend have asked for more frozen drinks and cocktails and being told they don’t have it or they can’t make it, So I only got the sparkling mint lemonade. I just never brought it up again, but I shall on my next sailing. I never questioned it since I saw other people on board with similar drinks or nothing fruity.

2 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Why do you even need a drink menu?  Just ask for what you want.  If it is a bit unusual then be prepared to tell them what goes in it.

It’s my first time so it makes it easier to know what I’m looking for, I don’t drink a lot to begin with so I have very little experience. I was unsure what to ask for and would like a good baseline the next time I sail. I did sail right after the pandemic, so maybe they also had food shortages or something. On the first day I inquired about a frozen fruit cocktail but a server said they don’t have it/can’t make it. Now that I’m reading more, it could be my fault for being more vague about what kind of drink I wanted so I’m looking for some name suggestions/drinks to ask for.

5 minutes ago, 39august said:

The bar menus are very limited and not representative of what is available. Just ask for what you want. I have given directions to bartenders to make the exact drink I wish. 

Do they really mix anything you ask?  I think I’ll try to look up some fruit combinations then, many thanks. Might upgrade my package too.

• Like 1

I would suggest you ask a bartender rather than a server. The bartender will be more familiar with what liquors, mixes, fruit, and equipment they have a their bar than a server who may rotate between bars, buffet, etc.  

Not all bars have the blenders for making frozen drinks.  The Martini bar as a example does not have blenders.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, jelayne said:

I would suggest you ask a bartender rather than a server. The bartender will be more familiar with what liquors, mixes, fruit, and equipment they have a their bar than a server who may rotate between bars, buffet, etc.  

Not all bars have the blenders for making frozen drinks.  The Martini bar as a example does not have blenders.

Thank you, this is the most helpful response. I most definitely was probably asking in the wrong place. Are you familiar what bars have blenders in your experience?

5 minutes ago, numnums said:

Thank you, this is the most helpful response. I most definitely was probably asking in the wrong place. Are you familiar what bars have blenders in your experience?

Sunset bar and pool bar for sure.  Probably the Club.  Not sure about Craft Social.  For what it is worth I would not upgrade to the premium package for the frozen drinks.  A frozen mudslide, daiquiri etc will be fine with the liquor from the Classic package.  When you add the mixers you can’t really tell the difference.  The premium pkg is best if you drink nicer wines, top shelf liquor, sparking water and smoothies.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, numnums said:

Now I’m not going to ramble about how some service was questionable, 

I would hope not, especially in this context. 

It is precisely inexperienced drinkers,  trying to order multi ingredient frozen umbrella drinks,  that cause slow service. 

Sail away day is an absolute nightmare for anyone trying to orger a simple adult beverage out on deck. 

19 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Sunset bar and pool bar for sure.  Probably the Club.  Not sure about Craft Social.  For what it is worth I would not upgrade to the premium package for the frozen drinks.  A frozen mudslide, daiquiri etc will be fine with the liquor from the Classic package.  When you add the mixers you can’t really tell the difference.  The premium pkg is best if you drink nicer wines, top shelf liquor, sparking water and smoothies.  

Hmm I see, I suppose I don’t need the non zero package either since I do vividly remember the spa cafe worker saying they can only follow the menu and can’t change or substitute ingredients. Juice was nice but I only got it twice, classic package it is! I hope to ask for a pina colada again on the ascent this time and try everyone’s suggestions. Can’t wait and it’s making me quite excited again!

7 minutes ago, EatonDoolittle said:

It is precisely inexperienced drinkers,  trying to order multi ingredient frozen umbrella drinks,  that cause slow service. 

Sail away day is an absolute nightmare for anyone trying to orger a simple adult beverage out on deck. 

Actually, specifically about the service is that we were being ignored, a waiter would go around every table around ours and take their drinks, even those seated after us. It was no problem since I asked someone else to to take our order, but it was a little awkward to experience since I had company. I just don’t like raising my voice a bit (I am a pretty quiet speaker) or asking for attention, lol. It had nothing to do with the drink ordering, that part was fine itself. Since sail away is quite busy, I suppose I’ll try to order some of the more fancier drinks the next day or when it possibly quiets down. 

I agree with your notion about inexperience drinkers which is another reason why I am asking on suggestions on everyone’s favorite drinks. I hate making people wait behind me or causing a line.

3 minutes ago, numnums said:

Hmm I see, I suppose I don’t need the non zero package either since I do vividly remember the spa cafe worker saying they can only follow the menu and can’t change or substitute ingredients.

Spa Cafe are mostly working with pre-mix ingredients, they are not starting from fresh fruit, so they don't have the ability to leave out or add a fruit in most cases.

2 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

Spa Cafe are mostly working with pre-mix ingredients, they are not starting from fresh fruit, so they don't have the ability to leave out or add a fruit in most cases.

Nothing at Spa Cafe is premixed. The smoothies are pretty simple ingredients blended right there in front of you. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, numnums said:

. I did sail right after the pandemic, so maybe they also had food shortages or something

Do they really mix anything you ask?  I think I’ll try to look up some fruit combinations then, many thanks. Might upgrade my package too.

There were shortages everywhere - cruise ships, restaurants, hotels so I suspect that a lot of the things they couldn't make were because they simply didn't have the supplies.

I bartended for several years and will say that in a lot of cases, the bartenders may be more likely to know drinks that are either popular today, or they're on the drinks menu. If I want something that isn't on the menu, I tell the bartender (not the server) exactly how to make it. If there's a combination you love or you want to try, give them some ideas because they only know what they know 😉.

Edit to add: the other day on a local radio station they shared a recipe for a slushie that was made with a couple of frozen strawberries, frozen blueberries, a splash of maple syrup and a bit of lemon juice. Apparently it was delicious!

Edited by mrgabriel
  • Like 1

Try a Miami Vice for a sweet, fruity drink as well as all the others previously mentioned. I don't drink these as they are too sweet for me, but they are very popular. A beautiful fruity drink that is not too sweet is the French Caribbean. Mango mix, coconut rum and raspberry liquor. 

• Like 3

If the ingredients and equipment are present, ask.  We've had frozen lemonade made several  different ways, at our request, depending on the ingredients present (lemon syrup, premix, vitamin water, etc), had them toss a mojito in the bender, and had other drinks blended.  

If you see a flavored drink that is not an infused alcohol, it's likely a Mornin syrup, or from a carton of mixers. 

Edited by Cap_D
  • Like 1

Go to the bar when it’s quieter and talk to the bartender. Tell them the type of drink you’re looking for, the flavours you like, and that you want it non alcoholic. Then ask for their suggestion. This is one of the few times I’d have a little cash in my hand to tip for the personalized service. Before you leave ask them how you should order it for next time. Build a relationship with a bartender or two and your trip will be that much more enjoyable. 

My next cruise my favourite sommelier should be onboard and I can’t wait to see him. I’m a scotch drinker and went to the same bar regularly that he ran.

Try an IgLU   at Cafe Baccio..non alcoholic..

On sailaway day, some waiters on the  pool deck carry trays with frosty  drinks ....at least they used to..

How about frozen strawberry daquiri , pina colada, bahama mamma....?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EatonDoolittle said:

Exactly…rum and Coke, gin and tonic, bourbon and your choice, etc…

Edited by PTC DAWG

6 hours ago, numnums said:

Actually, I believe me and my friend have asked for more frozen drinks and cocktails and being told they don’t have it or they can’t make it, So I only got the sparkling mint lemonade. I just never brought it up again, but I shall on my next sailing. I never questioned it since I saw other people on board with similar drinks or nothing fruity.

Quite possible that another bar will be able to prepare the drinks you desire... there are quite a few on the ship...

I Am thinking the bar at the pool might be the place to go for this...

Cheers and bon voyage

I think you might like the Slush Bar on the Equinox and Eclipse- I wish it was on more ships! You could always see if bartenders have the ingredients for these.

On the whole, I have been less impressed with Celebrity's drink menus recently- I think they are trying to be too "hip," with lots of crazy ingredients that do not always result in a well-balanced cocktail, especially at the hands of certain bartenders.

I recently too my first cruise with Princess and LOVED their bar menus and found that their frozen drinks were not overly sweet. I'm going to write down some of my favorites before my next Celebrity cruise and see if a bartender can make them for me onboard.

25499358183_5b287c56d8_c.jpg

2 minutes ago, InTheDrink said:

I think you might like the Slush Bar on the Equinox and Eclipse- I wish it was on more ships! You could always see if bartenders have the ingredients for these.

On the whole, I have been less impressed with Celebrity's drink menus recently- I think they are trying to be too "hip," with lots of crazy ingredients that do not always result in a well-balanced cocktail, especially at the hands of certain bartenders.

I recently too my first cruise with Princess and LOVED their bar menus and found that their frozen drinks were not overly sweet. I'm going to write down some of my favorites before my next Celebrity cruise and see if a bartender can make them for me onboard.

25499358183_5b287c56d8_c.jpg

I will be on the Equinox in a few weeks and will definitely be checking this out!

• Like 1