BARS NOT OPEN AT CERTAIN EMBARKATION PORTS?

I have heard or read somewhere that on embarkation day at certain ports in the USA that the ship's bars may not be open....True or False?

I have also heard or read that at certain embarkation ports in USA that you cannot use your pre-purchased drink package.....True or False?

I recall somewhere we boarded a cruise ship that we were charged an extra state/local tax on drinks purchased on embarkation day before the ship sailed.    Where specifically is that?

3 minutes ago, Cruisin Kay D said:

I have heard or read somewhere that on embarkation day at certain ports in the USA that the ship's bars may not be open....True or False?

I have also heard or read that at certain embarkation ports in USA that you cannot use your pre-purchased drink package.....True or False?

I recall somewhere we boarded a cruise ship that we were charged an extra state/local tax on drinks purchased on embarkation day before the ship sailed.    Where specifically is that?

False,

False, Galveston has reduced "Texas taxed" booze so brands may be limited but you can still get almost any kind of spirits several wines and beers.

Didn't happen on Royal.  That is an NCL thing, I think.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

Likely Galveston.

The other two questions is False and False.

Galveston has never charged a tax. They just have a limited selection available that is is "Texas taxed". At least that is the case since 2018.  

• Like 1

It's a carnival thing. People read carnival doesnt start cheers until day 2 and assume it really is what people post falsely  .. that its texas laws not allowing drink packages. 

Carnival used to start cheers once the ships hit international waters and people all the time said hey you can start day 2 and get a full day and only be charged for 6 days. I guess this got to be a problem until carnival finally said ok all will start day 2 with cheers. 

Nothing to do with rcl. I'd bet OP heard it from a carnival cruiser and assumed it was rcl too. 

24 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

It's a carnival thing. People read carnival doesnt start cheers until day 2 and assume it really is what people post falsely  .. that its texas laws not allowing drink packages. 

Carnival used to start cheers once the ships hit international waters and people all the time said hey you can start day 2 and get a full day and only be charged for 6 days. I guess this got to be a problem until carnival finally said ok all will start day 2 with cheers. 

Nothing to do with rcl. I'd bet OP heard it from a carnival cruiser and assumed it was rcl too. 

And Carnival wants people to think it’s all because of Texas law and not a Carnival decision.

• Like 1

Sailed on Liberty out of Galveston  last August.  As D+ we get 2 bottles usually are delivered to the stateroom before we arrive.  On that cruise it was explained that because of Texas rules no wine delivered until next day.

Edited by njkruzer

I think most bars, but not all, are closed until after muster and/or the ship sets sail.  There may be some bar staff circulating during boarding.

You won’t have to wait long…bars will be open before dinner time !!

On NCL in the mediterranean March 2023, there  were certain ports where you could not buy alcohol unless you had a beverage package. Since then I've heard that NCL has changed that to nobody gets a drink until they leave that port. If you want me to dig out the daily planner I can tell you where this was in effect, we were in Greece, Turkey, and Israel.

35 minutes ago, roupa said:

I think most bars, but not all, are closed until after muster and/or the ship sets sail.  There may be some bar staff circulating during boarding.

Not true.  When you board the ship, bars will be going full blast.

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, roupa said:

Absolutely not true.  bars are open from the time boarding starts.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, roupa said:

I've never been on a sailing where the bars weren't open immediately. They did  close them during the old-fashioned muster drills but not anymore!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, roupa said:

You couldn’t be more wrong. With a few exceptions, every bar on RCI ships are open when embarkation starts. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, roupa said:

That hasn't been our experience. The bars are typically open when we board. That's one of the first places we go! 🤣

Ok!  I stand corrected.  Most, but not all bars are open.  Drink up!

We generally are on board early on embarkation day, grab something to go from the windjammer and head to the Viking crown lounge. It’s scenic and peaceful at this time. The bar there isn’t open yet. It’s a relaxing time for us to recharge after busy travel.

We’ll hit the open bars soon enough. 😉

My experience is that all of the bars that are in open public spaces/places are open.  Bars like the one in the main theater, specialty restaurants, and a very few others that aren't open are not.  I have also experienced being in Port Everglades, Port of Miami, and Port of Canaveral, and there was state tax added to the bill when I didn't cruise Star until the ship was in international waters.  I've cruised out of Galveston a couple of times but don't remember the situation with drinks and taxes on embarkation day there.  I think I got too drunk to remember as I got drunk while I was driving to the port, getting a headstart.  LOL, just kidding.  However, Texas wants to tax any alcohol you purchase while on the cruise and are taking home (the duty-free stuff), at least back in the day when I used to cruise out of there.  I'll know for sure in January when we cruise out of there. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

However, Texas wants to tax any alcohol you purchase while on the cruise and are taking home (the duty-free stuff), at least back in the day when I used to cruise out of there.  I'll know for sure in January when we cruise out of there. 

Maybe you totally honest, but I havent meet anyone who declares all they buy. There is a table where you can voluntarily go and declare and pay the tax. I'm hardly drinking so dont count but most who have mentioned it say they stick the bottles in their suitcase and walk on by. 

I havent had any drinks lately and not using up my vouchers so dont go by me. Just listening to chit chat while we sit in a dining room waiting to debark. Totally unscientific I admit. But people all the time tell me just walk on by. 

1 minute ago, firefly333 said:

Maybe you totally honest, but I havent meet anyone who declares all they buy. There is a table where you can voluntarily go and declare and pay the tax. I'm hardly drinking so dont count but most who have mentioned it say they stick the bottles in their suitcase and walk on by. 

I havent had any drinks lately and not using up my vouchers so dont go by me. Just listening to chit chat while we sit in a dining room waiting to debark. Totally unscientific I admit. But people all the time tell me just walk on by. 

I haven't been through the new terminal, yet, so I don't know how they handle that there.  Is what you described at the new terminal?  But, the old terminal that Rust Bucket Cruise Lines used had exactly what you described, a table and a sign.  When I saw it, I didn't bring any alcohol back, so honest or not, it didn't apply to me.  I think, however, I would be honest.  Spending my youth career in the Law Enforcement field, including criminal investigation, I don't think I could sleep at night knowing what I did if I didn't declare what I had, even if it is only a State thing.  

13 minutes ago, neverbeenhere said:

Pay the $4ish a bottle.  Texas needs it. 

LOL, it probably costs more to staff the kiosk or whatever it is than what they take in.  I believe it is a waste of time and money.  But, like any Government agency, they will bragg at the end of their fiscal year that they took in $XX,XXX.XX.  But, they will not show how much they spent doing it.  

• Like 1