Improving the experience and making X money!

chemmo

5 hours ago, chemmo said:

Several recent threads have focused on Celebrity ‘downgrading’ the product in an attempt to save money…I thought it might be fun to start a thread about things they could do and charge for which could enhance our experience and make them extra $$$. So what would you be willing to pay a bit extra for?

To start, my ideas…

Do a pop up speciality in part of the buffet every night. Each night a different theme, a focus on relaxed dining but a change from the MDR or the speciality restaurants. Not a ridiculous price, perhaps $15? This would be especially nice if they could incorporate some fresh produce from ports of call…This would be really appreciated on the M class ships with limited dining options.

Give those with drinks packages ‘deals’ on full bottles (yes, I know you can order) but make a real feature of it. ‘Tonight’s special wine options are’…Celebrity would up their income, those of us on wine packages would get a bigger/better choice. If the up charge was too much then guests would choose to simply look at the wine menu but I am sure they could find a sweet spot where they would feel they had made a $ or $$ and we would feel happy with the deal…

How about, now they are charging for room service, some special lunch options on sea days. A picnic basket or an all day English breakfast special…Things that you could really enjoy on those days you don’t want to do anything other than enjoy your balcony…

So what would you enjoy that you would be willing to pay a bit more for? 

I really don’t want this to turn into a negative thread so no comments on ‘room service used to be free’ or ‘there should be more choices in the wine package’ please! Just let your imagination run to things you would enjoy and be willing to pay an extra $ or £ (in our case) for?

Although I've never experienced its use first-hand, I'm curious about the Medallion that Princess has available on their newer ships. Being able to track locations on the ship, order drinks to your current location, open your stateroom door, and charge your onboard account without having to carry around your seapass card is very intriguing to me. To pay a small fee (something like $5/day) for that ammenity would not be an issue. I know that Royal Caribbean did something similar with the WOW bands, but they didn't have the sophistication that the Medallion does with Princess. I'd imagine they have something in the works.

If the fee was fairly insignificant, it would be an easy ammenity to include in the Captain's Club program. For example, the daily fee could be waived for Elite and above.

Edited by NorthStarStateCruiser
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, chemmo said:

Keep thinking! Inspiration needed!

Whilst we are all budget conscious I was hoping that, like me and a few others, we could identify a few things that when we cruise we could see missing gaps, the decent burger being an obvious…

Another thing I have thought of is cooking lessons. I don’t mean the quick demo of how to cook a steak sometimes shown on sea days. I mean a quality training session for perhaps 20 people…

I remember cooking lessons on board for a fee. One was in Tuscan.

12 minutes ago, C4HCG said:

Paying to board early without having to queue. Maybe impractical to enforce but I’d do it.

I believe Royal C  sold that perk in a package of some kind..I believe it was  expensive. Not sure  how it worked out or if X ever had it..

On X:  Suite guests go first through  their own entry area..so just book a suite to get early boarding and dep.

.There used to be  a set order starting with  E+ / Elite, AQ Class, Concierge.. Class. etc

Lately other than suites, we have seen Concierge guests go first..to make the luncheon service, .and  then a gen free for all when various groups are called!

midnight buffet was under utilized,  breakfast w/choc buffet was included at no addded charge and very popular!

I do not want or need a Medallion or any  tracking gadgets... 

51 minutes ago, chemmo said:

They are open daily and the evening menu is more popular. I think a burger venue on ships without Lawn Grill (all but two) could find this popular…

Yes that was my thought too.  A walk up stand or something like that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, upwarduk said:

Or the Brunch, haven’t seen that since before COVID.

Brunch is a non starter it was stopped because the MDR does not meet the health/food requirements for serving  buffet style. Exactly the same reason why the Elite Breakfast can't be "buffet service" when ships sail from some ports.

1 hour ago, NorthStarStateCruiser said:

Although I've never experienced its use first-hand, I'm curious about the Medallion that Princess has available on their newer ships. Being able to track locations on the ship, order drinks to your current location, open your stateroom door, and charge your onboard account without having to carry around your seapass card is very intriguing to me. To pay a small fee (something like $5/day) for that ammenity would not be an issue. I know that Royal Caribbean did something similar with the WOW bands, but they didn't have the sophistication that the Medallion does with Princess. I'd imagine they have something in the works.

If the fee was fairly insignificant, it would be an easy ammenity to include in the Captain's Club program. For example, the daily fee could be waived for Elite and above.

The medallion is very useful for door opening. Aparantly not so good for drink ordering as we regularly saw waiters wandering around looking for passengers who had ordered and this was with ship only half full.

You still have to carry it so not any different to the traditional card - oh and the battery sometimes goes flat before you even board.

1 hour ago, upwarduk said:

Or the Brunch, haven’t seen that since before COVID.

That would definitely go down well on sea days! Book me in! It could easily be done in one of the speciality restaurants or again in a section of the buffet….

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, horseymike said:

I would personally rather pay a higher fare and have the quality INCLUDED. 
This whole al a carte concept detracts from the enjoyment of the cruise IMHO.

Mike the OP @chemmo  is trying to have a positive thread here seeking suggestions.  I think it is a pretty good topic.  Respectfully, there are loads of other threads for complaints.  🙂

• Like 8

37 minutes ago, hcat said:

I do not want or need a Medallion or any  tracking gadgets...

No problem. Could you provide any further comment on why the offering would be not beneficial to the Celebrity clientele? Or are you simply stating that you personally have no interest in such a device?

5 minutes ago, the penguins said:

The medallion is very useful for door opening. Aparantly not so good for drink ordering as we regularly saw waiters wandering around looking for passengers who had ordered and this was with ship only half full.

You still have to carry it so not any different to the traditional card - oh and the battery sometimes goes flat before you even board.

Thanks for the insight. I figured the device worked better in theory than in practice.

1 minute ago, TeeRick said:

Mike the OP @chemmo  is trying to have a positive thread here seeking suggestions.  I think it is a pretty good topic.  Respectfully, there are loads of other threads for complaints.  🙂

Agree, it’s like some people don’t even try…sigh. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

I remember cooking lessons on board for a fee. One was in Tuscan.

I can’t remember ever seeing but you only notice things like this if you are looking. I will keep my eyes open next cruise!

26 minutes ago, the penguins said:

Brunch is a non starter it was stopped because the MDR does not meet the health/food requirements for serving  buffet style. Exactly the same reason why the Elite Breakfast can't be "buffet service" when ships sail from some ports.

Perhaps it could be a sit down meal but a brunch menu or perhaps it could start at 10.30am in a section of the buffet…

1 hour ago, chemmo said:

Keep thinking! Inspiration needed!

Whilst we are all budget conscious I was hoping that, like me and a few others, we could identify a few things that when we cruise we could see missing gaps, the decent burger being an obvious…

Another thing I have thought of is cooking lessons. I don’t mean the quick demo of how to cook a steak sometimes shown on sea days. I mean a quality training session for perhaps 20 people…

They did this previously and they were generally sold out quickly.  DH loved them.  They stopped offering them and as I recall it was insurance/liability that was the problem. 

Just now, jelayne said:

They did this previously and they were generally sold out quickly.  DH loved them.  They stopped offering them and as I recall it was insurance/liability that was the problem. 

Sometimes red tape stops play…you would think there was some way around it? 

12 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I stated my suggestions Rick . Apologies to anyone who is offended by them .

2 minutes ago, jelayne said:

This was my first thought. But didn't realise they previously offered cooking lessons? I can't believe insurance was the issue, that sounds a bit of a lame excuse. Other cruise lines do offer cooking classes and it's something I'd definitely sign up and pay extra for. How about taking the acres of wasted space that makes up all the shops/boutique stores and making one or two of them into a custom built kitchen for culinary lessons. 

On that subject, I absolutely hate the shops, I genuinely don't understand why so much space is given over to them and don't understand why anyone ever goes in them! What would be a better use of that space, any thoughts? 

2 minutes ago, OysterD said:

This was my first thought. But didn't realise they previously offered cooking lessons? I can't believe insurance was the issue, that sounds a bit of a lame excuse. Other cruise lines do offer cooking classes and it's something I'd definitely sign up and pay extra for. How about taking the acres of wasted space that makes up all the shops/boutique stores and making one or two of them into a custom built kitchen for culinary lessons. 

On that subject, I absolutely hate the shops, I genuinely don't understand why so much space is given over to them and don't understand why anyone ever goes in them! What would be a better use of that space, any thoughts? 

You know it is a big area. If they can have hot glass classes on some ships you would think they could arrange a venue for cooking classes…

5 minutes ago, horseymike said:

I stated my suggestions Rick . Apologies to anyone who is offended by them .

OP here Mike,

Not offended in the least. I do understand where you are coming from. I am just attempting to leave the doom and gloom behind and consider a few things some of us may enjoy and be willing to spend a few $$ on…

I must confess the two things that have been mentioned so far that really appeal to me are the midnight buffet. I think that could be a really special event if Celebrity put the time and effort into it. The second thing is the buffet special dining, especially if it could involve some local produce…

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, mnocket said:

Wow, Celebrity must be on the right track.  They even have some customers interested in discussing even more things they can charge extra for.  

We are discussing things we may enjoy resurrecting or introducing into our Celebrity experience and if it makes X a $ and stops them cutting corners on other things we are all winners!!!

A bit of a more light hearted thread to my mind is needed sometimes to keep our perspective on life in general and cruising in particular…

• Like 1