Older vs Younger

georgiaguy

7 minutes ago, Hobbsey said:

I guess I expect people to read the OP and respond to its content.  

I read the OP’s comment and agree with the OP 100%.  I think Celebrity is catering to a younger crowd at the expense of older passengers.

33 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I read the OP’s comment and agree with the OP 100%.  I think Celebrity is catering to a younger crowd at the expense of older passengers.

I thought the OP was saying just the opposite.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, zitsky said:

You are right.  I was thinking about a different reply.

So OP thinks Celebrity favors older pax?

Celebrity favors whoever gives the most profit....

Edited by jajohnson
  • Like 9

Just now, jajohnson said:

Celebrity favors whomever gives the most profit....

Does selling more shorter cruises get you there?  I didn’t pay attention in my finance class.  I liked marketing though.

I don’t assume that all younger pax want short cruises but I get the impression they market it that way.

Are changes to butler service a way to reduce expenses and increase profit?  Or changes to buffet service which I think has mostly been restored.

On 8/8/2023 at 10:12 PM, georgiaguy said:

There is a trend I have been noticing that I find a bit frustrating. Repeatedly folks posting here make comments about Celebrity driving away its older customers and how everything thing is targeted toward the younger generations. Can I just say I find it really insulting to be spoken about like I don’t matter and only those who have been cruising for 30 years and are elite have opinions that count? Ok I did say it. I am 40 years old with two kids that are under 5 and pretty much exclusively cruise with Celebrity. Why is it ok to consistently speak down about the “younger generation” as if my money shouldn’t also be sought after by the company. I wont retire for another 25 year likely, but isnt it ok for the CEO to think about me as well. I am not saying to just forget about long time customers but I think younger customers matter as well. Ok rant over. Thanks for listening. 

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

You are right.  I was thinking about a different reply.

So OP thinks Celebrity favors older pax?

The OP's original comments had nothing to do with Celebrity per se and everything to do with comments on this board. 

• Like 2

Of course Celebrity is catering to a younger crowd, but not at the expense of anyone. I am 39 years older than the OP - who says he is 40 - but I believe that his family, and DW and I can have good times on any of the X ships no matter how Celebrity chooses to promote them and whatever changes are made to the presentation. And, despite the age difference, I do not feel "left out" when Celebrity woos guests to cruise the brand. However, I also realize that my age demographic is not what Celebrity is counting on for its future success 10 to 20 years from now. Until X states, "Guests 60 years and older should refrain from cruising on our ships" we will continue to be a couple of those younger older cruisers, perhaps not as spry as the 20 to 40 somethings but just as determined to have fun with others of the same ilk. 

• Like 4

This thread reminds me of one of my last airlines flights.  It was a 4 hour flight and the kids sitting next to me were unruly,  screaming, shouting,  and kicking the seat in front of them.  They managed to spill my drink a couple of times.  If the kids behaved I doubt that you would hear the feedback about cruisers wanting adult only cruises or cruises with fewer kids onboard.

I prefer to have some well behaved kids on the ship.  

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 3

So I retract my prior statement. This thread has gotten off track. It was never about whether kids are well behaved or not. Sure that is a concern, but not what I originally posted about. I was responding to the way some seem to imply that Celebrity is wrong to market to folks like me or do things that might encourage my family to come aboard. I don’t like people acting like they are more worthy to marketed to than others. I don’t actually think it should be older vs younger. I oppose the dichotomy that says the cruise line has to be for one over the other. 

• Like 2

Ok-- We all get the message---

Nobody likes rotten, spoiled little " squirts " whose parents are tooooo meek to discipline them for fear of damaging their ego. 

However, most kids we've seen on cruises have been well behaved--- so what if they bring their ipad to the table at dinner--- no big deal. 

Can we change the subject to " Loud, Obnoxious Adults on a Cruise Ship "?

LOL--- If you are the " Goof " that we encountered in Murano and the Lawn Club Grill with your  cowboy hat and big loud mouth--- that's you I'm referring to.  And, bye the way, zip up your fly next time.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, georgiaguy said:

I don’t like people acting like they are more worthy to marketed to than others. I don’t actually think it should be older vs younger.

And thankfully Celebrity agrees with you in my view, they have a product that appeals to the older age bracket but not exclusively as I’ve seen for myself on our cruises with them. It’s not just age on here, some people who post who have sailed for years on Celebrity seem to feel they have some kind of superiority too. Suppose that’s life and it might be me in 30 cruises time 😂

• Like 3

As young DINK couples who have recently started cruising, please just keep things the way they are... 
If we want booze/party cruises (which we despise), we would go cruise on carnival or RCI. We choose Celebrity because we would rather tolerate old folks who want us off their boat than seeing kids running around and screaming. 

Please Celebrity, stop trying to be something you're not. The harder you try to appeal my generation/market, the harder it will backfire. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, leyland1989 said:

As young DINK couples who have recently started cruising, please just keep things the way they are... 
If we want booze/party cruises (which we despise), we would go cruise on carnival or RCI. We choose Celebrity because we would rather tolerate old folks who want us off their boat than seeing kids running around and screaming. 

Please Celebrity, stop trying to be something you're not. The harder you try to appeal my generation/market, the harder it will backfire. 

♥️♥️♥️

3 hours ago, georgiaguy said:

So I retract my prior statement. This thread has gotten off track. It was never about whether kids are well behaved or not. Sure that is a concern, but not what I originally posted about. I was responding to the way some seem to imply that Celebrity is wrong to market to folks like me or do things that might encourage my family to come aboard. I don’t like people acting like they are more worthy to marketed to than others. I don’t actually think it should be older vs younger. I oppose the dichotomy that says the cruise line has to be for one over the other. 

Businesses do targeted marketing all the time.  We sit here and complain about it.

Do you target the guy with $100, the one with $1000 or the lady with $100 today who may have $1000 tomorrow?

If you can cruise and be respectful of other passengers I don’t see why X shouldn’t market to both of us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

Businesses do targeted marketing all the time.  We sit here and complain about it.

Do you target the guy with $100, the one with $1000 or the lady with $100 today who may have $1000 tomorrow?

If you can cruise and be respectful of other passengers I don’t see why X shouldn’t market to both of us.

I don't disagree. Everyone should feel welcomed and appreciated. No one should feel like a superior customer because every dollar spends the same.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, georgiaguy said:

I don't disagree. Everyone should feel welcomed and appreciated. No one should feel like a superior customer because every dollar spends the same.

Couldn’t agree more, but sadly some people do feel superior. Just count up how many times we are reminded about how they only book suites and they are glad they do but they are off to a superior line anyway. Yet they post on this board very often. Can’t work that out, I’d be off with my superior mates on my superior cruise lines board.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, TeeRick said:

I thought the OP was saying just the opposite.

Yet I think that Celebrity is marketing towards the younger cruiser in many many ways...  And building newer ships (E class ) that bring in a younger demographic and cater to a younger demographic.  So what is the issue?

E class is not my cup of tea but the younger cruisers can have them.

Edited by NMTraveller

When I was in college, I saw my first celebrity cruise like 10 years and I was like , noo noooo

I saw my first royal cruise 10 years ago and I was like, I wanna get there

Out of my 4 cruises for 2023, 3 were with celebrity. They are doing something good.

3 hours ago, georgiaguy said:

I mean you treat everyone with respect.  But you don’t ignore your best customers.  Whether they are young or old.  But don’t get rid of a good customer just to chase new money.  If you mistreat older customers, the younger ones might ask, when is it my turn to be abused?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, C4HCG said:

Couldn’t agree more, but sadly some people do feel superior. Just count up how many times we are reminded about how they only book suites and they are glad they do but they are off to a superior line anyway. Yet they post on this board very often. Can’t work that out, I’d be off with my superior mates on my superior cruise lines board.

Our we prohibited from saying we cruise in an Aqua class cabin?  Or a veranda?  Others might get jealous.

27 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Our we prohibited from saying we cruise in an Aqua class cabin?  Or a veranda?  Others might get jealous.

Only if you do it to act superior! Then I am throwing in Cc jail! 😜

Edited by georgiaguy
  • Haha 1