White attire night and Caribbean Night

Kis01met

Princess doesn't do theme nights like some other lines.

The only "theme" they do is one night is White and Gold Love Boat night.. very very few people dress in white and gold. There's a short dance performance in the atrium by the ship's dancers. And that's about it...

Definitely nothing like White Night on MSC or RCCL, etc..

You can always make your own theme nights and dress accordingly... Some people do! 

• Like 1

There will not be a specific Caribbean theme evening. However, Caribbean island shirts and other wear are popular throughout the cruise. Most Caribbean cruises I have been on have a Caribbean deck party one of the evenings. You see lots of bold print Caribbean/Hawaiian shirts.

There will be two formal evenings. Formal is MDR attire, not entire ship. Formal can be anything from smart casual to truly formal and anything in between. You will not find too many passengers in true formal wear. There may be a white & gold event. From what I have read on these boards hardly anyone dresses that way. They just show up in whatever they are wearing. 

• Like 3

I’ve seen a white & gold party on almost every cruise in the last year. Some were on formal nights and some were in addition to the normal number of formal nights.

A couple have had a night with a “tropical” theme. That one seemed to involve wait staff and bar tenders wearing Aloha shirts. Very few guests participated.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

Why do cruises have themed dress nights and even worse why do people participate?  I just don't get it.

DON

I think it is to whip up interest out of nothing.  Individuals from larger groups travelling together are more likely to participate each trying to outdo others.  A party atmosphere is what they are trying to create.

Regards John

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, donaldsc said:

Why do cruises have themed dress nights and even worse why do people participate?  I just don';t get it.

DON

<Putting on flame-proof suit> I understand it far better than I understand Stanly Bear or McKinley Moose... 🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, donaldsc said:

Why do cruises have themed dress nights and even worse why do people participate?  I just don';t get it.

DON

Because it is fun.  We enjoy dressing up.   We look good.  We do it for ourselves.   Simple.  No judgment on those who don't participate.  It's your vacation.  Do it your way.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, john watson said:

I think it is to whip up interest out of nothing.  Individuals from larger groups travelling together are more likely to participate each trying to outdo others.  A party atmosphere is what they are trying to create.

Regards John

Maybe they can sell more photo's if they convenience people to dress in various costumes?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

<Putting on flame-proof suit> I understand it far better than I understand Stanly Bear or McKinley Moose... 🤪

I can't believe that grown adults get that excited about a person dressed in a costume. I once though it was only for the kids but after seeing some older folks on our last cruise, it's still hard to believe.😄

• Haha 1

On our South American cruise this Spring, the white and gold night didn’t start till 10.30pm..being the sad individuals we are, we were in bed by the time it started - too many early starts, too much walking on port days and very hot temperatures, to stay up late.

Just back from RC cruise and they too seem to be introducing ‘Caribbean shirt night’- once again , we spoilsports ignored it !

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HotRoot said:

Who are Stanly Bear and McKinley Moose?  Something on Alaska cruises?

Princess has crew members dress up in full size costumes and they pose with passengers with the hopes of selling photo's and regular size stuffed animals in the gift shops.

It's not only on Alaskan cruises. 

We were on the Enchanted in Europe at the end of June and the beginning of July.  You had to look hard to find people who were dressed in white and gold.  On the other hand, on formal nights many passengers were dressed in some version of “formal” wear.  We saw only one person wearing a baseball

cap in the dining room.  We enjoyed dressing up and appreciated the little extra touches that the crew provided to make the evening special.

4 hours ago, HotRoot said:

Who are Stanly Bear and McKinley Moose?  Something on Alaska cruises?

Stuffed animals that people buy onboard and go gaga over including buying various outfits for them and taking them on cruises and taking multiple pictures of the stuffed animals "enjoying their cruise".

Edit: To clarify - It doesn't bother me that people have fun with these things. I just don't "get it" personally. If it makes others happy then that's fine with me.

image.jpeg.a67ed770136dc9c742b3624f35f3d5eb.jpeg

Edited by Thrak
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Thrak said:

Stuffed animals that people buy onboard and go gaga over including buying various outfits for them and taking them on cruises and taking multiple pictures of the stuffed animals "enjoying their cruise".

Edit: To clarify - It doesn't bother me that people have fun with these things. I just don't "get it" personally. If it makes others happy then that's fine with me.

image.jpeg.a67ed770136dc9c742b3624f35f3d5eb.jpeg

And most importantly, Princess is making money on selling that stuff. 

• 7 months later...
On 8/26/2023 at 8:03 PM, Thrak said:

<Putting on flame-proof suit> I understand it far better than I understand Stanley Bear or McKinley Moose... 🤪

I laugh about whoever has to suit up and become the persona of Stanley Bear etc. under the corporate banner.  It cannot be a popular task for a member of staff to be allocated.  We have a brand of chain restaurant in the UK called Brewers Fayre and their mascot is Brewster Bear typically for children's parties a member of staff has to suit up in a bear costume and befriend the children.  I am wondering how well it would go down with that guy to find out that a Stag Party had been booked by the local Rugby Club for their members and they had insisted Brewster Bear will be in attendance.

Lol John