Future booked cruises with All Included? Tips no longer included.

39august

On 8/30/2023 at 8:46 AM, terrydtx said:

It will be interesting to see if the price of a Sky Suite drops by $922 or $461pp for a 7 night cruise, anything less is a price increase.

And I've got a bridge to sell you, and the cow really did jump over the moon.  My opinion is that they may drop somewhat, but not that amount.  Or, they will drop that amount for a few days for those of us analyst types who are doing before and after comparisons and then they will sneakily creep up rapidly.  I would love to be wrong about this!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, paulh84 said:

This is the issue I’m seeing. You could break it down into two buckets - price vs everything else. 95% of what your bullet points are completely inconsequential to me when I make a decision to book a cruise. 

You’ll read the same complains about Princess, RCI, MSC and NCL. Yes the cost is rising. But when I try to find a equal comparison among the mainstream cruises, the price is within a few hundred dollar of one another when you get your all in number established.

Celebrity prices have increased significantly especially on suites and now they gave less amenities.  It's not one particular cutback but the combined cutbacks has decreased the value and experience for me.  I agree you will find complaints on every cruise line.  

I still have a few Celebrity cruises booked through early 2025 at good pricing, which I'll probably keep because I"ll never get the same price again.  I also have Princess, VV, and RC.  I am a big cruiser but unfortunately the constant cutbacks won't make it my first choice when choosing a vacation after these current reservations.  

Edited by crusinthrough

8 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Do people still by those ? 
most people I have talk with are happy to see the photographers in your face every 5 mins 😁

I never thought Celebrity photographers were in your face.  Some other cruise lines maybe.  Yes, people still purchased them.  With smart phones you can get quality pictures as well so not needed for everyone.  However, when traveling solo it's constantly asking someone to take a picture for you.  Selfies are not quite the same.  Personally, I only liked the embarkation picture and port picture.  It was worth $50 to me.  

18 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

It's already listed on the website as $20 pp/pd but it's currently on sale for 5% off.

I have been looking at the upgrade price and it hasn’t been subject to a sale for months. I wonder if our CC drink package discount works on the upgrade or if it even stacks on the 5%? With the current sale it’s only a $12 a day difference between classic and premium but the upgrade is still $20. We aren’t big drinkers so I would upgrade just for the convenience of not having to figure out what’s included in classic but not at that price. 

2 hours ago, bnurick said:

1. X is in damage control, thus the reason they are making a travel agent and social media influencer push right now.

2. X is under serious net revenue pressure and went too far with a lack of transparency. The result is everywhere you read loyal cruisers are now looking at other options now, which is a negative for X.

3. It is understandable that X needs to make changes to address their financial realities, but the lack of transparency is a reflection of management.

Is X mgmnt in damage control or are they gleeful that they have been  able to make big changes right under our noses?

they are still booking well, and gaining new cruisers..also a big goal

3 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

You are still charged the gratuity amount.  It's just charged to your seapass card vs being bundled in your fare.  Moves the cost to an onboard amount which new cruisers will probably not be aware of so makes the initial cruise price seem lower and more competitive.  

This is the way Royal Caribbean has done it. 

All these moves to make the perks and amenities between the two cruise lines makes me wonder if the end goal is to combine the two companies into a single cruise line versus keeping them as two separate lines like they are now?

• Like 1

On 8/28/2023 at 6:59 PM, Cap_D said:

Frankly, a lot classier and less transactional to have gratuities included.  Seemed to work well too.  

I'm not sure it worked well for the employees of the ship.  If tips are not included, how many will remove them when they are automatically added at the end of the trip?  It's fine if they want to make wifi and drinks optional for inclusion but to make tips a choice is wrong for the hardworking staff.  And I know raising salaries and eliminating tipping is a well worn argument but that's not happening now. 

8 minutes ago, hcat said:

Is X mgmnt in damage control or are they gleeful that they have been  able to make big changes right under our noses?

they are still booking well, and gaining new cruisers..also a big goal

Damage control, 2025 bookings are different than 2023 and 2024. The consumer (non-savers) are getting squeezed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Do people still by those ? 
most people I have talk with are happy to see the photographers in your face every 5 mins 😁

we buy them   but now can only get prints, e mail  or  an upload..

on E class  ships the photographers are set up in various locations . never in our face!  very high tech and nice results! Green screen gives more choices

17 hours ago, abbydancer said:

One thing I find interesting is the lack of anything on the OBC for suites.  I know it wasn't addressed in the call, but have they stated it specifically, or is it just that it's no longer listed as a suite perk?

Celebrity's Announcement about the Retreat says "Retreat guests will enjoy Premium Drinks, Premium Wi-Fi and The Retreat amenity access as part of their elevated Suite experience." By omission this indicated no pre-paid gratuities or OBC. Clever marketing on their part so they don't have to say they took away anything. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, paulh84 said:

This is the issue I’m seeing. You could break it down into two buckets - price vs everything else. 95% of what your bullet points are completely inconsequential to me when I make a decision to book a cruise. I’m not going to move my business elsewhere because people got mad about a $2 cookie, or a missing pillow menu or because I can’t get prom pose photos (who really buys these in 2023??)

You’ll read the same complains about Princess, RCI, MSC and NCL. Yes the cost is rising. But when I try to find a equal comparison among the mainstream cruises, the price is within a few hundred dollar of one another when you get your all in number established. I’m not going to move to NCL and sail with 1,200 kids to save $200. And on a 7 day cruise you’re paying $625 in gratuities. Give this whole debate a month and it will be back to business as usual.

Business as usual is not good enough at this point.  It's less about the costs than the downgraded experience.

Recent/ current Cruisers report that food quality is subpar and there are limited choices.  ( mashed potatoes  all the time?)

Inclusions are changing daily and Mgmnt is rapidly converting  X to a Royal C format... kids in the Solaroium, Happy Day at Coco Cay..

We  have 2 E Class cruises booked and will  then re-assess

2 hours ago, paulh84 said:

NCL takes the prize by a long shot. 7 days on NCL Viva is $20pppd for gratuities, automatic $305.20 for drink package gratuities and a default $39.60 service fee for the included specialty dining. Grand total $624.80 or $89.25 per day in gratuities/fees alone. Haven increase the daily charge to $25pppd.

Just for clarification, when I add up the above numbers for gratuities/fees in a non-haven and divide it by 7, I get $69.25 per day, not $89.25 per day. As well, the drink gratuity and the specialty dining gratuity (for 2 specialty meals) that are listed above are for 2 people, not for 1 person. On NCL, the drink package gratuity is $21.80 pppd ($152.60 for 7 days) and the 2 meal specialty dining package gratuity is $19.80 pp. Over 7 days, the math works out for me  to $44.63 pppd, not $89.25 pppd. But maybe I am missing or misunderstanding something?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

All these moves to make the perks and amenities between the two cruise lines makes me wonder if the end goal is to combine the two companies into a single cruise line

I’m a doubter that this will ever happen as you have brand identity and loyalty.  For example, If you turn Celebrity into RC, is the resulting move that Celebrity cruisers switch over to Princess, NCL or HAL ?

Edited by Cruise till you drop
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Cruise till you drop said:

I’m a doubter that this will ever happen as you have brand identity and loyalty.  For example, If you turn Celebrity into RC, is the resulting move that Celebrity cruisers switch over to Princess, NCL or HAL ?

I can see Celebrity morphing into a parallel cruise line to RC with similar amenities, itineraries and costs similar to Princess and HAL. Celebrity is already adding more Florida home ports and 7 day Carribean cruises like RC.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, bnurick said:

1. X is in damage control, thus the reason they are making a travel agent and social media influencer push right now.

2. X is under serious net revenue pressure and went too far with a lack of transparency. The result is everywhere you read loyal cruisers are now looking at other options now, which is a negative for X.

3. It is understandable that X needs to make changes to address their financial realities, but the lack of transparency is a reflection of management.

Source? There is no TA push occurring. Incentives, commission, bonuses, etc. are cyclical and virtually the same they have been for years. If anything there is a risk out there that would move in the opposite direction. 

12 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Source? There is no TA push occurring. Incentives, commission, bonuses, etc. are cyclical and virtually the same they have been for years. If anything there is a risk out there that would move in the opposite direction. 

JJ Cruise

55 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

Celebrity's Announcement about the Retreat says "Retreat guests will enjoy Premium Drinks, Premium Wi-Fi and The Retreat amenity access as part of their elevated Suite experience." By omission this indicated no pre-paid gratuities or OBC. Clever marketing on their part so they don't have to say they took away anything. 

Yes, I know.  That was my point, ie it was never mentioned in the call as something that was going away.  Maybe because, unlike canapes and chocolate, you can't just "ask for it back".  😁

53 minutes ago, acrane said:

THANK you! I couldn't tell if he was just being naive or if he benefits from carrying water for Celebrity. Either way it was borderline insulting.

A pivot to attacking the source is usually next. However, my three points are my opinion as an X consumer observing and listening. I respect everyone's views too, knowing they can be different from mine and that is OK.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, canloan said:

Just for clarification, when I add up the above numbers for gratuities/fees in a non-haven and divide it by 7, I get $69.25 per day, not $89.25 per day. As well, the drink gratuity and the specialty dining gratuity (for 2 specialty meals) that are listed above are for 2 people, not for 1 person. On NCL, the drink package gratuity is $21.80 pppd ($152.60 for 7 days) and the 2 meal specialty dining package gratuity is $19.80 pp. Over 7 days, the math works out for me  to $44.63 pppd, not $89.25 pppd. But maybe I am missing or misunderstanding something?

I'm looking at 2 people and 7 days and using grand total as I indicated: 

$20 pp/pd for gratuities = $280.00

"Free" at Sea gratuities = $344.80

Total = $624.80/7= $89.25 per day 

Alternatively that costs me either $252, $259 or $322 if I book Celebrity after October and assuming travel agents don't offer to point some of the 10% OBC toward the gratuities to offset the cost. 

Outbound calls in response to general complaint emails (reported by some) strikes me as at least registering with Celebrity.  They shouldn't be thinking the calls are going to help with retention. So, they are reflecting concern. Nothing to suggest they are listening and making actual improvements or even communications (aside from the call).     

Edited by Cap_D

I find it interesting that new-to-cruise and new-to-brand bookings have apparently increased.  I wonder if that is because they have managed to chase away some previously loyal customers?  As an example we are Elite+ but have put X on long-term hiatus after some really terrible food in AQ.  I wonder if some of the other X veterans have done the same?

Rich

I think some YouTubers with group cruises, and more tied up in the future of Celebrity are in a difficult position due to cutbacks.  Similar to TAs generally, but enhanced because there's a need for content between now and cruise months or years away.   

Yet, if cruise fares rise, does commission rise assuming someone books? 

Edited by Cap_D