What goes around....

deliver42

8 minutes ago, villauk said:

The changes on Princess came after your cruises. We found out a week before we cruised that we weren’t grandfathered in, even though we had the Plus package and had made final payment 3 months prior. Many pax were complaining at GS on our sailing as we were the first sailing after the implementations on Sky Princess - no official notification from Princess until we boarded - so they left the crew to face all the complaints.

Right now, we have 10 itineraries booked with PCL, 5 with the $50 Plus Package and 5 with the $60 Plus package. In fact, we had a few that were booked at the $40 Plus package rate, but we've since refared those bookings which of course also upgraded us to the $60 Plus package. When we get onboard, we could pay the extra $10 pp/day to upgrade our $50 Plus packages. But since we probably won't use any of those "New" options, we're happy with what we got.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, mitz18 said:

and I don't know (don't think) if they (HAL/Princ) have a private dining option for suite (or a private lounge).

HAL has a separate Club Orange dining room on their Pinnacle class ships which suite guests automatically get access to. Princess has their Reserve Collection (formerly Club Class) dining room for those in suites.

HAL also has the Neptune Lounge for their suite guests and from what I understand PCL has a separate lounge for their suite guests on their Royal-class ships.

• Like 4

Just now, Ken the cruiser said:

HAL has a separate Club Orange dining room on their Pinnacle class ships which suite guests automatically get access to. Princess has their Reserve Collection (formerly Club Class) dining room for those in suites.

HAL also has the Neptune Lounge for their suite guests and from what I understand PCL has a separate lounge for their suite guests on their Royal-class ships.

Good to know, thanks.  For some reason we have not looked at HAL much in the past but I am starting to at least check out the schedules to see if anything catches my eye.

1 hour ago, basenji56 said:

Celebrity definitely depends on inertia on the part of its passengers--particularly the suite passengers.

“Inertia on the part of passengers” - that is truly a classic quote. It completely sums up the bizarre concept of passenger loyalty - and how some will defend it to the death because they feel they actually matter to a cruise line.

• Like 7

I still cruise Celebrity but I am transitioning over to Oceania.  I just got off Regatta for an Alaska cruise.  Superior experience in many regards.  More expensive but more included.  As someone who loves shellfish, I love the fact that I can have lobster tail for lunch every day and many evenings.  No $18 charge for a second tail.  

Took one European sailing 4 years ago on the Oceania Riviera, eating lobster tails for lunch every day for lunch, to win us over!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Loracpin2 said:

Took one European sailing 4 years ago on the Oceania Riviera, eating lobster tails for lunch every day for lunch, to win us over!!!!!!!!!!!

And the ice cream is the best I have had on a ship.  Lounges by the pool had nice cushions and towel coverings.  I liked that specialty coffees and soft drinks were included.  As was internet.  Two to four specialty restaurants included depending on the ship.  

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, mitz18 said:

Ken - I did not add the refundable option on any of the three ships.  Are all HAL & Princess standard rates refundable? 

Yes, the PCL, HAL as well as NCL's standard rates are with a refundable deposit. There might be a few entry level category guarantee options that are nonrefundable, both most of the fares come with a refundable deposit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, I have to wait before my first cruise on Oceania’s Vista, but that’s okay.  Celebrity was annoyed with me and put a charge of 60 cents on my Citi card.  At least that is the only reason I can come up with for this rediculous charge😉!  I am not making up this charge from Celebrity Cruises Miami.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Right now, we have 10 itineraries booked with PCL, 5 with the $50 Plus Package and 5 with the $60 Plus package. In fact, we had a few that were booked at the $40 Plus package rate, but we've since refared those bookings which of course also upgraded us to the $60 Plus package. When we get onboard, we could pay the extra $10 pp/day to upgrade our $50 Plus packages. But since we probably won't use any of those "New" options, we're happy with what we got.

We obviously can’t refare if booked over here as we don’t get price drops, so the packages are more likely the ones when the original booking was made. Personally, I felt more peeved to think that the didn’t even have the decency to let pax know before boarding - I believe none of the U.K. pax were notified, only NA passengers. I didn’t want the daily cream desserts or fitness classes, just the items like Alfredo’s which I’d already paid for three months previous. 

• Like 1

Celebrity heavily markets "The Retreat."  A pool where only suite passengers are allowed.

57 minutes ago, mitz18 said:

Some of the Celebrity vessels sell the suites as "The Retreat" & that includes a private pool & bar area requiring a suite key to enter.  Suite guest also have a separate dining area and cocktail lounge.  The Retreat is a big draw.

Here's a fun fact. We've booked over 9 Celebrity cruises in sky suites and never once have we used the pool. But to be quite honest, we never really used the concierge lounge either. Maybe that's why we have dropped down to Aqua cabins. Maybe that, as well as for the fact after cruising restarted, we started getting a lot of heartburn after eating the well-prepared and well-seasoned food served in the Luminae. 🤔

56 minutes ago, mitz18 said:

Good to know, thanks.  For some reason we have not looked at HAL much in the past but I am starting to at least check out the schedules to see if anything catches my eye.

If you like longer cruises, check out their 28-day Alaska itinerary in June 2024 and 2025 that goes to a variety of places to include Nome!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, villauk said:

We obviously can’t refare if booked over here as we don’t get price drops, so the packages are more likely the ones when the original booking was made. Personally, I felt more peeved to think that the didn’t even have the decency to let pax know before boarding - I believe none of the U.K. pax were notified, only NA passengers. I didn’t want the daily cream desserts or fitness classes, just the items like Alfredo’s which I’d already paid for three months previous. 

I agree, they should have grandfathered the $50 Plus. But if I recall the $50 Plus rate was only in place for a few months after being bumped up from the long standing $40 Plus rate, which I believe was grandfathered into the $50 Plus rate. I guess PCL decided to draw the line at the $50 Plus rate, otherwise all of those folks who booked their cruises with the $40 Plus rate would be getting the $60 Plus perks as well. 

• Like 1

Maybe prices are affecting those booking balcony and above. To be honest I see almost the same price for interior and ocean view. Left royal bc the food was bad at the beginning of 2023 and I’m happy with X. I don’t see myself in princess or holland, x is a little bit boring for us imagine if I were onboard holland 

1 hour ago, Lastdance said:

Well, I have to wait before my first cruise on Oceania’s Vista, but that’s okay.  Celebrity was annoyed with me and put a charge of 60 cents on my Citi card.  At least that is the only reason I can come up with for this rediculous charge😉!  I am not making up this charge from Celebrity Cruises Miami.

Too funny. I wonder if they paid more in credit card fees then the actual 60 cents they charged you...lol... 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Here's a fun fact. We've booked over 9 Celebrity cruises in sky suites and never once have we used the pool. But to be quite honest, we never really used the concierge lounge either. Maybe that's why we have dropped down to Aqua cabins. Maybe that, as well as for the fact after cruising restarted, we started getting a lot of heartburn after eating the well-prepared and well-seasoned food served in the Luminae. 🤔

We also have not used the pool, but some love swinging on those swings that touch the water.  The menu in Luminae needs to be upgraded in quality with a variety of choices, IMHO; I find it sad that the MDR menu is my go to many nights.  We haven’t had heartburn, but that might be next.  We also don’t use much of the included drink package, or the butler for that matter.  It seems like an SV works for us quite well, as prices for suites continue to approach the peak of Mt. Everest(yes, I know that’s a poor comparison)as time moves forward.  We have two upcoming suites due to excellent pricing, but saw the surge early on, so booked a PH on Oceania for a fantastic price.  We also have an SV on Celebrity that ticked all our boxes on Ascent.  Celebrity did get our attention with all the changes, along with opportunity cost for vacations.   So, looking at these changes as a way to re-evaluate everything that is available on water and land.  Love having so many choices because my DH and I got too comfortable with Celebrity’s product.  It was time for a little kick in the butt...ouch🫠

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1

I can't speak to suites, which it seems most are interested in, but for insides in 2023, X was the superior line for us. I did enjoy our HAL cruise a lot, but now that I am further away from it, HAL wasn't even close. I would sail HAL again for the itinerary. One plus for HAL, was the Vaandam was an amazing small ship that we really liked including the full circuit promenade deck.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Just wow!  This is so helpful!  Thank you for taking the time to look tis up.  I guess I need to do some more investigating into HA in the Club Orange for sure.  Princess looks compelling as well.  I need to get past the stereotype Old Geezers' cruise (on Princess)...no offence intended to my fellow old geezers.

Agree. Wow. Boggling. Just unreal.    Celebrity.  You need to wake up and face reality

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I agree, they should have grandfathered the $50 Plus. But if I recall the $50 Plus rate was only in place for a few months after being bumped up from the long standing $40 Plus rate, which I believe was grandfathered into the $50 Plus rate. I guess PCL decided to draw the line at the $50 Plus rate, otherwise all of those folks who booked their cruises with the $40 Plus rate would be getting the $60 Plus perks as well. 

I didn’t want the $60 Princess perks, just the items I paid for when I booked. Anyway, the point I was trying to make is that it’s not just X making all the changes and upsetting their guests. From recent threads, it shows that more of the long-standing cruisers are considering alternatives, including non-cruise vacations. We’re now looking at river cruising for 2025.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, basenji56 said:

Celebrity definitely depends on inertia on the part of its passengers--particularly the suite passengers.

I think that's right.  And I think most of the recent pricing/perks complaints have been from Retreat cruisers (which includes me), likely because that's where the latest cuts have been,  I (only) cruised twice with X last year--on he Edge and on the Millie.  The Edge was 40% booked and the Millie was 65% booked...but the Retreat was 100% booked for both cruises; not a single empty suite.

I think X heavily relies on Retreat revenues to bolster the bottom line, and demand for suites has been so strong it's embolden X to squeeze ever more from this customer base,   But, as many have pointed out, this bull market pricing model will quickly break in a bear market--which I feel is right around the corner. When that happens, can X adjust pricing enough (and quickly enough) to keep bookings strong?  Maybe, but not if they continue to alienate their traditional Retreat guests in favor of new suite guests with more money but less history/loyalty.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, cruisegirlppp said:

I know I have seen mention of Celebrity loyalty status being recognized on some other lines (aside from RC).  Does anyone have this information?

MSC Voyagers Club has a status match program that you can apply for.  You need to send them some documentation.  I don't know of others.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1