On board Zaandam!

CruiserBruce

10 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

It's interesting that you are tendering in Cornerbrook, we were alongside there. If you do make it ashore there I highly recommend seeing if you can get a cab to drive you around. We had one who gave us an hour for $90.00 CDN we saw and passed many of the school busses that were doing the ship's tour. Also check and see if they are doing a "Screech In" at the Legion, it's a great time. Bring cash, if they are.

Fair winds and a trailing sea.

Hmmm...for some reason I have under the impression Corner Brook was a tender port. I have wrong a time or two before...thanks for the info!

Now you know the reason I was monitoring your "Live from" thread.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Mosaic said:

Wow, nice website. Thank you.

I learned about it from another person on CC when we were crossing the Pacific from Sydney to Vancouver this past spring. It definitely comes in handy if you're out on the high seas and wonder what type of weather you're heading into. 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Did you ever hear a cause for the repairs? I heard divers and rear thrusters. We made a 15 hour, 19 knot run to be here today, on time. 

Divers and thrusters in Halifax. They kept running into setback which postponed our departure until 2AM. The repairs have been reportedly been ongoing in different ports for a while now. Cruise was still great. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Hmmm...for some reason I have under the impression Corner Brook was a tender port. I have wrong a time or two before...thanks for the info!

Now you know the reason I was monitoring your "Live from" thread.

Yes, I'm not sure what is up with tendering in Cornerbrook. Zaandam had been there once before we were there and she tendered that time. Perhaps we were just lucky to be alongside. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Sorry the weather isn't cooperating. Not sure if you have heard of this website, but it comes in very handy for me when we're on a cruise. You can also download the app, but I just use the website link. Just put the city you're curious about anywhere in the world in the upper lefthand corner box. You can of course also expand the screen outward to get a bigger picture associated with the surrounding area. I also get more options when using my iPad rather than my iPhone. In any event have a great cruise!

https://www.windy.com/

image.thumb.png.94d88b0f1789f25a438c306761469529.png

Yeah, but maybe you don't want to know. Hey, have a wonderful cruise! Just remember, you can sue if it's bad. Looking forward to your balanced report from one of your unbalanced fans!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, albingirl said:

Yeah, but maybe you don't want to know. Hey, have a wonderful cruise! Just remember, you can sue if it's bad. Looking forward to your balanced report from one of your unbalanced fans!

Who says I am balanced? An earlier comment said I would provide "factual" info. Not possible,  I  guess, because I have also been called a cheerleader! 😉😉😉😉

• Like 4
  • Haha 9

Everyone was onboard over 20 minutes early. Captain said we will be doing another 19 knot run to Halifax. He said probably more fog tonight...I am thinking how much compensation for two nights of foghorn. World cruise in the Pinnacle Suite? 😉

He also said everyone is asking about the weather,  but he isn't sure why. He said we might be feeling extra swell by tomorrow morning,  but he isn't sure of the reason...I am losing confidence in this Captain.  I hear is going to be giving free drinks at the show tonight.  Should I be concerned?

For those seeking negatives.  OK, the signing receipts issue...its inconsistent,  for sure. It seems if the bar staff knows you, you might not be told to sign a receipt. I would say we are signing 60% of the time right now.

• Like 4
  • Haha 8

3 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

For those seeking negatives.  OK, the signing receipts issue...its inconsistent,  for sure. It seems if the bar staff knows you, you might not be told to sign a receipt. I would say we are signing 60% of the time right now.

Marlon in the Martini bar is the best. I got to know him a little and was not signing receipts. It was a little funny. If I was there with other people and we all ordered drinks. Everyone else got receipts to sign but me. 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

He also said everyone is asking about the weather,  but he isn't sure why. He said we might be feeling extra swell by tomorrow morning,  but he isn't sure of the reason...I am losing confidence in this Captain.  I hear is going to be giving free drinks at the show tonight.  Should I be concerned?

As long as he is only GIVING the drinks, I wouldn't worry. If he's partaking, let's hope it's only a sip for the toast. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

Yes, I'm not sure what is up with tendering in Cornerbrook. Zaandam had been there once before we were there and she tendered that time. Perhaps we were just lucky to be alongside. 

According to corner brook port schedule, listed as berth, not anchored… same as last few visits.  

Www.cornerbrookport.com

• Like 2

We've always hear fog horns in that part of the world so we pack our small boating air horns with us and sound off on our balcony alternating with the ship. Since there isn't any entertainment at night, we like to make sure passengers have something to do after midnight. (You're welcome.)

Thanks for bringing us along and have some authentic Moosehead. 

Fair winds and enjoy the rain. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 9

9 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Just got back from an hour stroll around Eastport. "A small fishing village" is a brief, accurate description. Having 1200 pax here about doubles the population. They get a few small cruises to visit, but I doubt any bigger than Zaandam, as the pier is barely fitting Zaandam. With last minute switch, we saw only two tours. Otherwise, not much else to see except "quaint- ness". Some small shops and restaurants. 

Been cloudy/foggy all day, with a number of showers. But dry since 1pm. Hurricane Lee continues to promise some excitement probably by Saturday night, maybe lasting into Monday. Monday is a tender port at Corner Brook. Not optimistic. 

Lunch in Lido was very good...seafood paella. Love paella!

Tonight is a dressy night.

The problem with drink plans...they require repeated and comprehensive exercise. Off to keep our drink plan fit.

I do envy you! Once upon a time I used to spend my summers in Eastport and the Perry, Maine area as a child.  Have not been back sadly in going on 33 years now even with owning land there that I finally parted with 10 years ago. It is a lovely area with more than meets the eye to do if one has an automobile and passport. 

• Like 3

Last night was a dressy night. I would estimate 6 tuxedos. About 10% had suit and tie, another 30% had tie or suit coat without tie. The rest appeared to be within the "dressy" code. This is in general terms, mostly for the MDR. There were a number wondering around the ship in other attire.

Both DW and I had the tenderloin with shrimp, a sort of faux surf and turf. It very good. Not excellent,  but very good. Have to say we are spoiled by a hotel near our home that makes really fine tenderloin. Our waiter and assistant are a well oiled team...they move things along as fast as any cruise we have on. We tend to eat fast, and sometimes have to wait for the waiters to pick that up. Not with Sharman and Elina ( a female..haven't had a female waiter on HAL that we can recall).

The excitement of the evening was just before 5 when we were obtaining our walktail ( a word that I just learned on CC just a week ago) at the Ocean Bar. The ship alarms sounded, and a medical response was sent the Lido Pantry. To me, that says "employee", as a pax won't be in the pantry. 2 or 3 minutes later there were two attempted announcements that didn't come over the speakers. Finally, less than 10 minutes from initial announcement,  the Captain came on to announce it was actually a very small fire (I assume with the cutbacks and supply chain problems,  they couldn't get a bigger fire 😉), and it quickly and efficiently put out. All is well. This is the second fire in the Lido we have experienced...at least this one was in the daytime.  The last one was at midnight. 

The entertainment last night was the Captain's welcome toast and a classical pianist we had actually seen before. He is very good and entertaining, but not our style really. We watched about half his show. We also saw the first set of the Ocean Bar Band. They will get more of our attention I am sure. The entire band is getting off in Montreal, so further cruisers will see a different group. 

As mentioned above, the general avoid the hurricane plan is working...imagine that! The main path of the center of the storm ( no longer a hurricane shortly) will be to the west of us. I am sure we will still get a pretty bumpy ride...probably starting tonight,  and lots of rain.

The sailing out of Eastport was very pretty. Overnight we had fog for the first half of the night,  then rain until just an hour or so ago. Pulling in Halifax, where we will go to the Maritime Museum and get some lobster. Also a trip to our bank, which happens to have a branch close by,  for Canadian currency for this, and an upcoming trip.

• Like 13

5 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

And a walktail is...?

A cocktail ordered as you leave somewhere, to take with you. Useful, for example, to take into the dining room rather than wait for a DR server. 

We call then roadies, as in "one for the road". 

Edited by EatonDoolittle
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, Mosaic said:

We have a bunch of names for drinks that travel.  At a resort---walkers.  On a plane---flyers---on a ship---Sailers.

BUT they all have to be "FREE" or it does not count.  We also have many more names.

Ah, if it has to be free... MANY years ago on QE2, we got to know the bar staff on Sun Deck, where we always reserved chairs. One evening, at the captain's party, we discovered that they were pouring the champagne. So we stopped to say hello on the way out. They gave us fresh glasses to take with us--it was the end of the event, and they couldn't put it back in the bottle, right? That became our regular exit for parties on that ship. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mosaic said:

We have a bunch of names for drinks that travel.  At a resort---walkers.  On a plane---flyers---on a ship---Sailers.

BUT they all have to be "FREE" or it does not count.  We also have many more names.

Who made that rule??😄😄😄

• Like 1