On board Zaandam!

CruiserBruce

7 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

L'Anse aux Meadows?  (24 miles from St. Anthony); only confirmed Viking site in North America. I just went there on my recent cruise, it was fantastic.

image.thumb.png.a71bdf1d2e1dab12263fee110e9e6d09.png

image.png.db29262bcea23701f4302d8b0776c006.png

66A4C807-DC68-4F64-B105-82A2B8D98702_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.75b8ed3ea3997b2edf9acfe1137580ae.jpeg

I went to L'anse Aux Meadows on Seabourn Quest.  We anchored nearby and tendered over, didn't come over from St. Anthony.  I loved visiting it.  I wish all the ships could or would do that since it's a worthy spot to see.  St. Anthony?  No.

@Heidi13, thanks for the great info. I talked to the First Officer this morning.  He confirmed what you explained...the horn is still required. On the subject of the Prinsendam,  HAL had another Prinsendam until around 2017, I think.

@MisterMatthew, all equipment in the gym is Precor.

• Like 6

If you are a hiker and whale watcher St Anthony is a fine location on its own.  There are well defined trails and even a Viking long house you can visit without going the distance to the meadow. We found the locals very engaging.   One year on the VOV we did it  independently with no rentals, tour guides or shore excursions.  I would give St Anthony a thumbs up.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Last night we ate in Canaletto. It was busier than we have ever seen a Canaletto...by a good margin. From what we could gather, directly due to HIA.

DW had the Canaletto salad (huge serving) the short rib (good, not great) and the hazel nut tort (more about that in a minute). I had the tiger shrimp (different take on shrimp, standard size app, good taste) the extra charge lobster on spaghetti and the tort. I wouldn't get into the "my lobster is better than your lobster" battle, but the two 5 oz tails were just fine. The garlic butter sauce was to die for...WOW. The only negative was the top layer of the spaghetti somehow missed any garlic butter and a was a little dry. OK, really dry. But the rest of the spaghetti was AMAZING. If the garlic butter was evenly distributed,  I  might be still there right now, on my 10th serving. 

The tort is a carry over from previous Canaletto menus, and is a chocoholic dream. They have added a little mousse on top, doesn't need it, but definitely doesn't hurt it. Excellent.

I would like to report in 4 nights, we have had pillow chocolates 3 night and towel animals twice. When we first arrived in our cabin there was a checklist for the stewards...one or two visits per day, split beds or combined, extra towel, pillows, blankets, ice and a couple of other things. We chose two visits. Our stewards have been excellent..even getting our room done every day between 7am, when DW joins me for breakfast,  and before I shower after my work out.

Mike Roberts was good. Pretty sure we have seen him before. 

Weather was moderate overnight. 10-12 foot swells, 30-40 mph winds, but no rain. A little calmer now, and Zaandam is handling it well. I think Lee is passing up to the north. The CD even said we will have dancers tonight in the showroom as they think the seas will calm.

Just watched a pax come in, take the net off the hot tub and climb in. It's just after 8, hot tub doesn't open until 9. He sat in it for all of 5 minutes, then moved to a lounge chair. By the way, I would have to say the hot tub has been warmer than usual. Very nice.

• Like 12

It's very interesting reading your posts and comparing them to our experiences. We were on the cruise before you. We did not have a Checklist in our cabin when we arrived, only got Chocolates and towel animals twice for our entire 10 day cruise, and our cabin steward was basically MIA. Didn't clean up used glasses, or garbage for days at a time.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Kate45 said:

It's very interesting reading your posts and comparing them to our experiences. We were on the cruise before you. We did not have a Checklist in our cabin when we arrived, only got Chocolates and towel animals twice for our entire 10 day cruise, and our cabin steward was basically MIA. Didn't clean up used glasses, or garbage for days at a time.

Inconsistentcy isn't good …we were also on the 9/03 cruise and had excellent service twice a day. (I believe we also had the chocolates and towels animals twice, but that’s more than enough for me to be happy.) I’m sorry to read that your steward was MIA, and hope you reported it onboard and that you’ll fill out the emailed survey to be sure they know of this lapse.

• Like 2

CruiserBruce - I'm glad your seas are calmer now and that you enjoyed Canaletto. 

My stepfather really liked the hazelnut tort on the Zuiderdam. I will make it sometime. The ship uses Nutella for it.  I will order a tart pan from Amazon. 

Your room steward is top notch!

Thanks for all your reports.  Best wishes for good weather.

• Like 2

Well, @BetsyS., might have spoke a little too soon. The Captain just spoke, and announced we are experiencing gale force winds now. Missed the mph number, but I think that puts us over 40mph. Ship movement has also increased. But the Captain is still forecasting much calmer seas as the afternoon progresses.

Just ate at Dive In. Very good. After the resumption of cruising,  it seemed their French fries changed for the worse, but they have returned to being great!

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Kate45 said:

Chocolates and towel animals do seem to vary from cruise to cruise or steward to steward. But I have never experienced service like you had on any cruise. Not to say you didn't, but it isn't usual and I agree with @Caribbean Chris, I hope you reported it. 

I had a wonderful steward on my last HAL cruise. I usually go to breakfast early, so I would put the sign out so that he could do my room while everyone else was sleeping in. One morning a supervisor was in the hall, checking to see how things were, and I was so happy to see him and tell him how good the service was. 

• Like 8

23 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Well, @BetsyS., might have spoke a little too soon. The Captain just spoke, and announced we are experiencing gale force winds now. Missed the mph number, but I think that puts us over 40mph. Ship movement has also increased. But the Captain is still forecasting much calmer seas as the afternoon progresses.

Just ate at Dive In. Very good. After the resumption of cruising,  it seemed their French fries changed for the worse, but they have returned to being great!

Sounds like no dance show tonight! Even Fred Astaire couldn't manage on a rolling ship!

(20+) Video | Facebook

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Chocolates and towel animals do seem to vary from cruise to cruise or steward to steward. But I have never experienced service like you had on any cruise. Not to say you didn't, but it isn't usual and I agree with @Caribbean Chris, I hope you reported it. 

I had a wonderful steward on my last HAL cruise. I usually go to breakfast early, so I would put the sign out so that he could do my room while everyone else was sleeping in. One morning a supervisor was in the hall, checking to see how things were, and I was so happy to see him and tell him how good the service was. 

I seem to recall @CruiserBruce being the recipient of rather unique towel animals a while back.  He must be a VIP 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mary229 said:

The difference in chocolates could be related to category. Bruce, thanks for the Canaletto report.  I will sure to order an extra side of butter 

No, I don't think so. We were inside cabin deck 2, 3 weeks ago on the Zaandam. We also chose twice a day service, adding that night could be just a quick tidy up of towels and ice. We had chocolates regularly and towel animals more often than not. DSis1 chose once a day service and had the same towels/chocolates (same stewards). DSis2 chose the same DSis1, and had the chocolates and animals on dressy nights -different stewards. Her stewards were extremely helpful when she fell down and was bedridden for a day. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

It definitely looks like you're in the thick of it, that's for sure. Stay safe!

image.thumb.png.385bc80a6e5b0e408585614e7a423cc2.png

• Like 2

As I mentioned, we did not receive the checklist. Did not get ice any day, wasn't asked how we wanted our bed configured and saw/talked to our cabin Stewart exactly twice. He was waiting  when we first got to our cabin and once mid cruise passing in the hallway. Don't get me wrong, our cabin was made up every day once in the morning and turn down service at night, but not really "cleaned" as soda cans, garbage and towels were left in the main area for 3 days before taken away. We soon learned that if we didn't put the cans in the trash, they weren't picked up. And we had canned water sitting on the desk every night, yet no ice. We managed, but it is the worst cabin service we have ever had in 17 cruises on 6 different cruise lines!

4 minutes ago, Kate45 said:

As I mentioned, we did not receive the checklist. Did not get ice any day, wasn't asked how we wanted our bed configured and saw/talked to our cabin Stewart exactly twice. He was waiting  when we first got to our cabin and once mid cruise passing in the hallway. Don't get me wrong, our cabin was made up every day once in the morning and turn down service at night, but not really "cleaned" as soda cans, garbage and towels were left in the main area for 3 days before taken away. We soon learned that if we didn't put the cans in the trash, they weren't picked up. And we had canned water sitting on the desk every night, yet no ice. We managed, but it is the worst cabin service we have ever had in 17 cruises on 6 different cruise lines!

Interesting… must be “cabin stewards choice”…. On Zaandam starting Aug 23 for 11 days.   Deck 3 OV.  Met stew a few minutes after boarding.   Given choice of one (morning OR evening).  Got towel animals and chocolates twice.   Requested ice each morning, received as requested.  Asked if carafe of water could also be supplied (have gotten used to that on other carriers)… told not possible.   Never got canned water either.  It did take a few days for the uneaten birthday cupcake (not sure it was GF so I didn’t attempt) to be removed, but we figured stews were just being cautious (maybe being saved for later?).   
I was truly amazed by just how fast they completed the cabin (I swore I was only gone for 10 minutes one time and cabin had been COMPLETELY cleaned, linens refreshed, etc).

One of the team also assisted with degreaser when DH picked up some oil spots on promenade deck.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Kate45 said:

We soon learned that if we didn't put the cans in the trash, they weren't picked up.

Perhaps the attendant thought you might still be drinking them?

I think the trash can is a place to put trash so that it gets gone?

We fill up the trash can with our trash that we want him to get out of the room.  We leave dirty drinking glasses completely empty and on the edge of the table in one place so he knows those are ready to go.

I'm not sure there is any other way for him to know what is to stay and what is to go?

14 minutes ago, Kate45 said:

towels were left in the main area for 3 days before taken away.

Were the towels hanging up?  If so, that is a sign you want to reuse them.  And towels on the floor get removed and replaced.

Please correct me if I am off base with all this......

• Like 8

19 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Wow, that can't be a young Captain, if he was a Deck Officer on Prinsendam, which sank in 1980. I am really surprised that any Captain would make that type of public statement.

Yes, the ship's whistle is a maritime tradition, but it is also required for a number of functions, in addition to making the prescribed sound signals in restricted visibility. In restricted visibility, when a vessel is underway (not at anchor or secured to a berth), it makes 1 of 2 signals. When making way through the water, it sounds a prolonged blast (4 - 6 secs duration) at intervals not exceeding 2 minutes. A vessel NOT making way through the water sounds 2 prolonged blasts at intervals not exceeding 2 minutes.

Ship's on deep sea passage may never sound the 2 blasts, as they are normally underway, unless broken down. However, when docking/undocking and operating in narrow coastal channels, this is something that does happen, when 1 Captain has to stop to permit another vessel to clear a bend, narrow channel, etc. Without a whistle and making the correct sound signals other vessels wouldn't know the vessel is stopped.

Radar, accepting the vast improvements in technology, is still only an electronic aid to navigation and all Masters and Deck Officer should operate accordingly. Radar works best on a clear day and flat calm seas. On those types of days, we could pick up floating logs and even stationary birds. We must also be cognisant of the potential limitations of radars, especially with the suppression technology that was being introduced prior to my retirement. To reduce clutter, the suppression technology has to see a consistent return for a number of sweeps, before it actually painted it on the screen. In wet/windy conditions, I have seen many times where we can visually see small craft that are not shown on the radar screen. At times, no amount of fine tuning of the radar would display the target. Although very rare these days, I have also experienced multiple total radar failures on a ship. Having also used and purchased all major commercial radar systems, their ability in inclement weather varies considerably.

This brings to me to recall a discussion I had with our son, just prior to joining his first ship. As a Cadet, he had completed his first 6-month college phase and was heading to his first ship. Talking about sextants, etc he was adamant we didn't need them, as every ship has a back up to the back ups.... He couldn't consider it possible to have the entire Bridge go black. Fortunately, he now has that experience and is more considerate of non-electronic means of navigating.

Another key factor for using a whistle in restricted visibility, especially in coastal waters, is that most smaller pleasure boats have NO radar. They set to sea, navigating by smart phone GPS. I have experienced numerous near misses with small pleasure craft operating mid channel in a straight line, having them almost run into my vessel. My ship's whistle saved the day on many occasions, preventing small craft from running into us while we stopped dead in the water.

The International Collision Regulations also prescribe manoeuvring and warning signals, some of which include:

- Approaching a bend, the Master SHALL  sound 1 prolonged blast, which shall be responded by a similar signal by any vessel hearing the signal. At a blind corner, radar is useless, as it is line of sight, it doesn't see around bends.

- If any vessel, in sight of another vessel, is unsure of the intensions of another vessel it SHALL sound the "Danger Signal", which is at least 5 short & rapid blasts on the whistle

- They have additional signals for altering to port, stbd, going astern and overtaking.

In a man-overboard situation, the 3 long rings on the General Alarm are also sounded on the ship's whistle. This is for a number of reasons, the whistle is more audible than the G/A on deck (depending on the conditions) and it also alerts other vessels in the vicinity of the situation and that the vessel could be crash stopping, executing a Williamson Turn, etc.

The continuous sounding of the ship's whistle is also a recognised distress signal.

Another use that few mariners have utilised and it was not taught during my time as a Cadet, either aboard ship, or at college, is using the whistle during coastal navigation in restricted visibility. With the vessel steaming towards a charted cliff, you sound the whistle and time for the rebound (echo). Using the time, you can calculate the distance off the cliff. On the BC Coast, many ships safely navigated using the whistle and magnetic compass. I have tried this method and can attest that it does work.

Therefore, having spent almost 30 years in command of Ro/Pax, I cannot agree with the Master you met on Seabourn Quest. I have personal experiences where the ship's whistle has saved me considerable paperwork and potential lawsuits. I also commanded vessels with the latest integrated technology, using it to the fullest extent, but still was comforted to know, when the you know what hit the fan, we had a magnetic compass, windows and a whistle.

Wow! This was so informative! Thanks for taking the time. 

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

Perhaps the attendant thought you might still be drinking them?

I think the trash can is a place to put trash so that it gets gone?

We fill up the trash can with our trash that we want him to get out of the room.  We leave dirty drinking glasses completely empty and on the edge of the table in one place so he knows those are ready to go.

I'm not sure there is any other way for him to know what is to stay and what is to go?

Were the towels hanging up?  If so, that is a sign you want to reuse them.  And towels on the floor get removed and replaced.

Please correct me if I am off base with all this......

I leave any towels that I want removed/replaced in the shower or tub, depending on the cabin. Never had an issue. Hanging towels are to be reused.

• Like 7

On 9/14/2023 at 9:33 AM, CruiserBruce said:

Did you ever hear a cause for the repairs? I heard divers and rear thrusters. We made a 15 hour, 19 knot run to be here today, on time. 

We were on the Sept. 3 cruise as well. We heard divers working under the ship from the Captain.Speculation was repair work was either to thrusters or to sacrificial anodes. No confirmation from anyone in charge. The whole situation in Halifax/missing Bar Harbor was very poorly handled in my opinion. They knew when were were after 9 pm leaving we would not make the Bar Harbor call, yet even with announcements from the Captain then, they waited until 9am the next morning to cancel the port stop. Very poor. The ship finally left at 1:57am -- the second 1:57am as we had changed times and fallen back the hour to be in line with Eastern time zone.

On 9/15/2023 at 5:49 PM, Kate45 said:

We were just off the zaandam on Wednesday. Had 2 ports cancelled- one for weather (St Anthonthy, Nfld,) and the other (Bar Harbor) because of work needed on stern thrusters. We received port charges refunded AND a $75/pp obc. I am assuming this was because we lost a day because of a mechanical issue  by HAL? Not sure, but we ended up with enough credit to pay our grats!

I was on that cruise as well. The refunds and on-board credits meant the ship ended up owning me nearly $45, my brother nearly $200, and my parents over $200. We're still waiting to see if we get the refund. The holds on our credit cards have not yet cleared.