On board Zaandam!

CruiserBruce

15 minutes ago, MisterMatthew said:

CruiserBruce..

I am enjoying your report very much.  I have not been on the Zandam (yet).  It sounds like she is holding her own!

I have had the chile relleno on a different ship.  Not too bad in my opinion -- as i have had a few thousand on land.

Bruce, may i ask a question.  In the gym.. is the equiptment "TRUE" brand?  I only ask because i was recently on the Eurodam, and they had machines with that brand.  Smooth as silk when i used them.  So much better than my local Planet Fitness! Lol.

I am glad you enjoyed the Lido Bar b Que.  Oh, wait, that was a fire, he he he.

I enjoy your insights, Bruce.

----Matthew

The cardio machines are Precor. I will look at the weight machine brand tomorrow.

Thanks for your comments!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Just a thought, if Bruce gets to chat with the Captain.  When we were recently on the Seabourn Quest, we had to use the foghorn for several days (around Greenland and towards Canada).  The Captain on that ship (who previously was an officer on the Prinsendam) told us that the foghorn is completely unnecessary and simply a mariner tradition that has been kept as part of the international rules.  I further asked him about the danger of hitting a small craft that might not be seen on radar.  He explained that these days, that is no longer a problem and the ship's radar is more than adequate to spot any craft.   Am curious as to if this is a widespread thought, or if other Captains still feel it is absolutely necessary for safety.

On our cruise, those in the most expensive suites lost a few night's sleep because of that darn foghorn.  It was a perfect cruise for those in steerage, where all was quiet.

Hank

I will ask him if I get the chance. He actually said good morning to me about 20 minutes ago. Maybe one of the experienced actual Mariners can chime in. I tried to tag one, but don't have the right name for him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AroundWithMAPTravels said:

Captain confirmed during our voyage in Aug that starlink is being used on Zaandam.  What he didn’t say was whether all Wi-Fi used it or just the upgraded.

I don't know if both systems could be used in parallel.  But I do feel our internet has been pretty good.

• Like 2

CruiserBruce - Thanks for your very thorough updates! I hope your weather will clear up. I agree with your wife about the lasagna. I liked it on the Zuiderdam in MDR for  dinner this summer. They had it for lunch in Lido sometimes.  That was good, but the lasagna in MDR was better. I'm glad your wifi is great. Enjoy the Canaletto tonight!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AroundWithMAPTravels said:

Captain confirmed during our voyage in Aug that starlink is being used on Zaandam.  What he didn’t say was whether all Wi-Fi used it or just the upgraded.

If you're curious, you can run an Ookla Speed Test on your device using this link - 

Speedtest by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test

In the bottom lefthand corner, the satellite provider will be listed. In this case it's SpaceX Starlink. BTW when I did this particular test, it was done on an iPad. If you use an iPhone, you will only see the Download speed.

image.png.dfde7dfe53355d0a9c2c25c0890a1b40.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

27 minutes ago, BetsyS. said:

CruiserBruce - Thanks for your very thorough updates! I hope your weather will clear up. I agree with your wife about the lasagna. I liked it on the Zuiderdam in MDR for  dinner this summer. They had it for lunch in Lido sometimes.  That was good, but the lasagna in MDR was better. I'm glad your wifi is great. Enjoy the Canaletto tonight!

Unfortunately I think Lee has arrived. It started raining when we tried to go ashore,  and it has been windy since we arrived.  Raining a little lighter right now.

• Like 5

Re Foghorn and Radar: the Captain told us that the radar can detect an object which turns out to be a seagull on the water.

Re Starlink: the Captain told us that the 8 poles sticking up by the retractable Lido roof are part of the system. They are interesting. An EXC talk, maybe City by the Sea, said that the time for a signal from the ship to the satellite then land receiver and back takes 0.6 seconds.

The Captain was Michael Willems when we left on 3rd September. He said he is NOT staying on for the Grand South America on October 7th.

Thanks for your reports!

• Like 6

19 hours ago, Banditswife said:

Mid morning was windy and sheets of sideways rain.  Temperature was about 70.  Weather forecast was light rain LOL, but as predicted, rain let up around noon.  We will see how the afternoon goes                                         We saw the comic last night, Buddy Fitzgerald.  He did the same routine on our Celebrity cruise.  Tonight there is another comic preforming - looking forward to new material.                                                                    Going to venture out while it has stopped raining - wish us luck!

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Just a thought, if Bruce gets to chat with the Captain.  When we were recently on the Seabourn Quest, we had to use the foghorn for several days (around Greenland and towards Canada).  The Captain on that ship (who previously was an officer on the Prinsendam) told us that the foghorn is completely unnecessary and simply a mariner tradition that has been kept as part of the international rules.  I further asked him about the danger of hitting a small craft that might not be seen on radar.  He explained that these days, that is no longer a problem and the ship's radar is more than adequate to spot any craft.   Am curious as to if this is a widespread thought, or if other Captains still feel it is absolutely necessary for safety.

On our cruise, those in the most expensive suites lost a few night's sleep because of that darn foghorn.  It was a perfect cruise for those in steerage, where all was quiet.

Hank

Perhaps @Heidi13 could shed some light on the fog horn. From my little knowledge it is more about smaller boats (most of which don't have radar) being aware that there is a vessel in the area.

• Like 6

It looks like you are mostly skirting away from this storm, I hope you continue to dodge the worst of it. Hopefully your visit to Cape Breton (Sydney is on Cape Breton Island) will settle down and you can enjoy some of the hospitality that region is famous for. @Ferry_Watcher mentioned there was a new comedian joining the ship, if it's Mike Robinson you're in luck, we very much enjoyed both of the shows he did on our cruise.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 9/14/2023 at 10:33 AM, CruiserBruce said:

Did you ever hear a cause for the repairs? I heard divers and rear thrusters. We made a 15 hour, 19 knot run to be here today, on time. 

On 9/14/2023 at 3:22 PM, gknep said:

Divers and thrusters in Halifax. They kept running into setback which postponed our departure until 2AM. The repairs have been reportedly been ongoing in different ports for a while now. Cruise was still great. 

We were on the Zaandam until Aug. 23 and near the end of that cruise was when work started on the stern thruster(s).  Today while going through photos for my photo book, which is under construction this week, I saw photos of objects that appeared on the bow decking when we were in St. John's NF.  If they were there before I wasn't aware of it because I looked at the bow camera on my TV every day.  Here is what they look like.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

Looks like rusty metal covers they removed from the stern thrusters because no doubt they want to put new covers on the thrusters after replacement.  If @chengkp75 took a look he could probably give us an accurate assessment of what they are instead of my speculation.

BTW, you didn't miss much in St. Anthony.  Literally zilch.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

We were on the Zaandam until Aug. 23 and near the end of that cruise was when work started on the stern thruster(s).  Today while going through photos for my photo book, which is under construction this week, I saw photos of objects that appeared on the bow decking when we were in St. John's NF.  If they were there before I wasn't aware of it because I looked at the bow camera on my TV every day.  Here is what they look like.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

Looks like rusty metal covers they removed from the stern thrusters because no doubt they want to put new covers on the thrusters after replacement.  If @chengkp75 took a look he could probably give us an accurate assessment of what they are instead of my speculation.

BTW, you didn't miss much in St. Anthony.  Literally zilch.

Just checked my pictures. Those were still on the bow during our cruise. 

• Like 1

This underwater repair is interesting. I know that the stern thrusters were working when we were on Zaandam. You could see the wash from them when we were coming alongside. There were tugs standing by but they never actually touched the ship while I was watching them.

• Like 2

@Blackduck59, yes, the comic is Mike Robinson, so thanks for the recommendation. Once off the ship at 12:30 pm the rain basically held off, except for some light showers.  It is so warm here, with high humidity.  Many folks were just carrying their jackets, and only put them on during the light showers.  We visited the Irish pub called The Old Triangle Irish Ale House, and the more lively Governor's Pub & Eatery, which we were treated to one folk song by a local musician who was setting up, but sadly returning around the time the Zaandam sails.  I had a Nine Locks Brewery Dirty Blonde ( at both establishments), and spouse had a Kieth Brewery IPA, and a Big Spruce Brewery Bizarre Govs Triangle IPA, which he really liked.  We also talked to the Irish pub barkeep and the gentleman at the info desk at the terminal the the big regional music festival called Celtic Colours.  Scored with a big brochure with a map of the venues.  Thinking about returning in 2025 to experience that.

• Like 5

On 9/15/2023 at 12:38 PM, Banditswife said:

Here is a good reason to book inside cabins, the fog horns would most likely be less annoying.  

The odd suitcases in your cabin is a bit funny, wonder if the true owners were mad they didn't get their luggage in a timely manor.

Unfortunately, depending on the location of the ship's whistles, this may not always be true. The whistle can also be transmitted through the ship's structure, which I have experienced on a couple of ships.

• Like 3

On 9/15/2023 at 2:13 PM, mwj said:

We hope enjoyed Eastport! The eastern most city in the US. (Lubec is the eastern most town, and West Quoddy Head Lighthouse is the eastern most point.)

Just is a minor quibble having to do with easternmost terminology ((with all due respect to West Quoddy Head, the easternmost point on the US mainland):

The easternmost point of the United States (by direction of travel) is Point Udall, St. Croix, US Virgin Islands. The easternmost town by direction of travel is Christuansted, St. Croix. A Millennium Monument was built at Point Udall in 1999 to mark the first sunrise on American soil of 2000, a small point of pride at the time for those of us who resided on St. Croix. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

Wow, that can't be a young Captain, if he was a Deck Officer on Prinsendam, which sank in 1980. I am really surprised that any Captain would make that type of public statement.

Yes, the ship's whistle is a maritime tradition, but it is also required for a number of functions, in addition to making the prescribed sound signals in restricted visibility. In restricted visibility, when a vessel is underway (not at anchor or secured to a berth), it makes 1 of 2 signals. When making way through the water, it sounds a prolonged blast (4 - 6 secs duration) at intervals not exceeding 2 minutes. A vessel NOT making way through the water sounds 2 prolonged blasts at intervals not exceeding 2 minutes.

Ship's on deep sea passage may never sound the 2 blasts, as they are normally underway, unless broken down. However, when docking/undocking and operating in narrow coastal channels, this is something that does happen, when 1 Captain has to stop to permit another vessel to clear a bend, narrow channel, etc. Without a whistle and making the correct sound signals other vessels wouldn't know the vessel is stopped.

Radar, accepting the vast improvements in technology, is still only an electronic aid to navigation and all Masters and Deck Officer should operate accordingly. Radar works best on a clear day and flat calm seas. On those types of days, we could pick up floating logs and even stationary birds. We must also be cognisant of the potential limitations of radars, especially with the suppression technology that was being introduced prior to my retirement. To reduce clutter, the suppression technology has to see a consistent return for a number of sweeps, before it actually painted it on the screen. In wet/windy conditions, I have seen many times where we can visually see small craft that are not shown on the radar screen. At times, no amount of fine tuning of the radar would display the target. Although very rare these days, I have also experienced multiple total radar failures on a ship. Having also used and purchased all major commercial radar systems, their ability in inclement weather varies considerably.

This brings to me to recall a discussion I had with our son, just prior to joining his first ship. As a Cadet, he had completed his first 6-month college phase and was heading to his first ship. Talking about sextants, etc he was adamant we didn't need them, as every ship has a back up to the back ups.... He couldn't consider it possible to have the entire Bridge go black. Fortunately, he now has that experience and is more considerate of non-electronic means of navigating.

Another key factor for using a whistle in restricted visibility, especially in coastal waters, is that most smaller pleasure boats have NO radar. They set to sea, navigating by smart phone GPS. I have experienced numerous near misses with small pleasure craft operating mid channel in a straight line, having them almost run into my vessel. My ship's whistle saved the day on many occasions, preventing small craft from running into us while we stopped dead in the water.

The International Collision Regulations also prescribe manoeuvring and warning signals, some of which include:

- Approaching a bend, the Master SHALL  sound 1 prolonged blast, which shall be responded by a similar signal by any vessel hearing the signal. At a blind corner, radar is useless, as it is line of sight, it doesn't see around bends.

- If any vessel, in sight of another vessel, is unsure of the intensions of another vessel it SHALL sound the "Danger Signal", which is at least 5 short & rapid blasts on the whistle

- They have additional signals for altering to port, stbd, going astern and overtaking.

In a man-overboard situation, the 3 long rings on the General Alarm are also sounded on the ship's whistle. This is for a number of reasons, the whistle is more audible than the G/A on deck (depending on the conditions) and it also alerts other vessels in the vicinity of the situation and that the vessel could be crash stopping, executing a Williamson Turn, etc.

The continuous sounding of the ship's whistle is also a recognised distress signal.

Another use that few mariners have utilised and it was not taught during my time as a Cadet, either aboard ship, or at college, is using the whistle during coastal navigation in restricted visibility. With the vessel steaming towards a charted cliff, you sound the whistle and time for the rebound (echo). Using the time, you can calculate the distance off the cliff. On the BC Coast, many ships safely navigated using the whistle and magnetic compass. I have tried this method and can attest that it does work.

Therefore, having spent almost 30 years in command of Ro/Pax, I cannot agree with the Master you met on Seabourn Quest. I have personal experiences where the ship's whistle has saved me considerable paperwork and potential lawsuits. I also commanded vessels with the latest integrated technology, using it to the fullest extent, but still was comforted to know, when the you know what hit the fan, we had a magnetic compass, windows and a whistle.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 9

2 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Wow, that can't be a young Captain, if he was a Deck Officer on Prinsendam, which sank in 1980. I am really surprised that any Captain would make that type of public statement.

Yes, the ship's whistle is a maritime tradition, but it is also required for a number of functions, in addition to making the prescribed sound signals in restricted visibility. In restricted visibility, when a vessel is underway (not at anchor or secured to a berth), it makes 1 of 2 signals. When making way through the water, it sounds a prolonged blast (4 - 6 secs duration) at intervals not exceeding 2 minutes. A vessel NOT making way through the water sounds 2 prolonged blasts at intervals not exceeding 2 minutes.

Ship's on deep sea passage may never sound the 2 blasts, as they are normally underway, unless broken down. However, when docking/undocking and operating in narrow coastal channels, this is something that does happen, when 1 Captain has to stop to permit another vessel to clear a bend, narrow channel, etc. Without a whistle and making the correct sound signals other vessels wouldn't know the vessel is stopped.

Radar, accepting the vast improvements in technology, is still only an electronic aid to navigation and all Masters and Deck Officer should operate accordingly. Radar works best on a clear day and flat calm seas. On those types of days, we could pick up floating logs and even stationary birds. We must also be cognisant of the potential limitations of radars, especially with the suppression technology that was being introduced prior to my retirement. To reduce clutter, the suppression technology has to see a consistent return for a number of sweeps, before it actually painted it on the screen. In wet/windy conditions, I have seen many times where we can visually see small craft that are not shown on the radar screen. At times, no amount of fine tuning of the radar would display the target. Although very rare these days, I have also experienced multiple total radar failures on a ship. Having also used and purchased all major commercial radar systems, their ability in inclement weather varies considerably.

This brings to me to recall a discussion I had with our son, just prior to joining his first ship. As a Cadet, he had completed his first 6-month college phase and was heading to his first ship. Talking about sextants, etc he was adamant we didn't need them, as every ship has a back up to the back ups.... He couldn't consider it possible to have the entire Bridge go black. Fortunately, he now has that experience and is more considerate of non-electronic means of navigating.

Another key factor for using a whistle in restricted visibility, especially in coastal waters, is that most smaller pleasure boats have NO radar. They set to sea, navigating by smart phone GPS. I have experienced numerous near misses with small pleasure craft operating mid channel in a straight line, having them almost run into my vessel. My ship's whistle saved the day on many occasions, preventing small craft from running into us while we stopped dead in the water.

The International Collision Regulations also prescribe manoeuvring and warning signals, some of which include:

- Approaching a bend, the Master SHALL  sound 1 prolonged blast, which shall be responded by a similar signal by any vessel hearing the signal. At a blind corner, radar is useless, as it is line of sight, it doesn't see around bends.

- If any vessel, in sight of another vessel, is unsure of the intensions of another vessel it SHALL sound the "Danger Signal", which is at least 5 short & rapid blasts on the whistle

- They have additional signals for altering to port, stbd, going astern and overtaking.

In a man-overboard situation, the 3 long rings on the General Alarm are also sounded on the ship's whistle. This is for a number of reasons, the whistle is more audible than the G/A on deck (depending on the conditions) and it also alerts other vessels in the vicinity of the situation and that the vessel could be crash stopping, executing a Williamson Turn, etc.

The continuous sounding of the ship's whistle is also a recognised distress signal.

Another use that few mariners have utilised and it was not taught during my time as a Cadet, either aboard ship, or at college, is using the whistle during coastal navigation in restricted visibility. With the vessel steaming towards a charted cliff, you sound the whistle and time for the rebound (echo). Using the time, you can calculate the distance off the cliff. On the BC Coast, many ships safely navigated using the whistle and magnetic compass. I have tried this method and can attest that it does work.

Therefore, having spent almost 30 years in command of Ro/Pax, I cannot agree with the Master you met on Seabourn Quest. I have personal experiences where the ship's whistle has saved me considerable paperwork and potential lawsuits. I also commanded vessels with the latest integrated technology, using it to the fullest extent, but still was comforted to know, when the you know what hit the fan, we had a magnetic compass, windows and a whistle.

Thanks for the info.  We should be clear, that our ship did, indeed, always sound the 'foghorn" when in restricted visibility.  But I get it, that some mariners who follow the rules of the sea may have their doubts.  Much of the time we were in open sea (nowhere close to the coast) and we finally broke out of the fog near the eastern entrance of Prince Christiansund  (thank goodness, because that is such a beautiful area).  

We were once on the Queen Mary 2, crossing from Southampton to NYC, when the foghorn sounded (every 2 minutes) for 5 straight days!  We were happy to be in a lower inside cabin on that voyage :).

Hank

• Like 4

7 hours ago, ScottishMaid said:

Re Foghorn and Radar: the Captain told us that the radar can detect an object which turns out to be a seagull on the water.

Correct, what probably wasn't mentioned is they are generally only that efficient on a clear day and flat calm seas.

When any sort of a sea is running, the chance of the seagull being on a crest and visible to the radar on successive sweeps is very low. Unless it is visible on a number of successive sweeps, the radar considers it clutter and it isn't displayed.

Never mind seagulls, I've seen situations with wet/windy days, where small boats were visible to the eye, but not shown on radar, regardless of how well it is tuned.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Perhaps @Heidi13 could shed some light on the fog horn. From my little knowledge it is more about smaller boats (most of which don't have radar) being aware that there is a vessel in the area.

Thanks Lyle - saw Hank's post, so provided some comments.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Thank you for your detailed explanation. Fascinating!

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Wow, that can't be a young Captain, if he was a Deck Officer on Prinsendam, which sank in 1980. 

I think the Prinsendam referred to was the most recent one (former Seabourn Sun) sold off recently.  

Otherwise, agree with everything else in your very informative post!

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Thanks for the info.  We should be clear, that our ship did, indeed, always sound the 'foghorn" when in restricted visibility.  But I get it, that some mariners who follow the rules of the sea may have their doubts.  Much of the time we were in open sea (nowhere close to the coast) and we finally broke out of the fog near the eastern entrance of Prince Christiansund  (thank goodness, because that is such a beautiful area).  

We were once on the Queen Mary 2, crossing from Southampton to NYC, when the foghorn sounded (every 2 minutes) for 5 straight days!  We were happy to be in a lower inside cabin on that voyage :).

Hank

I never hear foghorns, Melanoma loungers,  or BB King's from my Luxury Inside Steerage Suites.  And one I step outside my door, I'm on the same ship as everyone else.

• Like 6