MDR upcharge items

bigbenboys

We are in a CS a week from tomorrow on Eclipse. So things should be as they were for the most part. My 1st question for the maitre d in Luminae will be. MDR has dishes on the menu that have a up charge. Do suite guest have to pay the up charge? Anyone on CC know the answer?

21 minutes ago, bigbenboys said:

We are in a CS a week from tomorrow on Eclipse. So things should be as they were for the most part. My 1st question for the maitre d in Luminae will be. MDR has dishes on the menu that have a up charge. Do suite guest have to pay the up charge? Anyone on CC know the answer?

Yes they do.

23 minutes ago, bigbenboys said:

The suite that include no extra charge for Speciality restaurants do not, but I was told the policy is that other suite guests have to play the daily up charge.  The exception is that you all Luminae guests do not need to pay for a second lobster when it is included on the day’s menu.

Based on what I was told on the August 18th Summit cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, bjahil47 said:

We are on Equinox in a RS next week.  I asked this question to executive office and was told anyone who orders upcharge items has to pay, does not matter what level Suite they are in.  

Yes. This has always been the case. Even when staying in Royal and Penthouse if we wanted an up charge item at places like Tuscan we would have to pay the fee. Or special event meals like the Indian dinners or poolside grill you had to pay the fee.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

Yes. This has always been the case. Even when staying in Royal and Penthouse if we wanted an up charge item at places like Tuscan we would have to pay the fee. Or special event meals like the Indian dinners or poolside grill you had to pay the fee.

@jagoffeestated that upper suites did not have to pay for the upcharge items in MDR.  I was told otherwise.  

I can only speak to the upcharge items in Tuscan when we are in a RS or above.  Our experience has been  about 50/50 whether they charge for it.  We’ve had times where they have provided it at no charge and others when they charged.  Official policy is that it’s not part of the complimentary dining for the RS and above, but some waiters will go ahead. 

Edited by dcbiker97
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, bjahil47 said:

@jagoffeestated that upper suites did not have to pay for the upcharge items in MDR.  I was told otherwise.  

And I was telling you what I was told on my prior cruises. So this is not a new thing for upper suite guests to have pay for up charge items. Some people seem to have been able to get out of paying the fees but there are always going to be anecdotal exceptions. That doesn’t change what Celebrity’s policy is.

3 hours ago, TommyD3 said:

In the past suite guests could special order a filet mignon any night without an upcharge. Since they cannot get the $20 MDR filet for free, can they still get a special order filet for free? Would seem not !!!

That would really make me unhappy for the amount we are paying for suites! Not a big fan of Luminae menu so we often ordered a filet instead. If I now have to play $20 for it that may be the last straw for my sailing with Celebrity in the future!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bjahil47 said:

Be sure to come back and report your experience.  I ordered a lobster tail on a non lobster night (in an upper suite).  I was not charged and I was told that it is included with the Upper suite.  Just sharing my experience.  I have also been told that the Chef’s table is an extra charge for everyone. (I did participate).  I have enjoyed the speciality dining lunches without a charge.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, TommyD3 said:

In the past suite guests could special order a filet mignon any night without an upcharge. Since they cannot get the $20 MDR filet for free, can they still get a special order filet for free? Would seem not !!!

We got special order filets in Muranos by requesting it a day in advance.  We were celebrating our anniversary and it probably did not hurt that we bought some expensive wine several times in Muranos.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

We got special order filets in Muranos by requesting it a day in advance.  We were celebrating our anniversary and it probably did not hurt that we bought some expensive wine several times in Muranos.

Are you talking about the specialty restaurant Murano? That would be a whole different scenario than Luminae

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

Special orders in Murano are very easy. We always used to get Steak Diane as a special order prepared table-side !!!

So, are people saying that a suite guest eating in the MDR would have to pay upcharge for a filet only OR that even in Luminae you would have to pay the upcharge for filet ? The latter being free on our last cruise if one of us decided we didn't want anything from the daily menu.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bmjohns said:

So, are people saying that a suite guest eating in the MDR would have to pay upcharge for a filet only OR that even in Luminae you would have to pay the upcharge for filet ? The latter being free on our last cruise if one of us decided we didn't want anything from the daily menu.

Friends of ours in Luminae recently asked and they would be charged if ordering the $20 filet off the MDR menu. Not sure if they could have ordered a different filet for free. Seemed to me if they already had the up-charge filet in the MDR available that Luminae guests should be able to get it for free considering how much Celebrity now charges for Sky suites and above !!!