What are the most consecutive sea days you've had on a cruise?

Honolulu Blue

What are the most consecutive sea days you've had on a cruise?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. What are the most consecutive sea days you've had on a cruise?

• Sea days? What are those??
    • 1 or 2
    • 3 or 4
    • 5 or 6
    • 7 to 9
    • 10 or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/10/2023 at 02:48 PM

On 9/26/2023 at 2:53 PM, K32682 said:

Sea days are dead time and two in a row is the most I've had to put up with. 

On my TA there were several sea days but no more than two in a row. The other two sea days were going to the Marquesas and the tedium was worth it. The weather on the first sea day was quite rough which I quite enjoyed. 

You caught my attention.  I've avoided TA's because of the number of consecutive sea days.  I might be interested if no more than 2 in a row.  If you don't mind my asking, what line and embark port was that?  

This might sound like a silly question but how can you have a crossing with only 2 sea days in a row? If you are in the middle of crossing the Atlantic you would have to have several sea days in a row......unless I am just missing something. Most folks who love crossings love the consecutive sea days.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Lois R said:

This might sound like a silly question but how can you have a crossing with only 2 sea days in a row? If you are in the middle of crossing the Atlantic you would have to have several sea days in a row......unless I am just missing something. Most folks who love crossings love the consecutive sea days.

That is what I was thinking too.  Maybe Greenland & Iceland?  IDK.   I'm seriously interested though.   

11 minutes ago, ldubs said:

That is what I was thinking too.  Maybe Greenland & Iceland?  IDK.   I'm seriously interested though.   

All I can tell you is I know people who love all the sea days and others? You could not pay them to take a crossing.

4 minutes ago, Lois R said:

All I can tell you is I know people who love all the sea days and others? You could not pay them to take a crossing.

I would fall among the latter if there were several sea days in a row.  That is why the comment caught my attention.   Different strokes for different folks.  

45 minutes ago, Lois R said:

An excellent question to ask.

Based on an 18:00 departure, with 2 full sea days and an 08:00 arrival, I estimate the steaming time to be 58 hrs. Allowing 1 hr after departure and before arrival for docking/undocking and harbour transit, it provides 5 hr + 24 hrs + 24 hrs + 7 hrs. However, heading East bound the ship will have 2 hrs of cloxs, hence the total passage time of 58 hrs. This gives a max distance of 1,044 n/mls.

From Newfoundland/Nova scotia, Iceland is normally 3 sea days, so a stop in Greenland would be required, before Iceland. Next stop would be the Faroe Is before heading to Scandinavia/UK.

The southern route down by the Equator, using Cape Verde Is the shortest crossing, but still requires more than 2 days.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, ldubs said:

You caught my attention.  I've avoided TA's because of the number of consecutive sea days.  I might be interested if no more than 2 in a row.  If you don't mind my asking, what line and embark port was that?  

It was HAL. The cruise started in Southampton and ended in Boston with port visits in Ireland, Iceland, Greenland and Canada. HAL still offers a version of it but it departs from Rotterdam and is a slightly longer than the cruise we took.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/find-a-cruise/E4T18A/U450B.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/8/2023 at 4:32 AM, K32682 said:

It was HAL. The cruise started in Southampton and ended in Boston with port visits in Ireland, Iceland, Greenland and Canada. HAL still offers a version of it but it departs from Rotterdam and is a slightly longer than the cruise we took.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/find-a-cruise/E4T18A/U450B.html

Thanks!  We now have another potential itinerary option we hadn't considered before.  

• Like 1

On 9/26/2023 at 10:51 AM, BklynBoy8 said:

Least 5 beginning first trip

Most 14

Enjoy and feel comfortable no least

Than 9, at most 14+

To much not comfortable 

The least consecutive sea days you’ve had is 5? 

We love the sea days and are finally heading on a bucket list TA cruise next month. Seven consecutive sea days to get us home. This is very exciting. 

We’ve had 2-in-a-row a couple of times; this will be much more fun!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, rtdiva said:

Upcoming on a WC 8 sea days from Namibia to Spain. 😱

Oh for gosh sakes…I’ve done numerous T/A and trans Pacific. Sea days are important to recover from daily excursions when the cruise is port intensive.

On 10/7/2023 at 11:33 AM, Lois R said:

It is my upcoming cruise. Next month I am taking a TA crossing from Lisbon to New York. We are going to have 9 sea days in  row. 

I was looking at both NCL and Silversea from Lisbon to New York -  I don’t recall either of them having more than 5 or 6 in a row.  What ship are you on?

On 10/7/2023 at 4:17 PM, ldubs said:

I think the least consecutive sea days you can get on a TA is at least 3 or 4 - there just aren’t that many stopping points there to accommodate a ship traveling at an economical speed.  There are big ocean gaps around the Canaries, Madeira and the Azores.

• Like 1

Our longest stretch of sea days was either 7 or 8 coming back from Tahiti to LA. That was a day or 2 too long for us- the weather was cool and we'd  become bored with the ship offerings by then. I'm not often glad to disembark, but I was after that one. I don't mind 4-5 sea days if they follow a busy period of ports beforehand.

• Thanks 1

High twenties going from Sydney to San Francisco, but like several others, that was on a Navy ship.  Entertainment and food were sort of lacking, and even the officers' staterooms were not all that comfortable.  Yet I did learn to love days at sea.  I hate sunrise, but I enjoy days at sea.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

I think the least consecutive sea days you can get on a TA is at least 3 or 4 - there just aren’t that many stopping points there to accommodate a ship traveling at an economical speed.  There are big ocean gaps around the Canaries, Madeira and the Azores.

It is possible to have fewer consecutive sea days if you take a northern itinerary. The itinerary linked below has only single sea days although one the days is cruising only so two days without landfall. I took a version of it a few years ago that departed from Southampton. It was shorter due to cruising past Greenland, fewer stops in Ireland and Canada and because we disembarked in Halifax for convenience. 

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en/ca/find-a-cruise/e4t18a/u450b

Edited by K32682
  • Thanks 1

Despite taking some longer cruises, I've tended to avoid those with long stretches of sea days. While I like having one in the schedule every so often as a "recovery" day, I am not a big fan of long unbroken stretches of time at sea. To the best of my memory (keeping in mind I have nearly 50 years of cruising behind me), I've never had more than 2 consecutive sea days.

However, now that I'm retired and less pinched for time, I'm reconsidering it. A killer deal on a TA that dovetails nicely with some pre-planned time in Rome (and is cheaper than business class airfare) will be my first foray into having 6 consecutive sea days (!!). I plan on loading up my Kindle...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/31/2023 at 4:25 PM, navybankerteacher said:

I was looking at both NCL and Silversea from Lisbon to New York -  I don’t recall either of them having more than 5 or 6 in a row.  What ship are you on?

Brand new ship, she is called "NOVA" and you are right, it is 6 days in a row.....I guess I got confused LOL.......thought it was 9. 

On 11/1/2023 at 3:09 PM, cruisemom42 said:

Despite taking some longer cruises, I've tended to avoid those with long stretches of sea days. While I like having one in the schedule every so often as a "recovery" day, I am not a big fan of long unbroken stretches of time at sea. To the best of my memory (keeping in mind I have nearly 50 years of cruising behind me), I've never had more than 2 consecutive sea days.

However, now that I'm retired and less pinched for time, I'm reconsidering it. A killer deal on a TA that dovetails nicely with some pre-planned time in Rome (and is cheaper than business class airfare) will be my first foray into having 6 consecutive sea days (!!). I plan on loading up my Kindle...

We regularly return from our late summer/fall land travel on TA repositionings from Rome or Southampton - the fares are great, the ships uncrowded, the time change is barely noticeable. QM2, with her straight shot to Brooklyn, gives the most sea days, most others have breaks in the Canaries, Madeira or the Azores. You may find it not overly difficult to adjust to a string of “reading days”.

7 or 8 ... It was a transatlantic from NY to Amsterdam.  It was wonderful ... I LOVE using the ship.  

The weather was rough, rain with high seas. The doors had to be locked to keep people from going out on deck.  I LITERALLY had a woman say to me ... "WHY are they locking the doors?"  I replied "Because the decks are wet and people can fall and break bones." (ELDERY clientele) She LITERALLY said to me "SOoooo ... they get airlifted to a hospital ... no big deal!"   ?????  

The Capt. had announced that morning we were 450 +/- miles from land.  

I asked her ... "What helicopter do you know that can make a 900 mile RT for a cruise ship with a person with broken bones??"    SMH 

• Haha 1

7 consecutive Sea Days - OCT/NOV 2019 - TransAtlantic - Copenhagen to New Orleans

4 was the original plan...
Unfortunately due to weather, we were unable to dock in the Azores - which created 7 straight Sea Days from Cobh, Ireland to the Royal Navy Dockyard, Bermuda

6 consecutive Sea Days - SEPT 2018 - TransPacific - Vancouver - Tokyo (Yokohama), Japan

Planned Sea Days between Seward, AK & Petropavlovsk / Kamchatka Peninsula / Siberia, Russia

Both were Fantabulous cruises & Sea Days were filled w/ Activities & Fun!

Edited by Von & John
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1