Solarium now 18+

On 10/4/2023 at 9:51 PM, HBE4 said:

That's one way to keep young teens out of the Solarium.  Last thing they want to see are people their parents age engaging in a little PDA. 😁😁

😉😇

I kid, I kid. 

We are older than parents of teens. Older than dirt? Maybe.

• Like 2

On 10/5/2023 at 5:21 AM, Ocean Boy said:

What is the crew supposed to do? Is it written anywhere in RCI's rules that they can't be there. I don't recall ever seeing any sign about an age minimum.

Sorry. I don't agree. I think it is abhorable that kids are taking up seats at a bar coloring with crayons when adults may want those seats to order cocktails sit at the bar.

• Like 3

On 10/5/2023 at 2:21 AM, Ocean Boy said:

What is the crew supposed to do? Is it written anywhere in RCI's rules that they can't be there. I don't recall ever seeing any sign about an age minimum.

13 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

Sorry. I don't agree. I think it is abhorable that kids are taking up seats at a bar coloring with crayons when adults may want those seats to order cocktails sit at the bar.

I know on Navigator in The Bamboo Room it is supposed to be age restricted according to the website. However, there is no sign on as you enter that indicates that and there is no enforcement of it by staff that I have seen.

image.thumb.png.7a9108a4efcdc390bbda3c68fa293420.png

The website indicates the same thing for the Schooner and R-Bar as well. 

'm ok with underage being in their as long as it is reasonable. ie a teenager sitting with family etc.   Popping your carrier thingy with your infant in it while you down shots isn't reasonable in my book.  

Edited by Tree_skier

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I have been on sailings where kids ran down the hallway knocking on all the doors. One sailing some kids went down the halls and removed the breakfast room service request cards from the cabin doors. 

Oh geesh!  Cruisers down at customer service complaining about no breakfast and it’s not Royals fault.  What a crappy situation!!

1 hour ago, coffeebean said:

I completely agree with you. I am just not sure the crew has the standing to do anything about it.

2 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

I know on Navigator in The Bamboo Room it is supposed to be age restricted according to the website. However, there is no sign on as you enter that indicates that and there is no enforcement of it by staff that I have seen.

image.thumb.png.7a9108a4efcdc390bbda3c68fa293420.png

The website indicates the same thing for the Schooner and R-Bar as well. 

'm ok with underage being in their as long as it is reasonable. ie a teenager sitting with family etc.   Popping your carrier thingy with your infant in it while you down shots isn't reasonable in my book.  

The age restriction doesn't refer to being admitted to the bar it just refers to drinking. If you look on the app these same venues just say must be of legal age to purchase alcohol.

15 hours ago, bretts173 said:

The age restriction doesn't refer to being admitted to the bar it just refers to drinking. If you look on the app these same venues just say must be of legal age to purchase alcohol.

I see where is says "Guests purchasing and consuming alcohol must be of legal age..." but that doesn't preclude the statement on the website.  It lists the venue and lists the age to access the venue. The statement on the app referring to drinking age doesn't preclude the requirement to be a certain age.

The problem is Royal's typically ambiguous language leaves everyone not sure what the rule is so staff do nothing at all.

10 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

I see where is says "Guests purchasing and consuming alcohol must be of legal age..." but that doesn't preclude the statement on the website.  It lists the venue and lists the age to access the venue. The statement on the app referring to drinking age doesn't preclude the requirement to be a certain age.

The problem is Royal's typically ambiguous language leaves everyone not sure what the rule is so staff do nothing at all.

Stating that purchases of alcohol can only be made by those of drinking ages suggests that those under drinking age can be there not purchasing alcohol. In fact many family trivia events and the like are held in the Schooner Bar for example.

• Like 2

I just got off the 10/1 Allure sailing.

Omg, so many kids and so many ill behaved kids with parents that didn't care what they were doing as long as they were not bothering them.

Parents had to be reminded daily that children in many cases crying infants were not supposed to be in the Solarium.  I spent a fair amount of time in the Solarium and had to point a few out.  For some reason crew members literally were fearful of speaking to the offenders.

I generally time my cruises when there should be a minimum of kids sailing.  I have no idea why so many school aged children were out of school for a week the first week of October.  And that is on top of the infants and toddlers.

Since Covid I have been doing all inclusive land based based vacations at adult only resorts.  I have clearly become spoiled.  Not only due to no kids but also due to a sophistication of demographic.   The drunk idiots were out of control as well.  

While I enjoyed my vacation I have never had such a poor experience when it came to other passengers.  Something dramatic has changed since I last cruised in 2019.

I will give RC another chance either late this year or early next year.  Carnival is not an option.  That was a one and done experience.  I am not inclined to try Virgin.  I will likely need to be looking at SilverSea or Azamara moving forward.  I like the big ship experience.  But if the demographic I experienced last week is what RC is aiming for it is time for me to move on.

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, gammite said:

Omg, so many kids and so many ill behaved kids with parents that didn't care what they were doing as long as they were not bothering them.

Parents had to be reminded daily that children in many cases crying infants were not supposed to be in the Solarium.  I spent a fair amount of time in the Solarium and had to point a few out.  For some reason crew members literally were fearful of speaking to the offenders.

I generally time my cruises when there should be a minimum of kids sailing.  I have no idea why so many school aged children were out of school for a week the first week of October.  And that is on top of the infants and toddlers.

Since Covid I have been doing all inclusive land based based vacations at adult only resorts.  I have clearly become spoiled.  Not only due to no kids but also due to a sophistication of demographic.   The drunk idiots were out of control as well.  

While I enjoyed my vacation I have never had such a poor experience when it came to other passengers.  Something dramatic has changed since I last cruised in 2019.

I will give RC another chance either late this year or early next year.  Carnival is not an option.  That was a one and done experience.  I am not inclined to try Virgin.  I will likely need to be looking at SilverSea or Azamara moving forward.  I like the big ship experience.  But if the demographic I experienced last week is what RC is aiming for it is time for me to move on.

Sad to hear.  Hopefully this wasn’t the “new norm” and rather a one-off experience.  I guess we’ll see after your next Royal cruise 

I'm good with the change -- all my kids are adults... my granddaughter who has cruised with us tends to be like the others mentioned here -- old for her age.... 

My guess is that any 16-17 year old who figures out how to blend in will be just fine....    

1 hour ago, gammite said:

Fall Break with Columbus Day the following Monday is a real thing in parts of the country who go back to school before Labor Day...

9 hours ago, gammite said:

We have an 11 yr old and have sailed twice this year. February, and just recently on 10\1-10\8.  We sail during the school year because it's when we can afford it. It saves us a lot of money, and he is able to sign on once or twice to see his assignments and read his book while laying in bed at night 2-3 nights during the cruise. Then he just makes up those assignments when we get home.  This is why you see kids all year round- it's a lot less, but there will always be a good amount of kids 12 and under on these sailings due to the kids sail free promos. 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Scottdalfonso said:

but there will always be a good amount of kids 12 and under on these sailings due to the kids sail free promos. 

That’s a very good point. RC run KSF outside of main holiday times and yet people are surprised when there are kids on board. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Billy Baltic said:

That’s a very good point. RC run KSF outside of main holiday times and yet people are surprised when there are kids on board. 

The KSF is but one thing that increases the amount of kids on a ship.  But, as it turns out, at the same time that we feel that there SHOULD be fewer kids on the ship, it's the same time that S. America and other regions of the world have their summer break and/or holidays.  And those regions know what the school schedule in the U.S. is and avoid its summer and national holidays, for many reasons.  It's very hard to find that sweet spot where there are the fewest kids onboard.  We've found that the best time is right after major holidays like Christmas/New Year.  I know I've been on cruises that seemed to be totally or very heavily English-speaking families and on occasion, English doesn't seem to be the dominant <for lack of a better term,  language.  So, I usually look at the school and national holiday schedules of many of the S. American countries and plan accordingly, avoiding summer and national holidays in both regions.  

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

The KSF is but one thing that increases the amount of kids on a ship.  But, as it turns out, at the same time that we feel that there SHOULD be fewer kids on the ship, it's the same time that S. America and other regions of the world have their summer break and/or holidays.  And those regions know what the school schedule in the U.S. is and avoid its summer and national holidays, for many reasons.  It's very hard to find that sweet spot where there are the fewest kids onboard.  We've found that the best time is right after major holidays like Christmas/New Year.  I know I've been on cruises that seemed to be totally or very heavily English-speaking families and on occasion, English doesn't seem to be the dominant <for lack of a better term,  language.  So, I usually look at the school and national holiday schedules of many of the S. American countries and plan accordingly, avoiding summer and national holidays in both regions.  

Perhaps the size and class of ship would also help. I’d guess that most families will gravitate away from the smaller ships. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, gammite said:

There's a few UK lines that are either fully adult or have a couple of ships that are adult only  P@O, Virgin, Saga (over 55s). Maybe something like this would suit, not sure if they sail in Caribbean.

Celebrity also seem to have less kids 

Alternatively the longer cruises usually have less children 

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, HwyFuzz said:

Currently on the Freedom of the Seas and it’s 16. Doesn’t matter - 21 and overs here acting like it’s the main pool, no music - just obnoxious. 

image.jpg

Yeah, never really been impressed with the solarium on the voyager and freedom class ships. (even though I love those classes of ships ). It’s just another outdoor pool area, nothing like the solarium on oasis and quantum class.

• Like 2

On 10/11/2023 at 9:18 AM, Billy Baltic said:

Perhaps the size and class of ship would also help. I’d guess that most families will gravitate away from the smaller ships. 

Nope.  On GR over spring break a couple of times we've sailed with 700 kids.  We've had as few as 10 on a 12 night several years ago, but even 12 night cruises out of Baltimore now have a lot more kids than they used to.  Which means a lot of bored kids as there just isn't as much to do for them and the kids program isn't big enough to handle them.  We had a mother a few years ago bring her kids into the Solarium on GR because it started raining out at the main pool.  She got into an argument with the staff because she said and I quote "My kids HAVE to swim".  Really?  They "have" to?  She was yelling at the staff and a few others.  We sat and watched.   I've heard parents complain there isn't much for kids to do on Vision class. Well, if they had done any research at all, they'd know that.  

• Like 1

On 9/28/2023 at 2:58 PM, Ret MP said:

…BTW, I don't have a problem with "Adults Only", and I've said over and over again that I agree with this new policy.  The rest is just the Devil's Advocacy and a little inner dilemma….

You really like to play devils advocate (since you say this over and over), don’t you? That’s a good way to keep the argument going.

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 1

On 10/4/2023 at 4:45 PM, lcpagejr said:

Of course not… His/her cruise card controls that.  And your entitled to your opinion as am I. They do not check IDs therefore if a person ( middle aged teenager) is sitting on a lounger with airpods in , minding their business and reading a book… why should we care?? Im in vacation. If this i such a big deal and you want 100% compliance …. Why dont you suggest to the powers to be at RCL to place an employee at entrance to check IDs??  This will never happen.

And there’s the entitlement mentality. The “I’m on vacation” so I can do what I want. If the under 18 yo is quiet it doesn’t mean they aren’t taking up a lounger that should be for an adult.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ReneeFLL said:

And there’s the entitlement mentality. The “I’m on vacation” so I can do what I want. If the under 18 yo is quiet it doesn’t mean they aren’t taking up a lounger that should be for an adult.

That is true. On the smaller than Oasis Class ships I have often found it difficult to get a lounger in the Solarium. My reason for preferring the Solarium is that I don’t want to hear the music or the noisy pool games. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

You really like to play devils advocate (since you say this over and over), don’t you? That’s a good way to keep the argument going.

Can you please provide me with a statistical review of how many times I've said, "I like to play devil's advocate".  I don't seem to remember saying it more than MAYBE 2 or 3 times out of almost 5K posts.  

I don't try to create arguments, I like to further or create discussions.  After all, this is a discussion board, is it not?  I find that there are a few folks who like to misinterpret my discussions and like to debate or they just seem to take things personally.  And yes, I do like a good debate.    

• Haha 1