Tips and AI

TMaine

Wasn't that kind of the point of these AI fares? Wow. Cruise lines keep moving this around so that there is always one more thing, whatever it is. They learned well from the airlines. It seems that once people have made the commitment to go and see a price which they think might be complete, the additional fees don't have the rational impact they should.

The only alternative cruisers have is to not accept the change or addition and forgo the entire cruise. Not many are willing to do that over $14 to $20 per day per person. 

We grumble, but we pay. Until we stop. Which may be coming.

Edited by CruiseMrB
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TMaine said:

I just heard that tips are no longer included in "All Included"... so I guess it's not ALL included. 

According to their logic, that is to enhance your cruise experience, just like any and all changes they make.

• Haha 3

35 minutes ago, RTShaker said:

According to their logic, that is to enhance your cruise experience, just like any and all changes they make.

I’m sure seeing gratuity added to my onboard account every day will definitely enhance our cruise experience😉

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, MarkE said:

Tips not included will only cause the staff problems as some will leave nothing as a tip.

No real change.

If you do nothing tips will still be charged daily to your onboard account - which will help passengers with large OBCs

Or you can prepay.

Anyone who previously had the tips removed will continue to do so.

Personally I would like to see a base price that included port charges, taxes and tips (with no possibility of tips being removed).

• Like 5

1 hour ago, the penguins said:

No real change.

If you do nothing tips will still be charged daily to your onboard account - which will help passengers with large OBCs

Or you can prepay.

Anyone who previously had the tips removed will continue to do so.

Personally I would like to see a base price that included port charges, taxes and tips (with no possibility of tips being removed).

In Canada taxes and port fees have to be included in the base price , service charge should also be included in the base price 

12 hours ago, deliver42 said:

If you book as part of a recognized group through a TA, you have until 10/30 to get the AI including tips. I just did that for a 2025 cruise on the Ascent. Sorry, can't mention the TA

That’s only for cruises with a 2025 sail date. Groups with a 2024 sail date will continue to have grats included. 

12 hours ago, deliver42 said:

If you book as part of a recognized group through a TA, you have until 10/30 to get the AI including tips. I just did that for a 2025 cruise on the Ascent. Sorry, can't mention the TA

That is for 2025 cruises only. 2024 group rates from TAs are protected with tips and have no drop dead date to purchase to have tips included, which is nice for 2024 cruises.

2 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

In Canada taxes and port fees have to be included in the base price , service charge should also be included in the base price 

Same in U.K. and Europe - basically anything that is not optional must be included. In New Zealand and Australia X goes further and includes the tips although it promotes it as “tips not required” which prevents them being removed.

30 minutes ago, the penguins said:

Same in U.K. and Europe - basically anything that is not optional must be included.

You are not wrong, but in this case they are presenting the tips as 'optional' so they are not included, a booking on the UK site makes it clear that the 'optional' tips will be charged separately and gives you the option to pre-pay when making the booking....

... so I would expect that the staff are going to notice this change....

Edited by Mark_T

51 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

I have never seen them included. There has always been a separate line item for port fees for any I have booked.

10 hours ago, Baynanno1 said:

. . . . until it isn't included any more! 🤔

You actually seemed surprised that they would do something like that. There is absolutely nothing they could possibly do to squeeze more money out of their customer’s pockets, that would surprise me.

2 hours ago, Mark_T said:

You are not wrong, but in this case they are presenting the tips as 'optional' so they are not included, a booking on the UK site makes it clear that the 'optional' tips will be charged separately and gives you the option to pre-pay when making the booking....

... so I would expect that the staff are going to notice this change....

That’s exactly as it’s always been.
Whilst it’s promoted as “optional” if you choose not to pre pay it will simply be added to your onboard account every day and you will have to be proactive to have them removed.