New to Princess

JOHN 57

really have not got that far as of yet.  I did discover, that Princess offers 898 to Hawaii, compared to 1200 for carnival.  I cannot drink, due to kidney disease, leaving Myriam todrink option. Exactly what is crew appreciation,  dining option is that included in your fare.

41 minutes ago, JOHN 57 said:

really have not got that far as of yet.  I did discover, that Princess offers 898 to Hawaii, compared to 1200 for carnival.  I cannot drink, due to kidney disease, leaving Myriam todrink option. Exactly what is crew appreciation,  dining option is that included in your fare.

Crew appreciation is the automated tipping that most lines collect from passengers in addition to base fares.  $16 per person per day in a balcony and below.

There are plenty of places to dine on your base fare, but the number has been shrinking.  You will always dine in the main dining room and buffet at no additional charge.  Most Princess ships have several additional options; a grill, a pizza by the slice, soft serve ice cream, the international cafe for sandwiches, soups and desserts.

Edited by BamaVol

We have sailed with Carnival Cruises a couple of times but it has been a long time ago, so i can't really offer a comparison. But what I can share is what it is like to cruise to Hawaii on Princess as we have done that trip a number of times. In our experience, Princess does a very good job of trying to bring the Aloha spirit to the entire trip, beginning to end. So on the numerous sea days there is Hawaiian music and cultural activities including crafts like lei making, hula lessons and ukulele lessons. They also include some special items on the menu that are a nod to Hawaiian cuisine. In addition, while you are in the islands, they bring some entertainers onboard at certain ports. There are also cultural talks and presentations. As far as the Princess experience in  general, we enjoy it. The ships are beautiful, food and service are great, and we find that overall it provides a good value. Only you can decide if it is good fit, but for a Hawaii cruise I would encourage you to give it a try.

• Like 2

On your 16 day RT, San Francisco to Hawaii, having done this itinerery a few times out of LA, be ready for some sea days. You will not have the level of energy scheduled into your cruise on Princess that you do on Carnival. There are things to do, sure! You will have to decide which activity to pick from, but more in the way of immersion, meaning lectures about history and travel. Less in the way of hairy chest competitions and belly flop contests.

More included dining on Carnival, tips are higher on Princess, but those are adjustable if you don't buy a package. You don't drink and neither do we. So to our thinking, the packages don't make sense. YMMV.

1 hour ago, JOHN 57 said:

These are very basic questions.  Why not spend some time researching Princess on their website and then come back with some more specific questions?

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 2

We recently did the Mexican Riviera itinerary on the Carnival Panorama a couple of months ago. First time on Carnival in quite a while. We were very impressed with the ship. Of course it doesn't hurt that the Panorama is the newest Carnival ship! We have nothing but good things to say about that ship.  Then again, the clientele on Carnival ships (strictly in our experience) leaves us desiring to run back to Princess or maybe Celebrity. All along our hallway were some very inconsiderate (dare I say rude?) people that simply acted as if they were on their own private ship. Food was excellent...I think we only ate in the buffet once or twice. 

I kept expecting some type of disturbance (fight?) to break out given that Carnival has received such bad PR along those lines...but our "fears" were unfounded. DW wants to go back to the Panorama...but it appears that it *only* does that itinerary...and she is dead set against repeating cruises!

You appear older. You should enjoy Princess. It's a different vibe. Princess has the Hawaiian ambassador program. This includes ukulele instruction for beginners or those with some experience & hula sessions with a combined show at the end of the cruise. There are also Hawaiian craft sessions for a fee and Hawaiian entertainment. I think you really have to decide if you wish to sail ion this cruise. I am already booked on the Ruby in January 2025. I don't know where you saw the $898 fare, but that seems very low for a 16 night cruise. I would look into that further. It sounds like the lowest category inside cabin with no port charges added. Personally I booked a balcony cabin. This would be especially important if confined to your cabin for illness on this longer cruise.

Is the plus fare worth it? You have to do the math. Without the plus fare you will have to pay $16/pp/day for crew appreciation(gratuities), wifi Which I think is $10 or $15/day for one device, a one time charge of $15 per person to use the Ocean Now app, a $5/call for room service, $15 each for casual meals, if you want them at the Salty Dog Gastropub and Vines. Note, don't confuse the Salty Dog Gastropub in the Wheelhouse Bar with the Salty Dog Grill by the pool. The Grill is no charge. You will also have to pay for all your drinks including alcoholic cocktails, specialty coffees and teas, sodas, and so on. Regular coffee and teas are available at no charge all day and evening in the buffet and in the DRs. There is also no charge for breakfast room service ordered by the hang tag which would be in your cabin each evening.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JOHN 57 said:

I am considering a cruise on Ruby Princess in January 2025  to Hawaiii.  So please tell me what is so special about princess over carnival.  Thank you.

Carnival is a "Party Ship", loud, bosteous, drinking crowd.  Princess caters to a more mature crowd.  So it's your choice---want to party hardy, go Carnival, want a more relaxed cruise, go Princess. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Pickels said:

Carnival is a "Party Ship", loud, bosteous, drinking crowd.  Princess caters to a more mature crowd.  So it's your choice---want to party hardy, go Carnival, want a more relaxed cruise, go Princess. 

There are other factors that come into play.  Mrs Fan and I did a Carnival cruise a couple of years back during the first week of December. Not rowdy. Not a party ship at all. It was very relaxed, and the food was great. I guess kids, college students were still in school. Lots of working folks not using their vacation time to cruise due to Christmas being a few weeks away.

Spring break (and most of the summer days) on a 5-7 day sailing in the Caribbean will be a rowdy trip.

Times other than spring break or summer break will be less of a party group. 

Longer cruises (>7 days) will be less of a party ship.

I do prefer the more traditional lines like HAL and PCL, but we had a great time on Carnival and I would sail them again if the timing (and pricing) was right. 

• Like 1

I would almost always want to cruise Princess over Carnival.

BUT...  there are so many factors.

Perhaps you could narrow it down to a couple of SHIPS and ITINERARIES.

You might want to do that first, so that you can compare the two, and try to avoid comparing apples to oranges.

Which ships are doing the itinerary?  (Ruby has not been getting great reviews, and I heard from a good friend who did Alaska over the summer, that, like many reviews, the dining was just not that great... even a different menu than the other standard Princess offerings.)

So, look at the ships and itineraries.

New ship?  Old ship?  Big ship?  Small ship?

( why am I sounding like Dr. Zeuss!!! hahaha!)

You are probably trying to cruise Hawaii on a budget... and you mention 'best deal'...

Know that you will not see what the BEST deal is until you factor in which cabin category, which dining and beverage options are available at what costs...  etc.

Cruising is not so much 'inclusive' as it used to be!

I will post again, and tell you three of the things that I enjoy on Princess...

1.  The 'vibe'...  If you are traveling in January, there will be very few kids and younger adults onboard.  Especially on Princess.  Also, the whole Princess 'vibe' might be different than many Carnival cruises.

2.  The Piazza -  The Princess concept of the Piazza, as a centralized common area with bars, food (the International Cafe and the coffee-shop) , Vines, an adult vibe entertainment, etc...  Is something that is notable. 

3.  We enjoy the Sanctuary...  It truly is a comfortable and adult and more 'quiet' oasis. 

Note...  there is a reasonable charge for this.  This is booked first-come first-served... so those with perks (like suite and elite) will be able to book up the loungers..  You should board as early as possible and go immediately and directly up to the Sanctuary to see if there is availability.

I have only done Hawai'i on Princess & short (3-4 day) cruises on Carnival so I can't compare for you, but I did 'lives' from our last 2 Hawai'i cruises to give you an idea what to expect. There is also a current live from the Sapphire LA-Hawai'i.

Being from Texas, you might also consider the LA-Hawai'i cruise which is only starting $100 more & by the time you get to picking a room it may not be higher...it might have slightly smoother seas & warmer weather the first 2-3 days out & back in (or might not, weather to Hawai'i is unpredictable)...

if you have specific questions, I will be glad to try & answer them.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It really depends on the experience and vibe you desire!

I sailed on Carnival Panorama in January of 2020 and I never would have dreamed I could actually dislike a cruise but there I was, counting the days until I could disembark. If you want waterslides, sky bikes, crew members directing every party by separating the "boys and girls" for choreography, dinner interrupted each night by extremely loud music and encouragement to stand up and dance while your food gets cold - then Carnival is it! 

We enjoy a more relaxed and elevated vibe if you will. We love the jazz music, trivia games, adult-only pool, elegant MDR, and if we are in the mood there is also dancing ranging from ballroom to line dancing to freestyle. That is Princess! And that is my opinion. 😉 

• Like 1

On 10/16/2023 at 5:30 PM, Rick&Jeannie said:

Princess *generally* appeals to an older, more mature clientele. You'll not find roller coasters or climbing walls on Princess!

This exactly why the wife (59)  & I (60) are trying Princess for the first time. I intentionally booked an early December cruise, kids likely to be in school, slower season, etc. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IndyKid said:

This exactly why the wife (59)  & I (60) are trying Princess for the first time. I intentionally booked an early December cruise, kids likely to be in school, slower season, etc. 

Same Indykid same, we cruise Princess for that reason as well...we like a mature crowd.   We love our grandkids but cruising is our couple time.  

10 hours ago, IndyKid said:

You'll probably sail with very few kids at all and those that do sail at that time will pretty much be to themselves most of the time.