Room service charge clarification

Bedruthen

The last I recall from discussion on here, was that you paid your $14.99 medallion room service charge and provided you used the app and not the phone, delivery would be free.
However we received an email from Princess which seems to say differently. 

Can anyone confirm definitively, if each delivery does indeed incur a $5 charge?

IMG_9667.jpeg

For those with the standard fare. $14.99 is a one time per voyage and covers Ocean Now orders via the smart device or the TV. If you call on the phone there is a $5 delivery fee each time. Breakfast hang tag orders remain no charge. From the FAQ's

"Guests may call for room service delivery or order through OceanNow® in the Princess® MedallionClass® app at any time of the day or night. Guests with the latest Princess Plus and Princess Premier packages enjoy OceanNow® and room service delivery with no charge. Otherwise, a one-time access fee of $14.99 USD per person per voyage will apply for OceanNow® delivery and a $5 USD room service fee will apply for each order placed by stateroom phone. To order, guests can press the "Room Service" button on their stateroom phone, or order through OceanNow®."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, skynight said:

For those with the standard fare. $14.99 is a one time per voyage and covers Ocean Now orders via the smart device or the TV. If you call on the phone there is a $5 delivery fee each time. Breakfast hang tag orders remain no charge. From the FAQ's

"Guests may call for room service delivery or order through OceanNow® in the Princess® MedallionClass® app at any time of the day or night. Guests with the latest Princess Plus and Princess Premier packages enjoy OceanNow® and room service delivery with no charge. Otherwise, a one-time access fee of $14.99 USD per person per voyage will apply for OceanNow® delivery and a $5 USD room service fee will apply for each order placed by stateroom phone. To order, guests can press the "Room Service" button on their stateroom phone, or order through OceanNow®."

That’s the bit that is missing from the email. It doesn’t differentiate on how room service is ordered, just states ' a $5 fees for ALL room service orders. 

25 minutes ago, cruzrbachoua said:

We just got off the grand 9/23..we paid the $14.99 and ordered tea and food to our room via the app no charge.  Only one of us paid for the app use and I was able to order us both teas and food and they brought it to our room.

Perfect and that’s how it is supposed to work. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Perfect and that’s how it is supposed to work. 

It is - and one person in the cabin gets charged for all alcoholic drinks delivered to the cabin - which really works for us 🤑 on the PLUS package

Edited by voljeep
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, dog said:

If you call for room service you will be charged $5 each time.  This is even if you paid the $14.99 to activate the app.  
There was a full page in my cabin explaining the fees.

Nothing in our cabin explaining the charges at all.  Luckily, we are aware of it.  Many guests, have expressed they did not know.

When they call RS, they do tell them, that ice or whatever you order will cost $5.

This is on the Sapphire. 

• Like 1

We have a short 5 night cruise coming up on the Majestic. Have no packages. Can we just pay $5 per delivery if we require room service or do we have to buy the Oceans Now access if we want to order using the app?  Until we get on board, we are not sure if we’ll even use room service. Thought we would just “pay as you go”.  If we only wanted to try it once or twice, paying $5 per delivery would be more cost effective but would we only be able to do phone orders?

So I have a question...we usually pre-order the water package (12 bottles) and 6 canned soda package.  The water is always delivered and in our cabin when we board.  We have to call room service to get the 6 cans of soda redeemed/delivered...so will we have to pay the $5.00 room service fee to have the pre-ordered/prepaid cans of soda delivered after we board.  I can only assume the reason they don't pre-deliver the soda cans is because they wait to find out which soda's you want, i.e.  6 cans of coke.  Although I don't know why the website can't just be set up to allow you to order the exact soda's you want and they too could be in the room when you arrive.  

10 minutes ago, cclvr said:

So I have a question...we usually pre-order the water package (12 bottles) and 6 canned soda package.  The water is always delivered and in our cabin when we board.  We have to call room service to get the 6 cans of soda redeemed/delivered...so will we have to pay the $5.00 room service fee to have the pre-ordered/prepaid cans of soda delivered after we board.  I can only assume the reason they don't pre-deliver the soda cans is because they wait to find out which soda's you want, i.e.  6 cans of coke.  Although I don't know why the website can't just be set up to allow you to order the exact soda's you want and they too could be in the room when you arrive.  

No you will not be charged.   We called in September onboard the Sky with no issues or additional charges.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In regards to the $14.99 charge. Do you pay this after your first order, or before the cruise through your T/A ? Also, this is a one time fee for the whole cruise, correct ? This fee of $14.99 only applies to ordering food through the tv or phone app, not by your stateroom phone ? 

12 minutes ago, pamps2801 said:

In regards to the $14.99 charge. Do you pay this after your first order, or before the cruise through your T/A ? Also, this is a one time fee for the whole cruise, correct ? This fee of $14.99 only applies to ordering food through the tv or phone app, not by your stateroom phone ? 

You do not pre pay the $14.99 Ocean Now activation fee thru your TA. Some couples report only having one ‘activate’ Ocean Now ordering as they are usually together.

Yes, it is a one time fee for the duration of your cruise and will display on the APP the first time you attempt an Ocean Now order and ask you to confirm the charge before completing the delivery order. Ocean now includes ordering more than just food.

If you use your stateroom phone to order anything that is considered ‘room service’, which would incur a $5 service fee with each order, unless you have Plus or Premier.

Your $14.99 Ocean Now activation does NOT waive the $5 fee for calling room service from your phone. If you have activated Ocean Now, you can use the APP to have something delivered to your location which of course CAN be your stateroom.

• Thanks 2

22 hours ago, lovedecruise said:

We have a short 5 night cruise coming up on the Majestic. Have no packages. Can we just pay $5 per delivery if we require room service or do we have to buy the Oceans Now access if we want to order using the app?  Until we get on board, we are not sure if we’ll even use room service. Thought we would just “pay as you go”.  If we only wanted to try it once or twice, paying $5 per delivery would be more cost effective but would we only be able to do phone orders?

The $15 charge is one time per cruise if you want to order using the "app."  The $5 per use is for ordering from the cabin's telephone.  I don't recall if ordering through the television is part of the $15 or if it also incurs a $5 per use charge.  

I almost never use room service or OceanNow delivery service, so this is not based on personal experience.  

38 minutes ago, Mike45LC said:

The $15 charge is one time per cruise if you want to order using the "app."  The $5 per use is for ordering from the cabin's telephone.  I don't recall if ordering through the television is part of the $15 or if it also incurs a $5 per use charge.  

I almost never use room service or OceanNow delivery service, so this is not based on personal experience.  

From other threads, ordering via TV was disabled in August with the changes to all the different dining options. Also, the room service menu was royally overhauled and a lot of items that were formerly available no longer are, and some had food charges added or raised.. for instance, pizza went from $3 to complimentary for months this year to now $8.50.

• Like 1

So it sounds like the Ocean Now menu and the Room Service menu are different. Does anyone have samples or can speak to why you'd want to use Room Service (i.e., something really cool that is only on that menu) if you've paid for Ocean Now?

• 6 months later...

We’re elite and in the past we would call Room Service to swap out the items in the mini bar?  Is there now a charge to do this?

TIA 

14 minutes ago, Lyndonn said:

We’re elite and in the past we would call Room Service to swap out the items in the mini bar?  Is there now a charge to do this?

TIA 

No

21 minutes ago, Josie201 said:

We have the Premier package.  Do we have to pay the $14.99 activation fee prior to usage?  

No. If you have a plus or premier package including drinks Wi-Fi and customer appreciation there is no fee and no fee for room service via the phone 

• Thanks 1

On 10/18/2023 at 8:17 AM, Bedruthen said:

The last I recall from discussion on here, was that you paid your $14.99 medallion room service charge and provided you used the app and not the phone, delivery would be free.
However we received an email from Princess which seems to say differently. 

Can anyone confirm definitively, if each delivery does indeed incur a $5 charge?

IMG_9667.jpeg

Funny how cruise lines, airlines, hotels, etc. use the term “nominal fee”, which is supposed to mean that it’s so small it’s a fee in name only, to gouge their customers.

11 minutes ago, Mark_K said:

Funny how cruise lines, airlines, hotels, etc. use the term “nominal fee”, which is supposed to mean that it’s so small it’s a fee in name only, to gouge their customers.

You mean like resort fees at hotels that have like 3 pieces of equipment in there gym ?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Lyndonn said:

TIA 

No fee to swap out the mini bar, because you have to call RS to do that.  Sometimes the cabin steward will do it, but that’s really a function of RS.