🐾 🐾  Sea Dog gets Wet, a "Soggy Adventure LIVE" 10-21-23

Sea Dog

38 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

I, personally, don’t want to eat at the buffet at night.  I want to sit at a table with a cloth, be handed a menu and be served my dinner…accompanied by a sommelier.  Fine for those who do.

LOL when did you last have a sommelier on Royal, experienced or otherwise?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

Food just not that great in the MDR to put up with those wait  times, just go to the Windjammer and be done with it I say. Some of the MDR mains are served in Windjammer anyway.

We don’t mind the food in MDR but we certainly won’t wait in line for 20-30 minutes, when we have a reservation. Initially on Adventure they didn’t even have the signage for the two podiums with lines one for reservations and one for walk-ups - something they managed to find when pointed out to them. It wasn’t like we were on one of their initial sailings. We have done MTD for almost as long as it has been available  ~15 years(?). 

We are not averse to going to the Windjammer, just prefer to go by choice rather than by default. We find specialty dining overrated but certainly did more of it last year than ever before. When it comes to limited choices, specialty restaurants score high, with the same menu every night. We even rescheduled our reservation there one night when it was obvious there was going to be a considerable wait. So it isn’t just MTD it is poor general administration.

I like choices. I am a relatively adventurous eater. MDR,  Windjammer, Specialty all serve a purpose but each needs to perform to the best of their ability within the confines of their individual parameters.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SteelCityCruiser10 said:

What did you think of the southern belle?  

I forget the name but there is another version made with vodka by a different name on one of the other menus.  

Loved it. Very good.

8 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Food just not that great in the MDR to put up with those wait  times, just go to the Windjammer and be done with it I say. Some of the MDR mains are served in Windjammer anyway.

Stop steering people to the Windjammer. These days it is crowded enough in there for dinner.😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 11

8 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Next up in the Schooner new cocktail menu.

Peanut Butter Tropic

IMG_2791.thumb.jpeg.9db37c777a6defff764dd4900031fb16.jpeg

IMG_2790.thumb.jpeg.48983f75c14ea66be43607eeab987dc5.jpeg

With screwball whiskey. I thought it would taste richer. It’s ok just not blown away.

Don't think I'd care for the taste of drinking peanut butter.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, helen haywood said:

This My Time Dining experience has me worried for Bella 2.  Are you saying there is only one line going into the MDR?  Not one for reservations and another for without?  We can’t all speak to the Host and get permission to bypass the line for a table…. (I certainly understand why you needed to…I’m just thinking this may be a deal breaker for us…)

On Serenade it was one queue for reservations and one queue without. We prebooked on the planner, usually around  7 to 7.30

Hardly any wait. Great servers and they said we could have the same table (for 4, but just us, so plenty of room to spread out ), and to just to go straight to our table each evening. There was hardly any queue that I noticed on any night 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, helen haywood said:

I, personally, don’t want to eat at the buffet at night.  I want to sit at a table with a cloth, be handed a menu and be served my dinner…accompanied by a sommelier.  Fine for those who do.

I agree, I was very disappointed with Windjammer the one time we had dinner there last cruise.

Unfortunately there isn’t a sommelier on RC now. But our asst. water on Serenade was absolutely fabulous and was very prompt in getting us drinks 

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Don't think I'd care for the taste of drinking peanut butter.

27 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I love peanut butter but that drink was not a hit with me.

Believe it or not, Screwball Peanut Butter Whiskey is the "official whiskey" of the Buffalo Bills.  For big games, we'd do group shots after TDs.  Not much of that lately. ☹️  While the shots themselves are kinda tasty (and low in alcohol), I don't think it would mix well with pineapple juice.  Yuck.  But I appreciate Greg that you sacrificed yourself and tried it for the rest of us.  🍹👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

A Sea Dog Editorial 

Title: Navigating Fair Seas: A Consideration of Royal Caribbean's Diamond Lounge Policy

IMG_2695.thumb.jpeg.e3056bca86c1aaca6b38476860681408.jpeg

Much as been discussed about the renaming of the Diamond Lounge to the Crown lounge. I can confirm after talking to the loyalty ambassador, that they do have a new sign but that it just has not been installed yet. While there has been much speculation on different threads at Cruise Critic about what the future holds, the loyalty ambassador would not confirm nor deny that Diamonds are being moved out in favor of Diamond Pius and Pinnacles during happy hour.

So I guess we will just have to see. But if it does happen this dog will be very unhappy and growl a lot. Why? It’s not about drink vouchers it’s about what was promised to us once we achieved status as Diamonds. I’m a firm believer in reward programs for loyal customers. We keep you in business and you throw this dog a bone or two.

For me it’s about the room. On Adventure even though the room may be a little small with all those who can take advantage of it, the Diamond Lounge is a beautiful space, intimate with spacious views of the ocean and comfortable chairs . It’s a great happy hour retreat to visit with friends and eat some delicious snacks, appetizers or hors d’ oeuvres if you prefer French. It’s a perfect pre dinner gathering spot. If you take that away from me I feel like you broke our agreement. I buy cruises and you reward me with loyalty perks. Vouchers used in all the bars was a great addition. Taking away appetizers and a space at a critical time is punishment for what being loyal?

I get it. Royal Caribbean has faced a challenge familiar to many successful enterprises: the unexpected consequence of overwhelming popularity. The Diamond Lounge, a cherished sanctuary for Diamond Members, once an oasis of camaraderie and relaxation during happy hour, has found itself in turbulent waters due to overcrowding concerns. In response, the cruise line might implement a policy excluding Diamond Members during this particularly reimagining the use of the Diamond Lounge?

I propose find a better space to accommodate everyone. On Adventure they could use one of the other spaces like the imperial lounge. If there is a will there is a way. That way Royal Caribbean ensures that their cruise ships continue to navigate the seas as paragons of luxury and hospitality, providing unforgettable voyages for years to come.

Please Royal do not take away this Sea Dog’s precious bones. I like something to chew on for happy hour.

Note from the editor: This is just my opinion and please don’t hijack this thread with endless discussion on the matter. There are other threads for that. Let’s focus on this “Live Review.” Thank you!

Sea Dog

• Like 29

8 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

LOL when did you last have a sommelier on Royal, experienced or otherwise?

Their sommeliers know two words: "Kendall-Jackson".

No matter what I asked for: "We have Kendall-Jackson." :What about Kendall-Jackson?"

Even the amenity in my room (I chose something else) was Kendall-Jackson.

• Haha 9

15 hours ago, Arzeena said:

I am very interested in your take on the Hilton Marina. Do you have any pictures of your room? Would you book again there or elsewhere?

I have looked at it so many times, but the reviews prevented me from clicking the book button. Hence I am asking.

Sorry Arzeena, no pictures. We were happy with our stay. The hotel is beautiful inside, has a great pool area, a rooftop restaurant and outdoor bar.  The room was very nice, bed was comfy and the bathroom was large and all very clean.  We were in the main building, 8th floor overlooking 17th St and the port. The only negative to this location was traffic noise while sitting out on the balcony but it didn’t carry into the room. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

IMG_2799.thumb.jpeg.b70b4ae1a4cf5a8d561d04dabac788aa.jpeg

Breakfast time. We started off by stopping by the Diamond/Crown lounge to get some hot espresso and bagel, cream cheese and lox  (not pictured) before heading down to the MDR for a full sit down breakfast. I like the leisurely pace. I had pancakes which were almost like silver dollar pancakes but slightly larger. Sorry forgot to take a picture. There were just two so I am glad I had my bagel first. 

IMG_2797.thumb.jpeg.3ce813e830e7404f047bfc166923f56f.jpeg

I also had a Omelette with ham, onion, mushroom and cheese which was served nice and hot with a mini hash brown ( seems like portion sizes are smaller across the board)

IMG_2798.thumb.jpeg.48c913e895eb05f0713a42db9d7ad001.jpeg

and a wonderful carrot muffin. Another Espresso which was  lukewarm. I don’t know why but espresso’s in the MDR are all lukewarm not hot.

now decisions must be made how to spend this second day at sea. I can foresee more relaxation.

Cheers!

• Like 15

20 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

If not already apparent, I sailed Royal a very long time ago.  My cruise line is Celebrity and they do have sommeliers.  At least right now they do…

Yes they used to have them a long time ago on Royal.

I have had them in Blu.

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

A Sea Dog Editorial 

Title: Navigating Fair Seas: A Consideration of Royal Caribbean's Diamond Lounge Policy

IMG_2695.thumb.jpeg.e3056bca86c1aaca6b38476860681408.jpeg

Much as been discussed about the renaming of the Diamond Lounge to the Crown lounge. I can confirm after talking to the loyalty ambassador, that they do have a new sign but that it just has not been installed yet. While there has been much speculation on different threads at Cruise Critic about what the future holds, the loyalty ambassador would not confirm nor deny that Diamonds are being moved out in favor of Diamond Pius and Pinnacles during happy hour.

So I guess we will just have to see. But if it does happen this dog will be very unhappy and growl a lot. Why? It’s not about drink vouchers it’s about what was promised to us once we achieved status as Diamonds. I’m a firm believer in reward programs for loyal customers. We keep you in business and you throw this dog a bone or two.

For me it’s about the room. On Adventure even though the room may be a little small with all those who can take advantage of it, the Diamond Lounge is a beautiful space, intimate with spacious views of the ocean and comfortable chairs . It’s a great happy hour retreat to visit with friends and eat some delicious snacks, appetizers or hors d’ oeuvres if you prefer French. It’s a perfect pre dinner gathering spot. If you take that away from me I feel like you broke our agreement. I buy cruises and you reward me with loyalty perks. Vouchers used in all the bars was a great addition. Taking away appetizers and a space at a critical time is punishment for what being loyal?

I get it. Royal Caribbean has faced a challenge familiar to many successful enterprises: the unexpected consequence of overwhelming popularity. The Diamond Lounge, a cherished sanctuary for Diamond Members, once an oasis of camaraderie and relaxation during happy hour, has found itself in turbulent waters due to overcrowding concerns. In response, the cruise line might implement a policy excluding Diamond Members during this particularly reimagining the use of the Diamond Lounge?

I propose find a better space to accommodate everyone. On Adventure they could use one of the other spaces like the imperial lounge. If there is a will there is a way. That way Royal Caribbean ensures that their cruise ships continue to navigate the seas as paragons of luxury and hospitality, providing unforgettable voyages for years to come.

Please Royal do not take away this Sea Dog’s precious bones. I like something to chew on for happy hour.

Note from the editor: This is just my opinion and please don’t hijack this thread with endless discussion on the matter. There are other threads for that. Let’s focus on this “Live Review.” Thank you!

Sea Dog

Very well thought out and well-reasoned. I’m not Diamond until next month, but it will be disappointing to not have access. I understood that there is a chorus of the heavenly host, and dancing unicorns serve drinks 😁. But seriously, it sounds nice to be in a place of like minded cruisers.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

This is great, it’s like I can ease off my vacation by following along with you this week.

I thought that Peanut Butter Tropic was kind of weird. But certainly appreciated Yulia. I also got to know the guy working Blue Moon up on 14, and the woman working Imperial Lounge in the evenings quite well.

I should have sent my kid back home to school and stayed on another week…

• Like 3
  • Haha 2