Is Royal really worth 50% more than their competitor?

22 hours ago, footballmp said:

My wife and I have an April 2024 ocean view balcony booked on Wonder of the Seas, 7night Western Caribbean w/Coco Cay out of Port Canaveral.   I have been thinking about switching to the Enchanted Princess ocean view balcony 7 night Western 1 wk later than Wonder but out of Port Everglades.  The ports are identical except Wonder has Coco Cay and Enchanted has Belize.  Enchanted is 55% less than Wonder.  I love the Oasis class ships and Coco Cay, but that is a huge difference!  Is Royal really worth that much more?

I will begin by saying we have Diamond status with RCI. Based on our most recent and, as a result,  definitely last RCI experience this past July on the Oasis, RCI is definitely not worth that much more!!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi 

Cannot really compare RCI with another cruise line since we have not tried a different one since 2012 and that may tell you a thing or two as we do check other cruise lines before booking RCI

However, there are plenty variables to come into play about the price.

Time of Year (Holiday season etc)

Type of Ship (New/Old)

Destination/ports

Length of cruise

Type of cabin

and...

C&A perks.

For me and my wife, we are both D+ and like a drink but are not in need of a package.

We prefer to book an interior towards the back that is close to the lifts but not too close.

We are not bothered about the Oasis class ships and are more than happy to let everyone else have their fun with them. The biggest ship we have done is the Anthem and that is not our favourite. That would be between the Indy and Navigator.

Because we travel from the UK we also have to factor in things like flights and hotels.

We used to do 2 cruises a year that were around 7 each but currently we are only looking at 1 cruise for 15 nights which works out considerably cheaper. It is a TA so flights only one way.

During this cruise we will be given 5 x $14 drinks a day each, which when added up comes to almost what the cruise cost. Then there are plenty others inc top tier event, the free bag of laundry, the free photo each and BOGOF chops lunch etc plus access to the newly renamed Crown Lounge for coffee and snacks (and drinks if we want to use a voucher there) and reserved seating for a the shows. Its all very nice!

As mentioned, we cannot really compare to other cruise lines, but we can compare to a land resort and RCI wins hands down. 

Now if we didn't have the perks then I would have to add another $1000.00 to the cost just for a couple of drinks each per day.

Therefore, because of the C&A program, we will keep coming back to RCI. 

That doesn't mean we are going to fork out $$$s for GS etc, but if the price is right then I would have another JS, but I won't hold my breath under the current conditions.

We try to avoid the holiday season as we just want to get on a ship and relax as much as possible.

Again, not too bothered about the amusements, me and my wife have both done the rock climbing wall and I-fly, but are now getting to the stage where golf is about all we can manage, and finding a ship with a golf course or a pool that you can walk down into is now more important than a slide or zip line, so let the families have those ships and it looks like that is what RCI is doing with them anyway,

Ports of call are nice, but again, we have done just about all of them. It is nice to revisit some, but others can be weather dependent and that is one thing not guaranteed. In fact ports of call are not guaranteed due to things like weather and RCI will use the 'we only have your best health and safety at heart' clause to cancel a port of call, so anyone booking an expensive cruise just for certain ports needs to be aware.

We normally would be off the ship after breakfast or when allowed and have a 3 to 4 hour walk/shop/slob on beach and then be back on the ship around 2pm for a quick lunch in the WJ before relaxing for a few hours ready for the evenings events.

We are also very happy to do TAs where there can be several sea days and these cruises tend to be the cheapest as there are less ports of call and therefore less port fees.

At the end of the day it is your cruise holiday and your choice as to what ship, what itinerary and what class of cabin you want. You can spend $10000 pppw or $700 for the same ship. You can also spend even more on food and spars. Its up to you.

But, if you are D and above and are not bothered about the class of ship, the ports of call or the class of cabin, then you can have a really nice and cheapish holiday compared to some land based holidays that are only half board or room only.

Mick.

Edited by Mick B

14 hours ago, George C said:

I don’t understand why everyone wants the brand new ships, I booked an older oasis class and grand suite was more than a less per person than wonder .

Personal preference. I’d happily sail older Oasis ships (going on Allure tomorrow actually) but I prefer to only sail from PC b/c it’s an hour drive, prefer 7N to short cruises, & loved Wonder so I have several Wonder cruises booked.

My 2 GS experiences were great but I would never spend the extra money for one at this point in my life b/c I have a great time sailing frugally. I understand why you book them though… personal preference.

Edited by OCSC Mike
  • Like 1

I just booked my first MSC cruise on the Meraviglia for March Break 2024.  I was hesitant at first because of their bad reviews.  But it is currently priced at approximately 70% less than what RCCL wants for the Anthem sailing the same week, so I figured if I were to go in with a very low expectation or 1/3 the expectation when I sail on Royal, in theory, I should not be disappointed. 

• Like 4

No.  Not worth 50% more.  I just have no need to go in the newest ships in any fleet, so bargain cruises on Royal can still be found and are our preference.

Royal is not a huge step up from Carnival.  It is a mass market cruise line.  I like Royal better than Carnival but we have had great cruises on both.

• Like 1

For us, it depends on which line is being compared, and which ships are included in the choices.  We typically don't see that kind of price range, because we don't usually book a ship when it first begins sailing.  Don't like paying premium prices for 'new'.  We also book either group rates, or in a suite with a great TA, who provides shipboard credit.  

3 hours ago, William W said:

I just booked my first MSC cruise on the Meraviglia for March Break 2024.  I was hesitant at first because of their bad reviews.  But it is currently priced at approximately 70% less than what RCCL wants for the Anthem sailing the same week, so I figured if I were to go in with a very low expectation or 1/3 the expectation when I sail on Royal, in theory, I should not be disappointed. 

For a 70% reduction in cost, I would be willing to do that as well.  We have friends who has sailed Royal and x multiple times and tried one of MSC due to the significant cost reduction.  They loved the cruise.  However, they are SUPER budget focused and willing to give up a lot for cost.  One of their main comments is "The bartenders were willing to do double pours in our alcoholic drinks".  They admit the food and entertainment is worse than Royal and X and the ship decor is definitely different.

Having said that, we haven't even come close to having a bad cruise on Royal, Celebrity, or NCL so if the price is that good...  worth a try!

Elite on Princess and Diamond Plus on Royal - we sail both lines a lot.  The newer Princess ships have a better layout in the buffet, so more variety.  Less options on activities on Princess.  Main dining is pretty similar.  Would we spend extra to go on either Wonder or Enchanted, no.  Pick ships that have been sailing a couple of years.  Royal is generally cheaper and has more to do.

One exception - Alaska.  Princess goes into Glacier Bay and Royal doesn't.  Both do Hubbard Glacier.  Recommend smaller ships than these two - Coral/Island Princess best but ships like Radiance of the Seas not bad.

Enchanted Princess is a great ship.  I haven't been on Wonder but have been on Harmony.  There were pluses to both, and the experience was similar in a lot of ways.

Enchanted won on: The entertainment, which was amazing - really high level production shows.  The "vibe" there were not a lot of kids onboard, which for us traveling as a couple, was really nice.  It was less party-like in general, which may be a negative for some.

Harmony won on: drinks, better wine, more "fun" cocktails.  The piano bar - way more lively crowd and more fun. Bartenders who got to know us and were fun.  

Both good but different, and depends on what you like to do - more places to dance nightly on Harmony than on Enchanted, but a reliable dance band in the piazza, and many couples dancing every night.

A factor that may tip your hand if you are willing to splurge:  Enchanted has 360, which we experienced for free as we were in a suite but is now becoming available to book at $149 pp.  This was hands-down the most amazing dining experience we've ever had on a ship and we would absolutely pay $300 to do it again.    

Sailed Enchanted last year twice , have also been on Regal and just did 24 nights on Sky.  We have not  been on Wonder but have been on all the other Oasis class ships. 

I love the Piazza on Princess, if the band is good I  get up dancing as do a lot of others . 

There isn't an  indoor/covered pool on Enchanted so if the weather is bad everyone is inside in the main body of the ship, can make finding seating difficult.  

We love the food on Princess , vary varied and no rice in sight ,  RCI seem to put rice with everything even when it isn't a curry or stir fry. 

The cabins on Enchanted are beautiful , we had a deluxe balcony BUT in all cabins upto balcony it is a shower curtain in the shower !!! Wr had a mini suite on Sky with a bath . Princess have the best beds at sea for comfort .

If I were travelling with children  I'd go for Wonder but if it is just a couple I'd go with Enchanted and splash the saved cash in the ports . 

On 10/24/2023 at 7:01 AM, William W said:

Did the same thing William. We are on the March 24 sailing. Not a big fan of anthem so it was an easy call. Now if it was an Oasis class or Odyssey, it would have been a more difficult decision to go with MSC. I have friends who sail MSC all the time and say its great. Nothing is perfect including Royal.  

On 10/23/2023 at 7:37 AM, orville99 said:

Wonder costs more because RCL knows they can extract that price from people who want all the new bells and whistles on a new ship. Put an older RCL ship (even an older Oasis class ship) on that same route and date, and the cost will be lower.

This whole discussion interested me so I compared the Caribbean Princess (2004) to Adventure (2001) for a balcony cabin. In March 2025 (same week) Princess was HALF the price of Adventure. If you up the Princess to their top package it was still considerably cheaper - $3,908 vs $5,987. This will really make me think before I book my next cruise. Royal already has moved me to try MSC's Yacht Club for an upcoming cruise. It was the same price as a Grand Suite on Odyssey and seems to offer much more.

On 10/22/2023 at 5:12 PM, footballmp said:

My wife and I have an April 2024 ocean view balcony booked on Wonder of the Seas, 7night Western Caribbean w/Coco Cay out of Port Canaveral.   I have been thinking about switching to the Enchanted Princess ocean view balcony 7 night Western 1 wk later than Wonder but out of Port Everglades.  The ports are identical except Wonder has Coco Cay and Enchanted has Belize.  Enchanted is 55% less than Wonder.  I love the Oasis class ships and Coco Cay, but that is a huge difference!  Is Royal really worth that much more?

Short Answer: No. 

Long Answer: Entertainment on Wonder will be a step up from Princess, but the rest of the experience will be a step up on Princess, assuming you were not planning on the dining package on Wonder. Especially since it is just you and your wife with no kids involved. You could probably step up to a mini-suite for $200 pp more than the balcony and/or the Premier package for less than just the balcony on Wonder, and most likely less kids on Princess. Be careful of the balcony type if you do book Princess though as the standard balcony on Princess does not have a couch or loveseat, just the desk chair. The Deluxe balconies are more comparable to the standard balconies on Royal, as they should have a loveseat. The pp cost of plus/premier should include grats and wifi (haven't looked at it since my princess Alaska this year...your mileage may vary) which is very reasonable for AI type package, often less than just the Beverage package on Royal. As nice as the voucher drinks are to have on Royal, I have also sailed HAL, Princess, and Celebrity since the restart. As a mini-suite (JS for Royal) and balcony cruiser, who mainly uses the MDR, I found all of these lines a step up from Royal other than the entertainment aspect, especially the Ice shows and Broadway style. 

On 10/22/2023 at 5:12 PM, footballmp said:

Oasis class ships have always been on the high side over the years and Wonder is no exception, especially considering it is RCI’s newest ship. The experience between RCI and Princess is pretty significant in my opinion, but that isn’t a bad thing. Princess ships are a lot more laid back, the passengers are much older on Princess ships, and there isn’t much of a night life on Princess ships. If you are looking for a more relaxing experience, instead of something is always going on day and night on Oasis class ships, Princess is a good choice. However, I personally prefer Celebrity over Princess, for what it’s worth. 

On 10/24/2023 at 9:04 AM, barbeyg said:

For us, it depends on which line is being compared, and which ships are included in the choices.  We typically don't see that kind of price range, because we don't usually book a ship when it first begins sailing.  Don't like paying premium prices for 'new'.  We also book either group rates, or in a suite with a great TA, who provides shipboard credit.  

I couldn’t agree with you more. I can’t believe how much people are paying to cruise on Icon. I booked two cruises on Icon as soon as bookings were available. The price for these cruises is now close to triple what I paid. I have no plans to book any more cruises on Icon until if/when the prices drop at some point in the future. I am more than happy to continue sailing on their other ship classes. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, mikefromny said:

This whole discussion interested me so I compared the Caribbean Princess (2004) to Adventure (2001) for a balcony cabin. In March 2025 (same week) Princess was HALF the price of Adventure. If you up the Princess to their top package it was still considerably cheaper - $3,908 vs $5,987. This will really make me think before I book my next cruise. Royal already has moved me to try MSC's Yacht Club for an upcoming cruise. It was the same price as a Grand Suite on Odyssey and seems to offer much more.

52 minutes ago, joeyancho said:

Princess is very nice.  The food offerings are better all around.  They try harder.  As a side note,  look into MSC.  Very good product.   Very nice ships.  

We used to sail on Princess and always enjoyed their ships. Looking forward to them finally bringing a ship into Port Canaveral so we can add them back to our options. Not really a fan of MSC unfortunately.

1 minute ago, orville99 said:

We used to sail on Princess and always enjoyed their ships. Looking forward to them finally bringing a ship into Port Canaveral so we can add them back to our options. Not really a fan of MSC unfortunately.

From what I hear on the boards and see on YouTube, I wouldn't be trying them if it weren't in YC. That cruise is not until 2025, so it will be a while before I can tell you if it was a good move or not.

1 minute ago, mikefromny said:

From what I hear on the boards and see on YouTube, I wouldn't be trying them if it weren't in YC. That cruise is not until 2025, so it will be a while before I can tell you if it was a good move or not.

That matches up with our experience as well.

18 hours ago, PACrew said:

Did the same thing William. We are on the March 24 sailing. Not a big fan of anthem so it was an easy call. Now if it was an Oasis class or Odyssey, it would have been a more difficult decision to go with MSC. I have friends who sail MSC all the time and say its great. Nothing is perfect including Royal.  

Interested to know what the big difference was for you between the Odyssey and the Anthem?  Not arguing just curious since they are so similar.