The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday October 27th, 2023

richwmn

Today is Black Cat Day, American Beer Day, and Navy Day

A vegetarian is a person who won't eat anything that can have children. - David Brenner

Meal Suggestion for today - Cauliflower Parmesan
Drink of the Day - Mango Hurricane
Wine of the Day - Oak Farm Vineyards Tievoli Red Blend
Destination of the Day - Callao-Lima, Peru

Today in History:
1795 Pinckney's Treaty [Treaty of San Lorenzo] signed by Spain and US, establishing the southern boundary of the US and giving Americans right to navigate the Mississippi River
1955 "Rebel Without a Cause", directed by Nicholas Ray, starring James Dean and Natalie Wood, is released

Ship Locations

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Fort Lauderdale, Florida eta 10-28

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination San Diego, California eta 10-28

Nieuw Amsterdam

Half Moon Cay, 0800-1400

Nieuw Statendam

Salerno, Italy 0700-1700

Noordam

At Sea Destination Rarotonga, Cook Islands eta 10-28

Oosterdam

Naples, Italy 0800-2000

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Cartagena, Colombia eta 10-28

Zaandam

San Antonio, Chile 0800-1700

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Limassol, Cyprus eta 10-28

Eastern Hemisphere

Volendam

At Sea Destination Nukualofa, Tonga eta 10-30

Westerdam

Yokohama, Japan 0630-1700

1927World.thumb.png.786d91e5d6eaa00523dba89b97f58ea7.png

• Like 22
  • Thanks 18

Today’s Care List:

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-surgery, on ventilator, CPAP trials

Cruising sister’s DB needing toe amputation

RMLincoln’s cousin passing

Lazey1 testing positive for Covid

Smitty34877’s Tana with pneumonia

Mass shooting victims in Lewiston, ME

Recovery from Wildfires in Maui, Canadian/US wildfires

Acapulco deaths and destruction due to Hurricane Otis

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Cruzin Terri’s DH having issues

NextOne post valve replacement surgery, recovering at home

HAL Sailer’s DH recovering after hospitalization

JazzyV with right leg pain, tingling and numbness

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

BON VOYAGE Norseh2o (Kathy and Bob)!

Happy 67th Birthday grapau27 (Graham)!

Seagarsmoker traveling to FLL – safe travels

Mr. Boston visiting ME for hiking and fall color

StLouisCruiser’s friend Susan’s DH Scott moved to rehab

CrabbyPatti’s DFIL discharged to rehab

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

1 day for Seagarsmoker (Eurodam Oct 28 to Nov 8, Southern Caribbean Wayfarer)

2 days for Haljo1935 (Nieuw Statendam Oct 29 to Nov 9, Adriatic Dream, celebrating 33rd anniversary onboard)

5 days for Kochlöffel (Oosterdam Nov 1 to Nov 15) 14d Spanish Farewell

5 days for Vict0riann (Oosterdam Nov 1 to Nov 15) 14d Spanish Farewell with a few days in Barcelona before

Live4cruises (Westerdam to Oct 28, N.Pacific crossing & Japan Collector), Horizon Chaser 1957 (Eurodam to Oct 28, Panama Canal), Lady Hudson (Liberty of the Seas to Oct 28, Canada & NE), Smmesineo (Celebrity Equinox to Oct 28, Bimini, Grand Cayman & Mexico), Norseh2o (Oceania Nautica to Nov 6, Adriatic & Italian Tableau), Aliaschief (Seabourn Quest to Nov 7, Montreal to Miami), Marshhawk (Carnival Pride to Nov 12, Rome to Rome +TA), Sailingdutchy (Oosterdam Oct 20 to Nov 15, Ancient Empires & Spanish Farewell) and Lindaler (Volendam to Nov 22, Tales of the South Pacific)

• Like 20
  • Thanks 17

7 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Today’s Care List:

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-surgery, on ventilator, CPAP trials

Cruising sister’s DB needing toe amputation

RMLincoln’s cousin passing

Lazey1 testing positive for Covid

Smitty34877’s Tana with pneumonia

Mass shooting victims in Lewiston, ME

Recovery from Wildfires in Maui, Canadian/US wildfires

Acapulco deaths and destruction due to Hurricane Otis

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Cruzin Terri’s DH having issues

NextOne post valve replacement surgery, recovering at home

HAL Sailer’s DH recovering after hospitalization

JazzyV with right leg pain, tingling and numbness

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

BON VOYAGE Norseh2o (Kathy and Bob)!

Happy 67th Birthday grapau27 (Graham)!

Seagarsmoker traveling to FLL – safe travels

Mr. Boston visiting ME for hiking and fall color

StLouisCruiser’s friend Susan’s DH Scott moved to rehab

CrabbyPatti’s DFIL discharged to rehab

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

1 day for Seagarsmoker (Eurodam Oct 28 to Nov 8, Southern Caribbean Wayfarer)

2 days for Haljo1935 (Nieuw Statendam Oct 29 to Nov 9, Adriatic Dream, celebrating 33rd anniversary onboard)

5 days for Kochlöffel (Oosterdam Nov 1 to Nov 15) 14d Spanish Farewell

5 days for Vict0riann (Oosterdam Nov 1 to Nov 15) 14d Spanish Farewell with a few days in Barcelona before

Live4cruises (Westerdam to Oct 28, N.Pacific crossing & Japan Collector), Horizon Chaser 1957 (Eurodam to Oct 28, Panama Canal), Lady Hudson (Liberty of the Seas to Oct 28, Canada & NE), Smmesineo (Celebrity Equinox to Oct 28, Bimini, Grand Cayman & Mexico), Norseh2o (Oceania Nautica to Nov 6, Adriatic & Italian Tableau), Aliaschief (Seabourn Quest to Nov 7, Montreal to Miami), Marshhawk (Carnival Pride to Nov 12, Rome to Rome +TA), Sailingdutchy (Oosterdam Oct 20 to Nov 15, Ancient Empires & Spanish Farewell) and Lindaler (Volendam to Nov 22, Tales of the South Pacific)

Thank you for remembering my birthday Vanessa.

Graham 

• Like 22

Good morning.

It is 13°C and sunny here now.

We had several Black cats when I lived with my late mam and dad.

Interesting quote.

I will give today's food and drink a miss.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone who is unwell.

I hope everyone is safe and well.

Screenshot_20231027_113841.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 6

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.  Happy Friday!

This will be the last of the warmish weather for us.  This afternoon we should get to a cloudy 19°C (66°F).  Bertie and I will walk down to the post office and get the mail later, not sure what else is on the agenda.

I don't have a black cat, I'm not a fan of beer but I appreciate and support the Navy.

Interesting and amusing quote.  My niece is a vegetarian, my brother says she won't eat anything with a face.

The meal sounds good, so does the drink. I hope the wine is tasty.

I've never been to today's port.

Prayers for our world.

Stay safe.

• Like 28

Good morning! Let’s start off the day by wishing @grapau27 Graham Happy Birthday! 
We moved our clocks forward one hour and it’s still dark out as we start a sea day on our way to Halifax. They had a nice reception last night for all first time cruisers on Seabourn and then we went to dining room where we did enjoy our lobster dinner. Dinner was followed by going to Grand Salon and watching a magician. He did some amazing card tricks but I have to admit I was struggling to stay awake.

So it’s coffee time which means I need to get up and moving. I’m getting low on Me Me’s so will take a break for awhile and enjoy what others will post.

Have a great TGIF and weekend. Thanks for the reports. Bruce

• Like 31
  • Thanks 3

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Ann, Dixie, and Debbie for the TGIF report.  Happy birthday @grapau27.  My DD DB spent several years in the Navy and I visited his submarine several times.  I'll pass on the beer.  I know we have a lot of cat people on the Fleet Report and Daily and I expect a number of them are black. 

Interesting quote by Brenner, and I'll certainly celebrate Pinckney's treaty.  I don't think I've seen Rebel Without a Cause.

I have been to Callao/Lima several times and it's an interesting place. 

I'll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Chilled Mango Gazpacho, Chateaubriand, and Carrot Cake as served on MS Amsterdam October 27, 2017.

dishes27.jpg

Roy

• Like 32
  • Thanks 2

Good morning friends!  We woke up to a clear morning with a temp of 55.  High will be 78 and nice sunny skies today.  Thank you Rich @richwmn for the Daily and Fleet Report.

First and foremost, a very happy 67th birthday to our friend Graham @grapau27.  We hope you have many more.  How will you be celebrating today? 

Nice days to celebrate today.  Black cats get a bad rap being bad luck but I think they are some of the most beautiful cats I've seen.  American beer day is a good one too.  A salute to our Navy on their special day.  The quote is an interesting way of looking at vegetarianism.  The cauliflower parmesan might be acceptable to vegetarians.  I would pass on the mango hurricane and the red wine.  Good days in history. Thank you Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for the great work reporting on food and beverages here.

Prayers for all here on the Daily who are sick or in pain.  Prayers for those at war and the hostages involved, plus those who died and their families in Lewiston, Maine.  Also my DB, Scott and Mark, and friends Bob and Sandy.  Glad to hear Sam is home now Carol @mamaofami.  Cheers to those cruising, preparing to cruise and celebrating happy events.  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for your excellent list keeping!  Prayers for you each day!  I enjoyed the photos yesterday of Oban @Mtn2Sea.

DS is traveling to Los Angeles for Parent's weekend at UCLA, as is his DW.  Last weekend it was Columbus, Ohio and the weekend before Frisco, Texas.  Next weekend will be Minnesota for another away soccer game for Ren and teammates.  I told him he must have a lot of American Airlines miles already and he said yes!  He is using some to plan a trip to Spain during Spring break for his DW and himself.  Sounds good to me!  He used to travel exclusively on Delta but Dallas is a hub for American so he switched.  He said the miles go further on AA when using them for special trips like Madrid next year.  

The Daily port is Callao, Lima, Peru.  It was our port on Dec. 2, 2022 which happened to be during my Amazon river cruise.  However I've been to the port twice and will have some photos to share with you this time.  Here's the link to that posting.

Oosterdam is in Naples and our friend Annie @marshhawk is there also on Carnival Pride.  I'm sure she and Chuck are having a fantastic cruise.  I hope each and every one of you have a wonderful day!

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  We woke up to a clear morning with a temp of 55. High will be 78 and nice sunny skies today.  Thank you Rich @richwmn for the Daily and Fleet Report.

First and foremost, a very happy 67th birthday to our friend Graham @grapau27.  We hope you have many more.  How will you be celebrating today? 

Nice days to celebrate today.  Black cats get a bad rap being bad luck but I think they are some of the most beautiful cats I've seen.  American beer day is a good one too.  A salute to our Navy on their special day.  The quote is an interesting way of looking at vegetarianism.  The cauliflower parmesan might be acceptable to vegetarians.  I would pass on the mango hurricane and the red wine.  Good days in history. Thank you Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for the great work reporting on food and beverages here.

Prayers for all here on the Daily who are sick or in pain.  Prayers for those at war and the hostages involved, plus those who died and their families in Lewiston, Maine.  Also my DB, Scott and Mark, and friends Bob and Sandy.  Glad to hear Sam is home now Carol @mamaofami.  Cheers to those cruising, preparing to cruise and celebrating happy events.  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for your excellent list keeping!  Prayers for you each day!  I enjoyed the photos yesterday of Oban @Mtn2Sea.

DS is traveling to Los Angeles for Parent's weekend at UCLA, as is his DW.  Last weekend it was Columbus, Ohio and the weekend before Frisco, Texas.  Next weekend will be Minnesota for another away soccer game for Ren and teammates.  I told him he must have a lot of American Airlines miles already and he said yes!  He is using some to plan a trip to Spain during Spring break for his DW and himself.  Sounds good to me!  He used to travel exclusively on Delta but Dallas is a hub for American so he switched.  He said the miles go further on AA when using them for special trips like Madrid next year.  

The Daily port is Callao, Lima, Peru.  It was our port on Dec. 2, 2022 which happened to be during my Amazon river cruise.  However I've been to the port twice and will have some photos to share with you this time.  Here's the link to that posting.

Oosterdam is in Naples and our friend Annie @marshhawk is there also on Carnival Pride.  I'm sure she and Chuck are having a fantastic cruise.  I hope each and every one of you have a wonderful day!

Thank you so much for your lovely birthday greeting Sandi.

Pauline, Sarah and I will be going out for a meal.

• Like 20

7 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Good morning! Let’s start off the day by wishing @grapau27 Graham Happy Birthday! 
We moved our clocks forward one hour and it’s still dark out as we start a sea day on our way to Halifax. They had a nice reception last night for all first time cruisers on Seabourn and then we went to dining room where we did enjoy our lobster dinner. Dinner was followed by going to Grand Salon and watching a magician. He did some amazing card tricks but I have to admit I was struggling to stay awake.

So it’s coffee time which means I need to get up and moving. I’m getting low on Me Me’s so will take a break for awhile and enjoy what others will post.

Have a great TGIF and weekend. Thanks for the reports. Bruce

Thank you.

Our clocks in the UK go back 1 hour on Sunday morning at 02.00am.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning,  thanks for today's daily fleet report.  The warm weather continues for another day,  it's nice not needing to have the heat running.  I'm not sure about today's meal suggestion and will see what @dfish shares with us.  I have no idea what's on today's menu.

I hope everyone has a good day today. 

I'll celebrate black cat day and give Mona some extra treats.

20230731_183204.thumb.jpg.d0b3370c8c30136fb5a809688352bb62.jpg

• Like 34

When Callao (Lima), Peru was last port of the day I was aboard Volendam cruising the Amazon River so didn’t post photos.  So I’ll go back to our two South America cruises in 2012 and 2015 that visited that port.  The first trip was on Star Princess on March 7, 2012.  According to my photo book the ship was delayed for several hours that day due to fog, so they allowed the ship to stay longer in port by the same number of hours.

From my photos it appears we boarded a bus at the port and took a tour of Lima highlights. We saw this guy in the city but I hope he has a seat for that bicycle somewhere! 

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

Next photo is of one of the many large, ornate buildings seen that day, the Archbishop’s Palace.

The Government Building, home of the President of Peru, located on the edge of the Plaza de Armas.

The yellow building is the Municipal Palace of Lima

The Cathedral of Lima.  All these buildings line the massive Plaza de Armas.

After driving around and around the city, we next went to the Parque del Amor in Miraflores.  There is a famous statue there called The Kiss or "El Beso".

There were plenty of people in the waves of the water below the Parque del Amor.  And though I didn’t take a photo I remember people paragliding from the cliff to the water below.

Three years and 2 days later on March 9, 2015 the Ruby Princess arrived in Callao.  This time DH was recovering from an allergic reaction to something he ate, no doubt a wild mushroom.  It had happened before.  So in the afternoon I took a Princess shuttle bus to a local mall.  I stuck around about an hour and went back.  Not very exciting.  Here’s a few pictures I took along the way.  I took no photos inside the mall, which was modern and big.

I would not be happy to be a driver with these vehicles right on my bumper!

This may be the actual mall – Real Plaza Salaverry

You definitely should find something to do outside of Callao when there unless malls are your thing.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 7

Mango Hurricane cocktail:

Ingredients
1 part Cruzan® Mango Rum
1 part Cruzan® Aged Dark Rum
Orange Juice
1 splash Grenadine
Orange Wedges
Cherries

Instructions
Combine ingredients with ice in a hurricane glass. Add a splash of grenadine. Garnish with orange wedge and a cherry.

Screenshot 2023-10-27 at 7.06.49 AM.png

• Like 11
  • Thanks 18

18 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

When Callao (Lima), Peru was last port of the day I was aboard Volendam cruising the Amazon River so didn’t post photos.  So I’ll go back to our two South America cruises in 2012 and 2015 that visited that port.  The first trip was on Star Princess on March 7, 2012.  According to my photo book the ship was delayed for several hours that day due to fog, so they allowed the ship to stay longer in port by the same number of hours.

From my photos it appears we boarded a bus at the port and took a tour of Lima highlights. We saw this guy in the city but I hope he has a seat for that bicycle somewhere! 

Next photo is of one of the many large, ornate buildings seen that day, the Archbishop’s Palace.

The Government Building, home of the President of Peru, located on the edge of the Plaza de Armas.

The yellow building is the Municipal Palace of Lima

The Cathedral of Lima.  All these buildings line the massive Plaza de Armas.

After driving around and around the city, we next went to the Parque del Amor in Miraflores.  There is a famous statue there called The Kiss or "El Beso".

There were plenty of people in the waves of the water below the Parque del Amor.  And though I didn’t take a photo I remember people paragliding from the cliff to the water below.

Three years and 2 days later on March 9, 2015 the Ruby Princess arrived in Callao.  This time DH was recovering from an allergic reaction to something he ate, no doubt a wild mushroom.  It had happened before.  So in the afternoon I took a Princess shuttle bus to a local mall.  I stuck around about an hour and went back.  Not very exciting.  Here’s a few pictures I took along the way.  I took no photos inside the mall, which was modern and big.

I would not be happy to be a driver with these vehicles right on my bumper!

This may be the actual mall – Real Plaza Salaverry

You definitely should find something to do outside of Callao when there unless malls are your thing.

Thank you for your informative photos Sandi.

Nice photo of yourself and Dennis too.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1