Food & Beverage Update from the President

AnnaNicole

10 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Now I wonder if they changed it.  I first saw the rule here on CC then experienced it firsthand in August on the Summit.  I'm also guessing there are times when the attendants forget and other times the attendants want to be nice and leave them in every room they're responsible for

Whatever the reason, just glad we had chocolates each evening. 

• Like 1

Just had a flashback of the last time there was a new entree addition, it was...<drum roll please> the double cheeseburger!  It was a double whammy of bad because, first, a burger doesn't belong on a premium cruise line MDR dinner menu (except for the impossible burger) dinner menu at all.  Second, they just recycled an existing offering, nothing new or inspiring.  Now is their chance to shine by creating new signature dishes.  We already have turkey parmesan entree, we don't want a turkey Alfredo entree

• Like 3

1 hour ago, horseymike said:

That was one of the perks that used to be included when cruising on the major cruise lines especially Celebrity. If you are content with franks and beans and p b j ‘s the cruise lines will be delighted to accommodate you. 

I got a banana split in Luminae last time.  🙂

4 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Short of the F&B, we're going back in time to 2022!  They're reversing the 2023 cutbacks including bringing back the dedicated everyday classics 

And making it seem like an upgrade without acknowledging that they made a major mistake by reducing the choices.  But weren't the everyday classics still there, just listed under the daily menu to disguise the reduction in those choices?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, paulh84 said:

Like I said, if you’re wanting great wines, you know to skip the glass and buy the bottles. You’re not getting $50+ bottles offered by the glass.

Could you ask Celebrity to stop selling drink packages?

31 minutes ago, Live2Cruise4ever said:

Mostly cruising HAL now and the food is great, even the buffet. I know all the lines had problems with the pandemic and we will stay with Holland America Line. 

Have not been on HAL for almost two years, but the last time we sailed the choices had been reduced and appetizers started repeating after three days. Has it improved? We're doing a Virgni cruise in February, and MSC Yacht Club in March (but an inside cabin, for a price comparable to a Celebrity balcony) and the food on both is supposed to be excellent (especially Virgin).

8 minutes ago, MisterBill99 said:

And making it seem like an upgrade without acknowledging that they made a major mistake by reducing the choices.  But weren't the everyday classics still there, just listed under the daily menu to disguise the reduction in those choices?

2022 menu = 10 total entree choices. 7 rotational and 3 every night classics

2023 menu = 7 total entree choice, 1 item was often a previous classic

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

2022 menu = 10 total entree choices. 7 rotational and 3 every night classics

2023 menu = 7 total entree choice, 1 item was often a previous classic

When I looked, it seemed like the 2023 menu was 4 the same every night and 3 unique.  But I guess that I could be wrong. Either way, the new "upgrade" is merely fixing the self-inflicted wound.

52 minutes ago, goofysmom99 said:

Unfortunately, I disembark after 16 nights on the day before Thanksgiving.  It took me a long time to reach zenith and I never thought I'd leave Celebrity.  But food is one of the primary reasons I cruise.  I have to cook gluten free every single day at home and look to cruising as my happy place where someone else does the cooking with all the restrictions GF entails.  What X did to the MDR this past year is unforgiveable, especially with so much cheap, cheap, cheap pasta. It took playing undercover boss to discover the menus stink?  Really?  What insight, a true lightbulb moment.  What in the world were they thinking to even try these boneheaded management moves in the first place?  Celebrity has lost my trust completely and this horse has bolted (cruises booked with other lines for 2024/5).  At least all my future X bookings were made while on board so will lose only $100 each.  Well, I'm for sure taking two short ones on Summit but after those, at least for now, my plan is to just let the the 2024/5 bookings fade away at final payment.  Certainly not giving X the courtesy of advance notice, much the same way they notified me in advance of their cuts. 

I sincerely hope the MDR food improves. I'll wait for reviews to come in before I pay money to find out for myself.

Completely understandable and justified response. While the news in this video is encouraging, they (celebrity) should expect that some damage done is irreparable for some of the most loyal (Zenith) customers. 

29 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Could you ask Celebrity to stop selling drink packages?

The drink packages include your mixed drinks, beer, liquor, Irish Coffee, etc. Honestly, I'd have to see their books to know if wine is even a major part of that. Look at the martini bar on any given evening and compare it to Cellar Masters (on ships that still have one). That's probably your answer right there.

Should they stop calling it "premium"? Depends on who's premium. Not yours, clearly, and not really mine. but there have always been alternate reds on the list that were very good (I'll see in 10 days). Cabs, not so much. Probably ever.

• Like 1

We get on Equinox on the 11th. We're in the Retreat, so we'll see. We're doing 10 days, and the menu has something interesting (to me at least) every night at this time. Given that they were on the Equinox, there's a reasonable probability they'll move mountains to make changes there as soon as possible...

• Like 1

They've made so many strategic errors, it will take a while to undo the damage without ever admitting it.  

The quality of the food has to be addressed.  A mea culpa would go a long way, but it takes a company with backbone to do it.  So far, I haven't seen any scattered bones. 

Somewhere in Miami, there is a person yelling at the top of their lungs at everyone down the "C" suite hall.  Let's find that person and call out an atta boy. 

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, markeb said:

We get on Equinox on the 11th. We're in the Retreat, so we'll see. We're doing 10 days, and the menu has something interesting (to me at least) every night at this time. Given that they were on the Equinox, there's a reasonable probability they'll move mountains to make changes there as soon as possible...

Sorry, but what are you going to see if you're hidden away in The Retreat?  Were the menu choices ever reduced there? If I am mistaken, I will be happy to admit that I'm wrong.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, DoubleEntry said:

Somewhere in Miami, there is a person yelling at the top of their lungs at everyone down the "C" suite hall.  Let's find that person and call out an atta boy. 

What do you suppose happened when Virgin sent out the email a few weeks ago referencing cutbacks on other cruise lines that everyone knew was referring to Celebrity?

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, MisterBill99 said:

Sorry, but what are you going to see if you're hidden away in The Retreat?  Were the menu choices ever reduced there? If I am mistaken, I will be happy to admit that I'm wrong.

Sorry. That was my apparently poorly worded point. I don't know that I'll see the difference in the MDR if I'm eating in Luminae.

5 minutes ago, markeb said:

Sorry. That was my apparently poorly worded point. I don't know that I'll see the difference in the MDR if I'm eating in Luminae.

Were there problems in Luminae? You seem to be thinking that they're upgrading the food in the MDR, when in reality all they are doing is rolling back their poorly thought-out reductions which they discovered they could not get away with.

Edited by MisterBill99

1 hour ago, markeb said:

The drink packages include your mixed drinks, beer, liquor, Irish Coffee, etc. Honestly, I'd have to see their books to know if wine is even a major part of that. Look at the martini bar on any given evening and compare it to Cellar Masters (on ships that still have one). That's probably your answer right there.

That is really not a fair comparison.  I don't see nearly as many mixed drinks as I do wine for dinner.

And the martini bar was the only place that I could find a champagne on the premium package.

Edited by NMTraveller

3 hours ago, hcat said:

Frankly, did they really  need to take a group cruise & play undercover boss; &  then solicit comments for a webinar;  to learn that folks are not happy??? 

Wonder how much this dog and pony show cost to engineer?

They could read cruise critic, other travel  sites,   f  book and  read online reviews, speak to travel agents  and watch video u tube reviews etc..?  That tells the  story!

The giggly video was fairly vapid and did not promise food QUALITY would get better...or that other cuts would be reversed .

They  should look at the  posted pics of the ham at the buffet that looked worse than dog food!..Hope we do not see anything like that on ASCENT!

My thoughts exactly. These two women are, at least by title, top management at Celebrity. I would have expected something a little more professional. They could have delivered all this without the giggling and “oh I am still recovering from this cruise.” Do I really care that they worked from 8 AM to 2 AM? Nope. I care that the food selection, the food quality, and the wine by the glass choices improve. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

The only issue we have with booking a Celebrity cruise anytime in the future is their 20% penalty for booking a cruise with a refundable deposit. The food is fine, the entertainment is fine, the cabins are fine. It’s just that stupid 20% penalty that is so annoying, especially when we book our itineraries usually two years in advance!

• Like 2

Where can I see this? I have written three emails to the executive staff after the horrible food selection on our recent sailing. I have always chosen celebrity because the food was good…this time they dropped the selections to seven with three being pasta or vegetarian, I won’t sail with them again until menu gets back to what it was!

• Like 1

Agree with posters that the video is not professional or hospitality driven.  The only vibe it gives off is caddy and inexperience.  The presenters don't speak with authority or knowledge about the product (they admit the opposite), and continue to act like the product is something they don't have control over or want to take responsibility for.  There's also a reference to crew vs passenger events that seems juvenile.  Do we trust this team with our vacation?  They are not instilling confidence. 

Nothing about the announcement shows a desire to do little or big things that are meant to meet the needs of customers or wow them.  Instead the conversation is about restoring basic items most mid tier restaurants stock in some form.  Nothing about quality, adding grab and go options for other day parts, room service improvements, innovation, or anything PR worthy.  Something chocolate every evening in the menu is Restaurant 101.   Pathetic. 

Edited by Cap_D
  • Like 9

30 minutes ago, Kbwhat53 said:

Where can I see this? I have written three emails to the executive staff after the horrible food selection on our recent sailing. I have always chosen celebrity because the food was good…this time they dropped the selections to seven with three being pasta or vegetarian, I won’t sail with them again until menu gets back to what it was!

The video is in the first post. And they sent it in an email on Wednesday.

13 minutes ago, Cap_D said:

Nothing about the announcement shows a desire to do little or big things that are meant to meet the needs of customers or wow them.  Instead the conversation is about restoring basic items most mid tier restaurants stock in some form.  Nothing about quality, adding grab and go options for other day parts, room service improvements, innovation, or anything PR worthy.  Something chocolate every evening in the menu is Restaurant 101.   Pathetic. 

What bothers me is that this is presented as some sort of upgrade. It isn't, unless you consider putting things back the way they were before they broke them an upgrade. It reminds me of the "New Coke" debacle of decades ago. Make a chance and screw things up, then take credit for putting them back the way they used to be.

Edited by MisterBill99
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Live2Cruise4ever said:

We cruised on CC starting in 1996. It was fantastic. Food was awesome!!  I loved the cold fruit soups! Loved Horizon and Zenith. Mercury we had President's suite and sky suites. Galaxy and Century.  Then Royal Caribbean bought them.  Immediately started seeing little things going away. We were very sad to see this happen. Mostly cruising HAL now and the food is great, even the buffet. I know all the lines had problems with the pandemic and we will stay with Holland America Line. 

Hello, you see how food is so subjective to someone’s taste as we’ve been cruising lately with X and HAL and must say that after about the 3rd day on a HAL ship the buffet starts repeating itself and gets boring. I think we’re HAL had improved the most is I’m it’s nightly entertainment offering if you like music. The Music walk has a bit for all ages and most of all the quality of the entertainers are very good. 
Sea Ya 

• Like 1