Food & Beverage Update from the President

AnnaNicole

4 hours ago, MisterBill99 said:

What do you suppose happened when Virgin sent out the email a few weeks ago referencing cutbacks on other cruise lines that everyone knew was referring to Celebrity?

That was a direct shot across the bow and should have made X execs sit up. 

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, wineoclock said:

That was a direct shot across the bow and should have made X execs sit up. 

And if you read the Celebrity social media groups, there are MANY current (and loyal, Elite and up) Celebrity customers who are booking VV cruises to give them a look, and it's primarily because of the food (not the tattoo parlor or drag brunch). I'm one of them. My wife was apprehensive at first, but now she reads me posts that she's seeing daily from people doing the same.

• Like 5

And also you have someone like myself, who for less than a SS, book a Regent cruise on one of their new ships. It’s not with a butler (but didn’t have that on my last cruise anyway), but concierge so hotel stay & flights included as well as excursions which would cost me more on Celebrity. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I, too, thought the announcement was unprofessional and really cringeworthy to watch. I got distracted by the overuse of the word “excited” and they took a long time to say very little. Are these two just giggling school girls in a TikTok clip? Maybe they could look into putting back the filet steak on the kids menu in that case.
I hope there is actually a concerted effort involved to improve the menu by culinary professionals.

• Like 8

I do think food quality ( as well as variety) does need to be addressed.  My husband always had the rack of lamb on formal night and loved it.  On our Eclipse cruise this past May, it was replaced with some type of sliced lamb and totally inedible, full of fat and grizzle.  Our waiter replaced it but the same.  We have been very loyal Celebrity cruisers for over 20 years and I always told people to take a cruise with Celebrity as the food was exceptional. Now I would be embarrassed.  Hopefully quality as well as varsity improves.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

There was the opportunity to comment at the end of the Webinar.

I did that, saying being served cake instead of vegetables was unacceptable, even though we were told it was Sweetcorn cake.

Extra carbohydrates is not a balanced diet. And this happened x2.

I hope they read the comments.

Also I was served chickpeas with my fish.

I thought they were based beans.

IMG_2023.thumb.jpeg.d150b663078d217e9f408c13842f8749.jpeg

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, 2023 said:

I, too, thought the announcement was unprofessional and really cringeworthy to watch. I got distracted by the overuse of the word “excited” and they took a long time to say very little. Are these two just giggling school girls in a TikTok clip? Maybe they could look into putting back the filet steak on the kids menu in that case.
I hope there is actually a concerted effort involved to improve the menu by culinary professionals.

I see it in a different view, yes it was very informal but hospitality executives who run a travel business that caters mainly to vacations, do you really want them to be all formal and professional in the approach. There would be much more disconnect to the customer that way.  I have seen the very formal approach it in the many places I worked/ran/consulted with in the hospitality industry and those places had a complete disconnect with their customer base especially if it was a resort type property.  It is still a wait and see approach on this, and what cutbacks that were done reversed.  I got the information I needed very easily and will see what happens when I sail Nov 20th, hopefully reverses will be on that cruise.  

• Like 12

13 hours ago, bikerunner said:

So 2 things stood out for me Great they are reversing but mainly also the complete disconnect that exists from corporate to ship and customers.  Maybe this was a wake up call who knows i sail on Nov 20-Dec 4 on the silhouette hoping the changes are in affect.  In general they tried to get away with the food changes but did not win.  Will see what happens they had a lot of disconnect over the past year with these changes and if the food goes back that’s a big plus 

Checked MENU on X app for the Silhouette 11/20 cruise and there have been changes ...chocolate dessert seems to be important and it's there each night in some form.  The 'standards' seem to be separate from the mains...one night no entree menu (yet) so probably 'coming soon'...😉.  Prime Rib first night and there is Lobster on the menu one of the nights.  But anything could change in the next two weeks so maybe I'll be offered something other than 3 fish and 2 pasta dishes plus standards.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2023 said:

I’m sure glad I wasn’t playing a drinking game and the key word was ‘excited’!

• Haha 6

Just now, Oceangoer2 said:

Checked MENU on X app for the Silhouette 11/20 cruise and there have been changes ...chocolate dessert seems to be important and it's there each night in some form.  The 'standards' seem to be separate from the mains...one night no entree menu (yet) so probably 'coming soon'...😉.  Prime Rib first night and there is Lobster on the menu one of the nights.  But anything could change in the next two weeks so maybe I'll be offered something other than 3 fish and 2 pasta dishes plus standards.

Agree I think changes on the menu will be happening a bunch of times so I will look at it as a guide at this point.  Truth will be told when onboard, as many people pointed out quality is just as important as the reversals taking place.  

• Like 1

There was never a doubt in my mind that Celebrity would get this right.  Kudos and just in time for my Equinox 10 night cruise in January 2024

What I’m most impressed with is that they went to the source of the problem to understand it more clearly before they made changes.  In Japanese culture this is called Gemba (or Genba) which is to NOT make decisions from the Ivory tower and to get down to the job site to see it for yourself (in my experience it was the production line floor).  And this ideology was impressed to all the execs by having them participate

Job well done

Edited by Cruise till you drop
  • Like 8

11 hours ago, MisterBill99 said:

And making it seem like an upgrade without acknowledging that they made a major mistake by reducing the choices.

There is only one company that I know about that’s ever done that and that is Toyota during the Unintended Acceleration crisis where Akio Toyoda basically admitted the company mistakenly chased sales and strayed from their foundation of quality and gave a 6 point plan to restore customer trust.

But you don’t ever see this from top execs but in Celebrity case, regardless of admission of fault, got it right in the end

Edited by Cruise till you drop
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cruise till you drop said:

There is only one company that I know about that’s ever done that and that is Toyota during the Unintended Acceleration crisis where Akio Toyoda basically admitted the company mistakenly chased sales and strayed from their foundation of quality and gave a 6 point plan to restore customer trust.

But you don’t ever see this from top execs but in Celebrity case, regardless of admission of fault, got it right in the end

Laura kept saying that she and her team's goal is to allow passengers see that value in their vacation with Celebrity. The President of Celebrity has reversed some former policies in that direction. 

• Like 1

I get that some of us are wired to more cynical than are others...but I watched that video and I actually saw sincerity. I believe they went on the Equinox with the intent of examining the actual passenger experience, and they saw the things that many here have seen....and that's why I also think it's possible that more good will come out of their field trip than was discussed in the video.  I'm referring to tweaks in food preparation (quality) that were recognized as needed, but not publicly called out.  With 19 X reps going on the trip, it's probably safe to assume they all returned with their own notes and lists, and that those lists will be reviewed, evaluated and decisions will be made as to what changes will be implemented.

All that said, it will be interesting to see if things do change.  What will remain constant is that for some, the good old days will always seem unattainable and cruising will continue to be a disappointment, and some will just enjoy their cruising with lower expectations.  Perception is ones reality!

• Like 17

26 minutes ago, Orator said:

Laura kept saying that she and her team's goal is to allow passengers see that value in their vacation with Celebrity. The President of Celebrity has reversed some former policies in that direction. 

So you’re saying she did admit fault but with a careful choice of words.

I can agree with that

• Like 1

So they took away the Crew Appreciation portion of the "all inclusive" price (dollars out of our pocket) and then make a big production of "listening to our loyalty members" by giving us back a room for cocktails (but not every night), the classic menu, and a chocolate dessert.  Those three things are throw aways for them -- it costs them next to nothing to give them back, and they knew that when they took them away.  None of those things put money back into our pockets. 

I don't care if they are excited and giggle through their whole presentation as long as they give us back something of value.  I'll still get my drinks in the bar before dinner, I only eat the classic menu if everything else sounds horrible (as noted by others, no mention of improvement to menu items, just different) and I don't care about chocolate desserts.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, CruisinShips said:

I get that some of us are wired to more cynical than are others...but I watched that video and I actually saw sincerity. I believe they went on the Equinox with the intent of examining the actual passenger experience, and they saw the things that many here have seen....and that's why I also think it's possible that more good will come out of their field trip than was discussed in the video.  I'm referring to tweaks in food preparation (quality) that were recognized as needed, but not publicly called out.  With 19 X reps going on the trip, it's probably safe to assume they all returned with their own notes and lists, and that those lists will be reviewed, evaluated and decisions will be made as to what changes will be implemented.

All that said, it will be interesting to see if things do change.  What will remain constant is that for some, the good old days will always seem unattainable and cruising will continue to be a disappointment, and some will just enjoy their cruising with lower expectations.  Perception is ones reality!

I think they all knew before setting foot on that ship that there was a problem regarding food on social media and cruise reviews. The ship visit (and the just released video) was just a way to publicly say "heard, understood, acknowledged" 

I dont think that change in itself is a disappointment as hotels and resorts aren't what they were 5, 10 or 15 years ago and they are doing ok. Chocolate fountain and midnight buffet ain't coming back.

What they will have to change is offering a few better entree selections and a notch or two up of what is chosen.  Tilapia is not a fish to be served in.a restaurant . People buy it and eat it at home but that doesnt mean it is ok to serve on board - especially at the new X prices.  

In general I think that actual preparation is good, but when combined with lower end cuts of meat it makes the dish look unappealing 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I heard a lot of double talk. We'll see if there are any meaningful changes. We know prices aren't going down, but, at these price points, the food, at least, should be head and shoulders over the competition. At this time, it isn't, and that's on her shoulders.

• Like 7

I did use this as an opportunity to reach out on X/Twitter

1 minute ago, deliver42 said:

I heard a lot of double talk. We'll see if there are any meaningful changes. We know prices aren't going down, but, at these price points, the food, at least, should be head and shoulders over the competition. At this time, it isn't, and that's on her shoulders.

If nothing else, reversing the 2023 cutbacks is a positive, the only thing we know for sure is they'll be adding new entrees yet we don't know what.  If their new entrees are only "Frankensteining" the existing offerings such as throwing the turkey parm cutlet into the Alfredo, that would show they have no interest in putting their money where their mouth is

• Like 2

I liked the effort to listen but I heard nothing about correcting service issues for the MDR.  The very long times to finish a meal and the very long times to be seated in MTD are service management issues.  The food not served hot is a service issue.  My DH is easy to please at home, hot food served in a reasonable amount of time, he doesn't even care if it is just tilapia.

• Like 1

Hope to never have those chickpeas on my plate!

We are used to enjoying  BLU   but hope they circle back to more "Clean Cuisine".

Low salt, low fat choices...including soups,  dressings & gravies on the side  and not drowning  the food,  food cooked to order if possible.  low carb desserts (diff from no sugar added)

• Like 1