Royal Gratuity Misinformation

cusematt4

Hi All,

I called Royal Caribbean last week to add pre-paid gratuities to our reservation before prices go up.  I was told that my travel agent needs to be the one to add it.  I advised them that my agent was out until today. Both the representative and her manager assured me that as long as the sailing is booked prior to 11/11, the original rates will be honored for prepaid gratuities on or after this day.  The new rate would go into effect for sailings on or after 11/11.

I was assured not to worry and to go back Monday for my travel agent to add without there being an issue for the original rates, since my sailing was booked prior to the mentioned date.

My travel agent just tried adding them and it is at the higher rate.  Two different Royal Caribbean agents assured us not to worry and that the old rates would be honored beyond 11/10 for sailings booked.  What should I do since we tried to have these added and relied on the RCL-provided info?  Has anyone else had this issue?  Does anyone know if RCL monitors calls.  This isn't about the $2 pp/day, but rather principal of the complete incorrect and relied on info.

Thanks so much.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Never ever believe an agent that says an old price will be honored. Royal never does this. Everything with them is based on when you book it or the price available on the day you are making a price adjustment. They do not honor unbooked pricing.

I agree if this is really important to you then go to guest services and have it reduced. You could also just let it go and enjoy your vacation. In the scheme of things it isn’t really relevant and probably not worth the time trying to resolve.

• Like 2

Thanks so much.  I would never remove or reduce gratuities as I don't want it to reflect poorly on the staff and they deserve every dollar.

FYI though - RCL is able to manually apply grats at the original rate for anyone booked prior to 11/10 - just has to be called in by phone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, cusematt4 said:

Hi All,

I called Royal Caribbean last week to add pre-paid gratuities to our reservation before prices go up.  I was told that my travel agent needs to be the one to add it.  I advised them that my agent was out until today. Both the representative and her manager assured me that as long as the sailing is booked prior to 11/11, the original rates will be honored for prepaid gratuities on or after this day.  The new rate would go into effect for sailings on or after 11/11.

I was assured not to worry and to go back Monday for my travel agent to add without there being an issue for the original rates, since my sailing was booked prior to the mentioned date.

My travel agent just tried adding them and it is at the higher rate.  Two different Royal Caribbean agents assured us not to worry and that the old rates would be honored beyond 11/10 for sailings booked.  What should I do since we tried to have these added and relied on the RCL-provided info?  Has anyone else had this issue?  Does anyone know if RCL monitors calls.  This isn't about the $2 pp/day, but rather principal of the complete incorrect and relied on info.

Thanks so much.

Yes the will honor the old rate.

The issue is that I would bet money on is that your TA is trying to add the gratuities themselves on line through cruising power.  That will bring up the new rate.  To get the old rate your agent must call and they have a code that gets applied to put the old rate on the booking.  I just did it today for a client.  

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Denversail said:

Never ever believe an agent that says an old price will be honored. Royal never does this. Everything with them is based on when you book it or the price available on the day you are making a price adjustment. They do not honor unbooked pricing.

I agree if this is really important to you then go to guest services and have it reduced. You could also just let it go and enjoy your vacation. In the scheme of things it isn’t really relevant and probably not worth the time trying to resolve.

In this case the Royal agents gave the correct information.  It was their travel agent that was not following the proper procedure to get the gratuities added at the old rate.

FYI, I have also added gratuities to bookings made prior to Sept 2022 today and they were added at the old old rate of $14.50

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, cusematt4 said:

Hi All,

Thanks so much.

I guess your TA  did not call and give their code to get old rates. My TA called today for me and got old rates. Maybe you need to "discuss" this with your TA or next time use a different TA.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cusematt4 said:

Hi All,

Thanks so much.

Just remove the grats - easy and no worries!👍

• Like 4

9 hours ago, closecruiser said:

Maybe the above will help. 

That still states that the lower amount will be applied as long as you pre-pay before your cruise. Not before 11\11. As long as you are booked by 11\11, the old amount should apply, no matter when you actually pay it. 

6 hours ago, Scottdalfonso said:

That still states that the lower amount will be applied as long as you pre-pay before your cruise. Not before 11\11. As long as you are booked by 11\11, the old amount should apply, no matter when you actually pay it. 

It's what we've done in the past without a problem.   Usually do it a few weeks before we sail.  

• Like 1

On 11/13/2023 at 4:32 PM, snoope said:

Just go to guest services on the cruise and remove any amount you don’t thjnk is fair. 

You know, I called (and sat on hold for a full hour) to prepay my gratuities, but this is really the answer.  If you want to pay the old rate, or really ANY rate, just go adjust them.  

• 1 month later...
On 11/13/2023 at 10:14 PM, cusematt4 said:

Hi All,

Thanks so much.

Why would you do this when you are so concerned about how little the crew makes according to you? Gratuities are a part of their income.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I am not a troll.  I love cruising, as does my family.  We give well above and beyond cash tips in gratuities and gave significantly  more than the $2/pp increase to the staff who helped us and went above and beyond.  We always tip extra at speciality restaurants and to housekeeping as well.

All I was trying to do is see if or why the crew can’t get basic access to free wifi like all crew do on NCL, Virgin and other lines.

I am not trying to make other peoples salary my business.  I appreciate how much the crew sacrifice and go above and beyond while away from their families to make our vacations so special.  I didn’t think it would be so conteaversial to bring up the idea of them getting a few hours of wifi a week without having to pay 3.99 an hour.

I apologize for bringing up this thought and idea.  I am sorry for suggesting this and trying to help them out without an impact to guests. I hope everyone has a happy new year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1