Crisps/ potato chips

zeberdee

2 hours ago, zeberdee said:

Hi,

can anyone tell me if you can get bags of crisps anywhere on the Wonder of the seas please?

I read that you used to be able to get them.

Free ones done away with.  I understand that you can order them via room service.

• Like 1

I strongly suspect ShipGeeks is right.  And small bags of chips are a poor value -- more bag than chips.  I'm surprised they don't buy the big boxes and serve them a handful at a time.  Chips are also space-hogs, which isn't particularly welcome on a ship.  

Sometimes we bring a can of Pringles for the car, and half of that ends up left over for the ship.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I strongly suspect ShipGeeks is right.  And small bags of chips are a poor value -- more bag than chips.  I'm surprised they don't buy the big boxes and serve them a handful at a time.  Chips are also space-hogs, which isn't particularly welcome on a ship.  

Sometimes we bring a can of Pringles for the car, and half of that ends up left over for the ship.  

Yes, I think we'll just have to bring our own from the UK. 
We find that crisps/chips are hugely overpriced in the USA compared to the UK. 

• Like 1

Park Cafe used to be the only place, including Wonder.  Just out of curiosity, I asked in Park Cafe last week on Wonder.   Crew member looked at me blankly and told me he never heard of the bags of chips behind the counter you had to ask for.  

Sooo...that has gone away quite awhile ago apparently.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, zeberdee said:

Hi,

can anyone tell me if you can get bags of crisps anywhere on the Wonder of the seas please?

There used to be little bags of chips at Park Cafe on many ships, including Wonder, and at The Cafe at Two70 on Quantum class ships but not any longer.  If you plan on ordering room service, you could add some to your order so you have some for later, but I wouldn't pay the $7.95 room service fee just for chips.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, zeberdee said:

Chips have gone up in price lately -- well, all food prices in the USA have skyrocketed in price since the pandemic.  I really feel for those who were already "living on the edge".  

I buy chips at Aldi's, where a medium-sized bag is just under $2, but name brand at the regular grocery stores are $4-5.  

18 minutes ago, Bead Pirate said:

You can buy a can of pringles (full size) for $7.99. They are in the back of the liquor store...

Enjoy!

Yikes, I wouldn't pay that much.  

2 minutes ago, zeberdee said:

A can of Pringles is £1.85 in the UK, so about $2.30.  

Yeah, I think normal price here is about $1.99, so we're in the same ballpark.  Even though my husband loves them, I usually buy them only for vacations (those cans travel well), so I"m not 100% sure.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, zeberdee said:

A can of Pringles is £1.85 in the UK, so about $2.30.  

I picked up 4 tall cans I carried on last time I think 3 for $5 at krogers in Galveston. And some candy. I give pringles to my cabin steward. If he doesnt like everything I'm sure he has crew friends who do. They are on sale here a lot. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, zeberdee said:

Hi,

“Crisps” thank you for the memory - miss the Marks and Spencer’s prawn crisps.

6 hours ago, zeberdee said:

Many groceries ate priced less in the UK these days than the US (sans fresh meat and produce, which is also generally far inferior in the UK).  However, big US supermarkets typically offer better promotions — you can often score a family size bag of Lay’s (Walker’s) for $2, for example.  Sometimes you may have to buy two or more to get that price.  

1 hour ago, neverbeenhere said:

Would it be wrong to bring a couple hundred individual bags of chips and sell them for $2 a bag or 2 bags for $5? 

Last week, we got off a two week transatlantic.  Early in the cruise we bought 2L of Coca Cola for 1.20 Euro each.  We stocked up (yes they allowed them on) and a few days into the cruise, people were asking to buy them off of us!

On 11/18/2023 at 4:44 PM, Itried4498 said:

Many groceries ate priced less in the UK these days than the US (sans fresh meat and produce, which is also generally far inferior in the UK).  However, big US supermarkets typically offer better promotions — you can often score a family size bag of Lay’s (Walker’s) for $2, for example.  Sometimes you may have to buy two or more to get that price.  

Hard to imagine the strict UK or EU food standards would mean any foodstuffs in the UK would be inferior to the US. Especially when it comes to animal welfare and additives

• Like 1

7 hours ago, compman9 said:

Hard to imagine the strict UK or EU food standards would mean any foodstuffs in the UK would be inferior to the US. Especially when it comes to animal welfare and additives

My experience has been that UK/Ireland food has been cheaper and better quality than what I get in the US.

7 hours ago, compman9 said:

Not hard at all.  Most people agree that US meat and produce taste better.  Sounds like you’re taking a political position on additives/etc., which have never been proven to be harmful.

• Haha 1