Sail Standby for $49 a day- new program

BermudaBound2014

imo this standby although a great price deal is for the young or near young . We can see the advantage if you are  able to be available to cruise on very short notice . In our case one we need a handicap stateroom & we prefer balcony handicap in VH category  deck 4 on Pinnacle Class ships then we use Club Orange  to upgrade   the stateroom ,so our cruises have to be booked very very early in the process 

This program from HAL was not available when we were in our 60s .If it were we jump at the chance to sail for $49 per day  .So  Good Luck to All of you 😃

• Like 4

Wow, so they’ve gone from seven days notice to now 24 hours notice. I just called my rep Monday and I have a standby for Saturday. So from your note, I could actually be told on Friday.? I think there’s a reason this program has no dates after April. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SoloYolo said:

Wow, so they’ve gone from seven days notice to now 24 hours notice. I just called my rep Monday and I have a standby for Saturday. So from your note, I could actually be told on Friday.? I think there’s a reason this program has no dates after April. 

For 24 hours to work you have to live VERY close to the port. I had thought about standby for a Canada cruise out of Boston, but 24 hours is too tight. 48 hours, yes, I can grab a seat on an Acela. 

• Like 1

On 2/21/2024 at 11:16 AM, mcrcruiser said:

imo this standby although a great price deal is for the young or near young. [ellipse]  This program from HAL was not available when we were in our 60s .If it were we jump at the chance to sail for $49 per day  .So  Good Luck to All of you 😃

Having just turned 60, I'm glad to hear that I have just joined the ranks of the young & near-young. 😆

12 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

For 24 hours to work you have to live VERY close to the port. I had thought about standby for a Canada cruise out of Boston, but 24 hours is too tight. 48 hours, yes, I can grab a seat on an Acela. 

I haven't gone back to re-read the wording but it seems like they made it clear that it should be considered mainly by those near to a port.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Having just turned 60, I'm glad to hear that I have just joined the ranks of the young & near-young. 😆

I haven't gone back to re-read the wording but it seems like they made it clear that it should be considered mainly by those near to a port.

How are people handling travel medical insurance for these really "last minute" cruises? I can imagine doing it all the necessary planning with maybe 3 days notice, but not for  24 hours!

• Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

How are people handling travel medical insurance for these really "last minute" cruises? I can imagine doing it all the necessary planning with maybe 3 days notice, but not for  24 hours!

I carry annual travel insurance that includes medical coverage.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

They make that suggestion (and I confirmed with HAL that it is just that), but that's really a judgment call by the person signing up. I live where there are 7-8 one-hour direct flights a day to FLL for next to nothing and nothing to tie me down. On the other hand, someone could live in Fort Lauderdale within view of the port but have kids that need to be arranged for, job responsibilities that require notice, etc. etc. As long as I have accurate information about how much notice will be given, that's for me to decide.

Having said that, when they indicated I'd get 7-day notice, there was no question. I could probably swing it with 24-hour notice. But now that they've changed the wording, and having been told that the program may require that you show up in the terminal a few hours before sailing only to be told you didn't make it, then that changes the equation.

It doesn't necessarily mean that living close to the port is a requirement. But it does mean that going to the port to be turned away can't bother you (although data points are more along the lines of 24-36 hours). We are going to be in Fort Lauderdale early May anyway, so I plan to standby if any Fort Lauderdale departures are available. I won't need any notice, really, and I won't be sad not to make it on.

The important thing is that people should go into it with accurate information. That is what HAL did not supply in the beginning but are doing better now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, publicpersona said:

They make that suggestion (and I confirmed with HAL that it is just that), but that's really a judgment call by the person signing up. I live where there are 7-8 one-hour direct flights a day to FLL for next to nothing and nothing to tie me down. On the other hand, someone could live in Fort Lauderdale within view of the port but have kids that need to be arranged for, job responsibilities that require notice, etc. etc. As long as I have accurate information about how much notice will be given, that's for me to decide.

Having said that, when they indicated I'd get 7-day notice, there was no question. I could probably swing it with 24-hour notice. But now that they've changed the wording, and having been told that the program may require that you show up in the terminal a few hours before sailing only to be told you didn't make it, then that changes the equation.

It doesn't necessarily mean that living close to the port is a requirement. But it does mean that going to the port to be turned away can't bother you (although data points are more along the lines of 24-36 hours). We are going to be in Fort Lauderdale early May anyway, so I plan to standby if any Fort Lauderdale departures are available. I won't need any notice, really, and I won't be sad not to make it on.

The important thing is that people should go into it with accurate information. That is what HAL did not supply in the beginning but are doing better now.

Agreed, but I still think for most people, living near the port would be a key factor. I live in a major airline hub with more than a dozen daily 1.5 hour flights to Ft Lauderdale but I still wouldn't consider it. 

Maybe my perceptions are colored by the fact that my grandparents lived in Ft. Lauderdale (about 5 minutes from the port actually) and they were able to take advantage of these kinds of offers in the 1970s....

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, publicpersona said:

I live about two hours away from the port in San Diego and I’m not sure if it would be worth it for me to go to the port on embarkation day to find out whether I am going or not. I would prefer at least 24 hours. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Chicanocruiser said:

I live about two hours away from the port in San Diego and I’m not sure if it would be worth it for me to go to the port on embarkation day to find out whether I am going or not. I would prefer at least 24 hours. 

If course. Everyone exercises their own judgement applying to their circumstances and risk tolerance. No one is wrong and no one can blame anyone but themselves, provided they were given good information to start with. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

Agreed, but I still think for most people, living near the port would be a key factor. I live in a major airline hub with more than a dozen daily 1.5 hour flights to Ft Lauderdale but I still wouldn't consider it. 

Maybe my perceptions are colored by the fact that my grandparents lived in Ft. Lauderdale (about 5 minutes from the port actually) and they were able to take advantage of these kinds of offers in the 1970s....

My first time on QE2 and second on HAL were standby cruises. Both were advertised in the local newspaper.

I still remember the HAL one was "Bermuda on Impulse!" I called HAL right away and got a booking, probably 2-3 weeks out. Remember, this was early 80s, so pre-internet, no dynamic pricing. 

The QE2 one was 1988. Fly one way sail the other. I called to get on the waitlist. I was working in NYC at the time so I kept calling the NY Cunard office to see if I made the cut. I think the guy may have given me the cabin to stop me calling! I think I had 2 weeks notice on that. 

But now with internet bookings up to the last minute, HAL isn't motivated to put standbys on early. Even with a sailing from NYC, I wouldn't pack and go to the pier "just in case," although I've heard stories of people getting on cruises way back when that when. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I wonder if there is a way to increase the odds that you will actually get on the ship. I think if someone (perhaps on cruise critic) knows that will not make a cruise at the last minute (within a week of departure or less) could post that in this forum or on a Facebook page. Then I would know that, yes, one cabin is now available. Would this information help people?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChinaShrek said:

I wonder if there is a way to increase the odds that you will actually get on the ship. I think if someone (perhaps on cruise critic) knows that will not make a cruise at the last minute (within a week of departure or less) could post that in this forum or on a Facebook page. Then I would know that, yes, one cabin is now available. Would this information help people?

Without knowing where you are on the wait list, I'm not sure it would help much. At least, that's how I'd feel...

• Like 7

I think the whole gist of this thread is not how close you live to the port, how old or young you may be, how you were notified or anything thing else. It was how HAL presented the Standby program. It was clearly stated in the original T&C (which has now been modified but still contains the 7 day nonsense) as an approx. 7 day notice. Someone in corporate decided to headline the "approx. 7 day thing" and it just wasn't being honest with their customers. IMO.
If HAL had said from the beginning you may be notified up until 90 minutes to departure we probably wouldn't even be having this conversation.
If you can handle up to "Day of Departure" notice, that's wonderful and I honestly hope you get to go a great HAL cruise. 🙂

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, SittingDuck said:

I think the whole gist of this thread is not how close you live to the port, how old or young you may be, how you were notified or anything thing else. It was how HAL presented the Standby program. It was clearly stated in the original T&C (which has now been modified but still contains the 7 day nonsense) as an approx. 7 day notice. Someone in corporate decided to headline the "approx. 7 day thing" and it just wasn't being honest with their customers. IMO.
If HAL had said from the beginning you may be notified up until 90 minutes to departure we probably wouldn't even be having this conversation.
If you can handle up to "Day of Departure" notice, that's wonderful and I honestly hope you get to go a great HAL cruise. 🙂

Do you think this was done to mislead people (malicious) or because of a lack of communication in the company?

22 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

But now with internet bookings up to the last minute, HAL isn't motivated to put standbys on early.

This is the answer, I think! Why give it away? There’s a chance someone may want to go on the cruise, say 6 days from sailing, and pay regular retail.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ChinaShrek said:

Do you think this was done to mislead people (malicious) or because of a lack of communication in the company?

I don't think it was malicious... just not very well thought out. Lack of communication in companies nowadays is rampant...just call nearly any CSR. 
When the whole program was rolled out late last year, Dan Rough, VP of Revenue Mgt at HAL told a leading travel magazine, "We see Holland America Line’s Standby Program as a win-win for guests and our business. Circumstances may arise for booked guests where they have to cancel a cruise the week before sailing. The Standby Program allows us to fill those cabins with people who have already committed to going and who presumably live close enough to the port that they can make last-minute travel arrangements." (emphasis mine)
The bean counters probably brought the idea to management with the notion of approx. a week's notice before departure and that notion got chiseled into stone and here we are.
HAL certainly hasn't lost me as a customer or shareholder, but excellence in customer service requires quick response to problems or miscommunication and in this case there was a fumble.
🙂

• Like 5

We are currently on the Neiw Statendam- and a couple weeks ago, I thought- What the heck, why not sign up for the Stand-by program- so we did- and I just got an email saying we are going!  We have been assigned a VB stateroom, and will get off the ship on Sunday and get back on the same day.  We will get our laundry done Sunday Night, as we packed for only 1 week.  We are thrilled!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

On 2/22/2024 at 10:09 AM, SilvertoGold said:

I’ve wondered that myself. 

And parking too- if one has to go to the port with luggage in hand, not knowing for sure if they are boarding or returning, (at least in my situation), parking would need to be thought out: it’s sort of hard to know to pay for a week or 2 reservation or if you’re leaving that afternoon. 

For me, San Diego is about 2 hours away. My method of choice (amtrak) I believe isn’t running. So that leaves car rental and Uber. 

oops- just checked and it looks like they do have mixed service and a few through trains- so they must have handled the mudslides.

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, hmmm said:

We are currently on the Neiw Statendam- and a couple weeks ago, I thought- What the heck, why not sign up for the Stand-by program- so we did- and I just got an email saying we are going!  We have been assigned a VB stateroom, and will get off the ship on Sunday and get back on the same day.  We will get our laundry done Sunday Night, as we packed for only 1 week.  We are thrilled!

That’s awesome! Congratulations.

FYI, TiogaCruiser, I was on the HAL Tales of South Pacific cruise RT San Diego last year and had booked Amtrak each way.  A day or so before departure the landslide hit and I had to scramble for a way to get to SD (even booked a refundable flight for $$$).

I then found FlixBus.com and decided to give it a try (the website provided for reserved seats and even booking an extra seat if you are Solo like me).  It left from the same place as Amtrak in Anaheim and took exactly 2 hours to get to SD.  I hoped the track would be repaired by the time I returned XX weeks later but it had not so I took the bus again (this time to downtown Long Beach).  It was OK.  Not as comfy as the train but had mostly well-behaved SD college students on board.  Would do it again if Amtrak does not get repaired by 2025.

Hope my experience is of some use to you.

And, Bon Voyage to hmmm!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3