Power strip or no power strip

Mother14

In the last several months, in preparation for our Western Caribbean cruise on the Apex, I’ve been binging cruise planning YouTube videos. Initially all the counsel was to make sure any power strips were ‘cruise approved’ (non surge protected). Recently a couple of the better known YouTubers have said that cruise lines are confiscating ALL power strips. Can anyone confer or deny this referencing a recent cruise on the Apex?

13 minutes ago, Mother14 said:

In the last several months, in preparation for our Western Caribbean cruise on the Apex, I’ve been binging cruise planning YouTube videos. Initially all the counsel was to make sure any power strips were ‘cruise approved’ (non surge protected). Recently a couple of the better known YouTubers have said that cruise lines are confiscating ALL power strips. Can anyone confer or deny this referencing a recent cruise on the Apex?

Better not to take a chance.  We take charging cubes with multiple outlets.  Never had an issue on multiple cruises

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, hasentreelake said:

There are not plenty.

Get one that has USB and and power .. 
like this one

61hs4eKkN1L._AC_SX679_.jpg

No. Do not get that. At all. 

Those are all buzzwords for Surge Protection. Which you don’t need and is a fire hazard. And 3 of the four USB ports are horribly underpowered USB A ports. For the rest of our sakes, that should be confiscated immediately. 

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, hasentreelake said:

There are not plenty.

Get one that has USB and and power .. 
like this one

61hs4eKkN1L._AC_SX679_.jpg

At lease 3 outlets in the cabin 1 in bathroom and at least 3 USB’s in cabin. My apex cabin phone had a USB to make 4.   Plenty. 

• Like 1

Am always amazed that people go on a cruise to relax.  A charging pad handles 2 phones.  A couple tablets on USBs.  Then your waterpik, shaver, beard trimmer and a couple other appliances.

Really?  Do they all need to be charged at the same time?  

Crazy.

I use a USB cord that will charge 3 devices on the one cord.  Nothing else "needed".

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Am always amazed that people go on a cruise to relax.  A charging pad handles 2 phones.  A couple tablets on USBs.  Then your waterpik, shaver, beard trimmer and a couple other appliances.

Really?  Do they all need to be charged at the same time?  

Crazy.

I use a USB cord that will charge 3 devices on the one cord.  Nothing else "needed".

I agree up to a certain duration but if you're doing B2B or even a 10-night sailing with a pre and post-sail hotel stay, I do understand some may want the comforts of home.  Yet opinions including mine do not matter as its the individuals vacation and they will bring what they want to bring

2 hours ago, Tyler414 said:

Not needed IMO plenty of outlets and USB spots. 

In addition to "not true", for the past several years most new devices come with a USB-C charging cable which do not work in the ship's USB-A ports so at a minimum you'll need to purchase a USB-C to USB-A adapter or cable which ironically can cost more than an extension cord especially if its an Apple device

Edited by NutsAboutGolf
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

In addition to "not true", for the past several years most new devices come with a USB-C charging cable which do not work in the ship's USB-A ports so at a minimum you'll need to purchase a USB-C to USB-A adapter or cable which ironically can cost more than an extension cord especially if its an Apple device

No clue where I said “not true”.  
I simply stated what outlets and USB are available in a stateroom.
I’m leaving this thread.  Goodbye   

23 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

If you read social media sailing groups this always comes up often accompanied by CPAP machine

The consensus is it's the lesser of all evils to bring a non-surge extension cord and put it in your luggage that goes to the porter

Celebrity will provide you an extension cord and distilled water for a CPAP machine so no need to bring your own extension cord, which will likely be confiscated if you try

7 minutes ago, Tyler414 said:

No clue where I said “not true”.  
I simply stated what outlets and USB are available in a stateroom.
I’m leaving this thread.  Goodbye   

You're welcome back anytime.  I'm saying not true with your comment that there are plenty.  Also there are some people who need an extension for medical purposes such as a CPAP.  While there are SOME on board, they're first come first serve so good luck getting one unless someone wants to be one of the first ones on the ship

5 minutes ago, Alakegirl said:

Celebrity will provide you an extension cord and distilled water for a CPAP machine so no need to bring your own extension cord, which will likely be confiscated if you try

Always got on extension cord (non-surge) by putting it into the luggage that goes to the porter, they may get confiscated if you go through Xrays but many have reported success if they put their extension cord into their CPAP case

Edit to add, the stateroom attendant will actually tape the cord to the carpet for you

Edited by NutsAboutGolf

We were recently in a Corner SS on the Silhouette.   We could not find any outlets.   The cabin attendant showed us that there was one plug under the desk.  There were 2 USB ports in the base of a lamp.   There was also an electrical outlet in the bathroom that amazingly didn’t kick out my water pick.   It was a challengetrying to charge a IPad, Apple Watch, and IPhone that both of us had.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

1 hour ago, miched said:

We were recently in a Corner SS on the Silhouette.   We could not find any outlets.   The cabin attendant showed us that there was one plug under the desk.  There were 2 USB ports in the base of a lamp.   There was also an electrical outlet in the bathroom that amazingly didn’t kick out my water pick.   It was a challengetrying to charge a IPad, Apple Watch, and IPhone that both of us had.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

All you need is a multi USB port hub.  This is not a power strip. 

Screenshot_20231124-213458.png

Screenshot_20231124-213440.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

People need a multi USB port hub which aren't power strips. People are looking for the WRONG SOLUTIONS. These are what people should bring, not a power strip 

1 hour ago, miched said:

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

You’re telling us that a Sky Suite had no electrical outlets?

21 minutes ago, zitsky said:

You’re telling us that a Sky Suite had no electrical outlets?

There's usually one or maybe two, though not near the bed. I have been known to unplug the lamp (usually plugged in below the bed) to plug in my CPAP. I prefer that to an extension cord.

1 hour ago, kwokpot said:

People need a multi USB port hub which aren't power strips. People are looking for the WRONG SOLUTIONS. These are what people should bring, not a power strip 

Thanks for the info.  

Does the output supply enough to properly charge Apple products?   I have had problems using some of non Apple charging devices.

Thanks.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅