Dress code in Carnival MDR?

2 hours ago, Kristelle said:

I realise this isnt super serious - but always seems odd objection to me - women wearing stilettos with fancy dresses is ok but thongs are not - but you see the feet and toes of both.

and anyway you don't see the feet while you are eating - feet are under the table.

I live in rubber thongs in summer but  I wouldnt wear them into a nice dining area - but  I would wear something like this, which from a 'seeing feet' issue is the same

I think if I see stilettos with clean and manicured toes I feel distinctly different to grubby feet in thongs. I am equally as offended by a woman with dirty feet in sandals, no matter how nice the shoes are!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

It was the thought of the saDDles on men that tickled my fancy! You may be brave enough to post a pic of that one and not get kicked off here. I found a beauty but I dare not post it here. 😂

Spellcheck strikes again, it is my worst enema

• Haha 4

What worries me is fragile older women thinking they have to dress up in very high heels to be fashionable on formal nights.  I spoke to one woman who was moving about on a ship that was rocking about. She was clinging to handrails and walls and looking very unsteady.  I was wearing evening shoes with a sensible heel for the conditions, and she commented on how much more practical that was.  I'd hate to have my cruise ruined by a fall and a fracture, just for the sake of fashion.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, cruiser3775 said:

What worries me is fragile older women thinking they have to dress up in very high heels to be fashionable on formal nights.  I spoke to one woman who was moving about on a ship that was rocking about. She was clinging to handrails and walls and looking very unsteady.  I was wearing evening shoes with a sensible heel for the conditions, and she commented on how much more practical that was.  I'd hate to have my cruise ruined by a fall and a fracture, just for the sake of fashion.

I never take heels with me on a cruise. I wear flat shoes, even on dress up nights. They're not thongs though!

• Like 3

On our Antarctica cruise crossing Drake Passage our Captain made an announcement requesting ladies (and men) leave the heels in the cabin and wear flats for formal night.

Always safety first, fashion a distant second lol

• Like 3

12 hours ago, mum and son said:

I think if I see stilettos with clean and manicured toes I feel distinctly different to grubby feet in thongs. I am equally as offended by a woman with dirty feet in sandals, no matter how nice the shoes are!

can't you have clean feet in thongs or sandals?

although I cant say  I really look at other people's feet that much

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kristelle said:

can't you have clean feet in thongs or sandals?

although I cant say  I really look at other people's feet that much

Yes, you can have clean feet in thongs or sandals. My dad is almost 90 and growing up in "ye olden times" they always shook someone's hand while looking them in the eyes and then looked at their shoes to check they were clean. He always taught us when we were growing up to have clean shoes for that reason. He still gets his grandsons to bring their shoes over so he can polish them.

So that habit of wearing/looking for clean shoes has extended to feet now for me, because we seem to have a lot more exposed feet these days, and in places we didn't used to see them before. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mum and son said:

Yes, you can have clean feet in thongs or sandals. My dad is almost 90 and growing up in "ye olden times" they always shook someone's hand while looking them in the eyes and then looked at their shoes to check they were clean. He always taught us when we were growing up to have clean shoes for that reason. He still gets his grandsons to bring their shoes over so he can polish them.

So that habit of wearing/looking for clean shoes has extended to feet now for me, because we seem to have a lot more exposed feet these days, and in places we didn't used to see them before. 

People judge you by your shoes in most parts of the world. I was on a plane last week from Q'ld to Melbourne. Looked at the black shoes of the male flight attendant; they were scruffy and unpolished and I did think how much they needed a good polish. Surprised that's not part of the airline's message to staff (Qantas). Is being proud of your appearance now an old-fashioned thing?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

People judge you by your shoes in most parts of the world. I was on a plane last week from Q'ld to Melbourne. Looked at the black shoes of the male flight attendant; they were scruffy and unpolished and I did think how much they needed a good polish. Surprised that's not part of the airline's message to staff (Qantas). Is being proud of your appearance now an old-fashioned thing?

Qantas don’t care much about anything any more.  Oh except for making more money

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

I don't think its an old fashioned thing at all but I'm guessing a lot of people do. In fact, I'm guessing there are a whole lot of people who don't even think it's just old fashioned, they probably don't know it was ever a thing at all. 

My sister was a flight attendant with Qantas for 30+ years and I can guarantee you she would never have shown up to work with scuffed shoes, or a hair out of place. If things have got so bad that an employer can't set minimum dress standards, and ensure they are being met, then I hate to think where we'll end up. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mum and son said:

I am polishing my Granddaughters shoes each week.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, mum and son said:

My sister was a flight attendant with Qantas for 30+ years and I can guarantee you she would never have shown up to work with scuffed shoes, or a hair out of place. If things have got so bad that an employer can't set minimum dress standards, and ensure they are being met, then I hate to think where we'll end up. 

I don't want to be controversial, but I wouldn't be surprised if QANTAS was/is tougher on women flight attendants regarding grooming than they are on their male flight attendants.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I don't want to be controversial, but I wouldn't be surprised if QANTAS was/is tougher on women flight attendants regarding grooming than they are on their male flight attendants.

That's more controversial than me berating thongs!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, mum and son said:

I was on a Carnival ship I think it was the Splendor and a bloke tried to sneak into the MDR in bare feet, not sure how far he got, haven’t seen that before 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Aussieflyer said:

Any short socks and sandals on a gent! especially when wearing shorts as well.

My dad, the public servant, wore that as his summer uniform for years - although more of a long socks and sandles kind of person.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rkmw said:

I was on a Carnival ship I think it was the Splendor and a bloke tried to sneak into the MDR in bare feet, not sure how far he got, haven’t seen that before 

Bare feet are not permitted anywhere except around pool areas.