Pre-Tipping your butler or stateroom attendant at the beginning of a cruise?

CruisinShips

I was reading an interesting thread on FB on this topic and thought I'd bring it here.  I was surprised at the disparity in POVs on this topic.  It was written with respect to tipping Butlers at the beginning of the cruise (but it can really be applied to stateroom attendants for non Retreat guests).  

Replies were as diverse as "Yes, I always do it", to "why would you tip in advance without knowing what kind of service you'll get", to "it's basically a bribe", to "it's insulting to the recipient in that it suggests to them that you don't expect them to provide good service without it."

I am on the fence...I have actually done it both ways and I am not sure pre-tipping had much of an impact either way. 

Interested in your takes.

We tried it once with a stateroom attendant and had some of the worst service ever so regretted the pre-tip. 

In my experience, good stewards and butlers will provide good service regift when you tip and the rare bad one will provide bad service regardless. So I don’t know how much it matters. Do what feels comfortable to you. 

• Like 5

We have never ... and as a person who spent a lot of their life relying on tips, I would be a bit offended. If I'm a professional, I'm going to give you good service from the get-go unless you give me a reason to not give you good service.

From everything we've been told, the post-cruise survey is how the cruise line reviews performance. If a stateroom attendant gives one cabin better service because they've pre-tipped and five other cabins suffer because of the service the big shot has received then that may have a greater impact on someone's livelihood than an extra $50 in the pocket. 

Every time I think of people pre-tipping I imagine Rodney Dangerfield in Caddy Shack throwing money around - lol. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, mrgabriel said:

We have never ... and as a person who spent a lot of their life relying on tips, I would be a bit offended. If I'm a professional, I'm going to give you good service from the get-go unless you give me a reason to not give you good service.

Nice post. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, mrgabriel said:

From everything we've been told, the post-cruise survey is how the cruise line reviews performance. If a stateroom attendant gives one cabin better service because they've pre-tipped and five other cabins suffer because of the service the big shot has received then that may have a greater impact on someone's livelihood than an extra $50 in the pocket. 

Every time I think of people pre-tipping I imagine Rodney Dangerfield in Caddy Shack throwing money around - lol. 

Good post and perspective.  It' funny, it wouldn't occur to me that someone in the service industry (and depends on tips as a big supplement to their income) would every be offended by a tip regardless of when it came.  It can also be looked at as a way of saying "I am someone who wants you to know from the start that I value your time and efforts."

Or not lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I have always left a tip as we are leaving the stateroom for the last time.  My next cruise I plan to tip half what I usually do on day 3 and the remaining on our way out.   I feel like leaving a tip at the very end is less personal.  Just my opinion.  I don't expect anything different or special than any other guest receives. 

29 minutes ago, Tyler414 said:

I have always left a tip as we are leaving the stateroom for the last time.  My next cruise I plan to tip half what I usually do on day 3 and the remaining on our way out.   I feel like leaving a tip at the very end is less personal.  Just my opinion.  I don't expect anything different or special than any other guest receives. 

We always bring Thank You cards and leave any extra $ in the card with a note mentioning what they did that made our vacation better. 

• Like 4

I’ve always regarded tipping up front as unsavory.  Either the person feels inferior and thinks they won’t get service without a bribe, or they are so puffed up with themselves that they think throwing money around will enhance their importance.  EM

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I make a few simple request, ice in the room etc at the start of a cruise...these I consider above and beyond...my request is always accompanied by a $20....only one cruise out of 15 or so have I not gotten the ice etc I requested.  Never have I had anyone with any issues taking the $20. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, sanger727 said:

There are many threads on this topic already. With the same sort of responses that you received on facebook.

Fact...^^^ Meanwhile, pass the popcorn. 

Edited by PTC DAWG

1 hour ago, jelayne said:

We always bring Thank You cards and leave any extra $ in the card with a note mentioning what they did that made our vacation better. 

Similarly, I just ordered custom envelopes with our personal logo and "Thank you for making our cruise special" preprinted.

ScreenShot2023-11-28at10_46_18AM.png.5cb5b05fea091c8b7b31492370529312.png

• Like 3

2 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

I make a few simple request, ice in the room etc at the start of a cruise...these I consider above and beyond...my request is always accompanied by a $20....only one cruise out of 15 or so have I not gotten the ice etc I requested.  Never have I had anyone with any issues taking the $20. 

This is exactly what I do. Usually I’m managing 2 cabins for the entire family. The kids invariably need the beds separated and everyone wants ice refilled daily. I write a note requesting these things and include $20. Then I’ll tip again at the end of the trip. No one has ever seemed even slightly offended lol

• Like 1

non suite travellers

we have all- in pre paid grats

we tip when luggage is delivered esp if they  bring it in..

we tip for room service or special requests

other than that, we are guided by performance!

• Like 1