The Startling Economics of the World’s Largest Cruise Ship

luvtoride

Our friends smirked at us and our financial advisor questioned why we were considering on purchasing Royal Caribbean stocks during the pandemic...we bought shares anyway.

I'll be the first to admit...we just got lucky. Bought shares at $30.10/share...today it is $110.43/share.

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, OnTheJourney said:

Amazing for sure, and neat article. Somehow, though, I have zero interest in sailing on that big a ship. Largest I've ever been on is the Adventure. I wouldn't mind trying Oasis class at least once I suppose.

I’m with you.  I have no interest in going on this ship.   It will be filled with rouge kids running a muck all over the ship.    It’s basically a Disney on the seas.       No thank you.   

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Those monsters of the seas are profitable and sort of beautiful, but of course they have their own negatives as well, and the largest one appointed on the article itself is that with a relatively small number of them, there will be limitations on where one can go with them. Of course there are all the usual suspects in the Caribbean, plus China and the Middle East... And some half a dozen ports in the EU and the UK, but that is it. As times go along, some of those ports will impose environmental and ecological limitations on ship numbers and full capacities.

For now all those RCI Oasis, RCI Icon and MSC World class ships are the unique ones filling a category that may very well be reaching its end point sooner rather than later. There is no place for a third operator at the size segment, and there might not be that much more place for the 2 current segment operators to operate a larger number of ships in the segment. The very recently announced MSC World 5 ship may be the last "A380" of the seas we will ever have. Those ships are profitable for the times being.... But I believe they'll also to be a nightmare for the current operators in a not so long future...

My best advice? Enjoy till there is.

Icon? Not for me, but nice to know!

3 hours ago, Cruise5life said:

I’m with you.  I have no interest in going on this ship.   It will be filled with rouge kids running a muck all over the ship.    It’s basically a Disney on the seas.       No thank you.   

Years ago when the Voyager class was being introduced that was how Fromer's Guide to cruising described those ships.

• Like 2

We have done all classes and my favorite is now the Oasis sisters.  So much to do...love it.  So I am sure ICON will be just as interesting.  The crowds have never bothered us on them, in fact, we had more crowding issues on Voyager class than any others.

Having said that, ICON is just about the last cruise we will take because ALL ships fares are just pricing themselves out of our league.  We're just glad we booked last year when they were cheaper...our interior cost us $2400!  Yikes!  Time to think about land cruises at our age.

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 2

Those who cruise to see the ocean and be on the ocean will not be flocking to this ship.  It won’t be those who want interesting itineraries either.  But if you want a floating resort that you can take your family on then this will be your ship.  

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

We have done all classes and my favorite is now the Oasis sisters.  So much to do...love it.  So I am sure ICON will be just as interesting.  The crowds have never bothered us on them, in fact, we had more crowding issues on Voyager class than any others.

Having said that, ICON is just about the last cruise we will take because ALL ships fares are just pricing themselves out of our league.  We're just glad we booked last year when they were cheaper...our interior cost us $2400!  Yikes!  Time to think about land cruises at our age.

I can’t believe the prices people are paying for Icon. I booked two cruises on Icon right away when bookings were opened for the ship. Since that time prices for the same cabin have roughly tripled. I have no intention booking Icon again at current prices. Fortunately prices on Utopia were/are far more reasonable so far. Plus I still enjoy any RCI ship (I cruised Grandeur twice this year), so you can still find good prices if you don’t need to be on the newest ships. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Amazing for sure, and neat article. Somehow, though, I have zero interest in sailing on that big a ship. Largest I've ever been on is the Adventure. I wouldn't mind trying Oasis class at least once I suppose.

We tried the different classes of RC ships and decided Oasis class was the best fit for us.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Those who cruise to see the ocean and be on the ocean will not be flocking to this ship.  It won’t be those who want interesting itineraries either.  But if you want a floating resort that you can take your family on then this will be your ship.  

I take real exception to that statement.  Big Blue is always my first reason for cruising and...itineraries are almost all the same for any class.  But we do enjoy the latest innovations on the new ships.  I try hard never to make such exclusive or absolute statements.  Didn't you mean to say that YOU wouldn't be flocking to it?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BecciBoo said:

I take real exception to that statement.  Big Blue is always my first reason for cruising and...itineraries are almost all the same for any class.  But we do enjoy the latest innovations on the new ships.  I try hard never to make such exclusive or absolute statements.  Didn't you mean to say that YOU wouldn't be flocking to it?

I certainly didn’t mean to offend you.

I will clarify and say while I may someday cruise on Icon and Star, they won’t be my first choice to be on the ocean.  When we go on the big girls we make sure we’re in a balcony or above.  Otherwise we can lose sight of the fact that we are even on the ocean. Perhaps with the new Pearl area this will help bring the ocean in. 

3 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

I will clarify and say while I may someday cruise on Icon and Star, they won’t be my first choice to be on the ocean.  When we go on the big girls we make sure we’re in a balcony or above.  Otherwise we can lose sight of the fact that we are even on the ocean. Perhaps with the new Pearl area this will help bring the ocean in. 

I believe you are saying it’s easy to forget you are on a cruise on some of the larger ships, which I think is accurate. Earlier this year I cruised on Odyssey, Wonder and Grandeur in a five week period. While I enjoyed all three cruises, you can see the ocean pretty much anywhere you go on Grandeur. You can’t say that about Odyssey or Wonder. Additionally, Grandeur went to several ports that Odyssey and Wonder can’t go to because of their size. 

I think in general if someone really wants to feel connected to and see the ocean, they are likely to book cruises on smaller, older oceans. If someone wants to be on a ship with the latest bells and whistles, they are going to book a cruise on a newer ship. Personally both of these appeal to me. Since I am fortunate enough to cruise more or less on a monthly basis, I find a mix of both older and newer ships works best for me. If I had to choose one over the other, I would probably go with smaller ships for the connection to the ocean they offer. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

we make sure we’re in a balcony

I wouldn't do any cruise without a balcony. One of my favorite things is to just sit out there, enjoy the view, peace and quiet, and do some reading. 

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

If someone wants to be on a ship with the latest bells and whistles, they are going to book a cruise on a newer ship.

I've spoken to this also in a few posts. Generally speaking I agree with you. Primarily itinerary-oriented vs. cruising moreso for what the ship offers are, I feel, two somewhat different motivations, though of course there are gradations in between as to personal preference.

\

2 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I believe you are saying it’s easy to forget you are on a cruise on some of the larger ships, which I think is accurate.

Good point, which is why I spend as little time as possible with ship-sponsored (indoor) activities and such. If I want to spend large amounts of time inside, I'll do a land tour with fancy hotels. The real attraction, for me, is whatever there is to see outside, even if it's just the waves.

2 hours ago, loman said:

Oasis class was the best fit for us.

I'm willing to try it, if one of the big ships comes into Bayonne or Baltimore. Surely wouldn't fly anywhere to do a large ship solely for the sake of seeing how I like it, unless it's some amazing itinerary. I strongly suspect any large-ship experience would be once and done. Our cruises with Viking, with only 900+ passengers (let alone no kids!) has really got me liking their smaller ship feel. Easier to navigate for one thing. And, all their ocean ships are exactly the same! That works for me too. Less time spent learning a new ship layout = more time spent just enjoying being out on deck and such. With being 'directionally challenged', by the time I'd sort of learn my way around something like the Icon, the cruise'll be over.

Edited by OnTheJourney

Icon of the seas has a far higher percentage of 3-4 person cabins then any other ship.  So cost of a 2 person cabin is often higher due to reduced supply.  This ship directly competes with those planning Disney vacations.  There is significant value for families and multi family groups vs. other vacation options. In terms of two adults this ship probably has the least value at this time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I believe you are saying it’s easy to forget you are on a cruise on some of the larger ships, which I think is accurate. Earlier this year I cruised on Odyssey, Wonder and Grandeur in a five week period. While I enjoyed all three cruises, you can see the ocean pretty much anywhere you go on Grandeur. You can’t say that about Odyssey or Wonder. Additionally, Grandeur went to several ports that Odyssey and Wonder can’t go to because of their size. 

I think in general if someone really wants to feel connected to and see the ocean, they are likely to book cruises on smaller, older oceans. If someone wants to be on a ship with the latest bells and whistles, they are going to book a cruise on a newer ship. Personally both of these appeal to me. Since I am fortunate enough to cruise more or less on a monthly basis, I find a mix of both older and newer ships works best for me. If I had to choose one over the other, I would probably go with smaller ships for the connection to the ocean they offer. 

Odessey does offer some pretty impressive sea views from Two/70.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

I'm willing to try it, if one of the big ships comes into Bayonne or Baltimore. Surely wouldn't fly anywhere to do a large ship solely for the sake of seeing how I like it, unless it's some amazing itinerary. I strongly suspect any large-ship experience would be once and done. Our cruises with Viking, with only 900+ passengers (let alone no kids!) has really got me liking their smaller ship feel. Easier to navigate for one thing. And, all their ocean ships are exactly the same! That works for me too. Less time spent learning a new ship layout = more time spent just enjoying being out on deck and such. With being 'directionally challenged', by the time I'd sort of learn my way around something like the Icon, the cruise'll be over.

I know the Symphony is in Bayonne in September . 

The ships are very easy to navigate with the Promenade going down the middle of the ship on deck 5 .    Boardwalk on 6 and Central Park on 8 .

Lots of activities and entertainment and plenty of places to eat.

Check out some youtube videos on Oasis class to get a feel for it and see if you might like it.

You should prebook shows before you go , and some pax dont like that. Or just show up and you can typically get in after the prebooked pax enter for most shows. ( comedy club maybe not )

Whatever you choose , enjoy your cruises !

6 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

I wasn't offended, I just know that statement was untrue.  Plenty of people who love the ocean and cruise for that and that only, love the big ships.  And you are free to make any statement you want, and I am free to refute it...no worries.  And I wasn't trying to be hostile, I just don't appreciate it when folks think their view is the only view.

I never forget I am on the ocean, especially when I spend so much time here on the big ships:

Teak Steamer chairs.JPG

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 1