Thoughts, impressions, and observations for the World Cruise.

10 hours ago, kernow said:

Thanks to all those onboard who are posting, really enjoying reading about your adventures.

I have a question for those who say they give their drink vouchers to the crew, are they allowed to drink on duty? I always thought they weren't. Years ago we were doing a b2b on Brilliance and had the most fantastic waiter, one day he suddenly disappeared, it turned out he had been dismissed and sent home. No one would tell us why (I don't think the other waiters knew) but the speculation was either alcohol or gambling. I remember them telling us that the crew could be breathalysed at any time and even off duty they were only allowed to have a very low level of alcohol in their blood. Having more could be a sackable offence.

Previous to that we had given any unused bottles of wine to our cabin steward but we stopped when we heard that.

10 hours ago, island lady said:

That is what we were told as well.  By the concierge in the Concierge lounge.  We have teased them a lot that we would buy them a drink, but told us the same thing.  Though we have indeed given bottles of wine away to them.  It's while they are on duty they can't drink. 

They do drink plenty when off duty...oh yeah......big time.  Ellen from Chops was a little "pooky" from our overnight in BA.  She told me her and a group of crew members had a really good time that night, coming back at 3 am.  😉   And of course...there is the "Crew Bar"...they really know how to party there.  But I was told the drinks are expensive in there for them to buy, so most of them drink in their cabins.  

We just got off Radiance NYE cruise. Believe me the crew partied that night, and the word on the street was that some had a really really good time.😁 I’m happy they can have some fun!

We told our room attendant that we don’t use all our vouchers (to be honest just me, I can’t drink 5 drinks) and would he like something and he said beer. So we got cans of Fosters which is almost 2 cans worth of beer and left them in the cabin when we went to dinner and he took them when he serviced our room. There was no issue and even the bartender at Schooner knew and smiled when I got the beers.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, island lady said:

Was able to keep our same table in the MDR for this next leg (first traditional dining 5:30), but our fantastic wait team of King and Melissa were moved.  Drats....Melissa came by the table to say hello last night, they are now on the other side in a busy foot traffic area.  She told me they tried to stay where they were, but were over ruled.  We miss them, but do like our new team too.    

Though, through no fault of their own (I blame the bartender in the dining room bar/closet) you do not try to substitute Robert Mondavi SB for my Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc without telling me.  I know the difference.  They had to admit they were out of the Kim Crawford...again.  

Later took this up with GS and politely let them know what I thought about the out of stock situation.  We had 2 full days at Buenos Aires, which is a big embarkation port, with huge freight yards all around us and a constant stream of importation.  Got a call from F&B manager in my cabin an hour later to apologize for the situation.  He told me they took on multiple pallets of Kim Crawford in port and were working on distribution to the lounges and restaurant.  Hopefully back in business again!!  

Update to follow.  😉   

Pinnacle "Cheers with an officer" lunch today.  Will try to be brave and order the steak again....maybe get lucky this time.  Bucky's was good last time, mine horrible.  And I am bringing my own glass of wine from the fresh stock they sent me on TAD.  😄 

I saw this at Costco today and thought of you…..I’ll be happy to pick some up for you if I can bunk in your cabin 😁
image.thumb.jpeg.68e1fb93fe15f95658ad9ca053802915.jpeg

• Haha 8

1 hour ago, island lady said:

No, the ship will not refill scripts. 

They will, however provide a small quantity if the situation warrants it. We were on the Dorian cruise that got extended to 11 days, and I only brought enough of my meds to make it through the first seven (dumb me - will never do that again). Since we were stuck on the ship, the med center gave me enough to make it through the end of that cruise and the three night stub of the next one. Now we always pack enough to extend for two weeks after the cruise is scheduled to end.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, BND said:

Our prescriptions are done by mail (express scripts) as we have Tricare.  DH has medicare and Tricare for life and since I'm 63, I have only Tricare.  Dr will give out longer prescriptions but getting them filled for more than 90 days at a time is virtually impossible so I don't know what we'd do except go to a pharmacy and pay out of pocket.   It might  be doable, but I would forsee hours on the phone with express scripts.   

You could try GoodRx or Cost Plus Drugs, Mark Cubans website. I’ve looked and the prices are really good! All you would need is to have your dr send the script electronically I think.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, orville99 said:

They will, however provide a small quantity if the situation warrants it. We were on the Dorian cruise that got extended to 11 days, and I only brought enough of my meds to make it through the first seven (dumb me - will never do that again). Since we were stuck on the ship, the med center gave me enough to make it through the end of that cruise and the three night stub of the next one. Now we always pack enough to extend for two weeks after the cruise is scheduled to end.

I always bring at least 2 extra weeks of meds just in case…..along with the whole  medicine cabinet of cold meds, antibiotics, pain meds, etc.  Bob always says packing is easy, he just packs clothes, And he found out how important all the other stuff is when he got a cold on the Odyssey TA….

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

I always bring at least 2 extra weeks of meds just in case…..along with the whole  medicine cabinet of cold meds, antibiotics, pain meds, etc.  Bob always says packing is easy, he just packs clothes, And he found out how important all the other stuff is when he got a cold on the Odyssey TA….

We have one of these that contains all of our OTC meds/first aid kit/etc.

Capture.JPG

• Like 5

3 hours ago, torpeedo said:

I wonder what people will do on the full cruise to renew those required pills like Blood Pressure, cholesterol, thyroid and a  bucket load more.  My MD only gives me two refills and I'm held hostage to return or no pills.. Maybe the ship has supplies of pills and the ship's MD will renew?  

yes I too have wondered I mean 9 months is a long time.

I would have thought a medical facility would carry the more popular ones and with a doctor note dispense.  Then again how will they bill it back to insurance.

See these long cruises have so many issues. oh well God bless those that do go on them and we all follow along.  I would miss my kitchen and my cable tv channels after about 3 weeks. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

yes I too have wondered I mean 9 months is a long time.

I would have thought a medical facility would carry the more popular ones and with a doctor note dispense.  Then again how will they bill it back to insurance.

See these long cruises have so many issues. oh well God bless those that do go on them and we all follow along.  I would miss my kitchen and my cable tv channels after about 3 weeks. 

They can provide a lot of prescription meds for emergency purposes, but they aren't in the business of filling full prescriptions.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BND said:

They can provide a lot of prescription meds for emergency purposes, but they aren't in the business of filling full prescriptions.  

I know but I would have thought for a WC the medical center could have been setup differently,

or perhaps in a few of the larger ports, access to a pharmacy that would accept folks home country doctor prescriptions.  And two other cruise lines are doing WC but for no more than 5 months. 

• Like 1

@Jimbo

You are indeed a fortunate man to have good health.

My grandson was diagnosed with Diabetes 1  at age seven.

My DH has anxiety and the medication he takes improves both of our lives.

I have been taking Asthma medication since my early forties.

I think most of the responses here to your post has caused you to realize that medication is not an age issue, but,perhaps a quality of life issue.

Now, back to @island lady and her posts about her cruise.

MJ🙋🏻‍♀️

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Wow, how old are all you people? Feel like I'm missing something😉 ,  I'm almost 64 and I don't take any meds or wear any  hearing aids.

My husband lost some of his hearing during a rocket attack in Afghanistan.

• Thanks 5

On the meds:  Royal Caribbean asked if people wanted Royal to re-fill prescriptions for them. They wouldn't do controlled substances, but things like cholesterol meds, they would do. They gave both my husband and I quotes for the meds we take and we elected to get them on our own as we could get them for less than Royal Caribbean would charge for them. So we bought a 9-month supply of what we need.  Royal Caribbean won't bill your insurance; you'd have to pay when you got the meds from them. I believe some people did opt to let Royal re-fill their scripts. Royal wanted everyone to bring at least a 90-day supply aboard if they could. They also wanted people to bring a copy of their prescription -- I'm guessing that is in case someone did need something at some point and could prove they have a script for the med.  The ship does stop in Los Angeles and Hawaii, so some people are opting to re-fill scripts at those locations. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 7

3 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Wow, how old are all you people? Feel like I'm missing something😉 ,  I'm almost 64 and I don't take any meds or wear any  hearing aids.

I'm 72 as of last month and take nothing I would be allowed to bring on the ship, just gummies to sleep, which I have to get by without on trips.    So I sleep about 4 hours a night instead of 6 1/2 or 7.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, island lady said:

That is what we were told as well.  By the concierge in the Concierge lounge.  We have teased them a lot that we would buy them a drink, but told us the same thing.  Though we have indeed given bottles of wine away to them.  It's while they are on duty they can't drink. 

They do drink plenty when off duty...oh yeah......big time.  Ellen from Chops was a little "pooky" from our overnight in BA.  She told me her and a group of crew members had a really good time that night, coming back at 3 am.  😉   And of course...there is the "Crew Bar"...they really know how to party there.  But I was told the drinks are expensive in there for them to buy, so most of them drink in their cabins.  

I wonder what happens if the ship encounters an emergency. Do off duty crew not have any responsibilities in such a situation?🤔

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Oceansaway17 said:

What makes you think the ship's medical facility has any obligation, or even any intention, of dealing with anyone's insurance company? If they are in agreement to supply the requested medication you had better be prepared to fork over your seapass to charge your account.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BND said:

Our prescriptions are done by mail (express scripts) as we have Tricare.  DH has medicare and Tricare for life and since I'm 63, I have only Tricare.  Dr will give out longer prescriptions but getting them filled for more than 90 days at a time is virtually impossible so I don't know what we'd do except go to a pharmacy and pay out of pocket.   It might  be doable, but I would forsee hours on the phone with express scripts.   

A couple years ago, I read that insurance companies can require proof of the trip for unusual requests. (??)

Edited by Etta1213

Just now, Etta1213 said:

A couple years ago, I read that insurance companies can require proof of the trip. (??)

No idea as we've never had the need.

So, @island lady what's going on onboard tonight?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Jimbo said:

For some reason I thought you were a lot older than that.

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, MJSailors said:

@Jimbo

You are indeed a fortunate man to have good health.

My grandson was diagnosed with Diabetes 1  at age seven.

My DH has anxiety and the medication he takes improves both of our lives.

I have been taking Asthma medication since my early forties.

I think most of the responses here to your post has caused you to realize that medication is not an age issue, but,perhaps a quality of life issue.

Now, back to @island lady and her posts about her cruise.

MJ🙋🏻‍♀️

Well said! And no snark, I'm impressed I could not have done that, so I just didn't say anything. Thank you for your tact and diplomacy it's a rare find. MY niece was diagnosed with type 1 at 6 and her sister at 15.

Edited by cruise1957
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StanleyandGus said:

My husband lost some of his hearing during a rocket attack in Afghanistan.

Thank you to both of you for your service. I very much appreciate it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, cruise1957 said:

Well said! And no snark, I'm impressed I could not have done that, so I just didn't say anything. Thank you for your tact and diplomacy it's a rare find. MY niece was diagnosed with type 1 at 6 and her sister at 15.

My grandson was also diagnosed with T1D  last year at the age of 13.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

Same, typically away from home 10-12wks is the norm, when Cruise usually 30-45nites at time. Always bring double my Meds them while away Sister PU my new so always stocked with extras. Once ran out after USP lost them in the mail, never again

Edited by ONECRUISER

6 hours ago, island lady said:

Thanks my friend.  Some just don't get it. 

6 hours ago, doghog said:

I'll  just consider the source.

Some people have health issues and some people have character flaws.  🙄

Edited by Another_Critic
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 10