Thoughts, impressions, and observations for the World Cruise.

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Big "rock" in the background...but check out this huge iceberg floating along.  I think it may be part of an ice shelf that broke away....and it has a partner that was following, along with an ice "debris" field.  

On the second one (which could simply be the second of one that was broken in half) there are many Penguins on the sloped side of it, though I could not pick it up with my crappy phone camera...I could see them (more than a 100) with the binoculars.  

Penguin cruise on the "Iceberg of the Seas".  😉 

The (all) pictures of  those icebergs kill me. I can't even imagine being on a ship, being that close to them as they quietly float by. Amazing! 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, PolytheneGirl said:

I just want to say thank you to @island lady and everyone else posting and taking us with you on this journey. You've become part of my daily routine to check in and see what's happened and where you are 🙂

Awww...thanks!  You make me so happy to hear that.  We are all loving being able to take you all along, our virtual cruisers.  🤗

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, doghog said:

The (all) pictures of  those icebergs kill me. I can't even imagine being on a ship, being that close to them as they quietly float by. Amazing! 

I am just glad we are able to get out of their path.  😲  Luckily they are not "killer cubes" and move very slowly ....so we are able to do that.  😬

Happy to have our "ice pilots" (as the captain calls them) on board our ship.  Happily we have come a long way in navigational ability...unlike those poor souls in the days of Titanic.  😥

Edited by island lady
  • Like 8

Next stop...current position...Elephant Island.  

Not a docked up port, not even a tendered...and only supposedly there for 2 hours from 6 - 8 pm. 

I guess just a "looky-loo"....dinner view.  Will at least still be light enough to see it.   Little background info:

Elephant Island, Antarctica, is named after the elephant seals that make their home there (as well as for its elephant-like shape). The island is located 150 miles off the tip of the Antarctic Peninsula, in the outer reaches of the South Shetland Islands.

20240113_134123.jpg

Edited by island lady
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, clochette said:

I live in the finger lakes region on NY and we have some pretty good wineries, beautiful place to visit.

My BIL lives off Seneca Lake, I usually visit 3-4 times a year. I think I've been to every winery & brewery around Seneca & Cayuga lakes. Need to start checking out the other lakes🙂

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 1

Looking forward with the binoculars, can see Celebrity Eclipse already floating off the island.  Two big sections of the islands.  Also MS the world (Residence) is on the other side further north.  Not close enough yet to get a decent shot of the island.   

20240113_141140.jpg

Edited by island lady
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, island lady said:

I am just glad we are able to get out of their path.  😲  Luckily they are not "killer cubes" and move very slowly ....so we are able to do that.  😬

Happy to have our "ice pilots" (as the captain calls them) on board our ship.  Happily we have come a long way in navigational ability...unlike those poor souls in the days of Titanic.  😥

When we went to bed last night at 11pm, there were still huge icebergs passing by.  We’ve sailed many times with Capt. Stig, and know we are in very capable hands!

IMG_1344.jpeg

Edited by pstone1
  • Like 15

7 minutes ago, pstone1 said:

When we went to bed last night at 11pm, there were still huge icebergs passing by.  We’ve sailed many times with Capt. Stig, and know we are in very capable hands!

IMG_1344.jpeg

You are sailing with an awesome captain. I wish I could tell him how much he added to our cruise when we did the Southern Caribbean with him on Serenade. That cruise was in 2005 and I still remember him.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, island lady said:

Looking forward with the binoculars, can see Celebrity Eclipse already floating off the island.  Two big sections of the islands.  Also MS the world (Residence) is on the other side further north.  Not close enough yet to get a decent shot of the island.   

20240113_141140.jpg

Looks like both Serenade and  Celebrity Eclipse will both be sailing tonight and tomorrow together to the Falkland Islands after sailing around Elephant Island tonight.. Both will be tendering on Monday at Falkland Island.  Wonder how that will effect excursions and such.

Winds are suppose to be around 20-25mph on Monday. Hopefully that is still okay  for both ships to tender.

On 1/12/2024 at 12:39 PM, marquisite said:

Forgive me if someone has already asked, are the seapasses on the UWC any different to the normal ones, such as to assist crew identifying full/segment UWCers and those booked for individual sailings? If they are different to normal then that's a nice bonus for UWC full/segment/mini cruisers that collect them.

Full and segment cruisers have the same unique design. Current one looks like this. 

Same design each leg

20240113_170231.thumb.jpg.3711f9be20ae728610a174040744b3c5.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, CSHS1979 said:

Full and segment cruisers have the same unique design. Current one looks like this. 

Same design each leg

20240113_170231.thumb.jpg.3711f9be20ae728610a174040744b3c5.jpg

Out of curiosity, what can you doe with it since it is not valid for boarding or charging.

18 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Looks like both Serenade and  Celebrity Eclipse will both be sailing tonight and tomorrow together to the Falkland Islands after sailing around Elephant Island tonight.. Both will be tendering on Monday at Falkland Island.  Wonder how that will effect excursions and such.

Winds are suppose to be around 20-25mph on Monday. Hopefully that is still okay  for both ships to tender.

20240112_124513.jpg

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Another_Critic said:

Fantastic pictures!  

Multiple  👍👍👍👍👍 for everyone that has posted.

This is not to insult anybody or humble brag... but if you ever get an opportunity to do an Antarctica expedition cruise (beyond scenic... like go on the peninsula and/or continent), it's like all of these photos almost every day.

• Like 1