Thoughts, impressions, and observations for the World Cruise.

13 hours ago, mo&fran said:

I believe the ships electric system is 50 Hz., both 110 and 220.   That frequency is a function of generator speed.

Absolutely true, and that is why US devices that are all designed to run at 60Hz have issues on board.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, mo&fran said:

I believe the ships electric system is 50 Hz., both 110 and 220.   That frequency is a function of generator speed.

Does any of this have an effect on batteries when charging devices or is this limited to things that have motors?

10 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Does any of this have an effect on batteries when charging devices or is this limited to things that have motors?

Just motors and devices that use 60Hz as a pacing function (like plug in clocks). Typically charging devices convert incoming AC current to a low voltage, low amperage DC current. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, orville99 said:

Absolutely true, and that is why US devices that are all designed to run at 60Hz have issues on board.

24 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Just motors and devices that use 60Hz as a pacing function (like plug in clocks). Typically charging devices convert incoming AC current to a low voltage, low amperage DC current. 

This is way over my head, I’m more like @doghog wife, i just want to plug in what i need and go…Whenever My DH tries to explain electricity, my eyes just glaze over 😳

When we bought our travel converter + usb charger thing, he picked it out thank goodness. 

• Like 6

18 hours ago, Jimbo said:

It wasn't a free Upgrade, I'm sure Royal did it to get the extra $$$$. Being Pinnacle also probably helped in getting selected.

20 hours ago, Luckynana said:

After reading about the problem with 7602 and the cabin next door, it all makes sense that they granted you the upgrade;  and, good for you that that's what probably happened!😉

If I recall, the poster mentioned that she submitted a Royal Up that was accepted and moved from the balcony cabin to a suite.  

No free upgrade and Crown & Anchor status has NOTHING to do with Royal Ups bids. 

M

Edited by cruisegirl1
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, CSHS1979 said:

1pm ship's time should be 5pm est. Not sure of their next time change

Ahh..OK, so that is why you mentioned market time.  My broker let me know yesterday that my RCI stock has doubled in value since the time I bought it, and he was the one that gave me grief for buying and holding on to it in the first place.  Haha!  😉 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, ringers0815 said:

Beautiful day at sea today. 23c, sunny but very windy. Deck 12 is closed “due to weather” and so is the front of the promenade/deck 5.

In his update, the captain mentioned that the ship had increased speed to get closer to Hawaii faster as someone on the ship may need to be medically disembarked or evacuated. The ship is still planning to be in Hilo Saturday morning at its scheduled time. I hope this person gets better soon and sending good wishes to them and family/friends.

IMG_0928.thumb.jpeg.d542d254e22bfdf6f68d4f86e51c3ea0.jpeg

The closing of those decks happened quite frequently during the last quarter.  Frustratingly for my early morning walks on those decks.  😞 

Hope all is well and you indeed make Hawaii on time, and the pax with the medical condition gets the help they need.  

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

If I recall, the poster mentioned that she submitted a Royal Up that was accepted and moved from the balcony cabin to a suite.  

No free upgrade and Crown & Anchor status has NOTHING to do with Royal Ups bids. 

M

That was me.  And indeed that Royal UP cost me dearly, but was oh so worth it.  😉  Actually the very first bid I ever won...though I don't bid that often.  

And also true....C&A status and the condition of the former cabin has absolutely nothing to do with the upbid.  That is done by a separate company that handles those.  They have no knowledge of our C&A or reason to bid. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Yes, we know the Royal Ups are done by  the third party  and not by Royal but no one knows for sure 100% that the company does not have access to know if you are a crown and anchor member or not.

Those who say they don't are only speculating.

Not that it really matters anyway because they are in the business of getting the most money for each Royal Up anyway.

So they are always going to take the highest bidder and if bids are tied most likely taking the earliest tied bid anyway.

Edited by Jimbo

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

Yes, we know the Royal Ups are done by  the third party  and not by Royal but no one knows for sure 100% that the company does not have access to know if you are a crown and anchor member or not.

So they are always going to take the highest bidder and if bids are tied most likely taking the earliest tied bid anyway.

But surely you know how they do it for sure😇

BTW, all 7 of the upgrade bids we have won were the minimum bid permitted, and two of those were won within a week of the sail date, so your second 100% sure statements simply have no basis in fact.

Edited by orville99
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Sorry to hear this.   I wish them a favorable recovery.  

Someone I follow on FB who is on the cruise said it was their friend who boarded in LA (healthy) and will be hospitalized in Hawaii after the ship's arrival.   I just tried to find their post again but wasn't able so can't give you their Fb name.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, orville99 said:

That is what I'm trying to tell you I sure don't know and neither does anyone else.

They may or they may not know your crown and anchor status. No one knows for sure to say one way or the other but still people post  they do not go by your crown and anchor status.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, CSHS1979 said:

2 hours till big announcement 😉

thought it was at 1pm, has it now changed to 2pm eastern time?   Your post was at Noon Eastern Time wasn't it?

Wonder who Royal is  going to get on the ship to deliver the dirty work to the current passengers onboard? about all the changes?

Edited by Jimbo

19 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

thought it was at 1pm, has it now changed to 2pm eastern time?   Your post was at Noon Eastern Time wasn't it?

Wonder who Royal is  going to get on the ship to deliver the dirty work to the current passengers onboard? about all the changes?

They changed to Hawaii time last night. They will be in Hilo tomorrow 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, delmom18 said:

Someone I follow on FB who is on the cruise said it was their friend who boarded in LA (healthy) and will be hospitalized in Hawaii after the ship's arrival.   I just tried to find their post again but wasn't able so can't give you their Fb name.  

I saw the post also.  The person is doing better than they were but still needs to be taken off the ship and hospitalized.

It's on Cruising Around The World In 274 Days  FB page.

Edited by BND
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, orville99 said:

BTW, all 7 of the upgrade bids we have won were the minimum bid permitted, and two of those were won within a week of the sail date, so your second 100% sure statements simply have no basis in fact.

Who needs Wikipedia when you have your own local "knows all ....sees all".  😄 😄 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

19 minutes ago, island lady said:

Who needs Wikipedia when you have your own local "knows all ....sees all".  😄 😄 

Nope, don't know nothing, not sure why you posted that. Guess you still aren't reading my posts.🤣

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Nope, don't know nothing, not sure why you posted that. Guess you still aren't reading my posts.🤣

Not sure anyone actually reads your posts, other than to get their morning ckuckle😅

• Haha 6

Just now, NancyIL said:

I have multiple windows open on my laptop to read about Serenade's altered itineraries. Is this thread the best place to park myself?

You decide. Been excellent so far, IMO. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Td6462 said:

they just announced they are going to Dubai and Africa. If you don't want to stay onboard you can cancel and get a refund. Live TIK TOK from town hall.

Thank you! Guess that means Athens to Istanbul will be cancelled.