Disappointment

clover18

We arrived on Explorer yesterday. Chose this sailing because our daughter (16) is a folllower of Jordan Bauth. The ice skater. It’s all she can talk about from instagram and you tube. This morning Jordan posted on her story that she left the ship yesterday even though her contract was through March. Yeah yeah it’s just a disappointed teenager “she’ll get over it.” But when we researched all the cruises over this two-week time frame we ultimately chose THIS one so we could see and meet Jordan!” So bummed because we could have picked any other number of ships that are a lot nicer than Explorer. C’est La Vie, right?

Sometimes I read things and wonder who exactly is in charge?  

I'm sorry this happened to you, but, I wouldn't be choosing  a ship based on an adolescent fascination, which is likely to be fleeting anyway.  I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but, my practical nature wouldn't allow me to spend MY hard earned vacation dollars on something I thought was "less than" something else I could've been happier about.

Edited by Steeler Nation At Sea
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 4

9 minutes ago, bonsai3s said:

Just curious...Jordan left the ship because...?

Could be a number of various things, sickness, someone at home sick, not getting along with someone onboard. Needed on another ship etc.

Probably find her you tube videos will eventually tell you what her issue was.

I’m hoping everything is okay with Jordan. I’ve watched some of her blogs and I don’t think she would have left unless it was an absolutely necessary.  Especially since her boyfriend is also onboard.  Perhaps she’ll be back before the end of your cruise. 

16 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Could be a number of various things, sickness, someone at home sick, not getting along with someone onboard. Needed on another ship etc.

Probably find her you tube videos will eventually tell you what her issue was.

Being needed on another ship is most likely. 

Still very interested in finding out why Jordan left so suddenly. I, too, follow her on You Tube. But, I am a 67 year old gay man, not a "teen with and adolescent fascination" who happens to enjoy her videos. I would choose a cruise she was on also!

• Like 5

I am so sorry this happened. We all know that these things are possible, but it doesn’t ease the disappointment. I sailed on the Oasis way back in 2010 and had called Royal within thirty days of sailing to find out who the headliner would be. I was told Il Divo was scheduled, only to find out on the ship that those plans had changed. I still remember that and feel a little pang of disappointment when I hear their music. 

• Like 1

I don't know why people are giving you a hard time for booking the cruise based on a "crew member". I guess you're only allowed to select a ship the same way these other people select their ships! You're doing it wrong!! 

Jordan is a performer and people want to see their favorite performers. I think it was pretty neat that you did your research and chose the cruise for this reason, I think it's as good as any other reason to choose one particular ship over another. Your daughter is lucky to have you as her parent. 

• Like 7

Yes, Jordan's back home because her grandmother has passed. You can read her tribute here. Considering the passion for her job and her inability to be still, as she likes to describe it, she definitely wouldn't have just up and left her contract for much else.

I have to agree with @SG65CB. It's not a conventional way of choosing a cruise vacation, but it's as legitimate as any other "unconventional" reason to pick a vacation. Sometimes, you just want to see something in particular (take the Baths on Virgin Gorda) and you want the cruise as well (which is scheduled to visit Tortola),...and then the weather prevents it from happening and you lose the experience. But it's OK; it just means you have to come back.

OP, I'm sorry that your cruise isn't panning out as you originally hoped it would for you and your daughter, but as parents, we often bend our backs for the kiddos, and I hope you and her can still have a memorable experience together onboard, regardless of these circumstances. Please take care.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SG65CB said:

I don't know why people are giving you a hard time for booking the cruise based on a "crew member". I guess you're only allowed to select a ship the same way these other people select their ships! You're doing it wrong!! 

Jordan is a performer and people want to see their favorite performers. I think it was pretty neat that you did your research and chose the cruise for this reason, I think it's as good as any other reason to choose one particular ship over another. Your daughter is lucky to have you as her parent. 

7 hours ago, snoozecrooze said:

I have to agree with @SG65CB. It's not a conventional way of choosing a cruise vacation, but it's as legitimate as any other "unconventional" reason to pick a vacation.

It's the penultimate sentence in the OP's post that says she'd have picked any number of other ships/cruises that would've suited better (presumably, for the rest of the family) were it not for the performer that her daughter likes.  Nice gesture aside for her daughter,  I read that as a complaint about the regrettable decision she made in the first place.  

Rather than giving her a hard time, I was merely agreeing with her and stating my reasons why I probably wouldn't have chosen the cruise she did in the first place. She's still a good mother either way.  Taking her kid on a nice cruise vacation and exposing her to the joys of travel into other cultures is always going to be enough!  As parents, we don't have to make decisions that aren't necessarily good for the whole family to satisfy our child's every desire or how will they ever learn to cope with a bit of disappointment in life?

Had she picked her cruise based on a performer, which can change,  and then stood by it without complaint about better ships being available, I would have not commented the way that I did.   C'est la vie, indeed. 

Edited by Steeler Nation At Sea
  • Like 4

There is little difference between this and booking a cruise to Bermuda because you saw the sun and pink beaches only to have it randomly canceled due to the weather. 

The schedule was to have her on the ship, and an unexpected thing happened. A low odds unexpected thing. I see no fault in how they chose the cruise. 

• Like 3