Folks without a home who cruise/travel year round!

Hlitner

While on a recent HAL cruise, we met quite a few folks who told us they had sold many of their worldly possessions (including their home), put the rest in storage, and spend 12 months a year in cruise/travel mode.  We found these folks fascinating and they all had great stories (and tips).  Perhaps there are a few here on CC who live this nomad lifestyle and they would share some of their story...here.

Hank

It's a testament to how great of a value and how convenient cruising is, regardless of the sky falling because a particular dessert may have been higher quality 10 years ago. 

Honestly, it makes sense for a good chunk of people. If you've saved up a ton of money and are bored in your retirement, what is honestly a better option? Sitting on expensive assets? Paying high-cost of living rent? Maintaining a huge home for 2 people? When you consider all of the alternatives of where your money can go, it's really not much more expensive (if at all) to live a convenient life on the seas where you don't have to cook, clean, maintain, not to mention a much more exciting life, and some extra elite perks. 

21 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

What happens if there is another pandemic and the cruise lines are forced to shut down again? Where are these now "homeless" people to do?

Rent a furnished apartment, make your own meals and wait it out.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

While on a recent HAL cruise, we met quite a few folks who told us they had sold many of their worldly possessions (including their home), put the rest in storage, and spend 12 months a year in cruise/travel mode.  We found these folks fascinating and they all had great stories (and tips).  Perhaps there are a few here on CC who live this nomad lifestyle and they would share some of their story...here.

Hank

I would LOVE to read what people have to say about this ... I've always found it a fascinating idea.  But just can't wrap my head around how life would be living on cruise ships and hotels.  But I can't imagine how people live in the huge apartment buildings of Manhattan either.  Look forward to some good posts on this subject.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

I would LOVE to read what people have to say about this ... I've always found it a fascinating idea.  But just can't wrap my head around how life would be living on cruise ships and hotels.  But I can't imagine how people live in the huge apartment buildings of Manhattan either.  Look forward to some good posts on this subject.

We visited a cousin in May , that lives in a beautiful apartment a block from Central Park , from one window we can see the park from another the East River.

This seems a little extreme to me. I guess if you went on a world cruise you could stay for awhile. If you are just piecing together B2Bs for months at a time, I think that would get a little boring with repeated menus, repeated shows, constantly having to add bookings to maintain that lifestyle. I personally like having a home base and can't imagine a traveling lifestyle competing cost wise. Our base expenses  for 2 are roughly $3,000-$4,000 a month.   A $500 pp cruise a week works out to $6,000 a month; not including internet or drinks.  Maybe if you are in a Retirment community it would be most beneficial cost wise 

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

What happens if there is another pandemic and the cruise lines are forced to shut down again? Where are these now "homeless" people to do?

None of the folks we met were full time cruisers.  They all used a combination of cruising, hotels, short-term rentals, etc.  The big issue among many of these folks was the EU rule which limited them to spending no more than 90 out of 180 days within the EU.  These kind of time restrictions (unless one can get certain Visas) makes these folks nomads.  They are forced to move around just to comply with all the various rules.  One couple told us they often "house sit" for friends they have made around the world, which gives them relatively low cost options in many parts of the world.  

This brings up another related issue we stumbled on a few years ago.  Many of the school teachers in the Society Islands (i.e. Tahiti, Bora Bora, etc) are French and like to return to France (and other places in Europe) during their summer vacation.  It is pretty common for the teachers to look for house sitters to take care of their homes, plants, and even pets.   We met an American couple who has been house sitting (for various folks) on Bora Bora for several months a year.  They get the homes, rent free, for which they take care of things.  A win-win for the teachers and the couple.  

There are lots of options for folks with a "spirit of adventure" and the will to be a nomad 🙂

Hank

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

This seems a little extreme to me. I guess if you went on a world cruise you could stay for awhile. If you are just piecing together B2Bs for months at a time, I think that would get a little boring with repeated menus, repeated shows, constantly having to add bookings to maintain that lifestyle. I personally like having a home base and can't imagine a traveling lifestyle competing cost wise. Our base expenses  for 2 are roughly $3,000-$4,000 a month.   A $500 pp cruise a week works out to $6,000 a month; not including internet or drinks.  Maybe if you are in a Retirment community it would be most beneficial cost wise 

For the folks we met, it was less about the cost than the fun, life style, and adventure.  I got the impression that none of them were dealing with severe money issues.  Keep in mind that with one exception (a lady we met on our EJ1 cruise) these folks generally spent more than half the year living on land (in various parts of the world).  The exception was a widow we met on the EJ1 who owned one of the "Condos" on The World cruise ship.  When we asked her why she was on the EJ1 (instead of just cruising year round on The World) she explained that The World can sometimes get a little boring :).  Given the cost of The World and her attitude, we gathered that this lady had no money problems and could afford just about any life style.  In all of our travels and cruises, this was the first "owner" from The World we have met.  

Hank

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

For the folks we met, it was less about the cost than the fun, life style, and adventure.  I got the impression that none of them were dealing with severe money issues.  Keep in mind that with one exception (a lady we met on our EJ1 cruise) these folks generally spent more than half the year living on land (in various parts of the world).  The exception was a widow we met on the EJ1 who owned one of the "Condos" on The World cruise ship.  When we asked her why she was on the EJ1 (instead of just cruising year round on The World) she explained that The World can sometimes get a little boring :).  Given the cost of The World and her attitude, we gathered that this lady had no money problems and could afford just about any life style.

Hank

No, I don't think these people are doing it to save money. It's just a question of whether it's affordable at all.  I can see doing a condo in "the world" (not that we could afford the fees). I personally can't imagine not having a home of some sort. 

We have put a lot of effort and money into making our home our "happy place". Someone who would travel year round would be a completely different mindset and once i personally can't relate to. I enjoy traveling but nothing is good as coming home at the end. 

Edited by sanger727

Not that I ever could afford it, but even if I could I could never do this because I am far too close to my daughters and their families, ie the grandkids.  It is the same reason that in the run-up to retirement I thought about and researched going ex-pat to Quito, Ecuador, where I could live like a king, but just couldn't do it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Not that I ever could afford it, but even if I could I could never do this because I am far too close to my daughters and their families, ie the grandkids.  It is the same reason that in the run-up to retirement I thought about and researched going ex-pat to Quito, Ecuador, where I could live like a king, but just couldn't do it.

My best friend died in 2020 from Covid.His wife who was native to Trinidad left their Manhattan high rise building and moved back to Trinidad where her son and family lived.However,the crime was really bad there and they all moved to Quito,Equador.They love it there.

Ive met people in Australia who have retired, sold their home and bought a Winnebago or similar - and spend most of their time travelling in them, staying at places for short periods of time.

Not the same as cruising - but the same i n the sense of constantly travelling

There is even a term for them - grey nomads.

Its not for me but clearly there is a sub set of the retired population whom it suits.

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

It is an incredibly interesting lifestyle.  Not for everyone for sure.  

I’m inclined to think it would only appeal to those who have a very low quality of life.  The idea of leaving my home and community, cutting ties with friends and relatives to live virtually permanently in a 150 to 200 square foot compartment is pretty unattractive. Sure, while on a good cruise it might some like a good idea —- but really?

I doubt that many people who have a good quality of life and community at home would seriously consider it

1 minute ago, navybankerteacher said:

I’m inclined to think it would only appeal to those who have a very low quality of life.  The idea of leaving my home and community, cutting ties with friends and relatives to live virtually permanently in a 150 to 200 square foot compartment is pretty unattractive. Sure, while on a good cruise it might some like a good idea —- but really?

I doubt that many people who have a good quality of life and community at home would seriously consider it

Yes, I would also fall into that boat (haha).   Cruise vacations are terrific, but I have other things I also enjoy immensely including our family and friends.  Even so, I can understand the wanderers might have a different quality of life definition. Those that choose the vagabond lifestyle are very unique to put it mildly.   

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

If I could afford the penthouse I had on Edge I wouldn’t mind , it was bigger than many houses. It was about 1600 sq with two bedrooms two bathrooms, large balcony.

10 hours ago, Hlitner said:

For the folks we met, it was less about the cost than the fun, life style, and adventure.  I got the impression that none of them were dealing with severe money issues.  Keep in mind that with one exception (a lady we met on our EJ1 cruise) these folks generally spent more than half the year living on land (in various parts of the world).  The exception was a widow we met on the EJ1 who owned one of the "Condos" on The World cruise ship.  When we asked her why she was on the EJ1 (instead of just cruising year round on The World) she explained that The World can sometimes get a little boring :).  Given the cost of The World and her attitude, we gathered that this lady had no money problems and could afford just about any life style.  In all of our travels and cruises, this was the first "owner" from The World we have met.  

Hank

Yup, I doubt that people who 'travel full time' have any money worries.  If you're 27, you can travel around the world for months on a shoestring, but most of us 'more mature' folks would find that not so enjoyable. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

I disagree.

It isnt for me but I hardly think it only appeals to those who have a low quality of life, that seems a very condescending comment -

it isnt low quality because it is a different perception on what is quality time.

and many people are geographically distant from family anyway - one isnt neccesarily more so travelling around than at home

and of course Facebook, Skype etc keep people in touch all around the world.

You dont need to cut ties with family and friends just because you are travelling long term.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, ldubs said:

Yes, I would also fall into that boat (haha).   Cruise vacations are terrific, but I have other things I also enjoy immensely including our family and friends.  Even so, I can understand the wanderers might have a different quality of life definition. Those that choose the vagabond lifestyle are very unique to put it mildly.   

"Vagabond" to me implies homeless, poverty, living rough, that kind of thing.

Not travelling by choice in comfort.

From the Google...

The definition of "vagabond" has changed over time... Originally derived as a person who wanders not by choice but as a necessity due to having no home and income. Now, the modern vagabond travels around the world by choice for leisure, knowledge and exploration.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kristelle said:

"Vagabond" to me implies homeless, poverty, living rough, that kind of thing.

Not travelling by choice in comfort.

Could be a regional difference. Coming from the US I don't think it has that connotation. At least not any longer.

• Like 1

I would love to love aboard a cruise ship.  My main issue would be...How can I personalize my outdoor space?  I really love gardening, and I just cant imagine having a naked balcony with only table and chairs.  Outdoor space is just as important to the soul as creating your individual indoor space.  I would never consider anything less than balcony if I was living onboard.  I would also miss cooking, but I could give that up for a nice plushy live aboard cabin

On 12/20/2023 at 9:04 AM, Hlitner said:

Hank

Interesting -- I'd like to hear some of the details /tips they shared with you. 

You may've heard of Super Mario, who lives full-time on Royal Caribbean ships.  I met him on Explorer last year.  He hangs out by the pool all day and has a sign he hangs above a table that says "Super Mario's Office".  I wouldn't want to live his lifestyle, but he's happy.  You can google and learn how he does it:  mostly inside rooms, has someone meet him at the port every week /trades out laundry with him /brings anything he needs purchased.  

On 12/20/2023 at 9:48 AM, Haqdeluxe said:

I would refer to these folks as those without a permanent address. Someone that can afford to cruise year round is far from homeless (folks without a home). 😁

Yeah, they're homeless, but certainly not typical homeless.  Like people who RV full-time, they lack an address, but they're not without assets ... maybe not even without jobs.  Super Mario, whom I mentioned above, still works part-time in finance.  

On 12/20/2023 at 10:51 AM, ontheweb said:

People with assets always have options.  It's not too hard to find an apartment quickly.  

13 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

I’m inclined to think it would only appeal to those who have a very low quality of life ...

We have different opinions about what "low quality of life" is.  I think you're saying being away from your family and friends would be a low quality ... and I agree.  The most important thing to me is that I have a two-year old grandson, and it means everything that I keep him overnight every other week or so.  I'd hate to go months without seeing him /without being part of his life.