My days of racing to be “first” on the ship or over

chiguypaul

Just a quick personal anecdote that I think some will appreciate. I am a diamond member, so I frequently will try to get to the cruise port as soon as possible to be on the ship as early as possible with my family. I used to value this because I wanted to savor every minute I could on day one, and to do things like flowrider  when the lines were really low.

Today, my family arrived for our odyssey cruise at 12:30, we checked in and walked right on. It was such a nicer experience. Honestly, getting those additional one or two hours really didn’t matter. And it was so great to not have to sit in the terminal waiting. And to stand in line, waiting outside for the terminal port open.

Now that thing said, we did not have to worry about making unlimited dining reservations, there was nothing specifically we had to make reservations for as soon as we got on,etc. So not boarding right away didn’t really matter.  The only issue we ran into today was that the complementary Ifly spots were taken. But my son has done a couple times so not a big deal.

Anyway, I’m done trying to be “first”. 

• Like 12

We prefer later embarkation too. Been doing it for years.  Only early times are when we are taking family with us on cruises, as they are relative newbies, and we always regret to early embarkation. 

But some value their extra two or three hours. (Out of a 150 hour cruise, three hours are nothing to us) 

• Like 1

I always try to get an early time not to be on the ship first, but because because I’m a worry-wort and it gives me more wiggle room if there is traffic, a flat tire or something on the way to the port. 

Even if I’m just sitting in the terminal waiting to board, the stress is over and vacation starts. 

• Like 11

I don’t like to get to the ship early, but I do so that I can make unlimited dining reservations. I’m just wondering if I get to the ship later and have a more relaxed embarkation will I not get the reservation times I’d like to have. Anyone have any thoughts?  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

The earliest boarding time is 10:30, which is hardly the crack of dawn -- what's the other option?  Hanging around the hotel?  I definitely like boarding early and starting my vacation earlier rather than later.  

Agreed, if you're coming from out of town, get on that ship ASAP. Otherwise you wear marks in the hotel carpet from pacing around watching the clock.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, SeaScout said:

There are times I would have preferred a later boarding time but the pesky pre-cruise hotels always seem to want folks to checkout at the crack of dawn. 🕘

What hotels are you staying at? Any hotel I've stayed at has had a check-out of 10 or 11. Hardly the "crack of dawn".

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

What hotels are you staying at? Any hotel I've stayed at has had a check-out of 10 or 11. Hardly the "crack of dawn".

I was somewhat joking. Checking out at 10 or 11 means an arrival at the port shortly there after. We have yet to find a stress free, hassle free way to kill a couple of hours after checking out of the hotel and checking in at the ship while hauling a bunch of luggage around. leaving luggage at the hotel to be picked up later is a hassle. Might just as well kill the time getting on the ship. 

• Like 7

For me it isn’t about racing. I’m an early riser and when you mix that with cruise day excitement we typically arrive early. We are always coming from a hotel and not much to do the morning of other than grab some breakfast and head to the ship.

• Like 2

We had trouble getting to the Miami terminal on the Sunday before Thanksgiving. Our Lyft driver was very confused and there was something going on with traffic at the terminal.  We left in plenty of time but ended up boarding later than we wanted. 

Even with that, we didn’t have any trouble making reservations for our small dining package. 

Edited by KBS1607

I'm with you on this one. Unless we have a suite with access to CK/Suite Lounge, I have no desire to arrive earlier than when cabins become available. Any earlier and everyone is just sitting around waiting for rooms to open, so every venue is full, Windjammer is an absolute pile of insanity, and I just don't see the draw. I get being excited but dealing with an influx of crowds isn't the right way for me to start out my vacation.

• Like 11

When I was younger and traveled with my husband, he liked to board as early as possible.  There were two of us, so we could take our luggage to the Windjammer, find a table, and take turns getting something to eat.

Now I cruise alone, so it's better for me to board a bit later and drop off the bag in the room before going up for lunch.

😊

We like to get to the port early (port Canaveral) as the parking can be an issue. It also may help if there is a wreck on I-95. A couple of months ago we saw a very large...and I do mean very large...motor yacht block all lanes of southbound I-95. Heaven help anyone trying to get to the port on time. We have no idea how they were going to move that three-story high three engine yacht. The trailer carrying the yacht was bent so badly it could not be used.

Im in the later camp as I don't want to drag my carryon around the WJ and sit in solarium with my carryon.  We have been boarding later and going to Chops lunch and then directly to room to unpack carryon and take a nap as we frequently travel the day of.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, jean87510 said:

Im in the later camp as I don't want to drag my carryon around the WJ and sit in solarium with my carryon.  We have been boarding later and going to Chops lunch and then directly to room to unpack carryon and take a nap as we frequently travel the day of.  

Good to know! We are on Liberty in January also. 

We were in Barcelona coming back to Miami in November.  We always leave early and was thankful we did.  They were having a marathon and what should have taken us 15 minutes, took us 1-1/2 hours to get to the port.  I am so glad that we always leave early.