NYC Manhattan or Brooklyn?

cruiselover19811981

15 minutes ago, cruiselover19811981 said:

We are booked on a 2025 Carribean Islander itinerary beginning in Ft. Lauderdale and ending in New York. The itinerary states the Enchanted Princess will complete the voyage at either the Brooklyn or Manhattan port. When can we expect to learn which one of the two it will be? 

It could be a few months in advance, but we have sometimes seen changes.  The port in Brooklyn (at Red Hook) can usually handle only one ship (of any size).  The Manhattan cruise port (at 12th Ave and around 51st St) can handle 3 ships.  Princess would normally be at Brooklyn (Red Hook) unless there was another large ship (such as the Queen Mary 2).  

Hank

4 hours ago, cruiselover19811981 said:

We are booked on a 2025 Carribean Islander itinerary beginning in Ft. Lauderdale and ending in New York. The itinerary states the Enchanted Princess will complete the voyage at either the Brooklyn or Manhattan port. When can we expect to learn which one of the two it will be? 

it is unlikely you will disembark in New York if you begin your cruise in Fort Lauderdale.  That would be a violation of the PVSA.  Passengers may not embark in one U S city and disembark is a different U S city unless the ship visits a far away/distant port.  

Are you booked on a back to back? 

9 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

it is unlikely you will disembark in New York if you begin your cruise in Fort Lauderdale.  That would be a violation of the PVSA.  Passengers may not embark in one U S city and disembark is a different U S city unless the ship visits a far away/distant port.  

Are you booked on a back to back? 

This would be legal as it is hitting ABCs:

https://www.princess.com/cruise-search/details/?voyageCode=N429

Sadly - my guess would be Red Hook.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 2

Thank you for the correction.  

The Red Hook ferry will run every half hour until 10 AM…then it is every hour until the afternoon.  But I am guessing (I wasn’t correct before) that the OP is asking about getting to the airport after the cruise.  

Best to take a Princess transfer.

4 minutes ago, cruiselover19811981 said:

I appreciate all of the replies here. I was asking more so that I know where I should book a hotel based on where the cruise ends up docking for disembarkation - the Brooklyn or Manhattan areas? If it ends up in Brooklyn, the Red Hook ferry information is helpful. 

If your purpose is to visit NYC then you should book a hotel in Manhattan. The area around Red Hook is not a tourist area. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cruiselover19811981 said:

I appreciate all of the replies here. I was asking more so that I know where I should book a hotel based on where the cruise ends up docking for disembarkation - the Brooklyn or Manhattan areas? If it ends up in Brooklyn, the Red Hook ferry information is helpful. 

I tried to find the hotel we stayed at in Brooklyn, but already trashed the paperwork.  We flew into 

LaGuardia airport - tried to book hotel close to airport - but due to tennis tournament, none were available.  So we booked in the "downtown Brooklyn" area - I believe it was a Marriott, for under $200 for the night.  Cab ride from airport was $30 and Cab ride from hotel to Red Hook to cruise ship was $30.  Make sure you have the address for the Red Hook on piece of paper so that the Cab or Uber can find the place.  Our guy drove all over the place trying to find it.

The area in downtown Brooklyn is nice - the hotel had a bar that served food and we had a view out the window of the Statue of Liberty and I could see our ship the next morning.

• Like 3

We went in & out of Brooklyn August 2022; return was a disaster.  Only 2 CBP agents to process the entire ship.  Disembarkation was delayed hours and many people (including my mother) missed their flights even though it was in the afternoon with what should have been plenty of time. Once out of the terminal people were paying others to get on the transfers in front of people in line as the busses were not running properly; we waited an hour.  And few taxis available.  Just be prepared.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 12/29/2023 at 12:07 AM, Mud_Shark said:

Agree it will likely be Brooklyn, but there is a water taxi stop right there at the port (less than 5 min walk).  The water taxi will take you over to Manhattan (near financial district) if that is where you wish to go or stay.

We found the Brooklyn terminal to be very handy to the Ferry and took it to the South street Seaport and had lunch...it was on Halloween and the families were trick or treating in all the shops and stores so it was fun to watch the kids!

Edited by suzyed

On 12/29/2023 at 7:24 AM, cruiselover19811981 said:

just stay in manhattan, there's nothing around the red hook area and you'll need to taxi/uber there anyways.  it's a cheap cab/uber ride 

I don’t see why you can’t take your luggage on the ferry to Manhattan, then take a taxi to your hotel.  Red Hook Ferry is just a stone’s throw from the cruise port. 

There is a ticket machine (credit card or cash).

No senior discount:($9), I think.

They have a schedule but not as accurate as I would have thought.  Although I was “early” for the 10 AM ferry, we either missed it or…next one would be 11 AM.  Then one showed up at 10:30 ish.  Never figured it out.  Someone said they sent another one (because the cruise ship was in port ???).

Much more to see and do in the city than Brooklyn.  Airports are difficult to get to from either location.

On 12/28/2023 at 7:13 PM, PacnGoNow said:

I can see the schedules up to Dec 2024.

You need to check in a few months for 2025.

Most likely, Brooklyn.

Here’s one website;

https://nycruise.com/brooklyn-terminal/schedule-bct/

Thanks much, PacnGoNow!

I can see my ship departing Brooklyn in October, 2024 -- does that mean it will return to Brooklyn as well (marked Brooklyn/Manhattan on the site)?

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, frogerina said:

Most likely.  To be sure, always check the port schedules at any port you are using.

It’s always been Brooklyn when we’ve been there. But, I always check it.

Edited by PacnGoNow
  • Like 1

On 12/31/2023 at 2:23 PM, worldtraveller said:

We went in & out of Brooklyn August 2022; return was a disaster.  Only 2 CBP agents to process the entire ship.  Disembarkation was delayed hours and many people (including my mother) missed their flights even though it was in the afternoon with what should have been plenty of time. Once out of the terminal people were paying others to get on the transfers in front of people in line as the busses were not running properly; we waited an hour.  And few taxis available.  Just be prepared.

We were off the ship in no time, but the parking lot with the buses was a zoo.  They did not have signs on the buses as to where they were going and you had to ask which bus, then double check.  We got to are port in plenty of time, but It should have been better organized.

On 12/28/2023 at 4:14 PM, Hlitner said:

Princess would normally be at Brooklyn (Red Hook) unless there was another large ship (such as the Queen Mary 2).  

Hank

More likely the MSC Meraviglia, as Red Hook is their home port for that ship.