Mariner's Cocktail Coupon

3 minutes ago, aussiedisneyfan said:

Ours was in the cabin when we boarded or maybe on the night turndown service.  It is one coupon per person if you are one star mariner or above.

Thanks 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pilot said:

Who gets the coupon?  Is it one coupon per person/cruise?  Is it in the cabin?

It was in the cabin inside the folder on the desk. We just happened upon it by chance.

52 minutes ago, POA1 said:

It was in the cabin inside the folder on the desk. We just happened upon it by chance.

52 minutes ago, POA1 said:

Thanks 

While they are marking the coupons with the voyage information now it does not say it expires. Just says what ship and voyage you received it on. FWIW they don’t even look at the cards when you present them so no worries about using them on a different sailing later if you don’t use them when you get them. 

Originally they said you could only get the (vile) Mariner’s cocktail but have since changed policy and allowed you to use them for any beer or cocktail available on the standard package. 

The coupons started appearing after the restart of operations in lieu of the mariner’s reception but now they do both on most sailings so we continue to get the drink coupons (and they have been added to the official list of mariners perks). 

Like many things with HAL, this varies by ship and bartender. I have had bartenders say it's only good for the Mariner cocktail, and others say "any drink" or "anything under $11". For best results, I try to go to a bar that isn't busy; generally they will be more amenable to this request. A small tip in cash is a nice gesture as well. I have never had the spritz offered, just the gin-based Mariner cocktail. Telling the bartender I don't like gin makes them a little more willing to offer the swap, though one bartender on the Zuiderdam was a little stingy and only offered a swap for a soda. 

When they first started distributing the cards in 2021, they were laminated and clearly recycled from cruise to cruise as people redeemed them. Apparently due to people keeping them to re-use on another cruise, the laminated cards ran out and ships started using paper cards. Some are dated with ship name and date/voyage #, others are not - varies by ship. My card on this year's Zaandam holiday cruise had the cruise date on it.

On 1/7/2024 at 6:33 PM, Seasick Sailor said:

You can use it for any cocktail within the $11 price range. We've been on Rotterdam now for 45 days and keep getting cards in our stateroom. I use them for bookmarks and give others away. (We have the HIA pkg)

Still on board?  Gof Bless you.  She is a nice ship/ Are you getting to Bonaire this trip?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The (vile) Mariner’s cocktail contains no gin. It is St Germaine liquor, sparkling wine and soda with a twist of orange peel and a mint leaf. 

St. Germaine must be an acquired taste. Made from Elderberry it definitely has a distinct flavor and when mixed with mint makes the vile concoction HAL calls the Mariner Cocktail. IMHO it’s the most disgusting drink I have ever had. 

Edited by Real NHDOC

14 minutes ago, Real NHDOC said:

The (vile) Mariner’s cocktail contains no gin. It is St Germaine liquor, sparkling wine and soda with a twist of orange peel and a mint leaf. 

St. Germaine must be an acquired taste. Made from Elderberry it definitely has a distinct flavor and when mixed with mint makes the vile concoction HAL calls the Mariner Cocktail. IMHO it’s the most disgusting drink I have ever had. 

Oops, all this time I thought it was gin! I stand corrected.

34 minutes ago, Real NHDOC said:

Just for clarity, St. Germaine is an elderflower liqueur. I always found it to be somewhat mildly flavored - sweet and floral. But I'm sure it is not universally liked! 

1 hour ago, Himself said:

Still on board?  Gof Bless you.  She is a nice ship/ Are you getting to Bonaire this trip?

Hello Father! Yes, on board til Jan 14th. And luckily,  hopefully,  will dock in Bonaire tomorrow. Aruba was removed and that's OK by me. Wishing you well!

1 hour ago, Real NHDOC said:

I like it!😁

1 hour ago, Infi said:

When they first started distributing the cards in 2021, they were laminated and clearly recycled from cruise to cruise as people redeemed them. Apparently due to people keeping them to re-use on another cruise, the laminated cards ran out and ships started using paper cards.

Oooops! just found 6 laminated ones in our travel folder!

Mea Culpa!

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Overhead Fred said:

Just for clarity, St. Germaine is an elderflower liqueur. I always found it to be somewhat mildly flavored - sweet and floral. But I'm sure it is not universally liked! 

I stand corrected. And it’s really when they combine it with the mint in the Mariner’s cocktail that I find it to become objectionable. Back when they would only allow the coupon to be used for one I would ask for it on the rocks with no mint and it wasn’t that bad. But their original recipe is something that I just couldn’t stomach. And I have a high tolerance for drinking things that are hard to swallow!

Edited by Real NHDOC
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Hello Father! Yes, on board til Jan 14th. And luckily,  hopefully,  will dock in Bonaire tomorrow. Aruba was removed and that's OK by me. Wishing you well!

I agree.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
Posted (edited)

Funny story. We spent a month aboard Eurodam in February and received several mariner’s cocktail coupons. For part of the cruise we had purchased HIA so didn’t use them and saved them. Now aboard Nieuw Statendam and have already used a couple of the coupons without issue but the other night were told they would not be accepted in the ocean bar because they were marked as being from Eurodam and they now only accept coupons issued on this ship for this voyage only. 

Keep in mind there is nothing on them to the effect “only valid on ship/voyage marked” so to impose such a restriction seems unfair as they could easily have done this and we would have known that was a condition of the offer.

Since HAL is so inconsistent we just took them back and walked down to Billboard Onboard and there they were accepted without question. I plan to discuss it with the beverage manager aboard and suggest that if they plan to restrict the acceptance of the coupons to the ship and voyage that the coupons be rewritten to include that restriction.

If HAL values our loyalty so much why should it matter which ship or voyage we use the coupons on? After all, it is a perk we earned by continuing to give them our business. If I happened to pay for the HIA package why shouldn’t I be allowed to keep the perk for another cruise where I have not?  It’s not like I am counterfeiting them. And if it does matter to them then just print it on the coupon and don’t make it (yet another) inconsistently applied condition. 

Edited by Real NHDOC
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Real NHDOC said:

I plan to discuss it with the beverage manager aboard and suggest that if they plan to restrict the acceptance of the coupons to the ship and voyage that the coupons be rewritten to include that restriction.

I highly recommend you wait until after your last drink on the last night of the current cruise before you have that conversation. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, RuthC said:

I highly recommend you wait until after your last drink on the last night of the current cruise before you have that conversation. 😉

I don't remember if I posted or not, but on my last cruise - it ended just over a week ago - my "free mariner drink" coupon had the ship and sailing dates on it.  

• Thanks 1