The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday, January 14th, 2024

kazu

Still cool (21F) here, but with clear skies.  Should warm up a little with snow by Tuesday.  I had always assumed caesarian section was named after the birth of Caesar.  Looked it up and found it to be a myth.  With the advent of anesthesia and antibiotics in the 19th century, the procedure gained popularity.

Ray

• Like 13
  • Thanks 5

Greetings, everyone.

Many thanks to @0106 Tina for filling in for me.  I suspect this outage will go on for a while.  The engineers are “working diligently “ and technicians are “working quickly “ to resolve the issue, but after 28 hours it is still unknown if a crew has been assigned yet.  I suspect they don’t want to pay weekend rates and are waiting until Monday to address the issue.  Meanwhile, Spectrum has put me in for consideration for a credit on my bill if I qualify.  How nice of them.

hope everyone has a wonderful day!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 8

37 minutes ago, dfish said:

I suspect this outage will go on for a while.  The engineers are “working diligently “ and technicians are “working quickly “ to resolve the issue, but after 28 hours it is still unknown if a crew has been assigned yet.  I suspect they don’t want to pay weekend rates and are waiting until Monday to address the issue.  Meanwhile, Spectrum has put me in for consideration for a credit on my bill if I qualify.  How nice of them.

OMG Debbie 😱. I am so NOT impressed with your internet service.  I question the diligently and quickly with that time line.  Ours is more expensive in Canada but I’ve never been without that long.  I am so sorry for your ridiculous delay 😔 

4 hours ago, ger_77 said:

I'm sure the cold has turned my brain to ice, but I seriously just laughed out loud when I saw this and thought I should share it:

Doggies.jpg.eff6b9fca1524027b1673f51d3f6223f.jpg

OK, maybe it’s storm fatigue but I LOL at this one.  dogs only see in few colours so this is so spot one 🙂 

4 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

@kazu, I hope your elbow is feeling better and that the driveway can be successfully de iced. 

Thanks - driveway is de-iced for now.  there will be some black ice but I’ll get back out before it’s too dark and re de-ice.  ‘Sigh’.  

I wish I could say my elbow was better.  if I hadn’t already gone for the X-Rays I would say something is broken.  It works but it is so sore 😔 and is stiffening.  On the bright side, my shoulder is less sore.

2 hours ago, aliaschief said:

The fresh grilled fish luncheon is soon to begin.

How lovely 🙂 I remember our chef on the Westerdam getting fresh fish on our South Pacific ports and bbq’ing at the Lido (Remember those days? 😉).  it was so good.  enjoy 🙂 

Sounds like everything is set up beautifully 👍 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

A lot of deliveries require C-sections for success. I've never flown a kite, and no pet to dress up. I don't agree with the quote. The meal and drink sound good. Pass on the wine. I haven't been to Fanning Island. Interesting days in history.

The temp is 17F, with a wind chill of 6. This morning there was terrific winds and snow squalls that caused white-outs and trouble driving. Now the sun is out, so the snow has melted on the walkways. We didn't get that much snow. Things are the same with me. 4 hrs sleep. Lots of pain in the morning upon standing. I'm trying to do laundry, so the stairs to the basement are a challenge. And also taking the few holiday decorations down to store away.

@sailingdutchy Bon Voyage!

@StLouisCruisers Nice photos from today's port.

@kazu Thanks for starting us up today. I'm sorry your elbow is sore and stiff.

@rafinmd I hope you're feeling better today. Nice sunset.

@MISTER 67 I agree with you. The Super Bowl used to be in January, now it's in mid-February, when the weather is much worse, due to them stretching out the season.

@0106 Thanks for filling in for Debbie today.

@kochleffel I hope you start feeling better today.

@RMLincoln I hope you can safely get to DH's appointment.

@marshhawk I hope the house next door doesn't end up with frozen/burst pipes. Your work schedule is very confusing, at least to me, lol.

@smitty34877 I am sorry weekends are so hard without the aide. Great that family members are helping out with household matters. I had to laugh about your excitement for the teenager with cleaning tools in hand! I hope the hospice nurse will see Tana and can do something to make her more comfortable.

@summer slope Sorry to hear about your biopsy results.

@Haljo1935 That's really cold for Texas! And bad that your heat isn't working as it should. 

@dfish That's a long time to still be offline. I hope they credit you. Mine never does.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers to those Celebrating.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 8

2 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

Still cool (21F) here, but with clear skies.  Should warm up a little with snow by Tuesday.  I had always assumed caesarian section was named after the birth of Caesar.  Looked it up and found it to be a myth.  With the advent of anesthesia and antibiotics in the 19th century, the procedure gained popularity.

Ray

Maybe it should be called a Macduff section.

• Like 7
  • Haha 4

15 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

If you found luggage outside your door that wasn’t yours, would you just bring it in and keep it?

OMG - I’d just grab my cabin steward and return it so it gets to the rightful owner.

It actually happened to us one time.  Steward was bringing in luggage and after my thank you I said to him WAIT.  this is not hours.  I could see how the luggage tag could have been mis read.  Hand written and not clear numbers.  The bag was quickly delivered to the owners on embarkation day.

• Like 18

38 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

Not sure what that means.  The only Macduff I have heard of was the person who killed MacBeth.

Ray

• Like 6

7 hours ago, kochleffel said:

I see that squash has pushed its way into lasagna 😞 .

“What’s done cannot be undone.”

35 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

“Laugh to scorn the power of man, for none of woman born shall harm Macbeth”

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Good afternoon from a pleasant Quartzsite.  The temperature is 66F, and in the sun it's nice.  I may sit outside with my book later.  I wish more of the Dailyites had our weather instead of the storms moving through the US and Canada.  

This afternoon, I've been doing a little more work on our upcoming cruise.  I think I finally have everything printed except the luggage tags and the boarding passes.  The boarding passes will have to wait until we have a boarding time.

This morning we went for a drive-thru breakfast and then drove around some areas of town we hadn't gone through earlier.  There's not much to town, and it's unusual to find a new area.  Town is becoming crowded as the time for the big shows is closing in.  One of the big rock shows ends today.  Also, there was a crowd where the camels are staying.  They give camel rides, plus there are other activities to entertain people.  No, we are not going to ride on of the camels.  The person who sponsors the camel rides and other activities is using the proceeds to help improve the town.  This year, he is working to restore what is left of an old adobe cabin in town.

When we got back to our neighborhood, we decided to drive down the streets we've not done this year.  We have been surprised at how many people have not come this year.  It seems to be more than normal.  Several of the people on our street and other friends have reached an age or physical condition where making the journey south is no longer practical.

5 hours ago, tupper10 said:

Hello all and thanks for the daily. Yes to C sections and no to dressing up your pets except to protect them from the cold/heat.  I was lucky to never need a C section nor did my daughter and DIL but so glad they are available.

This winter has been horrible in Florida rainy and cold with very few warm and sunny days. Still we have nothing to complain about give the weather this year in other parts of the country and even Northern Fl.  I do feel bad for those who have to fly here to get on their cruises from FLL - the northern Caribbean has also not had great weather.   We are so glad that this year for our local cruise out of FLL we chose to go to the ABC islands. We don't even bother getting off the ship at HAL's private island the water is way too cold for us to swim in. 

My mother is having a lot of issues - and she gets so angry with me when I try to explain what is going on.  My mother still likes to be right 100% of the time even though her memory is going. I now just try to indulge her and I don't argue I just take care of the issue(s) since I am the one pretty much doing everything.  She just bounced all the checks she wrote these past 2 weeks by using a closed checking account - none of us knew she even had a check book from this account since it was my Dad's and he passed away over 10 years ago.  Just another thing on my plate to deal with.  And yes I am a joint account holder with her and I am supposed to write the checks. I do them all on line.   Oh well.    Any suggestions as to how to address these issues is welcome.

Today is another rainy cool Florida day. I am off to visit a friend who just moved to assisted living.  She has issues with walking and decided it was getting too hard to live in our community.  I am looking forward to seeing her.  

I hope that Tana is okay, that everyone gets their heat working, and that those who aren't feeling so great feel better soon.  Safe travels to all. 

I'm sorry you are having problems with your mother, and I wish there was some way to help.  All I can suggest, I'm sure you have already done, such as searching to make sure she doesn't have anymore checkbooks.

5 hours ago, cunnorl said:

Good Morning from a cool, rainy and windy day at the beach.

It is currently a very raw 61 degrees. I know, that is summer to most of you. Yesterday, shortly after posting, the sun came out, the sky was blue and warmed to mid 70`s. So we headed to the golf course and it was closed due to flooding ! Cant win!

Csections are a wonderful thing. Many babies and their Mothers would not have survived without it. Many people were flying kites on the beach yesterday. The Kite surfers were out in force on the river.

It is really too bad that the ships are unable to go into Fanning Island recently. It is really a unique place and I enjoyed it very much. 

Funny story- my sister lives in Massachusetts. She was at Lowes buying potting soil, planters, etc, everyone else had shovels, salt etc. This guy looks at her and said what planet do you live on? LOL. She said the planet of make-believe!

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

Charlene, I'm sorry you were not able to take advantage of the good weather and play golf yesterday.  I loved your sister's answer about her purchases.

3 hours ago, dfish said:

Greetings, everyone.

Many thanks to @0106 Tina for filling in for me.  I suspect this outage will go on for a while.  The engineers are “working diligently “ and technicians are “working quickly “ to resolve the issue, but after 28 hours it is still unknown if a crew has been assigned yet.  I suspect they don’t want to pay weekend rates and are waiting until Monday to address the issue.  Meanwhile, Spectrum has put me in for consideration for a credit on my bill if I qualify.  How nice of them.

hope everyone has a wonderful day!

Debbie, after all this time, you deserve a credit on your Spectrum account.

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

A lot of deliveries require C-sections for success. I've never flown a kite, and no pet to dress up. I don't agree with the quote. The meal and drink sound good. Pass on the wine. I haven't been to Fanning Island. Interesting days in history.

The temp is 17F, with a wind chill of 6. This morning there was terrific winds and snow squalls that caused white-outs and trouble driving. Now the sun is out, so the snow has melted on the walkways. We didn't get that much snow. Things are the same with me. 4 hrs sleep. Lots of pain in the morning upon standing. I'm trying to do laundry, so the stairs to the basement are a challenge. And also taking the few holiday decorations down to store away.

@sailingdutchy Bon Voyage!

@StLouisCruisers Nice photos from today's port.

@kazu Thanks for starting us up today. I'm sorry your elbow is sore and stiff.

@rafinmd I hope you're feeling better today. Nice sunset.

@MISTER 67 I agree with you. The Super Bowl used to be in January, now it's in mid-February, when the weather is much worse, due to them stretching out the season.

@0106 Thanks for filling in for Debbie today.

@kochleffel I hope you start feeling better today.

@RMLincoln I hope you can safely get to DH's appointment.

@marshhawk I hope the house next door doesn't end up with frozen/burst pipes. Your work schedule is very confusing, at least to me, lol.

@smitty34877 I am sorry weekends are so hard without the aide. Great that family members are helping out with household matters. I had to laugh about your excitement for the teenager with cleaning tools in hand! I hope the hospice nurse will see Tana and can do something to make her more comfortable.

@summer slope Sorry to hear about your biopsy results.

@Haljo1935 That's really cold for Texas! And bad that your heat isn't working as it should. 

@dfish That's a long time to still be offline. I hope they credit you. Mine never does.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers to those Celebrating.

Vanessa, I was hoping you'd get some extra sleep now.  Be careful on the stairs to the basement.

1 hour ago, kochleffel said:

I meant to post this earlier. It was distributed on the day after embarkation.

IMG_0067.thumb.jpeg.6fd37697bdcded511ef5cd79b5dabde2.jpeg

If you found luggage outside your door that wasn’t yours, would you just bring it in and keep it?

We've seen this happen on other ships.  How people can keep luggage that obviously is not theirs is beyond me.

Lenda

• Like 19

OK, can someone much brighter than I am please explain why this afternoon when we are experiencing an outside temperature of -1 degree F (wind chill -19) there was a robin perched on the tree just outside our living room window?  What does the robin know that we don't?

• Like 16

YES!  Internet is back on!  About time!

For fun this morning, Sue locked her bedroom door and we couldn't get it open.  It didn't have a little hole in the center of the knob like most indoor locks have.  It required a key.  We don't have one.  We tried the credit card, the screwdriver, the hex wrenches, and a hammer.  We couldn't take the hinges off as they were on the inside of the door.  She finally drilled out the lock with our handheld cordless drill.  So, now we need to get a new doorknob.  I'm getting one for my bedroom as well as it has the same kind of locking mechanism on it.  You get desperate for things to do when you don't have internet or TV.  

@arzz Robins don't fly south.  They stay put.  We have robins and cardinals.  The cardinals are beautiful against the snow.

• Like 21
  • Haha 2

Once again it is a very late 'Good Evening' from Cork.

After our 'cold spell' earlier in the week, we have almost melted from the comparative warmth over the weekend.  BBBBut, the met service has issued an ice, fog and snow warning for most of the country from Tuesday evening until Friday. Time to break out the thermal underwear.

Thanks to everyone for the daily, and,

have a great day, everyone. 

• Like 19

1 hour ago, 0106 said:

“What’s done cannot be undone.”

“Laugh to scorn the power of man, for none of woman born shall harm Macbeth”

Thanks for that.  Guess that is what happens when you have an engineering rather than a classical education.  The technical side of me would think either natural birth or c-section would qualify as "of woman born", but that is why I never play trivia on a cruise.

Ray

• Like 13

1 hour ago, dfish said:

YES!  Internet is back on!  About time!

For fun this morning, Sue locked her bedroom door and we couldn't get it open.  It didn't have a little hole in the center of the knob like most indoor locks have.  It required a key.  We don't have one.  We tried the credit card, the screwdriver, the hex wrenches, and a hammer.  We couldn't take the hinges off as they were on the inside of the door.  She finally drilled out the lock with our handheld cordless drill.  So, now we need to get a new doorknob.  I'm getting one for my bedroom as well as it has the same kind of locking mechanism on it.  You get desperate for things to do when you don't have internet or TV.  

@arzz Robins don't fly south.  They stay put.  We have robins and cardinals.  The cardinals are beautiful against the snow.

That is good news, Debbie, and about time.  I'm sirprised they hadthat type of lock on a bedroom door.  I bet the former owners changed them.  For safety, you would need a way to get into the room.  Next time, if there is a next time, without internet or tv, why not try a good book instead.

38 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

Thanks for that.  Guess that is what happens when you have an engineering rather than a classical education.  The technical side of me would think either natural birth or c-section would qualify as "of woman born", but that is why I never play trivia on a cruise.

Ray

Ray, with your technical, engineering education, you would be an asset on a trivia team, especially with the scientific type questions.  A good triva team will have a mix of people with knowledge in different areas, plus one member with a head full of useless information.

Lenda

• Like 15

18 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

That is good news, Debbie, and about time.  I'm sirprised they hadthat type of lock on a bedroom door.  I bet the former owners changed them.  For safety, you would need a way to get into the room.  Next time, if there is a next time, without internet or tv, why not try a good book instead.

Ray, with your technical, engineering education, you would be an asset on a trivia team, especially with the scientific type questions.  A good trivia team will have a mix of people with knowledge in different areas, plus one member with a head full of useless information.

Lenda

Thanks for the vote of confidence.  A problem I have is that I tend to over think a problem.  When I was a student in an advanced Navy electronics school I got the nickname "Nit (my last name) for some of the questions I asked the instructor.  Wasn't all bad, as they asked me to stay on as an instructor and then promoted me to Warrant Officer, so it worked out in the end.

Ray

• Like 14

Thank you Debbie @dfish.  I didn't know that about robins as we usually don't see them until March or so.  I suppose they usually hunker in somewhere. 

Glad your internet is back.  Ours was out for several hours a few days ago and without internet and cable it sort of felt like part of an appendage was gone. Possibly I spend too much time on the internet ….

• Like 9

2 hours ago, arzz said:

OK, can someone much brighter than I am please explain why this afternoon when we are experiencing an outside temperature of -1 degree F (wind chill -19) there was a robin perched on the tree just outside our living room window?  What does the robin know that we don't?

We take the optimistic side here that it is a sign of spring coming. it usually is. I hope you did the robins robin good luck 😉 

Robins at least,  most don’t migrate but they don’t come out until it warms up.  

we don’t see them here in the winter at all - not even when it warms up - but when spring approaches there is always a huge excitement when we see them.

• Like 13

The American robin of the Northeast is classed as migratory--its scientific name is Turdus migratorius, migratory thrush--but its winter range and breeding range substantially overlap. There is reason to think that it is becoming less migratory.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5

Making Ruebens tonight.  I told DH last night he was taking me out to breakfast, well at 2 I had lunch. So I bought breakfast food for later this week...starting tomorrow.

@JazzyV My work schedule is a 5 hour day if I work for one campaign or a 7-8 hour day if I work both.  One of the bosses has a set schedule, we work 9:30-12:30 , or 5:30-8:30, etc.  the other boss lets us pick our hours we work based around boss 1.  If I only work for boss 2 then I start when I want, and finish when I want.  The trick is, knowing what hours I will reach most people.  I am trying to sell. The new generation lives by cell phone, they will answer it no matter what they are doing.  So if I call during work hours, I get "I cant talk now, I'm at work!"  If they are older they have 2 phones, one home phone and their personal voice mail..ie. cell phone.  If they are rich, they have at least three numbers if it is a family of two.  They answer none of them. I just have to figure out when people will answer.  Early morning for the seniors (cause we cant sleep late) and after dinner for the young ones.  

This week the company decided that we should all adhere to California laws.  So after 3 hours, I have to take a break.  If I work more than 5 at a stretch, then i have to either tell them i will eat lunch, or not eat lunch and email them a waiver for every day.  If I do a split shift, work three hours in the morning, and two hours at night, I wont have to (hopefully) have to send in anything.  We will get trained on Thursday on how to do this.  DH and I think that if we have to play by California law, they should pay us the California pay. Because it's 4 dollars more than what we get paid.  We also dont see our commissions as they are not posted separately in our paycheck, the show as part of our salary, because they are taxed differently and this way they can hide the commission.  and bonuses.  

We get huge flocks of red winged blackbirds in the winter. They eat the grubs in the yards.  Looks like this year, our yard is not providing any food.  Even out dirt looks dead.  Last week the blackbirds were in the yard across the street, and then I saw about 20 robins.  I thought that was weird.   Have not seen them in this area during the winter before.

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Good Evening Everyone!

Just checking in, looks like several have had "weather adventures" lately!  We took a quick trip down to the Oregon coast for the high tides (King tides).  With the extra high tides and winter storms it makes for some pretty dramatic waves.  When we left we had a snowstorm, but the coast was clear, when we returned home we had to head home early to avoid snow and ice storms that came in!  When we got home Friday it was 3 degrees and hasn't been above 15 degrees since!  The joys of winter travel.

While in Oregon the weather was chilly, but tolerable to be out walking.  I was able to get some pretty nice photos, and enjoyed being out walking even with a bit of salt spray on my glasses!

Below is a picture of the wave action up against the road, it actually goes over the road at times (Depoe Bay, OR)!  The other picture the spray came up against the rocks but was calm looking out to the ocean.  Quick trip but we enjoyed it.

Take care

Denise

IMG_5319.jpg

IMG_5275(1).jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 6

3 hours ago, arzz said:

Robin is probably drunk!  Here the robins are gorging themselves on the berries that froze overnight and are now alcoholic.  Lots of robins and other small birds, juncos, etc. eating berries suddenly palatable.  

• Like 7
  • Haha 6

Good cold evening. Now it’s snow starting tomorrow evening and continuing thru Tuesday night. Up to 3 inches .

No, I didn’t try to dress up my cats today because I tried it once and it wasn’t pretty.

I hope everyone has a good evening.

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

That is good news, Debbie, and about time.  I'm sirprised they had that type of lock on a bedroom door.  I bet the former owners changed them.  For safety, you would need a way to get into the room.  Next time, if there is a next time, without internet or tv, why not try a good book instead.

I did read a book and a half.  I usually don't turn on the TV until evening when I want to relax and engage in mindless entertainment.  Problem is all my books are on my Kindle and I couldn't download them without internet.  My biggest problem is that I missed two Zoom meetings.  I was supposed to lead one of them.  

Yesterday we had the movie marathon because we like to do that every once in a while.  It was the perfect day for it as we weren't going out due to the storm.  We had a fire on and watched our movies.  Had popcorn for dinner.   It turned out to be a good day.

• Like 13