Permanent change to lounge access?

7 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

Which is why I noted probably not during the happy hours.  And why I asked is it really relaxing being that crowded supposedly?

I don’t think anyone was implying it was relaxing “in a quiet way” at night (well, after 9pm it is) but some people do enjoy meeting up and chatting with friends, old and new, over drinks without a background band. How easy it is to that is very dependent on the ship and itinerary. 

Different people enjoy different venues which is fine. We often take snacks out to the overflow and last sailing hardly used it at all during HH because we enjoyed live music elsewhere.

Edited by c-leg5

Just now, c-leg5 said:

I don’t think anyone was implying it was relaxing “in a quiet way” at night (well, after 9pm it is) but some people do enjoy meeting up and chatting with friends, old and new, over drinks without a background band. How easy it is to that is very dependent on the ship and itinerary. 

That makes sense.  It IS hard to shout and hear in some areas!  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

If the lounge is so crowded during happy hour, and we are given our vouchers, why don't people use them elsewhere and relax elsewhere?  Is it the appetizers?  If weather is crappy, I can see going there for a place to sit other than one's room.  My question is solely for the evening hours during happy hour.  

And my reply was during the CAS HH. I can't speak for others but for us it's personal preference. We have always enjoyed the lounge (will not wavier from that) pre and post vouchers. We like the snack, but since we eat early a couple pieces of cheese to go with our pre-supper drinks is usually all we have. The VCL would be our first choice if we didn't go to the CL. We also like the Schooner Bar, but trying to get a seat in there for a pre supper drinks (5 to 6PM) is hard at times. Never quiet. As far as the CL being crowed during the CAS HH a lot depends on the class of ship (this is the biggest factor), time of evening, itinerary and time of year. We only cruise on the Radiance class, Voyager class and Freedom class ships.  What's your experiences been with the DL, now CL? 

Edited by doghog
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

If the lounge is so crowded during happy hour, and we are given our vouchers, why don't people use them elsewhere and relax elsewhere?  Is it the appetizers?  If weather is crappy, I can see going there for a place to sit other than one's room.  My question is solely for the evening hours during happy hour.  

It all depends on the cruise.  On many cruises, the bars are taken over by trivia (Schooner Bar) or very loud bands (Boleros).  

My wish is a quiet place to have a pre-dinner drink and chat with friends.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, doghog said:

And my reply was during the CAS HH. I can't speak for others but for us it's personal preference. We have always enjoyed the lounge (will not wavier from that) pre and post vouchers. We like the snack, but since we eat early a couple pieces of cheese to go with our pre-supper drinks is usually all we have. The VCL would be our first choice if we didn't go to the CL. We also like the Schooner Bar, but trying to get a seat in there for a pre supper drinks (5 to 6PM) is hard at times. Never quiet. As far as the CL being crowed during the CAS HH a lot depends on the class of ship (this is the biggest factor), time of evening, itinerary and time of year. We only cruise on the Radiance class, Voyager class and Freedom class ships.  What's your experiences been with the DL, now CL? 

My experience 3 weeks on harmony when the keep out diamonds in effect. The pinnacles grabbed at least 2/3 of the chairs and dragged them into a huge circle. 2 pinnacle couples sat at a regular table where you first come in, the rest sat in a circle. It was clear D+ arent invited to the circle of chairs. Never saw this before, but I'm used to pinnacles being in the suite lounge. If this is how they act no surprise they were thrown out.

I rarely eat any of the snacks and just kinda circled thru. I often did stop in the morning for coffee, but rarely snacks. My early dinner was at 5 pm so I didnt go every night. More amusing than anything. One of the Bella cruisers I'd meet on bella1 told me in a hoity voice, she had never meet me before when I sat down and said hello, she had left her seat in the circle to say hello to 2 other friends from bella1 and I hadnt realized she was waiting for them. After sying hello she went back to her seat in the circle. 

I'm not very social so not surprised someone didnt remember me. I did think it was clear they were like a club, needed a pin to join. Odd is how I'd describe it. Luckily I dont care about those snacks. I'm at 503 pts, need to book another 14 days and what I've booked I'll be one too lololol. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

My experience 3 weeks on harmony when the keep out diamonds in effect. The pinnacles grabbed at least 2/3 of the chairs and dragged them into a huge circle. 2 pinnacle couples sat at a regular table where you first come in, the rest sat in a circle. It was clear D+ arent invited to the circle of chairs. Never saw this before, but I'm used to pinnacles being in the suite lounge. If this is how they act no surprise they were thrown out.

I rarely eat any of the snacks and just kinda circled thru. I often did stop in the morning for coffee, but rarely snacks. My early dinner was at 5 pm so I didnt go every night. More amusing than anything. One of the Bella cruisers I'd meet on bella1 told me in a hoity voice, she had never meet me before when I sat down and said hello, she had left her seat in the circle to say hello to 2 other friends from bella1 and I hadnt realized she was waiting for them. After sying hello she went back to her seat in the circle. 

I'm not very social so not surprised someone didnt remember me. I did think it was clear they were like a club, needed a pin to join. Odd is how I'd describe it. Luckily I dont care about those snacks. I'm at 503 pts, need to book another 14 days and what I've booked I'll be one too lololol. 

Bummer. We have never seen or experienced anything like that. I can honestly say I don't even know anyone's tier level. Don't care either. Never sailed that class of ship. We like the snacks and the selections always look tempting . We will always like the CL and our go to place for pre-supper drinks. 

9 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

We've been in suites from the start and in the concierge or suite lounge ever since.  I wouldn't say this is always how it happens, but I have seen it happen.  Suite people... not welcome.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, doghog said:

Bummer. We have never seen or experienced anything like that. I can honestly say I don't even know anyone's tier level. Don't care either. Never sailed that class of ship. We like the snacks and the selections always look tempting . We will always like the CL and our go to place for pre-supper drinks. 

We had over 100 pinnacles onboard, minus the 30 allowed in the suite lounge. 

I'd say the circle was at least 25 chairs. Didnt leave much seating for others. I didnt really care, just laughed to myself. Some friends made pinnacle and it takes 6 months to mail and they were worried about being accepted as a pinnacle before they got their pins. It was obvious.. and funny to me. I'm not sure how I'd feel sitting in a circle anyway, I'm  a non joiner.

4 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I'd say the circle was at least 25 chairs. Didnt leave much seating for others. I didnt really care, just laughed to myself. Some friends made pinnacle and it takes 6 months to mail and they were worried about being accepted as a pinnacle before they got their pins. It was obvious.. and funny to me. I'm not sure how I'd feel sitting in a circle anyway, I'm  a non joiner.

Right or wrong, I also believe in first come first serve. Just happen to be Pinnacles that time. Diamond, Diamond + could have done exactly the same thing you saw/experienced. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I don’t disagree with any of what you described but I also think it is predominantly a “Galveston thing”. We have never seen it on sailings elsewhere and it is not as obvious on smaller ships out of Galveston.

I think it has more to do with the circle of regular cruisers out of Galveston than Pinnacles in general. I am surprised you are only just noticing this, since it is also your local port. This behavior has been occurring for at least the last 10+ years as the group progressed through Diamond, Diamond+ etc. For a while some did oscillate between suite and Diamond lounge and obviously now that isn’t as easy.

We eat later and so sometimes I am reading in the Diamond Lounge late afternoon with a coffee. Members of the circle begin to descend just before 4.30pm to take up their positions and you can feel the glares if you are sat in their prime real estate.

I am not sure your actual status is important, just whether you are a “member of the group” or not, although as I say most have reached that higher level now.

27 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Some Pinnacle do this but it's not like it's taught in Pinnacle school rather they do it because they are frequent cruisers who are trying not to sit alone with their partner.  They don't do it to exclude anyone intentionally, that is more of a reaction from folks like myself who don't normally look to participate in group sessions like this.  It doesn't bother me they do it, it's just not my thing, so I tend not to join in.  

I've been invited into the circle as a stranger so it's definitely not exclusionary by nature.  If anyone walked up to available chairs and introduced themselves or simply asked to join them I'm confident they would welcome you regardless of your suite-ness or CAS level.   

In my neighborhood there are certain houses that tend to gather in someone's garage and before you know it there are several couples sitting around a table or in a circle in the same garage night after night or every several days.  It's very similar.  I'm not in their circle of garage friends but I'm pretty sure I could be if I wanted to be.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

I’m with you. I hate that pinnacle circle regardless if in the lounge or another venue.  I never sit there. A couple of times when the pinnacles had an evening lounge event, the chairs were already arranged in a circle (by staff) We left. 

And, I believe that moving those chairs and putting them in a large circle, excluding everyone else, and taking up lots of space, is a reason for Pinnacle removal from the suite lounge.  

It’s actions like you described, that cause me not to wear a Pinnacle pin. 
m

Edited by cruisegirl1
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

My friend sent me this picture last night. It is happy hour on Rhapsody in the  Crown lounge. She was the only one in there. 

Exactly why making the decision prior to the cruise based on the number of D, D+ and Ps booked shouldn't  be the guideline who gets to use the CL during HH. Should be first come first served. 

1 hour ago, doghog said:

Some of us don't judge all by the actions of others. Pin or not. 

On vacation, on a cruise, if you don't judge/access someone based on their actions, what in the world do you suggest?  In a similar scenario, do you defend a confirmed chair hog, being that 'one person' that feels they may have fallen overboard and thus unable to return to the pool?

Edited by bucfan2
  • Haha 1

I have heard that "chair circle" referred to as "holding court" (meaning Royal court, not legal court).  It is, indeed, an interesting phenomenon....and it is most definitely NOT exclusive to Galveston.  I see it often in the Suites' Lounge.  I have not yet seen it in the CL b/c I haven't yet been on a sailing where the Pinns are excluded from the SL.

We have been invited into the "Court" (a lady in waiting, I'm guessing) and it is nice to be "included" but it is not something that I seek out.  We are not ones to frequent any of the loyalty lounges during "Happy Hour" unless there is a reason for us to be there (prearranged meet-up, for example).  I almost exclusively use the lounge (whichever one I can go to) for coffee in the morning.  If I have business with the Concierge I may come in during the afternoon but frankly, we stay away in the evenings....especially on sailings where this behavior is prevalent.  Don't get me wrong.  Those Pinns could not have been nicer to us.  They are truly lovely people...but I do find that circle to be somewhat exclusive of others and I have seen the Suites' Concierge roll his/her eyes, presumably at the thought of having to drag all of that furniture back to its "home".  On the few occasions when we have been at court, we try and move our chairs back but sometimes the court is in full session when we leave so it's not possible.

I truly do not believe that the Court is intended to make anyone feel excluded...but it unfortunately does have that undertone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RFerrington said:

.  It is, indeed, an interesting phenomenon....and it is most definitely NOT exclusive to Galveston.  I see it often in the Suites' Lounge

It may well be not exclusive to Galveston but there is definitely a “clique” phenomenon from Galveston that I haven’t witnessed elsewhere - Florida, California, TA’s. I have heard  there is something similar amongst regulars from Bayonne but I have only sailed into there once on a repositioning ( from Galveston) not a regular sailing so cannot really say if that is true.

I may notice it more because Galveston is my local drive-to port, therefore the vast majority of my sailings are from there and so maybe I notice the same faces more?

However,  I can say the phenomenon existed long before Pinnacles! The circle have just become Pinnacles over time.

I haven’t witnessed it on suite lounges I have been in because most were not conducive to the chair circle formation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RFerrington said:

I truly do not believe that the Court is intended to make anyone feel excluded...but it unfortunately does have that undertone.

I think you are probably correct. 

I think they are just a large group of like-minded cruisers that know each other and therefore it is difficult to infiltrate them on mass. They are approachable away from the group syndrome. 

They also tend to usurp the concierge services.

Edited by c-leg5
  • Like 1

Someone off harmony today posted this, so it's still going on on harmony. Just too many high level loyalty and good prices ot of texas. Shes getting lots of responses. I think on my cruise was close to 1300 loyalty pts was the cut off. 

"Just off the Harmony.  1100 points didn't make you a "Top Tier Pinnacle".  No Pinnacle Lounge, Coastal Kitchen or Sun deck access.  All the Diamonds were kicked out of the Crown Lounge too."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Someone off harmony today posted this, so it's still going on on harmony. Just too many high level loyalty and good prices ot of texas. Shes getting lots of responses. I think on my cruise was close to 1300 loyalty pts was the cut off. 

"Just off the Harmony.  1100 points didn't make you a "Top Tier Pinnacle".  No Pinnacle Lounge, Coastal Kitchen or Sun deck access.  All the Diamonds were kicked out of the Crown Lounge too."

My personal thoughts are anything less than 1,400 or double pin as some call it, is basically junior pinnacle level. 

I think Royal avoids using a point level as the threshold since then it becomes a new level in an already too-many-levels loyalty program.  I think they are trying to use top X such as top 30 regardless what their actual points tally is.  

Hi,

Saw a circle of chairs once back in 2016 in the DL on the Indy out of Southampton on a 14 nighter around the med.

Some old guy (not sure if he was D, D+ or Pin) was re-arranging just about all the chairs he could get his hands on into a circle leaving very few chairs left for anyone not joining his group. All this was done whilst the staff watched on. I did ask the staff why they don't stop this and I was told that basically they daren't.

I know if I ran a bar then anyone doing this would be made to stop and I wouldn't care who they were or how much they were worth. 

On the Anthem back in 2019 out of NJ there was a woman who brought here knitting into the DL, (well I say her knitting, it looked like she had enough material to make new uniforms for the entire crew"!), She took up about 8 seats with this during the afternoon and would not remove it when folks started arriving for HH. She did remove it all when her friends turned up. Again watched by staff and again I was told they daren't say anything.

Lastly, on some sailing we have been greeted with a couple that sit facing the door giving you the evil look up and down. My wife does not like this sort of thing, it's like being judged and doesn't like going to the HH as a result. I, on the other hand, will not be put off by any of the bad behaviour listed above.

However, due to the voucher system, and on some ships, due to the location of the CL (which may be out of the way of where we are heading at that time), we may only go to HH once or twice per cruise now. We do, however, sometimes pop in after breakfast for a coffee and some cakes and again for a coffee during the day.

I can sit and chat to just about anyone about anything. My wife, however, works in a call centre and deals with angry people every day, so when she's on her hols, she doesn't want to mingle with anyone all that much and doesn't like bad behaviour and will tell the people who behave badly just what she thinks of them - so its probably best she stays away..

Oh yes, I too have changed the beans and emptied the machines on many occasions when no staff are present and everyone is moaning that the machine is broke. The milk I think is kept locked away so can't do much about that. Also, sometimes the only beans available are decaf too. I have watched people put them into the wrong side of the machine in error on a few occasions too. 

Mick.

I saw this! A few years ago (2020, right before the Covid shutdown) we were in a suite on Liberty of the Seas sailing out of Galveston. A group of Pinnacles came into the suite lounge every night and sat in their circle. They weren't there during the early pre-dinner rush but they were there after dinner. Most live nearby in Texas and sail out of Galveston a lot, often several weeks at a time. Seems like a pretty neat club. 

17 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I’ve seen that on Harmony, too.  I was kind of surprised the first time I saw it.