Upgrade my cabin?

shanna135

4 hours ago, Abercrombie2019 said:

I think that these are all good suggestions, and I would agree that it would be safe to follow this advice - but the best room that I have ever stayed in was on Emerald Deck (Regal Princess), and it was directly above Crooners.  We never noticed any noise from Crooners, but that might have been because we were siting at the bar a lot of the time. 🍸😉

We've stayed above Crooners and Wheelhouse bar, but never noticed any music at night because we are night owls and not in the cabin until very late.

When you put a bid on different types of cabins.  I was maybe going to bid on 3 different levels of upgraded cabins.  How does that work?  You just take the first accepted bid or can you wait to see what happens on the other bids?  Thanks

Is your cruise on March 7th?  That means that bidding has already been open for quite some time. I am not sure how that would affect your chances at getting a better cabin.   The website is showing that March 7th on Enchanted is 'sold out'.

Are you seeing the ability, invitations to bid, for these better categories?

I don't know what kind of personal recommendations we can make.

But, for me...  10 days/nights in a small inside cabin...  I wouldn't want to do that.

Do you have you days onshore planned?

Are you booking excursions?

Edited by Wishing on a star

Hi, Everyone!

We recently bid for an upgrade, and made the lowest bid allowed for the room type we wanted since we were perfectly fine keeping the room we were originally assigned.  Imagine our joy when our bid was accepted ... and they put us in a great location ... and it's over 30 days before we sail. So things worked out nicely for us ... at least this time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Sorry...not following.  What are you saying is not true?  You seem to be discussing an *accepted* bid.  I was talking about not knowing if they *don't* accept a bid...there's no notification.

This is not true...I was notified 2 weeks before my cruise that my bid was NOT accepted...

2 hours ago, shanna135 said:

When you put a bid on different types of cabins.  I was maybe going to bid on 3 different levels of upgraded cabins.  How does that work?  You just take the first accepted bid or can you wait to see what happens on the other bids?  Thanks

The bidding company will decide which bid (if any) will be accepted. You don't get a choice on which is accepted. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Sorry...not following.  What are you saying is not true?  You seem to be discussing an *accepted* bid.  I was talking about not knowing if they *don't* accept a bid...there's no notification.

We get notified via email when a bid is not accepted. 

3 hours ago, gardengalaz said:

Hi, Everyone!

We recently bid for an upgrade, and made the lowest bid allowed for the room type we wanted since we were perfectly fine keeping the room we were originally assigned.  Imagine our joy when our bid was accepted ... and they put us in a great location ... and it's over 30 days before we sail. So things worked out nicely for us ... at least this time.

Congrats!  We just won a bid on a mini suite $110 pp/Discovery, nice surprise.

Shanna,  if they system will allow you to 'bid', on these categories...  Then you can put in your bid.  You can bid the lowest, or try bidding higher to increase your odds....

The thing is,  the number of available cabins in each of these categories will probably be what increases your odds, and determines which of your bids could be accepted.

I believe that the 'system' might look at how much you paid, increased by the amount of your bid, and then determines by the actual total fare/revenue that they will get for that category of cabin, as it determines which bids to accept.

If you booked thru Princess, and they have your email and everything is working, you could get an email about your bid.    If you booked thru a TA, it might be possible that this would go to your TA, and you might not be notified right away.

Many report that they check their cruise booking online, and see the change in their cabin, even before that notification comes thru.

I understand that,  if your bid is accepted, and they assign the new cabin, then you are pretty much locked in..  Especially if the cruise is sold out, I doubt that there would be any other available cabins in your new category to move another one.  Example:  they assign you a Balcony cabin that is far forward, over a loud venue, etc...  You might not be able to move to any other Balcony.

Edited by Wishing on a star

6 hours ago, phabric said:

Was it $110/pp per day or $110 total per person?

The bids placed under the bidding process are per person for the total length of the cruise.  It is not a per day amount.

On 2/9/2024 at 3:03 AM, Palo4911 said:

This is not true...I was notified 2 weeks before my cruise that my bid was NOT accepted...

A new(ish) strategy to try to get people to up their bids.

On other lines they try it with "you have been outbid"

Only for people to leave it on the table and get upgraded a bit later.

On 2/8/2024 at 4:57 PM, Rick&Jeannie said:

^^^^^ This.  You are NOT notified if your bid is not accepted...so you really don't know when to potentially up your bid.  The *absolute* guaranteed way to do an upgrade is to have your TA do it.  (I don't recall if you booked with a TA....)  Or, conceivably you could contact a CVP.

Yes you are notified “sometimes” if your bid was not accepted.  I was notified 1 day before sailing, that mine was NOT accepted.  

• Like 1

Without sounding clueless...ok, I will, how and what are these "bids" to get an upgrade?  It's been several years since we were on our last cruise and I never remember hearing about bidding for an upgrade.  I do remember actually getting an upgrade without even asking once - from a porthole to a balcony but I thought it was just random luck.  We aren't sailing until next February but I'd like to know the process for the bidding please...

• Like 1

I've only ever had inside cabins when I've cruised. They were fine for a 4-7 day cruise. It's not like we were in there very often.

Our next cruise is 16 nights and has as many sea days as port days and is going through the Panama Canal so we got a balcony cabin. I guess we'll see if it was worth the extra $$ and if we then become balcony-only people. 😄 

7 hours ago, willcruiseanythyme said:

Without sounding clueless...ok, I will, how and what are these "bids" to get an upgrade?  It's been several years since we were on our last cruise and I never remember hearing about bidding for an upgrade.  I do remember actually getting an upgrade without even asking once - from a porthole to a balcony but I thought it was just random luck.  We aren't sailing until next February but I'd like to know the process for the bidding please...

The bidding process just started a year or 2 ago (sorry not positive which year) & changed slightly after it originally started.  Currently there is a chart that shows when you can start bidding IF you can bid that starts around final payment date (go to the Princess site to find it).  When you can bid you input your last name & booking # then upgrade options show for you.  Not all cabin categories get offered to you (in my experience) so if you are in an inside you probably won't be offered a suite upgrade.  There is a minimum bid per person (NOT per day) & you can bid up from the minimum.  There is a meter that says poor to better as you decide on your bid amount.  You must input a credit card & if your bid is accepted you will automatically be charged & a new cabin assigned.  You do not get a choice in cabin.  You possibly could request a different cabin if there was one in the same category still available but that hasn't been confirmed by anyone.  There also appears to be a new facet where they contact people by email with a counter offer

3 hours ago, happy42cruise said:

The bidding process just started a year or 2 ago (sorry not positive which year) & changed slightly after it originally started.  Currently there is a chart that shows when you can start bidding IF you can bid that starts around final payment date (go to the Princess site to find it).  When you can bid you input your last name & booking # then upgrade options show for you.  Not all cabin categories get offered to you (in my experience) so if you are in an inside you probably won't be offered a suite upgrade.  There is a minimum bid per person (NOT per day) & you can bid up from the minimum.  There is a meter that says poor to better as you decide on your bid amount.  You must input a credit card & if your bid is accepted you will automatically be charged & a new cabin assigned.  You do not get a choice in cabin.  You possibly could request a different cabin if there was one in the same category still available but that hasn't been confirmed by anyone.  There also appears to be a new facet where they contact people by email with a counter offer

One additional piece of information that I realized is that in order to be eligible to bid (and get the bid to upgrade emails) is that you have to have the 'Receive Offers and News' section of your Profile in My Princess online to Yes. I had mine set to No about a year ago when I wanted to look at possibly upgrading and the system kept telling me I wasn't eligible to bid. Once I changed my Profile to Yes t accept offers and news emails, I was able to make a bid and also received the emails indicating I could bid. 

image.thumb.png.11b248b38c9eb50c664b103dbc2f2e6e.png

On 2/8/2024 at 12:29 PM, shanna135 said:

Me again.  Sorry  Only have an interior cabin for our first cruise on the 7th out of FLL.  Learning about bidding for an upgrade.  Any suggestions for our 10 day cruise in the eastern Caribbean.  Thanks

Hi Shanna!

I'm platinum on Princess and I’ve never done the bidding process- good question to ask! 
my husband and I generally pick an inside room.  1) Cost. I want to cruise often- so I can do more than 1 cruise a year if I want to.  2) we really only are in our room to sleep and change.  We can always find a place inside or on a deck that suits our mood. 3) SLEEP. I often was just finishing a long semester teaching and just wanted to SLEEP a bit on vacation.  I sleep so good in an inside room.  And having the tv on the bridge view helped to get me up.

i have had ocean view & balconies. I did enjoy them, but I got them because I was in Alaska or the Panama Canal. 

you will have an AWESOME TIME no matter what you choose! The first cruise my sister in law did she booked an inside room- she liked it.  She admitted that she was glad on a longer cruise since it took her 4 days to learn the ship & get over FOMO back home.

So bid if you want and have an AMAZING time!! 😊

Gabrielle 

I have stayed in all types of cabins from inside to expansive aft suite.  Here are some of the things I have learned.

1. An inside cabin is cozy and allows for very good sleeping (if you choose the right location).

2. I bring a tropical printed shower curtain and hang it on the wall with magnets. Makes my own "window". Plus you can use the TV as stated earlier.

3. The money I save is used to splurge on activities, since I am not in my cabin most of the time on certain itineraries.

4. I found a regular balcony cabin to be good for certain itineraries. Upgrading to a mini-suite was not worth it IMHO.

5. Am obstructed window or balcony is a good choice between needs and wants. $$$$. 

6. Most important to choose location of your room. I would not want a guarantee cabin.

7. Splurge on the expensive suite for special occasions.

• Like 1

If your bid was excepted now soon were you notified? Princess says that It could only be 2 days before the cruise. 

I’m curious as to how soon people found out that their bid was excepted. 

Thanks!

Tom😀👍

On 2/8/2024 at 10:28 AM, Rick&Jeannie said:

Let me preface this by saying that we have never stayed in an inside cabin...so I can't say anything first-hand in regards to that.  But, we just totally enjoy being able to sit out on the balcony and "watch the world go by".  Ever since our very first cruise on Carnival (ocean view cabin) we have only booked either balcony or mini-suite.  As @startedwithamouse asks...what is most important to you?  Sometimes people are very cost-conscious on a first cruise.  If this is not so much of an issue, I suspect that you would enjoy at the minimum a balcony cabin...especially for a Caribbean cruise. (Just my 2 cents worth!)

We always have had a balcony for the natural light and fresh air. ….and rarely do we sit out there for extended periods of time. Going in and out of port from your own balcony, sometimes in PM with pajamas….is the best.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, trbarton said:

If your bid was excepted now soon were you notified? Princess says that It could only be 2 days before the cruise. 

I’m curious as to how soon people found out that their bid was excepted. 

Thanks!

Tom😀👍

This time about 12 days out.  Last cruise 2 days out.  

16 hours ago, Cruisintimer said:

This time about 12 days out.  Last cruise 2 days out.  

Thanks for your reply. I’ll just keep my fingers crossed & hope it’s sooner than later. My bid is interesting since when I made my bid there was no Mini Suites available/for sale. My agent explained that Princess holds some stateroom’s back so I’ll see what happens. 

Tom😀