Share holder benefit

crompton21

I haven't needed to ask  it has always been there on account so have not really needed to ask .Only asked this last time to make sure stockperks had worked when I payed balance for my May cruise this year so I don't need to change my TA when she has helped me on many occasions with transfers and cancellations due to health ,covid ,etc

and gives very good advise  ,and we may not even have to worry if they take this share perk off us 

Emailed stockperks about obc after 31st July their reply was that given the investment P and 0 had made with stockperks they would have thought they would continue from May onwards .We will see.

• Like 2

My holding is through Hargreaves Lansdown and they apply (if requested) direct to Carnival. I wonder if they will continue if they now have to deal with Stockperks. Next cruise not until August so I’ll call nearer the time to ask. Maybe someone might also deal throuGh HL and know the answer. 

In many an untrained eye and some comments above, is it worth buying shares now given the uncertainty of claiming OBC in future.

I have a P&O two weeker in May, would this even come too soon to have any OBC for this cruise in time?

27 minutes ago, GSPG said:

is it worth buying shares now given the uncertainty of claiming OBC in future.

You should only buy shares, in any company, if you are either buying them for the long term or you are prepared to take a "hit" on them and only you can make that decision.

Depending on where/how you buy your shares you should be OK for a May sailing - from memory you have to apply at least three weeks pre cruise and as long as you have the required proof of ownership by then then you will be OK.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, GSPG said:

In many an untrained eye and some comments above, is it worth buying shares now given the uncertainty of claiming OBC in future.

I have a P&O two weeker in May, would this even come too soon to have any OBC for this cruise in time?

If you bought them now, you should be able to register for shareholder OBC for the May cruise, which needs to be submitted at least 3 weeks before your cruise.

But of course no one knows if the perk will continue after the end of July.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, GSPG said:

If you bought shares now you would get £150 OBC in May as the perk is available until end of July.

You could then sell the shares if the perk were to cease, or keep them and sell later. You may or may not make a profit, you likely would if you take into account the OBC. You would pay a charge to buy and sell.

There is always a risk the shares would go down slightly if the perk was discontinued and lots of people sell. However the company is probably doing better than expected and pending no more cruise industry issues should do well, however the situation with no dividend does not make them stand out. 

Buying shares is always a risk, I always look at the cost and ask myself whether I want to take a punt. You win some you loose some. Quite a few people took the risk when they were hovering around £5, that has worked out OK if they sold now.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, david63 said:

You should only buy shares, in any company, if you are either buying them for the long term or you are prepared to take a "hit" on them and only you can make that decision.

Depending on where/how you buy your shares you should be OK for a May sailing - from memory you have to apply at least three weeks pre cruise and as long as you have the required proof of ownership by then then you will be OK.

Thanks.

I suppose the only reason to buy these shares was to gain OBC if we cruised with Carnival in future. That’s by my calculation approximately just over six two week cruises on the current price to ‘pay for the outlay’, and you still have the shares.

But again, if it’s an unknown and the perk was ceased in July what’s the point in buying them as I’m not interested in what happens to the share price itself, unless they went to a really silly price!

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

If you bought them now, you should be able to register for shareholder OBC for the May cruise, which needs to be submitted at least 3 weeks before your cruise.

But of course no one knows if the perk will continue after the end of July.

Thanks.

That’s the thing, I would only buy them for the perk. And as that appears uncertain from July I think I will hold fire on these.

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

If you bought shares now you would get £150 OBC in May as the perk is available until end of July.

You could then sell the shares if the perk were to cease, or keep them and sell later. You may or may not make a profit, you likely would if you take into account the OBC. You would pay a charge to buy and sell.

There is always a risk the shares would go down slightly if the perk was discontinued and lots of people sell. However the company is probably doing better than expected and pending no more cruise industry issues should do well, however the situation with no dividend does not make them stand out. 

Buying shares is always a risk, I always look at the cost and ask myself whether I want to take a punt. You win some you loose some. Quite a few people took the risk when they were hovering around £5, that has worked out OK if they sold now.

Thanks.

Yes at £5 a pop I would have bought them whatever.

But again, the only purpose would be for OBC, and as suggested with the uncertainty of the perk after July I might park my decision for a while.

• Like 1

Careful - however low the price, you can still lose a lot more money on the shares than you save with the benefit. 

Not that long ago they were a 'buy' at £40 and there were people on these very forums happy to buy at that price - that's a loss of around £3000 for anyone selling now.

Obviously the downside at £11 a share is much more limited, but it's still a potential loss of £1100 if things go badly wrong. Nobody expected the collapse of Lehman Brothers, Woolworth or Wilko, but sometimes things happen where they're least expected.

Invest only what you can afford to lose, as with all share purchases - particularly as it looks very much as if the benefit has gone.  I'm inclined to think it might return, but perhaps with a minimum shareholding of 500 or so shares to reflect the much lower share price.

13 minutes ago, Wivvy said:

Careful - however low the price, you can still lose a lot more money on the shares than you save with the benefit. 

Not that long ago they were a 'buy' at £40 and there were people on these very forums happy to buy at that price - that's a loss of around £3000 for anyone selling now.

Obviously the downside at £11 a share is much more limited, but it's still a potential loss of £1100 if things go badly wrong. Nobody expected the collapse of Lehman Brothers, Woolworth or Wilko, but sometimes things happen where they're least expected.

Invest only what you can afford to lose, as with all share purchases - particularly as it looks very much as if the benefit has gone.  I'm inclined to think it might return, but perhaps with a minimum shareholding of 500 or so shares to reflect the much lower share price.

Yes, if you buy shares just to dabble in shares and look to make profit, I assume most know the pitfalls, volatility and uncertainty.

If you are buying these shares to make use of the OBC perk, then as long as you will be taking enough Carnival cruises in future any purchase at the current price will more or less pay for itself in time.

In the short term, barring a stock market crash the gamble if you like is whether the perk will continue after July.

Personally, I’ll wait to see what happens in July, and go from there.

• Like 2

I don't know why everyone is so pessimistic the share perk will cease, they have kept it all through the recovery years of the pandemic - their ships have high occupancy and they are eating into their debt pile... Have I missed an announcement somewhere?

1 hour ago, lebreos said:

I don't know why everyone is so pessimistic the share perk will cease, they have kept it all through the recovery years of the pandemic - their ships have high occupancy and they are eating into their debt pile... Have I missed an announcement somewhere?

I agree, and I seem to think that in the past the continuance of the shareholder benefit always came after the annual results were published, as some sort of addendum at the AGM. Although I have been wrong once or twice in the past, but not often.😇

this is currently being discussed on the Cunard forum and one poster has said that they have the resolutions to vote on, including one that says recommendation that the shareholder benefit be continued. 

Maybe they're just doing things differently this year. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, elmsliebev said:

this is currently being discussed on the Cunard forum and one poster has said that they have the resolutions to vote on, including one that says recommendation that the shareholder benefit be continued. 

I think this is how it has always been done, I remember one year that after the vote at the AGM it was a few weeks before the shareholder benefit page was updated which started similar threads to this. This is why I think the perk will continue.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

I think this is how it has always been done, I remember one year that after the vote at the AGM it was a few weeks before the shareholder benefit page was updated which started similar threads to this. This is why I think the perk will continue.

hope so YP. We've got 1 Carnival cruise booked (Cunard) for June and our shareholder benefit has been sorted already. But I'm sure there will be others in the future...

• Like 1

On 2/27/2024 at 11:56 AM, davecttr said:

I have registered with Equiniti using the 11 digit shareholder reference i used to quote to shareholderbenefits when claiming shareholder onboard credit. I can now see my 100 share holding and the up to date price.

I then contacted their helpline and explained the situation with Stockperks requiring recent proof of ownership. They agreed to send proof of ownership including all the details required by post, allowing 7-10 days to process the request.

I will then upload an image of the proof on the Stockperks App. Having verified my ownership I then will need to find out how I ACTUALLY apply for shareholder benefit for my Arcadia cruise, fourteen nights starting 30th July so I should get £150 OBC. I have yet to establish how I will get confirmation, maybe an amended invoice from P&O?

I received my proof of purchase letter from Equiniti today and have uploaded a redacted version of it to Stockperks. I suspect it may not work as when i uploaded the image it only included the central portion of the page  with the date and the Equiniti details missing.... just received an email fom Stockperks, they will respond within 2 working days. Probably to say try again?

3 hours ago, elmsliebev said:

That sounds more positive. It was Moley's comment re not an agenda item which spooked me.

• Like 1

Silly question probably.

If we are shareholders shouldn't we get the chance to vote on things like we do with any shares we hold in banks etc? I've never had a list of resolutions to vote on sent to me in the 6 years I have had shares 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, amajaa said:

Silly question probably.

If we are shareholders shouldn't we get the chance to vote on things like we do with any shares we hold in banks etc? I've never had a list of resolutions to vote on sent to me in the 6 years I have had shares 

I received my annual report and notice of annual meeting on Wednesday 

• Like 1