Share holder benefit

crompton21

3 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Could be. Mine are with Hargreaves Lansdown. Doesn’t explain the delay in getting OBC applied once the shareholding has been verified though?

Cunard and Princess seem to be very slow in applying the OBC once you have been verified. On the other hand P&O are very quick. Our October cruise took 1 to 2 hours to be confirmed and I had an email from my TA the next day. Not sure why P&O should be better I would imagine they are using the same systems as the other two.

• Like 1

Confirmation just received that OBC has been applied (having complained about how longs it was taking). Will await confirmation from TA before considering it done!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I emailed my Shareholder request form with a photo of the share certificate yesterday for our Sun Princess cruise this August.

Received the confirmation email reply this morning and my Cruise Personalizer now shows the added $250 OBC.

I also downloaded the Stockperks app, but have since deleted it.

Edited by Esprit

My experience with the Stockperks app for the shareholders OBC this week.

I installed the iPhone app and registered an account - pretty straightforward other than dates being mm/dd/yyyy rather than the usual UK format of dd/mm/yyyy.

My share platform, iWeb (part of the Lloyds, Halifax, Bank of Scotland group), wasn't one of those listed where they can link directly, so I downloaded a single page of the pdf of my most recent statement that showed the shareholding from iWeb and uploaded it through the Stockperks app on Tuesday morning - about ten minutes of effort from start to finish.

Wednesday morning the app showed that the shareholding had been confirmed and offered the opportunity to redeem the OBC, and just needed the cruise booking number, the date of the cruise, and my name - about two minutes of effort.

This afternoon, Friday, I received an email from Stockperks saying that the the OBC had been applied, and then eight minutes later an email with an updated statement from the travel agent I use.

Frankly it was an *awful* lot more efficient than previous cruises with P&O and emailing the shareholder team with a statement, and on more than one occasion painful lengthy calls to find out why they hadn't dealt with it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’ve now had the revised booking confirmation from our TA showing the $250 OBC (Cunard) has been added. Interesting that you get more OBC with Cunard than P&O. In my case, using Stockperks was a much slower and more frustrating experience than applying to Carnival directly, but at least it’s done now.

I reckon that the OBC that I’ve been credited with in the first year that I’ve owned the shares is now over 150% of the total cost of the shares, and the shares themselves have increased in value by over 50% so, in total, I’ve trebled my investment in 12 months. I wish that all my other shares in the past had been as lucrative 😂 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

Interesting that you get more OBC with Cunard than P&O.

The figures of $250 / €200 / £150 haven't changed in years and just reflect the declining value of sterling - at £1 to $1.66 or £1 to €1.33 the OBC would be equal, but sterling hasn't been there in years.

• Like 1

I’ve now had the revised booking confirmation from our TA showing the $250 OBC (Cunard) has been added. Interesting that you get more OBC with Cunard than P&O. In my case, using Stockperks was a much slower and more frustrating experience than applying to Carnival directly, but at least it’s done now.

I reckon that the OBC that I’ve been credited with in the first year that I’ve owned the shares is now over 150% of the total cost of the shares, and the shares themselves have increased in value by over 50% so, in total, I’ve trebled my investment in 12 months. I wish that all my other shares in the past had been as lucrative 😂 

Think you only get more because of the exchange rate as it has been those set figures for years. The exchange rate used to be a lot better in the past than current exchange rates so there was very little difference.

• Like 1

I wish that all my other shares in the past had been as lucrative 😂 

After paying over £6 for just a regular bottle in Lidl the other day, I did wonder how my shares in the Genco Pura Olive Oil Company are performing these days.🤔

15 minutes ago, 9265359 said:

The figures of $250 / €200 / £150 haven't changed in years and just reflect the declining value of sterling - at £1 to $1.66 or £1 to €1.33 the OBC would be equal, but sterling hasn't been there in years.

It used to be £125 OBC for two weeks when we started cruising which was about the same value as $250, then they realigned the OBC to £150. Another realignment is long overdue but I won't hold my breath. 

11 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Another realignment is long overdue

I would be more inclined to think that any realignment would also involve an increase in the number of shares held. My understanding is that a lot of Carnival's passengers bought the minimum 100 shares when they were at "bargain basement" prices during Covid and it must be costing Carnival considerably more now than pre Covid - although they may also take the view that it encourages loyalty.

4 hours ago, david63 said:

and it must be costing Carnival considerably more now than pre Covid

£150 of OBC spent in the bar is costing Carnival about £15 at most - and if someone has spent a few thousand on the cruise to redeem that OBC that costs them virtually nothing then I am sure Carnival are more than happy with more people doing so.

10 minutes ago, 9265359 said:

£150 of OBC spent in the bar is costing Carnival about £15 at most - and if someone has spent a few thousand on the cruise to redeem that OBC that costs them virtually nothing then I am sure Carnival are more than happy with more people doing so.

That logic is not quite right - yes it may only cost Carnival £15 but by definition they are then losing £135 profit.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, david63 said:

That logic is not quite right - yes it may only cost Carnival £15 but by definition they are then losing £135 profit.

Not necessarily so because would people buy the same amount using OBC if it was their own money. If not then Carnival wouldn't be losing so much profit.

1 hour ago, david63 said:

Only on two conditions.

1 . It requires people not spend less than they would have done had they not received the OBC, and an awful lot of people treat OBC as 'free' money and spend the same 'real' money as they would do anyway.

2. It requires people to be booking a Carnival Corp cruise irrespective of the OBC, and being persuaded to book a Carnival Corp cruise over another cruise line, another type of holiday, or no holiday at all because of the OBC.

Sure some people will spend less because of the OBC and some would have booked anyway, but you really don't need that many people to be splashing thousands on a cruise they wouldn't have done just because they get a £150 in OBC, OBC which most likely will result in them spending no less cash onboard.

2 hours ago, david63 said:

Loyalty.   

I am a share holder and I come back to a Carnaval cruise line to redeem that OBC.  It tempts me away from travelling with another cruise company.

1 hour ago, Harryjacobs said:

Loyalty.   

I am a share holder and I come back to a Carnaval cruise line to redeem that OBC.  It tempts me away from travelling with another cruise company.

I agree it is an incentive but, in my case anyway, not a driving force.

Its nice to have - I didn't manage to buy mine at rock bottom but I'll be happy to have the OBC to tot up and eventually cover the cost of the shares - as i only do 1 cruise a year maximum. When retired I may make up for lost time... Who knows they may even eventually start paying dividends again in about 10 years...

• Like 1

I bought when they cost £2100 but have had more of that in shareholder benefit. This year i am only taking 1 P&O cruise and the return on that is still over 7% tax free.

4 hours ago, 9265359 said:

Only on two conditions.

1 . It requires people not spend less than they would have done had they not received the OBC, and an awful lot of people treat OBC as 'free' money and spend the same 'real' money as they would do anyway.

2. It requires people to be booking a Carnival Corp cruise irrespective of the OBC, and being persuaded to book a Carnival Corp cruise over another cruise line, another type of holiday, or no holiday at all because of the OBC.

Sure some people will spend less because of the OBC and some would have booked anyway, but you really don't need that many people to be splashing thousands on a cruise they wouldn't have done just because they get a £150 in OBC, OBC which most likely will result in them spending no less cash onboard.

Loyalty perks must work or cruise lines would not use them, I dont think cruise lines or supermarkets would be such keen users of loyalty/reward cards if they did not believe they increased sales.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Loyalty perks must work or cruise lines would not use them,

I certainly think they do.

A minimal cost for the perk, whether it is a shareholder OBC or a tier level with a lunch, slippers, early boarding, whatever, and people keep coming back and handing over thousands.

11 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I dont think cruise lines or supermarkets would be such keen users of loyalty/reward cards if they did not believe they increased sales.

Supermarket 'loyalty' cards are a completely different kettle of fish.

Although in the past they were loyalty cards with the aim to accrue points to get rewards and make customers 'sticky' to that retailer, now they seem to exist to convince mugs that they are getting a 50% discount on the item that is priced at £4 without a loyalty card and £2 with it, and to ignore the fact it is sold by every other retailer for £2 (and will be sold by the loyalty card retailer next week at £4 on a 'buy one get one free' deal with no loyalty card discount).

• Like 1

Im trying to set up my Stockperks profile and every time I click on Carnival it says Oops sorry something went wrong try again later. Been doing this for over a day now, anyone else experienced this? Its for a cruise in June

3 hours ago, CCFC said:

Im trying to set up my Stockperks profile and every time I click on Carnival it says Oops sorry something went wrong try again later. Been doing this for over a day now, anyone else experienced this? Its for a cruise in June

Working OK for me have just checked it.

Impressed with Stockperks. Downloaded the app and applied for obc on an August Princess cruise and it was confirmed 3 days later. Then I applied for a December P&O cruise yesterday and today confirmation arrived. I was really wary of the new arrangement but I have never had it applied so quickly. In fact the first time I did it through my stockbroker and it was not applied until 2 days before the cruise and that was due to the intervention of our TA. 

• Like 1